: GM Loses Money Because They Are Idiots

beartrace
06-27-08, 11:11 PM
I took my 05 to the dealer for service. It is still under warranty. I requested that they replace the volume knob b/c some of the paint flaked off. I got a call later, the dealer said that they ordered the parts I needed and the car would be finished the next day. They asked if that was ok or whether I needed it. I had another car, so it was no big deal. The dealer said "Good, the dash is apart - we cannot get just the knob, and GM is sending a complete radio!!!"
The know must cost about $0.25 - the radio a couple thousand. So now I have a new radio just to fix a two bit knob.
Any wonder prices are insane?

CTSV_510
06-27-08, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the club. I think somone said that GM doesn't want dealerships opening up the radios for some reason or another.

CIWS
06-27-08, 11:26 PM
It takes less time to swap an entire radio at the dealership than to pull one out, take off the face, and swap the buttons and knobs.

PISNUOFF
06-27-08, 11:45 PM
The supplier more than likely does not sell GM just the knob. And GM charges back the supplier for defective material.

PS. Not all of us are idiots.

CTSV_Rob
06-27-08, 11:54 PM
It takes less time to swap an entire radio at the dealership than to pull one out, take off the face, and swap the buttons and knobs.
Knob just pulls off I think.

The Tony Show
06-28-08, 12:28 AM
:yeah:

1badassv
06-28-08, 12:32 AM
ya but u got a brand new radio

nxlr8
06-28-08, 01:28 AM
Good luck on it being a brand new radio... it most likely will be a refurb... someone elses junk radio that was sent in to be repaired will now be put in your car...

I'm on number three... going in soon for number 4... none of them have been "new"...

lunarx
06-28-08, 02:05 AM
Guys, Luke at Lindsay can get you the Radio Knobs & Buttons.

The dealer probably knew they could get the knob but must have wanted to bill the max claim for a radio swap. :shhh:

heavymetals
06-28-08, 02:12 AM
I peeled all the paint off the volume and am slowly working on the other knob.

It BUGS THE CRAP out of my friend HAHAHA.

I think I am gonna repaint one knob green and the other red or blue.

Once the surface is broken (fingernail) it is downhill from there.

I think the paint is so bad it reacts with the oil in your fingers.

One more irk and quirk of the V that will never be fixed. :banghead:

If you need to flash it, let me know.

ewill3rd
06-28-08, 07:21 AM
The "knobs" are readily available from GM, in fact there is a TSB telling you to replace the knobs if they peel or flake. The part numbers are in the catalog.

The buttons are serviceable, we replace them all the time. Much cheaper than replacing the radio and much more sensible. Most (if not all but us) dealers don't know how to get the buttons.
It is by far easier and quicker to order the buttons we need, remove the radio, disassemble the faceplate and replace only the affected parts.
Yeah, GM doesn't want us trying to service these in the field but the buttons are pretty simple and our AVM is very happy that we started doing buttons rather than replacing multi-thousand dollar radios.

CIWS
06-28-08, 10:48 AM
The "knobs" are readily available from GM, in fact there is a TSB telling you to replace the knobs if they peel or flake. The part numbers are in the catalog.

That's because you work at Lindsay and you guys are the exception out there in the Cadillac dealership world, not the norm. :)

Which takes more time to do, pull the radio and replace the knobs and buttons or just swap the radio out ?

The procedure for those wondering is at the Cadillacfaq (http://www.cadillacfaq.com) (Thanks Reed)

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/radiobuttons/index.html

The Tony Show
06-28-08, 12:08 PM
GM loses money because they're on of the few large corporations left in America that actually treats their employees and retirees well and doesn't run a sweatshop like, oh, say......Toyota.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/auto/20080618/DC2541118062008-1.html

CTSV_Rob
06-28-08, 02:06 PM
I peeled all the paint off the volume and am slowly working on the other knob.

It BUGS THE CRAP out of my friend HAHAHA.

That white knob does stand out Heavy. Why don't you go read to match the cone you put on your Maggie? I think that would look cool and every time you look at the knob it would remind you of Maggie :cluod9:...

(I know, I know, if you want to be reminded of Maggie all you need to do is squeeze the throttle :jealous: ).

CTSV_Rob
06-28-08, 02:11 PM
:worship: Lindsay.

I went back to the original dealership to say hi to the salesman I purchased my car from and the GM of the dealership caught me. He asked me what I thought of there service and I was honest, I told him I went to another dealer. He wants to get me to come back but me and the service manager don't exactly see eye to eye so I doubt I will. Oh, and the Salesmand I was looking for was gone, too bad he is a great guy. Maybe not as good as Cadillac Tony but I did enjoy working with him.

All hail Lindsay.

Albertan
06-28-08, 03:58 PM
Since this thread seems to have morphed a bit to dealer service....I had poor service from my local dealer. I went to another and was treated very well. I wrote a complimentary letter to that dealership. And I wrote a letter to the owner of the poor performing dealership. (I knew him a number of years ago) He called me to discuss my concerns. He mentioned that he now had a new service manager and others in service dept. He apologized and asked me to phone him personally via his direct number if I ever wanted to buy a new vehicle. Last week I phoned him to get prices for a new truck, so I am now waiting for the 2009 order forms. It does pay to write a well written letter of complaint with detailed info. Looks like he had had more than me complaining to clean house like he did!

ewill3rd
06-29-08, 12:24 PM
It is "faster" to just swap out the radio but there are things that can make the overall visit quicker by replacing buttons.
For one thing, our V customers can call ahead (usually) and tell us what buttons they need. Luke can get them overnight or regular freight and we can put them in usually inside of an hour.
To replace the radio we need the part number of the radio that is in the car, meaning we have to have the car, then we order a replacement from Specmo. They come overnight and then we swap them out and do the setup procedures.

As mentioned in another thread, sometimes the replacements are messed up inside, and now you have pretty buttons but are waiting for another refurbished radio.
It just makes so much sense to do it this way but GM rarely calls me and listens to my advice... although sometimes they do call me and ask me for advice on some stuff... hmmm..

beartrace
06-29-08, 05:55 PM
...And now some other guy will get my radio that worked just fine. :bang2: