: Radio Volume Knob Removal?

AmesCTS-V
06-30-08, 01:20 PM
I'm trying to remove the radio volume knob. I thought it would just pull off, but I'm trying to break anything. I could swear the FAQ used to have something on how to switch out the knob for a lasstss one, but I can't find it. Any help?

The Tony Show
06-30-08, 01:22 PM
Pull it straight toward you.

The end.

AmesCTS-V
06-30-08, 01:29 PM
Pull it straight toward you.

The end.

That's what I thought. I'll give it a go again. It felt like I was going to break something.

The Tony Show
06-30-08, 01:38 PM
Don't wiggle it or you'll break the board that the inner knob is attached to.

AmesCTS-V
06-30-08, 01:49 PM
And then I assume I just push the new knob on... and try not to break the board in doing so.

thebigjimsho
06-30-08, 09:22 PM
The buttons on my unit were just fine(hahahaha). But I had a tiny, tiny pinhole on the tuning knob(hahahaha) and that was it. It was too small to bother me. Then, I let my brother borrow mah V. He thought the light through the pinhole was one of his boogers or something and he tried to pick it off.

Now, I've got this 1/8 inch peel on the knob. DAMMIT. I need a new knob...

The Tony Show
06-30-08, 10:03 PM
And then I assume I just push the new knob on... and try not to break the board in doing so.

I can't remember what year they changed it, but some of them are "keyed" (meaning they'll only go on one way). Make sure it's lined up before you press on the new one.

heavymetals
06-30-08, 10:07 PM
If you remove all the paint they "glow" at night as the light leaks through. :yup:

whisler151
06-30-08, 10:15 PM
If you remove all the paint they "glow" at night as the light leaks through. :yup:

The right knob on mine is already chipping. About a 1/8 spot in the center of the knob. I guess I need to drop it off at the dealership. :banghead:

thebigjimsho
06-30-08, 10:24 PM
The right knob on mine is already chipping. About a 1/8 spot in the center of the knob. I guess I need to drop it off at the dealership. :banghead:Doesn't Luke sell individual buttons and knobs??

whisler151
06-30-08, 10:34 PM
Doesn't Luke sell individual buttons and knobs??

I'd rather have my dealership order it and install it. Because my car is barely a year old they better cover it. If I need to I will pay out of pocket and order it from Luke.
Besides, this gives me another chance to get to know my service manager before something major goes wrong. :thumbsup:

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-30-08, 11:53 PM
If you're under warranty still, they'll just give you a new nav.

AmesCTS-V
07-01-08, 01:09 AM
Lukes price was so cheap on the knob it's not worth my time messing with the dealership. I ordered 4 so I should be safe for a while.

thebigjimsho
07-01-08, 10:55 AM
If you're under warranty still, they'll just give you a new nav.It's not like the nav is obsolete or wears out over time. I'd rather not deal with the hassle, especially if it's a simple job...

whisler151
07-01-08, 11:01 AM
It's not like the nav is obsolete or wears out over time. I'd rather not deal with the hassle, especially if it's a simple job...

Do you know how long it takes them to swap out the nav units? Are we talking a few hours or overnight?

thebigjimsho
07-01-08, 11:07 AM
Do you know how long it takes them to swap out the nav units? Are we talking a few hours or overnight?The dealer should only need an hour or 2. But you need to check and make sure you can go into comp driving mode.

whisler151
07-01-08, 11:14 AM
The dealer should only need an hour or 2. But you need to check and make sure you can go into comp driving mode.

Will do...that little chip in my knob is driving me crazy. If I have time I will drop it off today.

RightTurn
07-01-08, 11:41 AM
If you're under warranty still, they'll just give you a new nav.

Didn't I read here someplace that the replacement may or may not be "new"? I think some of the replacement NAVs are refurbs, though I suppose that's not a biggie. I'm just sayin.

The Tony Show
07-01-08, 12:19 PM
:yeah:

My Nav was replaced for a peeling faceplate, and the refurb I got has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. :mad: If all you need is a new tuning knob, just order it from Luke and replace it yourself.

ewill3rd
07-01-08, 10:40 PM
To remove knob:

step 1: grab knob
step 2: pull
:lol:

Yeah the faceplate, knobs, and buttons are all serviceable. I have seen a lot of refurbs come with issues and require reorders. Sometimes I have had to swap parts off the old ones to the new ones. (I do that anyway with any woodgrain kits)
Most dealers don't know you can get the faceplate or the buttons but the knobs... a lot of dealers stock them now.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-01-08, 10:46 PM
Price?

thebigjimsho
07-01-08, 10:55 PM
PM Luke, aka LindsayCadillacParts, and he'll let you know pronto...

beartrace
07-02-08, 12:16 AM
I took my car in for other warranty work and asked for a new knob as the paint on mine was flaking. I got a replacement radio - the dealer said that was the only way they could get the knob. I have since learned that the dealer can get the knob...... Order the knob, you probably get a rebuilt radio.

ewill3rd
07-02-08, 07:49 AM
Verify with Luke, but the buttons are $16 a piece, not sure on the knobs.
I think the blank faceplate with no buttons is $16 also (weird huh?).
I think you can get a faceplate loaded with new buttons but I am not sure... we had one like that but it may have been a base radio... I get confused a lot on my old age :lol:

CadzillaTN
07-05-08, 02:58 PM
I have a small patch of dead pixels in the middle of my screen. wonder if that qualifies for a replacemant under warranty.? it may not be worth the hassle...