: 2005 and up STS owners need feedback please

megatron
06-25-08, 08:45 PM
Hey all I'm going to be looking to purchase a 2005-2007 STS and am wanting feedback from you STS owners here. How reliable are these caddys and how are the northstar engine these days? I know the N* engines have had there share of problems in that past,has GM fixed these issues in the latest versions of this engine? How is the V6 for power vs. the N*? Also last thing is are there any model specific issues to look out for when shopping for an STS in the models years I'm looking at? thanks

r83
06-26-08, 03:59 PM
I Would Never Ever Ever Ever Go With A V6.... Love My Gas Guzzling N* V8 With Power For Days!!!

Sincerely,
"bait"

cooncat
06-26-08, 05:05 PM
I have a 2006 with the northstar. It is a great car, but as the previous poster said, it is a gas guzzler. I average about 15 MPG. I wouldn't go any older than the 2006. The 2007 has the 6 speed transmission which may give you better gas mileage. If you don't care about gas mileage in the age of $4 a gallon and going higher gas prices, go with the northstar. It is a highly reliable engine and car. If you do care about gas mileage, go with the V6.

You will really love your STS in whatever form you get.

I also recommend getting a pre-certified car from a Caddy dealer with the great extended new car warrantee. Mine came that way and it had many minor issues do to the fact it was a rental in it's first six months of ownership. Ed Morse was wonderful about repairing everything and giving me a loaner Cadillac everytime.

Good luck.

turnerbend
06-26-08, 09:47 PM
I got the '05 STS with the V6. Avg about 21.5 mpg all around. Have about the same power as my 96 deville with the northstar. The STS got about 6000 (thousand ) miles on it.

Benjamin Simon
06-26-08, 11:04 PM
I average anywhere from 17.5 mpg to 20.0 with my N*.

rb92gt
06-27-08, 09:15 AM
I would have to argue that the N* and the V6 get the same gas mileage, so why get a V6? Now if your right foot is always slammed to the floor in a N* vs a V6, the V6 will probably get better gas mileage, but it will be several lights behind!

pjbizjak
06-27-08, 09:57 AM
I have a 07 1SG N* v-8 STS RWD and love it. It seems that some of the bugs in the 05's and 06's have been worked out in the 07. I'm averaging 19+ mpg. Only problem so far was a leaking rear differential seal which Cadillac has a recall notice on this problem. The only thing I have a little problem with is engine noise, I think Cadillac could use more sound dampening insulation.

blustreak
06-27-08, 11:01 AM
I have a 2006 STS V-6 with all the available options, Brembro brakes and the better steering, but no magnetic ride. Overall it's one of the best cars I have owned. Well thought out and extremely capable, comfortable, safe and stylish. I have put 34000 miles on it since I bought it new 14 months ago. There has been no unscheduled maintenance. It has never not started or left me stranded. Interestingly, I can't say that for the BMW 3 series that I traded in to buy the Caddy.
Good luck

justgreat
06-29-08, 10:21 AM
one point of issue to consider between the v6 and the n/s; with less weight over the front wheels the 3.6 has better balance and therefore, better handling than the n/s...if you're a hiway cruiser versus driving the backroads, stick with the n/s. the 3.6 has the 3.42 rear end as standard equipment, so the grunt on the bottom end is amazing for a v6 pulling around a car that tips the scale at over 3900 lbs.

as far as the v6 and fuel economy goes, i do nothing but around town, stop and go, traffic light driving and i get over 17 mpg...i do not miss the n/s....anything i can do to mitigate 4.60/gallon gasoline (that's what we pay in lower fairfield county) is just fine with me.

jackg
06 sts6

ps; i have had no mechanical/electronic issues with the sts...i did have some complaints re fit and finish items that my dealer took care of...other than the dif leak, no complaints with my 06...

MARKVIII
06-29-08, 10:58 AM
I have '05 northstar v8 isf package. overall i like the car . it has 33000 miles on it. i get 20.4 mpg but i am not a leadfoot. would i buy this car new? no way! its way overpriced and there are many other cars in this class that blow it away. however, since they lose so much depreciation its definetly the best bang for the buck used.

STScaddyman65
07-01-08, 08:38 AM
I own a 06 STS AWD with the 3.6 and I get 25-26 MPG. This is mostly highway miles as I drive about 100 miles each day to and from work. I bought mine used in January 08 and it had 13,000 on it and I have 26,000 on her now with no issues, the dealership replaced the differential seals as that was a recall issue as mentioned above but it's a great ride for the money!!!! The AWD is Awesome in the snow, I was only able to break her loose in the rear one time just for an instant until the stibil-track kicked in, but I was messing around on purpose.
Great choice no matter what engine you buy, just depends on how deep your pockets are for the gas money as it looks like $5/gallon is getting here soon!

PEAROB1
07-02-08, 05:05 PM
I would have to argue that the N* and the V6 get the same gas mileage, so why get a V6? Now if your right foot is always slammed to the floor in a N* vs a V6, the V6 will probably get better gas mileage, but it will be several lights behind!

