: Thinking of buying

Mr. Bojangles
06-29-08, 12:43 AM
Well i found a 05 CTS-V that i am truly considering buying and was wanting to get a little insight into them. I was wondering what are some common problems with them and so on. The one i am looking on has 36K miles on it and all maintenance has been carried out at a certified cadillac dealership. Hopefully you guys can help a newbie out.

groverdill
06-29-08, 12:53 AM
Start here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

Tons of great info.

jerrad
06-29-08, 12:54 AM
The rear has the cluck problem where the diff is tilting up during take off. The rear also has wheel hop issues and can eventually break. The nav unit buttons will need to be replaced before to long. The motor mounts in general are crap and will need to be replaced. I'm sure others will chime in but thats off the top of my head.

BowenCT
06-29-08, 08:40 AM
They rule, buy one.

RightTurn
06-29-08, 10:57 AM
:yeah: And :welcome: to the forum.

CTSV_510
06-29-08, 11:19 AM
Stop thinking and buy one! :yup:

jbss71
06-29-08, 11:42 AM
i've never had a GM car with more stupid problems :o do your homework and make sure the stuff listed in the FAQ you have gone over on the car. its not a bad car once your get over hoping its starts in the morning, and pray the rear end doesn't pop.i'm starting to not touch nav. buttons for fear of another fight with the dealership :lol:

jguzma
06-29-08, 12:25 PM
I got mine three weeks ago and can't seem to stop driving it!! :lildevil: Fun to drive. Love it.

mschlott
06-29-08, 01:03 PM
I've been looking too and asked the same question a few weeks ago. Try to look at as many different cars as you can even if you know you don't want to buy them. Look at some higher milage cars and you will see the kinds of things that happen.

These are things I have seen.
The headlights pit and or peel. They usually start from the top. The dealer may or may not replace this under warranty. Search the forum for this.

If not well taken care of the driver seat will show wear like any other car from getting in and out. The owner may have replaced the tires with non-runflat tires. Not a big deal but be aware there is no spare in the trunk.

On 04s and 05s the OnStar system has to be upgraded to digital from the old analog to work. I think this costs arouns $300 search the forum or ask your dealer.

On 2 cars that I looked at the battery cover was coming apart. I still don't know why but I suspect it happens after a major coolant leak gets it wet.

Listen for clunks when starting the car, shifting into 1st or reverse. An indicator of bad bushings and or motor mounts.

Buttons on the nav unit and radio knobs have the black wear off. A dealer should replace this under waranty.

Make sure the car has the nav dvd with it. It may not be in the car on the lot, but the dealer should have it. If not, then you will have to buy one. Not cheap.

Carfax it. Become a supporting member. Request a copy of the Service history in the vin check sticky.

mike

Mr. Bojangles
06-29-08, 02:45 PM
Well i test drove it and didn't hear a clunk, but than again i really wasn't listening for it at the time. Nav buttons still look good and what not . I did notice that the headlights seemed to be pitting a little bit at the top, not nothing all that bad. As for Onstar its not something that i would need, so not to worried about the upgrade on it. Interior is in great condition. Does $26k sound outrageous for an 05 with 36k miles?

perfect
06-29-08, 03:04 PM
that sounds like a good price

I have an 05 (Platinum on black) that I bought last month with 38k miles

I got it for $26k (less with trade-in)

1badassv
06-29-08, 03:17 PM
26k is good. i just bought mine 4 months ago. u will love it.go for it

Mr. Bojangles
06-29-08, 04:39 PM
well i think you guys talked me into it. Hopefully monday i will be the owner of a V

tdyguy2k
06-29-08, 04:59 PM
Good luck with the purchase and welcome to the forum. I bought mine about 6 weeks ago, 05 Stealth Gray with black interior, 16.5K on odometer, for $28K. I've already put about 2000 miles on her. Love it, can't stop smiling.

Cowan480
06-29-08, 05:04 PM
BUY IT!!! you will love yourself forever!!!

rand49er
06-29-08, 11:22 PM
i've never had a GM car with more stupid problems :o do your homework and make sure the stuff listed in the FAQ you have gone over on the car. its not a bad car once your get over hoping its starts in the morning, and pray the rear end doesn't pop.i'm starting to not touch nav. buttons for fear of another fight with the dealership :lol:Saw a Prius being towed behind a tow truck the other day, and it wasn't because of an accident; it was dead. I guess here's someone who should leave the rest of us alone and go buy one of those. :helpless:

Other than the diff and a stupid clutch pedal spring, mine has been a gem with no nav button problems and has 41k on it. Doesn't take a withdrawal at Fort Knox to fix anything (ala the Germans) nor has it had numerous "service campaigns" to fix all their f***ups (like the Japs).

Quirks? Yes. Glitches? Yes. Have we got naysayers on our forum? Yup ... wish we didn't.

