: Is CPO the same as GMPP major guard?

mschlott
06-25-08, 09:38 PM
I'm going to look at a car that is CPO which I assume is 6 years and 100K. That would be good through 2010. I had planned on buying a non CPO car under 36k and buy a 4 year 32K GMPP major guard for around $1800. Which on the same car, would put me under warranty through 2011 and 60K miles.

I'd like the extra year of warranty. Is there anything I can do to extend CPO another year? Does CPO cover the same as major guard? Are there any benefits to CPO over GMPP major guard?

If I can convince myself to like the lighter interior, I may be driving this car tommorow.

mike

Bigron
06-26-08, 11:03 AM
CPO is better than a Major Guard, while it is very close CPO is basiclly an extention of your factory warranty while GMPP Major Guard is an exclusionary coverage service contract.
More or less: CPO covers more

mschlott
06-26-08, 11:07 AM
What sort of things would the original warranty cover that GMPP major guard would not?

mike

Bigron
06-26-08, 11:10 AM
Here is a link to a dealer who is selling GMPP
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/warranty/gm-major-guard.html

Scroll down to GM Non-Covered Parts

I am not saying the factory would cover all of those, but many of them they would.

Example: Battery

Dave-V
06-27-08, 11:37 AM
One little known fact to conseder is this: With the CPO the service manager at the dealer decides what gets fixed, with gmpp and a claim more than a couple of hundred dollars, an outside adjuster is sent in approve it. This could be an issue if you have mods. I have had both with no problems from either but I just wanted you to know.

Bigron
06-27-08, 02:48 PM
There are adjusters for both programs. Trust me.
Most dealers have approval unless they are a high loss ratio with GMPP, but I agree big ticket items are usually reviewed.
Trust me if a V engine goes, or a diff for the 2nd time, an adjuster (called an AVM) is coming out on that CPO claim.

Where are you getting your little fact?