: What to do with my 2000 DTS?

richardson42
06-26-08, 04:22 PM
The car has 100K on it but is in very good shape besides either the blown head gasket or cracked head. There is antifreeze in two of the cylinders. I have the option of junking the car and getting $1000, buying a Jasper engine and have it installed for $5000, or go with a used engine from a local shop for $3000. The place with the used engine said they have done dozens of them and have never had a problem with caddies. They offer a 6 month warranty as well. What do you think??

Submariner409
06-26-08, 04:47 PM
If the shop with the used engine option will, in fact give you 6 mo./6,000 mi. and install a 2000 or 2001 engine, I would think that's the way to go. The "new" used engine will have the original vehicle VIN derivative stamped on a pad on the side of the block just below the front of the right cylinder head, so you could have a GM dealer run it through the GM service/recall computer system and maybe find out the GM history for the engine unit.

If you want to go really wild, www.rhinoengines.com (http://www.rhinoengines.com) , left column, 'specials-specials' has 2000-2002 fully dressed brand new crate Northstars for $4995 delivered. (The picture is incorrect.....that's a late RWD pic. I called a while back and verified that they have FWD engines.)

tateos
06-26-08, 07:09 PM
My '97 blew a head gasket in 2005. I replaced it with a used '97 engine and that engine lasted 2 years and 21K miles before IT blew a head gasket. Then I learned what the problem and solutions were and repaired this engine with inserts and new gaskets. I think the car is definitely worth fixing, but HOW really depends on how long you expect to keep the car. You can put in the used engine if you plan to sell the car within the next 6 months - otherwise I like sub's suggestion about the new engine at rhino - that sounds sweet for only $5K! Of course, I think you should be able to have your engine repaired correctly for $3K or less... or DIY for ~1K. Personally, I would rather have my well treated and known to be good engine repaired over a used engine

BTW, I paid $2,500, bottom line, in 2005 for a used engine AND used transaxle installed in my ETC, and it WAS fine for 2 years.

mikelawson
07-01-08, 09:27 AM
if you decide to sell let me know as I am looking for something like that. I would be willing to pay about $2000 depending on condition. Let me know what you are planning and your location, Mike.

richardson42
07-03-08, 05:56 PM
i am located in state college pa. the car has 100000 miles on it. the wheels are great, the interior is very clean. all body panels are great except the passenger doors which have been professionally repaired by a cadillac dealer. the night vision works. let me know if you are interested

CadillacSTS42005
07-04-08, 12:16 AM
dude
id pick it up off you
love a DTS with night
and im in pgh pa
how far out are you?

Destroyer
07-04-08, 10:18 PM
I like sub's suggestion about the new engine at rhino - that sounds sweet for only $5K! Yeah but its going in a car thats only worth $5-$7k on a good day. The motor is $5k plus at least another $1k for the installation. Not worth it for me and I proved that cause I got rid of mine after it blew the headgasket. Sometimes its better to chalk up a loss than beat a dead horse.

CaddyTech423
07-10-08, 10:19 PM
Take it to a Cadillac dealership and you can get the head gaskets replaced and have no problems for about $2000.

hardley-etc
07-11-08, 08:32 AM
where is this shop in state college that has these "used" engines

what does this warranty cover

are they timeserted
if not, never know what you are getting

if you have room you could always part out the car and make way more than 1000.oo