Go drive a G35/G37. Go drive an M3. Go drive any competitor. Go and compare. If you want something that requires a minimal level of attention (ala a car guy) and rewards you with power and handling to dazzle most anyone instead of zombie-like "the ... car ... must ... be ... perfect ... or ... I ... will ... be ... dissatisfied ... ", then get a V!

CtsVrod
06-30-08, 04:30 PM
well i think you guys talked me into it. Hopefully monday i will be the owner of a V

Uh Oh... I think I bought that Car yesterday!!! Was it at Symes??

jbss71
06-30-08, 06:43 PM
Saw a Prius being towed behind a tow truck the other day, and it wasn't because of an accident; it was dead. I guess here's someone who should leave the rest of us alone and go buy one of those. :helpless:

Other than the diff and a stupid clutch pedal spring, mine has been a gem with no nav button problems and has 41k on it. Doesn't take a withdrawal at Fort Knox to fix anything (ala the Germans) nor has it had numerous "service campaigns" to fix all their f***ups (like the Japs).

Quirks? Yes. Glitches? Yes. Have we got naysayers on our forum? Yup ... wish we didn't.

Go drive a G35/G37. Go drive an M3. Go drive any competitor. Go and compare. If you want something that requires a minimal level of attention (ala a car guy) and rewards you with power and handling to dazzle most anyone instead of zombie-like "the ... car ... must ... be ... perfect ... or ... I ... will ... be ... dissatisfied ... ", then get a V!:lol: i'm sorry that i like my car to start, have the rear diff stay together and not look like crap because Delphi cant make buttons

MikeNice
06-30-08, 07:10 PM
do it! do it! and begin ur love hate relationship asap...cuz when its good..its REAL GOOD and when it's bad u drive a loaner ( dealer provided) lol

gfourth
06-30-08, 07:36 PM
do it! do it! and begin ur love hate relationship asap...cuz when its good..its REAL GOOD and when it's bad u drive a loaner ( dealer provided) lol

I like your perspective!:2thumbs:

V-Love
07-02-08, 02:18 AM
Well? Did you do it or are ya still on the fence?

Mr. Bojangles
07-06-08, 11:53 AM
Well i haven't done it yet. Payments were going to be a little too high for my blood since i am a tad bit upside down in my lease and would have to roll over the negitive equity. If i can find someone to take over the lease of my 07 328i than i would be all over it in a heartbeat.

Cowan480
07-06-08, 11:59 AM
55,000 miles with no major probs.

at 56,000 I did complete engine rebuild on a great engine, now I have been welcomed to mod hell!! V is in the shop!! Another dead Maggie in 7 Days!!

Kado91Z
07-06-08, 01:19 PM
just do it! I just pulled the trigger and am paying more than i wanted to, but driving it makes me forget it

Mr. Bojangles
07-06-08, 06:20 PM
just do it! I just pulled the trigger and am paying more than i wanted to, but driving it makes me forget itsomething about a $600 a month car note on a 3 year old car seemed crazy to me, but trust me i am still considering it

Lynardskynard
07-06-08, 10:09 PM
Just pulled the trigger on mine Saturday. If you have the money, you will kick yourself if you don't do it. Mine was around $600/mo for an 05 with 13,800 miles. The interior still smells new. Just do it.:highfive:

razl
07-06-08, 11:17 PM
I gotta chime in on the payment - I had neg equity as well and rolled it into my 06 V (w/23k in late 07) and, yep, my payments hit the $800 mark. But, the vehicle I was coming out of ('02 Lincoln LS manual!) was out of warranty and not far from some real $ problems, and I got in with real low GM financing and the extended warranty. In the end, it's a _lot_ more than I wanted to pay or ever have paid for any car, but Kado91Z was right: every single time, I mean every time, I'm behind the wheel I forget about it. I can't think of any other car I would have gotten (at the time, in the low 30s) not then or now. There's nothing else I'd rather be driving that is within 2-times the cost - nothing. One of the things that you just can't buy with a lot of the other comparable cars is the cache - it's a niche car, you don't see many of them and it's got everything in the guts to back up it's sharp as hell looks.

As an aside, back around 2001 I was contracting and flush with cash, and I was lucky enough to be able to buy my dream bike right off the showroom floot: a Kawasaki ZX7R (let's not quibble about better/worse bikes, or how stupid it was for me to plunk down 10k on a bike - it's what _I'd_ been in love with forever). It was highly impractical (my daily driver in Florida) but every time I came out of my front door and saw it, I got a sh!t-eating grin on my face just looking at her. I never thought I'd feel like that about a car (at least not one I could afford) - but my V does the same thing. I kid you not, I look out the house windows at it and smile (and then usually find an excuse to grab the keys and go cornerin').

Kill me now, but it's worth every single penny. I only cringe for a few seconds when I make the payment, then it all just fades away.