: Your Objective Opinion, please

ExLexusGuy
06-26-08, 05:17 PM
Back in early '06, when I was just LexusGuy (GS400), I was considering a used V, but after reading about the issues (rear ends, motor mounts, overall quality) I went in another direction, and bought a new SRT8 Magnum. Aside from a couple of initial cosmetic issues, it's been hassle free, and it rips.

The downside is, it's automatic. I miss driving a stick. So, I started looking at used Vs again. Found a 1 owner '05 lease return at a local GM dealer with 37K miles with an asking price of $29K. Yeah, I know it's high, but I'm sure I could get it for less, as it's been on the lot for a month. It's the color I want, and it doesn't have a moonroof, which is also key for headroom for me. It's cosmetically pretty much flawless.

Took it for a drive yesterday. Definitely not as quick as the Magnum (sorry!) and doesn't stop as well, either. But, I like the handling, and I like the 6 speed, outside of the miserable stock shifter. There was a bit of drive line clunk on shifts, but it was really hard to drive smoothly, as the clutch engaged right off the floor. Is this something that's adjustable?

So, the question is - since it appears to have no issues at this point in its life, can I expect it to be reasonably trouble-free? I'm past the point of burnouts, axle hop or no. I'm not brand loyal; I've been driving for over 30 years, and I've had all kinds of Fords, Chevys, and Mopars (a few of which I wish I had now), along with Datsuns, Toyotas, a WRX and a Fiat. Every make has good and bad. I just don't want to make the move if the thing's going to give me grief.

urbanski
06-26-08, 05:34 PM
consider a VIN check, see sticky above, read my first post. good luck

CIWS
06-26-08, 05:35 PM
09V with a stick.

Civardi
06-26-08, 05:38 PM
There was a bit of drive line clunk on shifts, but it was really hard to drive smoothly, as the clutch engaged right off the floor. Is this something that's adjustable?

With a couple of weeks of practice you will get the hang of it.

So, the question is - since it appears to have no issues at this point in its life, can I expect it to be reasonably trouble-free?

I blew my radiator the fist week. I say no.

I was in the same boat you are. I wanted a manual with a V8 but needed a sedan. Not to many choices. I looked at BMW M5s and Audi S4 as well. Almost bought and RS6 but liked the V more. I found this forum and joined almost a year before I purchased and will never regret it at all.

Kmajecki
06-26-08, 05:47 PM
I went from a GS400 to a CTS-V. I definitely have more problems with the V, but i drive the crap out of it too so it's expected. Get an extended warranty and at least a UUC shifter!

korizzle
06-26-08, 05:48 PM
Took it for a drive yesterday. Definitely not as quick as the Magnum (sorry!) and doesn't stop as well, either. But, I like the handling, and I like the 6 speed, outside of the miserable stock shifter. There was a bit of drive line clunk on shifts, but it was really hard to drive smoothly, as the clutch engaged right off the floor. Is this something that's adjustable?

From edmunds follow-up testing...

2006 SRT8 Magnum
"This station wagon ran a 5.6-second 0-60 and a sub-14-second quarter-mile. We're not talking 13.9 either. How does 13.7 at 103.5 mph sound?"
"Those big brakes haul down this heavy hauler from 60 mph in just 117 feet."

2004 Cadillac CTS-V
"Our quickest 0-to-60 run came in at 5.1 seconds, while the fastest run through the quarter-mile took just 13.5 seconds at 107 mph."
"The brakes turned in an impressive 115-foot stop from 60 mph at the test track..."

not maaaajor differences...but enough to show you that you can't always trust your 'seat of the pants' dyno when comparing two cars.

make sure the dealer gives it a look over - the diff mounts could be bad if you have a significant clunk when shifting...covered under warranty. better yet, have them throw in an extended warranty good til 100k or 2010 and then rest easy at night!

oh and yeah, the shifter change is a must...something i'm working on riiiiight now! :thumbsup:

StealthV
06-26-08, 05:50 PM
Lost interest after "Definitely not as quick as the Magnum (sorry!)..."

JonCR96Z
06-26-08, 05:50 PM
Where abouts are you located?

