: Can I hit 400 HP in and still pass California smog?

Bent Halo
06-29-08, 09:20 PM
Hi All. I have a question for those of you in the know...is it possible to ad mods to my 05 V that will bring it to 400 horsepower at the rear wheel and still be able to pass the california smog testing? If so what upgrades would you recommend?

Luna.
06-29-08, 09:22 PM
With a good tune, you can hit 440-450 rwhp with a maggie and easily still pass smog.

NOS would be another option that would easily pass smog and easily surpass 400 rwhp.

Heads/cam? That's a little trickier. I'm not sure, so I'll defer to those in CA that have had that work done, but it would most assurdly be harder to pass smog.

Bent Halo
06-29-08, 09:30 PM
With a good tune, you can hit 440-450 rwhp with a maggie and easily still pass smog.

NOS would be another option that would easily pass smog and easily surpass 400 rwhp.

Heads/cam? That's a little trickier. I'm not sure, so I'll defer to those in CA that have had that work done, but it would most assurdly be harder to pass smog.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about a maggie, but was under the impression that might not pass smog in Cali because of strickter standards. Anybody in cali have a maggie and if so whats your experiance been?

CIWS
06-29-08, 09:31 PM
:nox: 150 shot.

korizzle
06-30-08, 02:18 AM

actually any brand of nitrous would be fine.

Gerbonium
06-30-08, 03:41 AM
technically if it has a carb number it should pass. i believe maggies are smog legal (they have a carb certification number). LT headers arent because that requires you to move the cat which in california isnt technically legal. however i think it depends on where you go as i looked at a v a week or 2 ago with full exhaust including headers. it had cats so it would pass the smog check. its just a matter of the visual inspection. i think it would depend on where you go

ewill3rd
06-30-08, 09:08 AM
Any bolt ons have to have CARB certification numbers on them, but otherwise all you have to do is keep the check engine light off.
If it is a newer car they do an OBD test and don't sniff it.
(except special cases)

Bent Halo
06-30-08, 11:09 AM
:lildevil:Thanks for the input everyone! The more I think about it the more I like the idea of throwing a maggie on it. :lildevil:

CTSV_510
06-30-08, 11:39 AM
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of throwing a maggie on it. :lildevil:

Who doesn't?

Bent Halo
06-30-08, 12:48 PM
dunno....maybe this guy? :wisdom:

ROG
06-30-08, 01:03 PM
dunno....maybe this guy? :wisdom:

That guy looks like Randy and he already has a Maggie!! :yup:

Sorry Randy, you old coot, couldn't resist !!!

:)

Bent Halo
07-01-08, 03:54 PM

One question I meant to ask you is can you hit those kind of numbers tuned on Californias 91 octane pisswater?

:ride:

RGRATTAN
07-01-08, 07:03 PM
When I look at Maggies home page they have an CARB E.O. that applies to 04 models I am skeptical if you have an 05 and an anal smog guy that you would get a passing grade... I hope I'm wrong but it was a major concern.

Bent Halo
07-02-08, 05:37 PM
When I look at Maggies home page they have an CARB E.O. that applies to 04 models I am skeptical if you have an 05 and an anal smog guy that you would get a passing grade... I hope I'm wrong but it was a major concern.

well...I definately would check around with some friends for a lead to somebody that was non anal before taking a modded rig to somebody...

Luna.
07-03-08, 12:42 AM
One question I meant to ask you is can you hit those kind of numbers tuned on Californias 91 octane pisswater?

:ride:

Easily. Not only was I able to do exactly that, but I know of several other CA Vs that did it as well. :thumbsup:

Luna.
07-03-08, 12:43 AM

All hell will break loose if they try and pull that one.

I'm fairly confident that it doesn't apply solely to '04 models anyways. That just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Bent Halo
07-03-08, 02:26 PM
Easily. Not only was I able to do exactly that, but I know of several other CA Vs that did it as well. :thumbsup:

Nice!! How much do you think you spent on putting that all together including installation, tune and supporting mods??

:run:

Luna.
07-03-08, 05:11 PM
Nice!! How much do you think you spent on putting that all together including installation, tune and supporting mods??

:run:

Well, that question has many variables. I was fortunate enough to get involved in a group buy on my supercharger (I think I paid ~$5,000 was it? Maybe $4,800-$4,900--I honestly can't recall--somewhere around there).

I also paid to have my maggie installed, as I believe that goodwill at a dealership is a good thing (so I had them install it). That was something like a grand or so.

A good tune is about $400-$500 and well worth it in my mind.