: Changing to performance spark plugs

lreddiablo
06-27-08, 04:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried performance plus such as the Bosch Platinums or the D3 spark plugs (which look like bosh). I am thinking of getting the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion plugs and was wondering about anyones' experiences about if it improved performance at all.

blunted
06-27-08, 05:07 PM
I was considering this as well (D3 Plugs) but I'm not sure we would see such a benefit as the STS-V guys do with 400+ HP.

dkozloski
06-27-08, 06:11 PM
Northstar V8s hate Bosch plugs and run poorly using them. There must be fifty threads in the Northstar forum on the subject. Everybody that knows anything about Northstars uses OEM and only OEM plugs. Don't waste your money going down that road.

lreddiablo
06-27-08, 06:23 PM
Ok, that's what I was wondering, i did searches using the phrase spark plug but couldn't find anything. So any other easy performance fixes that are good for the STS? I've got a Volant intake and adding a Corsa exhaust, thought spark plugs could be an easy performance upgrade. Anything else out there?

dkozloski
06-27-08, 07:13 PM
Not much. It's sparse pickings.

BMBSALES
06-28-08, 04:08 PM
Northstar V8s hate Bosch plugs and run poorly using them. There must be fifty threads in the Northstar forum on the subject....

isn't this the older northstars or the v too?

dkozloski
06-28-08, 04:18 PM
isn't this the older northstars or the v too?
Since a sizable percentage of the complaints involve the electrodes falling off the plugs I don't think it's limited to older Northstars.

justgreat
06-28-08, 08:47 PM
oh boy...that's a crap shoot...there are numerous examples of various engines running like crap after changing out the oem plugs. consider this:
how many miles do you think the design/engineering team spent testing the oem plugs? how many miles do you think that the aftermarket outfit spent testing your model vehicle with their plugs.

i had a 76 alfa romeo with the 2 liter 4 cylinder engine. it had a twin cam head with hemi combustion chambers with a center electrode and 4 side mounted electrodes on the spark plugs rather than the one electrode sitting over the center of the plug. numerous owners tried using standard plugs and the engine would not run properly...it stumbled and ran like crap....and this is 30 years ago without all the electronic controls.

stay with the oem and save your dough.

jackg
06 sts6