: Great marketing skills by OnStar

MSOsr
06-29-08, 08:36 PM
I bought my 05 V and received it in February. The OnStar was not operational, as the previous owner's subscription had apparently expired. I attempted to activate it, but was told that the unit I had was analog and that OnStar went totally digital in 2007.

I received a letter last week, telling me that if my OnStar activated in a crash, OnStar would not receive the analog distress call from my car and the unit would keep calling until my battery went dead. The letter said I should either upgrade my unit to digital or have it disabled by the dealer.

The dealer told me they would charge me $15 to upgrade to digital....no brainer, huh? Then they said that I would also have to buy a year subscription to OnStar ($199..no problem) and pay an activation fee of $100, making a total of $314. When I said, "Why should I have to pay the fee when I have an active OnStar account in my other Cadillac and just bought the V?", the dealer agreed and gave me the number to OnStar.

I called them, explained my situation and was told, "Tough.....pay the $100 activation fee or you don't get OnStar."

But for the $100 fee, I probably would have bought 10 years of OnStar coverage through the years on both cars, at a minimum fee of $199/year for each car. Instead, I had the dealer disable my unit in the V. The current subscription in my 2007 SRX will be allowed to expire also.

Because OnStar wanted to gouge me $100 for buying a car that didn't have an active account, they passed up thousands of dollars of subscription money in the future. Great marketing, OnStar.

Mike (majorly PO'd they didn't want his subscription money)

ROG
06-29-08, 08:46 PM
I thought they went digital in 2006!

Twitch
06-29-08, 09:22 PM
I disconnected mine at the trunk. Didn't like the fact that they can track my car whenever they want.

CTSV_Rob
06-30-08, 02:10 AM
OffStar is good for the wife but I thought it was a joke anyways. Used it twice in one year, both times not satisfied, let the subscription runout.

Installed a blue tooth interface and it works much better than the OffStar phone anyways.

ewill3rd
06-30-08, 09:13 AM
I have never thought that OnStar was for everyone.
The $100 fee was added earlier this year for people without subscriptions to cover the costs of initial account setups.
For some people it has proven to be a waste of money, for some it has proven to be a life saver. It all depends on your circumstances.

I let mine run out too, I could upgrade it but honestly I really don't need it.

rand49er
06-30-08, 10:40 AM
Got OnStar on both my wife's '04 Rainier and my '05 V. Hers had to have the $15 analog-to-digital fix, and since we were going to keep it active anyway, signing up for a couple more years (or whatever it was) didn't matter to us.

For her, the OnStar is probably a good idea. For me, less so.

urbanski
06-30-08, 10:54 AM
disconnect++

MWD
07-01-08, 02:55 AM
For some people it has proven to be a waste of money, for some it has proven to be a life saver. It all depends on your circumstances.

Hmm... say for instance you are IQ challenged and locked in your car? :histeric:

Michael

TaVern
07-01-08, 03:17 AM
I got a free tow from OnStar to the dealership of my choice.

No complaints from me.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/141967-clutch-problem-moore-cadillac-no-lindsay.html

ewill3rd
07-01-08, 07:25 AM
You slay me Justin... :lol:

MWD, so I take it you have heard the "blondestar" clip?

MSOsr
07-01-08, 11:41 AM
I got a free tow from OnStar to the dealership of my choice.

No complaints from me.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/141967-clutch-problem-moore-cadillac-no-lindsay.html

I get a free tow through my insurance and my extended warranty.

Mike

MWD
07-01-08, 12:49 PM

Yes, but I decided to forego the stereotype... :D

Michael

CTSV_Rob
07-01-08, 12:52 PM

That one is worth sharing Bill.

qrt2q6Mpeyc

TaVern
07-01-08, 12:55 PM
I get a free tow through my insurance and my extended warranty.

Mike

And I don't.

But OnStar will help me out in that situation.

TaVern
07-01-08, 12:56 PM
That one is worth sharing Bill.

I like the southern accent :lol:

ewill3rd
07-01-08, 10:37 PM
I liked that when I first heard it. An instant classic.

Sadly I have heard real life stories of people who do stuff like that.
I heard about a guy who's alternator was bad in a minivan, when the battery finally died and he coasted to the side of the road he couldn't get out because the power locks didn't work so he shattered out the window and crawled out!