: Trailing Arms

lollygagger8
06-30-08, 03:41 PM
I'm looking at the BMR trailing arms. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-V/TCA018.jpg
Does anybody have these? I wonder if they would help out the suspension at all since they have bearings instead of weak a$$ rubber mounts? Maybe get a little lucky and have less wheelhop? I'm not trying to cure wheel hop, just wondering if this will help turning and launching? Anybody have these, please chime in.....or (besides sway bars) anything else any better?

heavymetals
06-30-08, 03:53 PM
I use them.

Make sure you use shim washers to get the fit correctly before you torque them down or you will bend stuff and really be up the creek.

The toe rods are beefier also and the same goes for shimming washers.

lollygagger8
06-30-08, 04:29 PM
I use them.

Make sure you use shim washers to get the fit correctly before you torque them down or you will bend stuff and really be up the creek.

The toe rods are beefier also and the same goes for shimming washers.

Shim washers? Where at on top of the bolt where it attaches to the frame? Just to make sure it's straight up and down? That seems weird they wouldn't say that on the description!

Did you notice a difference in handling/turning and/or launching?

heavymetals
06-30-08, 05:04 PM
It doesn't matter as the thickness of the washer(s) are not going to change the geometry that much.

I think I ended up putting one on each end, top and bottom.

Not to keep it straight up and down, but to keep it from rattling, and if you try to torque them with out the washers your gonna bend stuff.

smoothq
06-30-08, 05:08 PM
I have the whole kit AWH bar, trailing arms, and tie-rod ends, never had just the AWH bar. But I definatly felt a huge difference in the launch and corners. But It is a bit noisy so your in for it if you get them. And yes you need washers for them to work they do not fit right. So If I were you I would purchase new ones. Just my .02

lollygagger8
06-30-08, 05:16 PM
I don't even have the bar, just the BMR Bushings. I was hoping it would help a bit. Ok, do you guys remember the size of washers you had?

Also, does anyone's BMR bushings creak? Mine are making a bit of noise going up and down my driveway. (at least I think that's what is making the noise) I'm thinking of taking the cradle down a bit and greasing the bushings up with axle grease? Silicone would wear off too quickly.

heavymetals
06-30-08, 05:21 PM
I went to the local hardware store and got several sizes, but 1/16" and 1/8" thick "fender washers" seem to work out.

Use rubber cement or crazy glue to stack them and hold in place for install.

Otherwise your in for a real exercise in four letter words. :tisk:

jweymar
06-30-08, 06:58 PM
I have the whole set up as well AWH, tie rod, pinion bracket, and trailing arms. They do creak I noticed at low speeds and more noise/vibration is transfered to the chassis but that also means much better cornering. I had tracked the car with and without the BMR stuff and it was very, very noticeable, actually increased my G meter at the track by .08 from before BMR to post install.

thebigjimsho
06-30-08, 09:31 PM
I would guess there is little tangible benefit...

heavymetals
06-30-08, 09:49 PM
I would guess there is little tangible benefit...

Well they (trailing arms) do get rid of more of the "rubber band" loaded suspension.

Same for the toe rods and a lot beefier then stock.

lollygagger8
07-01-08, 04:12 PM
I wonder if they help with launching? (not talking about dumping the clutch here...I already learned the hard way on that subject) just saying tame the wheel hop at all?

peter simov
07-01-08, 04:28 PM
I have them and i felt a diffrence the car feels stiffer and seems to feel better when i driff it a lil bit lol also seems when i hit it the back end just drops better and gives more traction cus before i could get my trires to spin rolling in 1st at 3k but now i can only get them to go at 4k just my .02
but i do need to say the stock ones i pulled off are a pice of $hit the rubber bushing has so much play in it i can move it with my hand some one did a vid where they showed how much play the t arms had on the car under load and thats what sold me but also i got 30% off so i jumped for it

gfourth
07-01-08, 04:32 PM
some one did a vid where they showed how much play the t arms had on the car under load

o1SSIGSTPBo

peter simov
07-01-08, 04:52 PM
yep that is it

lollygagger8
04-17-09, 11:38 AM
Ok, I'll be getting some washers to make sure I don't bend my new trailing arm "bearings"

My next question: did you guys have to lower your cradle to get the arms in/out? The BMR instructions say you have to lower the cradle.....I would think if you loaded the suspension, you wouldn't have to lower cradle???
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/TCA018.pdf

heavymetals
04-17-09, 01:14 PM
Yes, but you only have to lower it a bit to remove and install the stuff.

lollygagger8
04-17-09, 01:22 PM
Thanks Heavy!

rangerrob
04-17-09, 06:14 PM
what's up pete!? how've you been man? still slaughtering animals? lol

DisposableHero
04-17-09, 06:29 PM
o1SSIGSTPBo

wow that wheel hop looks horrible!