: HELP!! '96 Deville Starting Problem

DoctorHemi
06-06-04, 01:58 PM
:banghead:
My '96 Devile has been throwing fits recently, and I could use some help.

It won't do this all the time, but more often than not it does.

When I turn the key to start up (and this can be bone cold or warm), the engine will crank for 5-10 seconds with no start up. Then if i try again, it will fire after about 5 seconds. Sometimes it will start easier with a slight application of the accelerator. Then again sometimes it will fire right up with no problem.

Since it started doing this, I decided to do a few things to try and help it out.

None of them made a difference :banghead: .

I replaced the plugs and wires; with Iridium Plugs, and Belden Wires.
Replaced all, and I do mean ALL, Filters....with the exception of the fuel pump pickup screen.

The car has 96,750 miles and other than the starting problem, runs and performs great.

Just wish I could get the thing the way it should be.

By the way no codes present either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

BeelzeBob
06-06-04, 02:17 PM
Check the fuel pressure regulator. It may be leaking fuel past the vacuum diaphragm.

With the engine idling, remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail and watch the vacuum nipple on the FPR for any sign of fuel leakage...there should be none.

DoctorHemi
06-06-04, 02:34 PM
Im going to do that right now.

Do you have Yahoo Messenger? I ask due to the fact that I'm in my garage now, and maybe ya could help me tweak this thing out.

BeelzeBob
06-06-04, 11:27 PM
The other thing you need to check is the fuel pressure. There is a schraeder valve on the fuel inlet line to screw a fuel pressure gauge onto. You should see the pressure jump immediately to 45-50 PSI when you turn the key on and it should stay constant during crank. If the fuel pressure drops during crank then the fuel pump may be starting to fail. If the fuel pump is getting weak then it will not deliver full pressure at lower voltage levels...like when the starter is pulling the voltage down during crank.