: "Competitive driving mode" issue??

mcfaddens17
06-28-08, 12:48 AM
Dealer just installed new radio due to the peeling buttons. Can't imagine why GM is losing money when they are replacing $2000 radios instead of just replacing $2 buttons, but that's beside the point. The issue I am having is that the message that usually pops up to show you are in "Comp driving mode" is not working for some reason. Any ideas? Is there something wrong with the setup in the new unit maybe? The T/C light works and lights up when I press the button, just not getting the message on the Nav screen. Hate to have the V down for another day while they get another radio in if I don't have to. Also, is there any way to setup the car to automatically be in Comp driving mode at start up? Hate how intrusive our traction control can be.

groverdill
06-28-08, 01:00 AM
That Nav is for a CTS not a V, back to the dealer you go....
They should be able to load the fix without much downtime.

Sorry man.

PISNUOFF
06-28-08, 01:05 AM
Many other threads on this. Dealer programmed it wrong.

1badassv
06-28-08, 01:12 AM
had mine replaced too but never had that problem sorry

mcfaddens17
06-28-08, 01:22 AM
Was hoping there was an easier option than heading back to the dealer again. Already had the radio replaced twice now in the last two weeks. First one they put in a different problem. Four days total down time now since they had to order both new units. Don't know that I can bare another day in a loaner DTS. What a boat. Is it just a simple download the dealer can do while I wait to get the correct programming? I kind of had a funny feeling the programming was wrong when the setup feature to change the steering wheel button controls was enabled on the new unit.

Twitch
06-28-08, 09:21 AM
All the nav units are set for the CTS.
If they can get to your car right away, they [I]should[I] be able to do it while you wait.

Mystical_Ice
06-28-08, 09:59 AM
takes 5 minutes for them to do. if that.

call ahead and ask if they can be ready for you when you arrive.

BacDoc
06-28-08, 10:52 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pic3174.pdf

CTSV_510
06-28-08, 12:16 PM
You cannot program comp mode to automatically be on at start-up.

mcfaddens17
06-29-08, 12:31 AM
Looks like it's back to the dealer first thing Monday morning, again. One other thought about the programming. With the current default non-V programming, the ability to change the steering wheel buttons setup is enabled. Will I loose this ability once they update it back to the V programming? Or is this an ability they can leave enabled?

jerrycecco
08-08-08, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys for this this thread, after reading this I realized I had not seen my Comp Driving Mode in a long time. And I too had my entire radio/NAC system replaced under warranty a few years ago. I called Crest Cadillac in Plano, TX I explained the deal and they fixed it in about 1hr today!! a Friday afternoon!!!

I'm getting closer to open tracking again..
Next: Sway Bars, all new fluids, PS cooler upgrade, alignment, steel brakes lines, brake pads,
new PS2 tires.............oh my..

--Jerry

groverdill
08-09-08, 01:16 AM
I too had my Nav replaced this week, they did not program it properly but did fix it before I left.

2 thumbs up for Marvin K Brown Cadillac in San Diego.

BacDoc
08-09-08, 11:18 AM
My buttons are peeling.....again. :(

ewill3rd
08-09-08, 11:23 AM
The issue is that on most cars the nav units are plug and play.
On the V, the radio has to know what car it is in.

On the Tech 2 they have to go into body, radio, special functions and do the "radio setup" procedure (or the VIN learn, I forget which).
This forces the radio to check other modules on the data bus for the VIN. When the radio identifies it's new home as a V the steering controls change function and competitive mode is re-enabled.

Sorry you guys have to deal with this issue, it is an installation issue as the tech didn't finish the job properly or recheck his work.
Take it back and let them know.

yonexsp
01-30-10, 06:04 PM
I have the same problem, but it appeared after I upgraded the Navigation firmware to support the latest maps a few months go.

Do I have to bring the car to the dealer to get the Nav reset, or is there a menu option to do it?

SkullV
01-30-10, 06:06 PM
I have the same problem, but it appeared after I upgraded the Navigation firmware to support the latest maps a few months go.

Do I have to bring the car to the dealer to get the Nav reset, or is there a menu option to do it?

Bring it to the dealer and have them flash it with a Tech II. The firmware update should not have changed anything though. At least it didn't on either of the Navs I have done it on.

deedubb
01-30-10, 08:26 PM
I also have needed to do this after a stereo replacement last year but haven't made it in yet. I'll go back and try to explain

talonstylz
02-06-10, 10:18 AM
Dont mean to sound dumb, but what is comp mode anyways? and how do i get it to turn on?

Thanks.

CTS-Voodoo
02-06-10, 05:41 PM
Well I guess Im off to the dealer as well. I had my radio buttons replaced (aka whole new stereo) and haven't ever seen the competition mode no matter what I've pressed or how long..

ChrisJon-V
02-06-10, 09:33 PM
Dont mean to sound dumb, but what is comp mode anyways? and how do i get it to turn on?

Thanks.

I'd like to know too.

yonexsp
03-15-10, 05:46 PM
Bring it to the dealer and have them flash it with a Tech II. The firmware update should not have changed anything though. At least it didn't on either of the Navs I have done it on.

I found the problem. One of my TPMS modules was broken and not sending a signal. If you don;t have the 4 TPMS modules working it won;t let you go into Competitive mode.

Once I got that fixed all is well now.

Stepside
03-15-10, 06:54 PM
I'd like to know too.

:thepan:Competitive Driving Mode is explained in your Owners Manual.
Push the 'T/C' button 2 times inside of 5 seconds.
The traction control is deactivated but, the 'StabiliTrak' remains on.
You will see it displayed on your Nav. "Competitive Driving Mode"

travellinmike
06-09-10, 07:33 AM
:thepan:Competitive Driving Mode is explained in your Owners Manual.
Push the 'T/C' button 2 times inside of 5 seconds.
The traction control is deactivated but, the 'StabiliTrak' remains on.
You will see it displayed on your Nav. "Competitive Driving Mode"

I thought competetive driving mode disabled all computer assistance.

My understanding is:
1 push TC button = disabled traction control but Stabilitrak still on.
2 pushes TC button = disables both traction control and Stabilitrak systems.

Guess I'll have to re-read my manual.

heavymetals
06-09-10, 01:40 PM
When in doubt, read the instructions.

PISNUOFF
06-09-10, 01:59 PM
ESTO.

1 push TC button = disables traction control but Stabilitrak still on.
2 pushes TC button = disables traction control and limits Stabilitrak system's control.
Hold TC button= disables both traction control and Stabilitrak.

kevm14
06-09-10, 04:19 PM
I seem to recall that on the C5 Z06 you pressed and held for competitive driving mode. Weird.