I also agree that the V6 & N* are not very far off from each other as far as gas mileage . During my research ('07 models only) I read somewhere on another site that if you compared a V6 with the 1SC package and a V8 with the 1SF package, the MPG was practically even.

This was based on the V6 1SC having a different gear ratio (same ratio as a V8 1SG) and a 5 speed transmission. The V8 1SF with 6 speed transmission with its ratio was nearly identical in terms of MPG. If this is incorrect info on the gear ratios please correct me. :hmm:

Your driving style is the main key to MPG's no matter what you drive.

Greg00coupe
07-03-08, 12:56 PM
Only thing I would add is if snow is a factor the RWD does not do too well. If I had it to do all over again I would have done AWD. Not sure the extended warranty is that important as long as you are under the factory warranty. It's been my experience, I've bought 2 caddys that were suppose to be certified, i.e. had all the preventative maintenance done, that the dealers do very little. You take the car home come back with a list of issues and then they fix it under warranty. Tell the dealer to knock off the $1,000 he wants for the certification. Glad I did since I don't think the cars I bought went through a very thorough inspection.

Cipey
07-12-08, 11:14 PM
Just bought an 05 STS with V6. I love it. Came back off of a lease with 24K on it. The V6 was the reason I bought it--Gas, Gas Gas! I've been told if you buy a Caddy u should be able to afford the gas. I can, but with a '98 Jeep XJ that i use for off roading, i really didn't want another gas sucker. IMO the V8 N* two piece engine does not impress me, being a two piece angine. seen tons pf probs with the older ones, on the back of my tow truck and in my shop, But to each his own. U won't be disapointed with the V6 unless you want more power than ness. but if that the case..

VAAAAAAAAROOOOOOOOMMMM!

Good Luck!

Cipey

Cipey
07-12-08, 11:19 PM
Only thing I would add is if snow is a factor the RWD does not do too well. If I had it to do all over again I would have done AWD. Not sure the extended warranty is that important as long as you are under the factory warranty. It's been my experience, I've bought 2 caddys that were suppose to be certified, i.e. had all the preventative maintenance done, that the dealers do very little. You take the car home come back with a list of issues and then they fix it under warranty. Tell the dealer to knock off the $1,000 he wants for the certification. Glad I did since I don't think the cars I bought went through a very thorough inspection.

The dealership I use tears the car apart to certify it. I have taken many vehicles in there over the years and they have a section just for that. Mabey its due to the volume of off leases they get. Perhaps its the dealership. some are not as good as others.

Cipey

thewood
07-13-08, 08:32 AM
I've had my 07 STS 4.6 V8 (6speed) for about 5 weeks now and I love it. The wife loves it too over any car that I've had. Mother-In-Law's Deville is still a nicer ride but I don't need that big of a car, yet.

I do about a 50/50 balance between city and hi-way driving and I average around 18+ mpg. On the hi-way I can go as high as 80mph on long stretches and achieve decent gas mileage. This last week it went up to 20+ as we took a nice trip to the shore. Use the cruse control when you can and keep your foot out of it and you should do the same if the car is running correctly.

Besides the gas gage being slightly inaccurate, I haven't found too many cons with the car yet. All the features have either met or exceeded my expectations. I typically fill up around 1/2 a tank and it always come out to more then half. The tank is supposed to be a 17.5 gallon capacity and slightly above 1/2 on the gage, it comes up to 9.6 - 10 gallons.

The features I like the most I'll list in order.
1. Entry system is my favorite. I never have to remove the keys from my pocket to get in, open the trunk, or start the car. If I accidently leave the key in the car it reminds me if exit it with an alarm. When I walk away from it with the key in my pocket, it automatically locks up all the doors.
2. Vented seats. Itís very comfortable when you're on a long ride. You don't have to sweat it any more.
3. Memory system. You can setup two profiles (per FOB) to remember things like seat and steering wheel position and climate control.
4. DIC has many settings that keep you informed regarding MPG, oil life, tire pressure, and battery charge.
5. Besides the wheels, cleaning the car is easy compared to my Thunderbird and Dakota. The wheels do accumulate a lot of break dust which makes me wonder why they didn't go with ceramic pads.
6. It took me all of 10 minutes to figure out how to use the built in GPS. It hasn't failed to get me to the front entrance of anything yet.
7. I can blue tooth and set my cell phone as a default phone so I don't have to reprogram it every time I get into the car. I decided not to purchase the On Star system as I can voice it and control it through the steering wheel buttons.
8. The sound system and DVD changer seem to be of above average quality and IMO is more then adequate for my use. If Iím parked waiting for the wife, I can watch a DVD to pass the time. I only wish it had a digital TV box too.
9. The three mode 6 speed transmission gives you plenty of options if you want that sort of thing. I typically just use the standard automatic mode but I've also used the sport mode too. I haven't shifted it manually yet and likely won't as I don't plan on doing any street drag racing with this one.
10. The center console has a coffee holder for both driver and passenger in the perfect place. Iím a smoker and it doesnít come with an ashtray. Itís a $50.00 option which covers one of the drink holders. We try not to smoke in the car.

