: Clarification on a few electrical things (99 Deville)

Justin89t
06-29-08, 02:18 PM
1: In regards to the GMRC03 and relocating the radio. What I have gathered from searching is that it is hit and miss with the GMRC03. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. There is no rhyme or reason to its success. Relocating the radio which entails a harness with constant/ground/databus +/- (Metra P/N *will update in a few hours*) works every time.

2: When using the GMRC03 you are provided with a good constant/switched/ground to use. When using the relocation method you have to get a ?Constant? lead from your battery. I was under the impression the factory harness had constant, but no switched. (Being as switched power comes through as a data signal on the databus lines) Am I wrong in my thinking?

3: You cannot tap into the ignition harness. Is this a true statement? If so, how are aftermarket alarms, remote start systems installed? Both of these devices tap into the ignition harness primary.

4: I've read on here the stock speaker size is a 5 1/4. Infinity systems website *which is generally accurate* says they are a 6.5. Is there a mounting bracket that houses a 5.25 that can be removed leaving a 6.5 opening? Maybe the Bose has a 5.25 and the standard has a 6.5? Or is it just a 5.25 opening across the board and that's what I am stuck with?

Thank you,

Justin

still_walkin
07-06-08, 04:33 AM
You can tap into the igtion but its a pain your right the radio has to 12v leads a constant and a ingtion but you can either extend the wires from the factory harnes or tap into the fuse box. Fine two fuses of the same rating as the current constant and ingtion for your radio and it will work that way also. Good luck

3rd Coast Balla
07-10-08, 01:58 AM
i got a 97 deville n i just relocated the factory hu cuz i didnt wanna have no problems. they are 5.25

BigOLak
07-17-08, 02:56 PM
I have a 96 DeVille and I did the factory relocation and it worked great! I ran a constant from the battery and tapped into the power window wire for my switch 12V. I tried 1 or 2 different "harnesses" and neither worked. The relocation takes more time and planning but it's cheaper if you build the harness yourself from junk yard parts and it's guarunteed to work.