: Blown Engine???

richardson42
06-25-08, 04:36 PM
My 2000 DTS had never been running greater last week...getting 25.5 mpg and then all of a sudden the check engine light starts flashing and my car starts chugging. I have had the check engine light on for a little while as I was waiting to replace the CAT since the car was still running great. I pulled the codes and got the old catalyst efficiency and also the engine misfire code. So I decided to finally suck it up and take it to a dealer to have a new cat put on for a grand. This afternoon the dealer calls and says the engine is blown and there is antifreeze in cylinders 4 and 6. I just don't see how my car can be running great one day and not using coolant and the next day the engine is full of antifreeze and my engine is blown. Does this sound funny to anyone else...could it just be the head gasket?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tateos
06-25-08, 05:48 PM
Antifreeze in the cylinder has to come from a blown head gasket or cracked block or cracked head. I think it's the head gasket, although 2000 and newer engines are not that prone to blowing head gaskets

As far as running great one day and blown the next day - that's the way the head gaskets blow - at least that is how my 2 head gaskets blew on two different '97 Northstars. The only thing is, a blown head gasket does not mean a blown engine - just one that needs repair. Let us know what you find out.

I suggest you post this on the Northstar forum also

urbanski
06-25-08, 06:37 PM
i'll just move it

chubbyranger
06-25-08, 08:32 PM
Your problem is that the dealer will want to put in a N* longblock before they actually diagnose whether your engine is rebuildable or not. Time to decide if you want to take it to an independent dealer and have them do the job or pay a dealer more than the car is worth to get it running. Not a pleasant choice, I know from the experience of having $13K into a car that's worth half that at best.