My Cons:
Like I said before, the break dust on the wheels could have been prevented by using ceramic break pads. The gas gage could be a bit more accurate and a digital TV tuner would have been nice. The ash tray, well with all the anti smoking going on, I'm living with that.

Overall I canít complain.

Bro-Ham-Detroit
08-18-08, 01:39 AM
i have an 06 STS AWD with a V8 and love it ... eventhough it gets worse MPG than my '94 Fleetwood. 20 MPG at 75 MPH and 15.5 in the site. my fleetwood got 16.5 city and 20 something on the highway

05STSCaddyman
08-19-08, 10:28 AM
I've owned a '05 for aweek ave. 28 mpg. Car only has 7500 miles. A senior passed got a great deal. Washed it twice. The break dust on the wheels suck.

Pontus
08-19-08, 06:22 PM
I have Had my 05 sts v8 for a coupple months now and love it. I think the best way to learn the pros and cons about a car is take it for a very long drive and seeing as how i bought it in Ohio and drove it back to Alberta Canada (about 5000miles if i remember right) i got to know the car quite well. my plus list is:
-entry system is amazing so easy
-the climate control is better than any car i have ever been in, it just holds the temperature that you want. without you getting any air blown on you at all. It does it much better than Lincoln or BMW. this may seem trivial but in a big trip you gotta be the right temperature and this is big comfort points imo
-the audio is truly remarkable. it simply blows any other factory system out of the water.
-I love pulling up to flashy little Japanese sport coupes at lights and embarrassing them.
-if the mood strikes you it is a lot of fun to put it into manual mode, take off the TC and start lighting up the tires around some corners. it does it so easily even with 18inch wheels and 265 wide tires. dont worry i hardly ever do it.
-perfect engine note imo, a nice sophisticated roar at wide open, exactly what you would expect from a performance Cadillac
-it seems to be very well designed to snap together. this makes it easy to take the panels apart to work on things, previous generation caddies are not like this and doing anything with the interior like taking off a door panel is enough to make you want to kill yourself.

my cons list:
-too much road noise with 18 inch rims and performance tires but i guess you have to make a compromise between performance and luxury
-the RWD is ridiculous during winter, if you even touch the accelerator over some snow you get bad fishtails. next winter i am trying some x-ice tires and hopefully those will fix my problem but seriously i was scared to drive the thing because i would be cruising at highway speeds and then out of no where find myself completely sideways sliding down the road. this happened to me no less than 4 times in 2 weeks and i just stopped driving it. luckly i have a lot of skid control experience from messing around on ice when i was 16.
-the gas consumption is an issue.
-the auto windshield wipers are more annoying than helpful.
-the lights seem to be tipped straight into the ground, too lazy to fix it but it is annoying.

STScaddyman65
08-20-08, 06:25 AM
Megatron, good choice looking at the STS and THANK YOU, I work for GM and build them!
I have a 06 model 3.6L loaded baby who gets me about 26MPG+ on my 50 mile trip to work and back. Mine is a AWD and handles like my 4X4 in the snow yet drives like a sports car in the summer, I love it and I am somewhat bias and it has 30K on it now and I plan on driving her 250K and buying another one. Love the car and all the toys in it and she has never giving me one bit of trouble, better not, LOL!
I need milage period, so I went 6 cylinder, you need to decide what you really want and buy used certified from a Cadillac dealer and you will flat out love it,period! I've dressed mine out so she looks like a perfect 82K dollar V-series and really love my STS! AWESOME CAR!!!!
Good Hunting and Thanks Again!!!!

WorkinWoodWheel.TX
08-26-08, 10:58 AM
I just got my 05 STS v6 about 2 months ago and I love it. Smooth ride. Very comfortable sitting in the frontseat and backseat. Navigation works great, just need a disc update. Only thing is that it disables a lot of options when you are driving. Gas is about 19 on city and 25 on highway. One thing good is that the car drinks regular gas. I think the v8 drinks premium gas. The auto start is great to warm up your car in hot weather. The bose sound system is great. Has it own amp.

turnerbend
08-30-08, 02:08 PM

What's you hurry? At the end of the day we will all get there.

aintmisbehavinn
08-30-08, 11:00 PM
I'm looking for a 2007 6sp with V8. Currently driving 4.0 Northstar in an Aurora with 150K. I want RWD, 6sp, V8. Will the 8 run on 89? Thanks for a great forum.

BaTu
08-31-08, 10:00 AM
What's you hurry? At the end of the day we will all get there.

Huh???

Dude,,, if you can't appreciate the fun of driving an STS, FAST, why didn't you just buy a "non-performance" Luxury Car? I bet you could get REALLY GOOD Gas Mileage too! ;)