Also acceleration and braking should be relatively identical. In my experience CTSVs don't feel as fast as other cars that are actually slower. Of course the SRT8s will kill a V from a stop. As far as the braking goes the brakes themselves are similar but the V weighs 2-300lbs less, so it should stop quicker.

Clutch engages right off the floor, could be worn out? Check to see if the fluid is low.

CIWS
06-26-08, 06:11 PM
Of course the SRT8s will kill a 04-07 CTS-V from a stop.

Fixed ! :D

heavymetals
06-26-08, 06:12 PM
Sounds like you have been lurking long enough and bought enough other brands to come here.

Buy it. If you don't like it sell it.

Your looking at a 4 year old obsolete car that is a hoot to drive and addicting to mod.

Do the vin check to find out if it isn't thrashed.

Search is your friend.

NormV
06-26-08, 06:19 PM
Got to love torque spike from automatic transmission torque converter. Greatest placebo of neck snapping power with nothing to show for it except it impresses the riders.

We'll give you a break as your coming out of the cocoon of autos. :)

Norm

CTSV_510
06-26-08, 06:38 PM
\
Found a 1 owner '05 lease return at a local GM dealer with 37K miles with an asking price of $29K.

You should be able to get that down to at least $26k (and ask them to throw in an extended warranty).

Took it for a drive yesterday. Definitely not as quick as the Magnum (sorry!) and doesn't stop as well, either.

Even though the magnum is realistically not any faster, if you hang around here after you buy your V, it will be definitely faster in no time, trust me!

... outside of the miserable stock shifter....

#1 first ever mod you need to do - B&M shifter $200 done.

So, the question is - since it appears to have no issues at this point in its life, can I expect it to be reasonably trouble-free?

Don't expect anything, you'll be happier in the end.

I bought my '05 in January with 37k miles for $26.5k and aside from having a couple warranty items fixed immediately, it's been nothing but great since!

BUY IT!

JonCR96Z
06-26-08, 06:55 PM
Of course the SRT8s will kill a 04-07 CTSV from a stop and it will kill any STSV period.

Fixed ! :D

Fixed again ! :D

CIWS
06-26-08, 07:13 PM
Really messed up again ! :D

:yup:

thebigjimsho
06-26-08, 07:24 PM
The which is faster is subjective as the V probably doesn't have the low end grunt the 6.1 has and seems peakier with the LS6. But I guarantee you the V isn't slower overall.

As for brakes, the V IS better. If the one you drove isn't, demand they throw on new pads of your choice. The V with with the right pads is one of the best stopping cars on the planet. On the track, I'm consistently braking deeper than almost everyone else...

tdyguy2k
06-27-08, 04:04 AM
I bought mine about 6 weeks ago, $28K with 16.5K on odometer. As far as #1 mod, I say skip shift eliminator, then shifter. My 2 cents, FWIW.

v-sam
06-27-08, 06:21 AM
Get an IS-F

Feffman
06-27-08, 07:25 AM
After 20+ years of imports including an Alfa Romeo 164, two Saab Aero, five Lotus Esprit, a Honda Accord, Jaguar XJR and an Audi A8, I was reluctant to buy the CTS-V. One drive and my wife's comment "That car is you!" and it was over. I absolutley love the car, not to convince people my choice was right but because it is great looking (not so round like nearly everything today), well built and fast. Three more things, and I'm not a "Be American, buy American" type of guy, but it feels pretty darn good to help our struggling US auto industry, the people I've met via this forum are a good bunch of blokes and my dealer (not as good as Luke and the gang at Lindsay Cadillac mind you) has been outstanding.

Yes, it has a wart or two (radio buttons and the whiney differential), but I still think it's great. So much so I'm trying to sell my 2004 and get an 2009. The few inexpensive mods (Ground Control suspension, UUC short shifter, CAGS elimiator and a K&N ari filter) are all I needed to make it even more exciting.

