: Things to consider when buyin a replacement filter

Naf
06-26-08, 02:28 AM
Hey, Its me from the Hot, sunny, sandy place known as Hell, OK OK OK, Q8

I have been fiddlin with filters since 2003 and believe me it aint an easy task...

This is what i have come up with thus far

Paper filter, PERFECT for sandy dusty weather, keeps everything very clean and tidy. Only draw back is it is restrictive on air flow at the top end. Price of replacement is cheap...

Fram AirHog, Similar to a paper filter except its a FRAM. A little less restrictive then a paper filter, filtration is about 90%. The fine moon dust gets through it...Price, About doule that of a Paper filter...

K&N filter...Cotton Gause filter with metal framin...Least restrictive of all filters. Though this is a great add on for the most bang for buck it is also not the best filter...The housing does not like to be bent, and reshapin is not recommended. I have found that it does not filter well against dust, and sand. I found a light layer of dust on the intake tube. I tried using their prefilters and the same outcome is evident...Cost of replacement $30+

AEM Synthetic Dry air filter...Similar to a K&N Filter however slightly different on the filtration and housing...Housing is made from an indestructive material. Can take a little bit of bangin and return to original state no worries. They claim to be 94% filtration, but my dust meter doesnt agree. Same like the K&N filter a light layer of dust was found on the inside of the intake tube...

Volant PowerCore, High performance paper filter...Filters just like a paper filter but flows a hell of a lot more...Construction is slightly sensitive, dont be bangin it around. Find it for just about any kit you have... Have one for my LPE CAI and on order for my Tahoe. So far superior filtration against it all. Havent tried it against water yet due to the fact it is dry time. May get a dry charger to keep it dry in the winter time..Price of replacement $100+

Just thought i would share my experiences with you all in regards to these filters...I have it worse then anyone of you...The hottest Temps, the Dustiest weather and the most extreme speeds humanly possible...

SuperVeee
06-26-08, 11:00 AM
Yeah I did my time over there and I didnít learn my lesson about air filters as I killed a race motor over here after only 8 short rallycross races using a K&N and foam sock on top (with lots of oil). The first signs of my motor dieing were oil fouled plugs and blue smoke from the tail pipe after the dirt ate the rings and valve guides right up. I was amazed at the amount of mud inside the intake when I took it all apart.

So I was thinking about your situation in that harsh environment and what options (if any) that you might have. Since there is not much room in the engine compartment how about extending the air intake to behind the grill and installing a large truck/ tractor industrial prefilter in front of a performance filter? Those work well to extend the life of their air filters and motors in the dusty fields. It might give you more flow with the right size as they are made for fairly large motors. Thatís the best I could come up with - without having a few beers first.

Gerbonium
06-26-08, 02:31 PM
very interesting and informative! good post:thumbsup:

StealthV
06-26-08, 05:16 PM
Visit your local CAT dealer >>> Ultra High Efficiency Radial Seal (http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37499&x=7)

Rich H
06-26-08, 11:01 PM
Air filtration is simply a function of filter media type (porosity and density) and filter surface area. If you need more air flow you either increase surface area or increase porosity. Unfortunately, doing the latter decreases filter efficiency and allows particulate to pass through. With many types of filters like the K&N, the trick is to let them get "dirty" by allowing a precoat of particulate to build up on the surface. I think you'll find that the K&N's efficiency gradually increases as it gets dirty. In most areas (maybe not Kuwait) you can run them to over 30,000 miles before cleaning and re-oiling.

I have a K&N panel filter in my filter housing with ~20,000 miles on it. I plan to keep it until at least 30,000 miles and then I'll likely toss it and go back to a OEM pleated paper element because I really can't tell any performance difference. So why risk getting more dust in the engine if paper will do? Also, there is some risk of fouling the MAF if the K&N is not properly re-oiled - so again, why risk it if paper will do?

SuperVeee
06-27-08, 09:06 AM
Naf,

Since you are playing in one of the worlds largest cat boxes how about something like this in front of a K&N to keep out out all that fine sand. Prefilters >20 micron particles and flows up to 1500cfm.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/000207.pdf

-------------------------------

We used to sand ski in the red dues outside Riyadh when we were bored. Too bad I didn't have a cool car to play with like you have.

Naf
06-27-08, 11:23 AM
I know of this pre-filter...However, have you ever thought how am i to install this when space is an issue?

I barely have space for a catch can...

Black Sunshine
06-27-08, 11:35 AM
Ran one of these on the Impala for three years before I went turbo. Haven't gotten around to purchasing the new configuration I need for this application from them. The filter works very well and I never found even minor buildup in the intake.

http://www.itgfilters.net/main.sc?gclid=CLap0Mv5lJQCFQllsgodyEuktQ

I've been running a stock replacement K&N in the caddy since I bought it.

SuperVeee
06-30-08, 07:47 AM
I know of this pre-filter...However, have you ever thought how am i to install this when space is an issue?

I barely have space for a catch can...

How about behind the grill?

ewill3rd
06-30-08, 08:03 AM
Paper filter, PERFECT for sandy dusty weather, keeps everything very clean and tidy. Only draw back is it is restrictive on air flow at the top end. Price of replacement is cheap...

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, the biggest restriction in the intake system is the throttle body itself. I guarantee the stock air filter can handle more air at WOT than the throttle body is capable of passing.
If you have to replace it often, this really seems like a no brainer to me unless you just want to keep sandblasting the inside of your engine.