: VCR Advice, Help! Missed big game!

Ralph
06-06-04, 03:56 AM
My Philips VCR died during the last half of the stanley cup playoff! :rant2: I go to buy a new Toshiba 4 head Hi Fi, tonite. I noticed some changes from a few years ago, namely, what happened to the 3 extra AV jacks in the back of the new VCR's? Also, when testing it, I recorded one show, and tried to watch another, I still got the sound from the recorded show!? I matched all the jack colors, and pressed TV/VCR to switch, and still nothing but frustration! I got impatient and took back the Toshiba and got a JVC 4 head, hi-fi. THE SAME thing is happening, plus two channels have sound from another channel! And the clock lost 3 minutes tonite! This is getting ridiculous and frustrating! Now I have to go back tomorrow and I'll probably get a Sony or something more than I wanted to spend in the first place. I am certain I have all the right connections because I've been through this many times, but I just don't have much luck with electronics. I don't want a combo machine with both DVD/VCR because I just bought a new DVD player.

What are the best, most long lasting VCR's in your opinion? I've heard Panasonic's are good, but then that's what I thought about JVC and Toshiba. Who ever said "technology is our friend" is a nutcase. :rant2:

Msilva954
06-06-04, 08:31 AM
Cant really help you, get the cheapest DVD recorder and hook your TV to your computer.

elwesso
06-06-04, 12:07 PM
I like the DVD recorder.. USe DVD-RAM and you can record/rerecord as many times as yo u like

IM haveing a hard time picturing whats happening.. you dont by any chance have PIP on your TV. Are you hooking it up with coaxial connections or RCA (the colored ones)

Stoneage_Caddy
06-06-04, 12:55 PM
"need help vcr died dureing big game"

tie it to your car and drag it to 120 kph , may not fix it but you will feel beatter

Ralph
06-06-04, 06:48 PM
"need help vcr died dureing big game"

tie it to your car and drag it to 120 kph , may not fix it but you will feel beatter

Good advice, and I would have done that yesterday! :devil: I'm calm now. :bighead:

Ralph
06-06-04, 06:55 PM
I like the DVD recorder.. USe DVD-RAM and you can record/rerecord as many times as yo u like

IM haveing a hard time picturing whats happening.. you dont by any chance have PIP on your TV. Are you hooking it up with coaxial connections or RCA (the colored ones)

DVD recorders are too expensive here, but in the future, for sure. I know Philips makes one. When I get one, I'll need your advice.

No pip, but you guessed it about the connections. I took back the JVC and got a Panasonic, which had better instructions for the hookup! The problem is that if you have direct cable feed into your VCR like I do, then you don't hook up the red, white and yellow A/V jacks in the back of the VCR, you just feed the cable. The sound is great, and so is the pic now. Panasonic is the only instruction manual (of the 3 I had) that makes this clear because the others showed ALL the colored cables hooked-up, which is incorrect.

For 5 yearsI could have got better sound from my other VCR and didn't even know it. :rolleyes2

Now I'm ready to record the Flames victory on Mon! :devil: :p

Dead Sled
06-06-04, 08:14 PM
VCR whats that? hehe :D

Ralph
06-07-04, 04:00 AM
VCR whats that? hehe :D

It's old, cheap technology that WORKS, when it doesn't break down! :rant2: :banghead:

I doubt I will bother springing for the extra 4 year coverage for $25 bucks, but I gotta have something to watch all my pre-recorded action movies. :coolgleam

RBraczyk
06-07-04, 07:18 AM
4 head VCR's work nice...not that i have one....

tru504187211
06-07-04, 04:48 PM
Easiest to work with would most likely just to buy a TV-pci card for your computer to record and watch directly like that.

Msilva954
06-07-04, 08:42 PM
Im with Tru, much cheaper then a DVD recorder and you are only limited by your harddrive size.

Dead Sled
06-07-04, 09:27 PM
I had a Beta hehe

and my VHS just collects dust

I play DVDs and recor all from my puter

tru504187211
06-07-04, 09:34 PM
Ah dammit! that is exactly what I am missing from my 'media center' that i built!

Ralph
06-08-04, 02:55 AM
Easiest to work with would most likely just to buy a TV-pci card for your computer to record and watch directly like that.

So if I buy a new computer, is that what they mean by "CD-RW?" Meaning I can burn cd movies? I have a "Cyberhome" dvd player that is compatible with burned DVD's.

How close to reality are these "digital recorders" they show on tv once in a while? Those chips can hold something like 20 movies or ? You'd think everything would be digital by now anyways. :rolleyes2

I'm happy with my new Panasonic 4 head hi-fi. Good enough for me. RB, what do you watch movies on? Don't you record?! :hmm:

Ralph
06-08-04, 02:57 AM
I had a Beta hehe

and my VHS just collects dust

I play DVDs and recor all from my puter

What is a good site to burn from on the net? Do you have to pay?

Dead Sled
06-08-04, 04:06 AM
What is a good site to burn from on the net? Do you have to pay?

I buy my DVDs but burn music go figure :rolleyes2

its rare that I record broadcasts if I miss something i dont get worked up

brougham
06-08-04, 11:16 AM
Both our VCRs are Panasonics. The first one started having problems when it was around 10 years old so I decided I wanted a cheap one just for myself but after going throguh a couple of them that didn't seem to record properly I got a Panasonic. We have another one that is something else but I think the only time we ever used it was just to try it when we first got it.

tru504187211
06-08-04, 11:37 AM
Only reason I have a VCR is because my tv doesnt have rca inputs...I don't think there has ever been a video cassette in the VCR EVER!

elwesso
06-08-04, 12:08 PM
So if I buy a new computer, is that what they mean by "CD-RW?" Meaning I can burn cd movies? I have a "Cyberhome" dvd player that is compatible with burned DVD's.

How close to reality are these "digital recorders" they show on tv once in a while? Those chips can hold something like 20 movies or ? You'd think everything would be digital by now anyways. :rolleyes2

I'm happy with my new Panasonic 4 head hi-fi. Good enough for me. RB, what do you watch movies on? Don't you record?! :hmm:
Thats CD-RW (ReWriteable).. Its basically like CD-Rs but you can erase and re-record stuff on them.. Not really practical because normal CD players cant read them. I THINK new DVD players can read them

You can make video CDs and they are readable in DVD players, but you are limited to about 700mb.....

tru504187211
06-08-04, 12:53 PM
If you DO decide to go this route Ralph, here is a site with all the information you will ever run across in your quest to learn about video and your pc...

http://www.videohelp.com/

Ralph
06-09-04, 03:15 AM
Thanks guys. Good site Jacob, especially the reviews.