Feff

Twitch
06-27-08, 07:30 AM
Read about Summit point, read about all the V meets. Its not all bad. Most of the people have issues because of the mods.
The diff is a problem. Everything else is minor. I think its all related to the soft rubber pieces on the car (mounts , bushings, etc).
I drive my car hard, and I'm on my original diff @ 26K. You'll hear the same from many members.
The car is a hot rod, its super fun. But you gottaa give a little back.
Its not a car for cry babies :crybaby:
Good luck

Tony

Twitch
06-27-08, 07:56 AM
Your looking at a 4 year old obsolete car

MUST you keep saying that

CIWS
06-27-08, 10:03 AM
Get an IS-F

As he stated in his post,he doesn't want an auto tranny. Already had one.

dieselp
06-27-08, 10:59 AM
with a good driver a v will leave an srt8 my wifes cousin bought a new 300 srt8 and he was at a family gathering and was talking a load of sh!! i was not going to run him but he would not shut up. so we went and ran them from a dead stop we were pretty even until i got 2nd and then it was over just kept pulling on him up to 120ish about 2 1/2 cars out front. from a roll it was even better. i love the v i almost bought a vette but wife liked the V more and i enjoy not seeing my self coming and going in the V.

JonCR96Z
06-27-08, 11:11 AM
I ran a charger from a 20 roll and a 65 roll and either way I was leaving him. Though I'm not stock but I don't believe he was either.

ExLexusGuy
06-27-08, 01:09 PM
Wow. Thanks for the feedback. Well, most of it, anyway ;)

I like the one about obsolete. How old are you, 12? Obsolete's drum brakes, a carburetor, and a solid rear axle - not a 5 year old platform.

IS-Fs are fugly.

Yeah, I could buy it, and peddle it if I don't like it. The downside is, they don't sell around here (SF South Bay). You hardly ever see them on the road, and I think I've seen only one modded one ever.

The brakes on the example in question weren't great by any stretch. I was really surprised, because I remember them being impressive. Maybe there are substandard pads in there; I don't know.

We could go back and forth about which is quicker all day. The guys on the SRT8 forums swear the SRTs are quicker. The Mustang guys say they'll smoke both the SRT and the V. I can say that I've never been beat by a V, from a roll-on or a standing start. The particular one I drove a couple of days ago felt slower than my Magnum. Yes, I know the butt dyno is not real accurate. The ones I've driven in the past felt stouter. I'm a big fan of the LS motor, so I was disappointed.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Not sure yet what I'm going to do. Maybe an E39 M5...

NIK
06-27-08, 01:10 PM
Where do they get the idea that a Gen 1 CTS-V is "obsolete?"
Even 4 years later it's as fast or faster than 85 - 90% of the cars on the road, including the soon to be new Camaro and Challenger. To boot it has all the bells and whistles (Nav, heated seats, etc, etc, etc.) and still turns heads. A used one has to be one of the best freakin' buys on the market today. Where the hell you gonna get all that for $25,000 to $35,000?
That is why I'll keep my '05 forever. I should shell out another $35,000 to $40,000 and give them my baby for a Gen 2? My daddy didn't raise no fool. I'll keep it and, when a Gen 2 coupe comes out, replace my wife's DeVille with a coupe. But as long as my knees hold up I will continue to have a blast with my '05!

heavymetals
06-27-08, 01:19 PM
It's obsolete because it is discontinued.

If you haven't heard, the model is superseded by the 09 CTS-V.

I also have an OBSOLETE C5 Z06.

If you haven't heard, that to has been superseded by the C6 Z06.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obsolete

Refer to "B" :thepan:

Bueller
06-27-08, 04:34 PM
:werd:

Jayrcr3
06-27-08, 07:49 PM
The Mustang guys say they'll smoke both the SRT and the V.

A stock Mustang GT won't beat a stock V or SRT8 unless the drivers of the V and SRT8 don't know there racing.

JonCR96Z
06-27-08, 08:59 PM
It's obsolete because it is discontinued.

If you haven't heard, the model is superseded by the 09 CTS-V.

I also have an OBSOLETE C5 Z06.

If you haven't heard, that to has been superseded by the C6 Z06.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obsolete

Refer to "B" :thepan:

An old fashioned V! Has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

Civardi
06-27-08, 09:04 PM
An old fashioned V! Has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

I can't wait until 2024. Then I will have a classic.

