: Best Gas Brands

jahngga
06-06-04, 04:51 AM
Do you fill up gas at any gas station or is there a preferred station that you go to. If so, why? I heard Chevron carries good gas because of the "techron".

invincible569
06-06-04, 07:50 AM
If you've been watching the news, Shell and Exxon recently had a bad batch of gas causing your gas readings to display incorrectly and who knows what else it may of caused to the engine that they are not admitting.

With that said, i've always chosen between the most popular ones such as Chevron, Shell & Exxon. Nothing else. Be careful with the others as they may be watered down causing serious engine problems.

hcvone
06-06-04, 07:58 AM
I have used Sunoco, Mobil and Amaco and never had problems, you usually will have less problems if you stick to brand names. :)

Sandy
06-06-04, 10:16 AM
I usually stick with Shell, Gulf, Mobil, Amoco, Getty &/or Exxon. However, gas prices are soaring so high here in N.J. that I switched to a local "no-name" brand call "A-1 Gas" ~ I have found absolutely zero problems with it. I asked the guy there what kind of gas it was, and he said it was a Gulf & Hess consortium purchase. So, who knows...

90% of our name brand stations have gone out, and have been replaced by:
ENRITE
A-1 GAS
ATLAS
VORONCO
POWER GAS
DELTA
DELTA is especially aggressive, opening them seemingly overnight. Today one has to "LOOK" for a name brand, as one may have had to "LOOK" for an off-brand some 3 years ago.

Hess in NJ is all but gone. Very very few Sunocos are left, most became Deltas. Very few Getty and very few Citgo (which is one gas I'd never buy).

MEJIA
06-06-04, 06:22 PM
When in Texas I stick only to Exxon or Shell, never had any problems with those brands.

Mejia

CVP33
06-06-04, 08:03 PM
There are currently only 2 gas refineries in the US. All gas is the same, however "some" companies do mix additives which they claim "help" your car's engine run better, longer, blah, blah, blah. The only thing you need to worry about is the octane. Run the appropriate octane and add a name brand fuel injector cleaner about every 5,000 miles and you should never have a fuel related issue.

Also there is a summer fuel mix and a winter fuel mix. The government sets strict guidelines as to which mix can be sold and when. This is to ensure proper combustion given an ambient air temperature of say 20 below vs. 95* F.

Grotto
06-06-04, 09:37 PM
What is the deal with the "brands"? In 30 years of driving and some 40+ cars or trucks I never paid any attention at the brand of gas and never had a fuel related issue.

Do not fall for marketing ploys.

My 2 cents.

T_Dogg8
06-07-04, 08:24 AM
i always use Hess or Sunoco. however i have been buying from a 'no-name' recently because they are giving me a discount. so far so good. however, we have a convience store around here called Sheetz. they almost always have lower prices, but i will never buy from them. you get much lower fuel economy with them. up to 3 miles per gallon less. i was told by a lawn mower salesman never to put there gas in your lawn mower, so i'm sure as hell not putting it my escalade.

i have noticed different fuel ranges from different brands. so shopping around comparing is worth it. i say fill up at a different place each time and calculate your fuel economy. then go with the best.

brett79
06-07-04, 09:01 AM
What is the deal with the "brands"? In 30 years of driving and some 40+ cars or trucks I never paid any attention at the brand of gas and never had a fuel related issue.

Do not fall for marketing ploys.

My 2 cents.
I would definitely agree with you... do not believe the HYPE!!!! Just use the proper Octane!