1badassv
06-27-08, 09:39 PM
i think you will love the v. your magnums suspension is totally diferent and thats why it feels faster. had a 94 camaro and it felt hella faster than my v but when i went to the track i ran a 13.5. it takes a week to get the clutch down. u just have to release the clutch slower. trust me. u will love it.

beartrace
06-27-08, 11:16 PM
I recently boungt an 05 that had shifting issues - a jerk and clunk at 1-2 and 2-3. Dealer replaced a bushing under warranty, shifts great now.

ctsv154
06-28-08, 12:59 AM
Sounds like a few drive train issues with the one you drove. Clutch should not engage right off the floor. Good sign of neglect by the owner as well as the sub par stopping power. As posted before, with the right pads, the car will almost suck your eyeballs out on decel. For example, I was in a bind and bought some pads from autozone. Mind you they were the best they had. I took them of in less than a month because they were crap. Stock pads are great but I had a set of performance friction track pads and they were absolutely amazing. I did three back to back stops from 150+ and had ZERO fade and absolutely zero loss in break bite. They just felt like they would grab harder the more you pushed them. You couldn't even go from 120 to 65 with out getting MAJOR fade from the cheap crap autozone pads. Trust me, they make a world of difference!!! Get one, race a few people, and you will be forever in love with the V! I know the only way mine is going bye bye is if I can somehow afford an 09 or this one gets totaled. Either way, I will end up with another!

the cadillac kid
06-28-08, 01:17 AM
doesnt feel as fast as the magnum

2 things to consider:
-magnum has a PHD* button
-and not all people can drive a stick.

*Push Here Dummy

AlBundy
06-28-08, 01:07 PM
I don't know about the OP but you guys sure are convincing me about getting one.

CTSV_Rob
06-28-08, 02:25 PM
There is nothing like pushing one of these cars on the track and with a few bolt on Modifications it transforms the car into one of the best cars I have ever driven.

The stock Pads stop well but they dust up quick so you need to clean your wheels all of the time. I switched to the Hawk Pads and they work OK (not as good as stock) but much less dust. These Pads suck for the track but I switch to a set of Raybestos ST43 Compound (front and rear) and wow does this car stop.

If I were to buy this car again, required mods for me are...
1- Shifter and bushings (I like the UUC but I'm sure the others work well also)
2- Lightened Flywheel (The acceleration is much better)
3- Headers (Kooks, B&B, Stainlessworks,... All OK to me)
4- High flow Cats and cat back (I prefer the B&B but it is all up to taste)
5- Change the T56 fluid with a half ATF half Gear oil to help the transmission (I still need to do this)
6- PCV Catch can (My Intake is coated with oil, Catch can going in within the next couple of weeks.)

Everything else I have installed is fluff but I like. The above list is a must for me.

I like this car soo much I am going to keep her and haven't even thought about purchasing an 09 V.

I'm sure the SRT is fast but take her to the track to see what she can really do. That's where I found some of the weaknesses in the V.

The Mods continue... (Another part I enjoy about this car is adding the mods :D)

rdjiv
06-29-08, 02:58 AM
... The downside is, they don't sell around here (SF South Bay). You hardly ever see them on the road, and I think I've seen only one modded one ever....

Come on up to the meet at the end of July and check out some cool V's, from bone stock to modified (and even meet thebigjimsho).

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/141417-bay-area-ca-july-26th-31st.html

That should definitely help you make up your mind.

-Rod

ExLexusGuy
06-29-08, 04:02 PM
Based on 154's feedback, I passed on this example. Good point about the clutch. Also, I reached the same conclusion as you on the brakes. The Magnum has Brembos, too. The stock pads work great, but turn the wheels black in no time. So, like a bunch of other SRT owners, I went to ceramic pads - Centric, the only ones available at the time. No dust, but noticeably less braking performance, especially when wet.

Rob - thanks for the input on the mods. The shifter's just grim. The Mustang guys bitch about stock shifters, and I put a Steeda shifter in my Cobra, but the stocker's way better than the V's. Louder exhaust is a must, too ;)

Rod - went through the meet thread, but didn't see a final location. I think I'd like to meet up and see what there is to see. If you guys haven't picked a spot, I'm in Cupertino, so I vote for the new one in SJ.

CadzillaTN
06-30-08, 10:35 PM
Who cares how fast they are, Magnums are EVERYWHERE... I think the all black decked out version looks good, but there's no true exclusivity to owning one. The ugly base models are also dime a dozen. However, for the price conscious, it is a respectable buy at 37K. Or 27K the way dealerships are dropping trou to sell a gas drinking V8 these days...