: Help! 94 Concors

bondz
06-05-04, 10:44 PM
Today out of nowhere I stopped at a red light and my car kept idling high as if I had my foot on the gas, I pulled over right away and put her in park and it was still idling like I had my foot on the gas, so I stepped on the gas and then removed my foot and it stopped,then I stepped on it again and removed it immediatley and it kept idling like I still had my foot on the gas. whats the problem?? help???

BeelzeBob
06-05-04, 10:56 PM
Sounds like the idle speed control motor may be getting lazy or failed. Search in the archives using "idle speed control motor" and read up. Simple to replace...it is on the side of the throttle body underhood and is readily accessible.

bondz
06-05-04, 10:59 PM
Bbob you rock dude thanx for the help!!:)

mcowden
06-07-04, 03:44 PM
If the high idle stopped when you put stepped on the pedal momentarily, it's also possible something is binding a little bit in the throttle linkage.

Make sure everything around the gas pedal is far enough away that it won't hold the pedal down at all. Some aftermarket floor mats can cause this problem.

Under the hood, make sure there is nothing near the throttle cable linkage that would hold it in position. That's very unlikely to be the case. Don't put grease on the throttle cable because the petroleum grease can deteriorate the lining of the cable sleeve and cause bigger problems down the road.

Take off the intake air hose and clean out the throttle body with some carburetor cleaner and a toothbrush. Be sure to open up the valve and clean around its seating area and around the perimeter of the plate itself. The back side of it will probably be a little brownish or black with various deposits. It's normal. Just make sure the valve can open and close cleanly and doesn't stick in any position. I had problems with my 96 when deposits built up around the throttle plate it wanted to stick shut a little bit. I cleaned it all up and never had any problems since.

This is, of course, in addition to bbobynski's recommendation. I agree completely with him as well, just wanted to throw in another suggestion.

Good luck!

BeelzeBob
06-07-04, 11:10 PM
Yea, there are a lot of things that can get under the throttle and hang it slightly causing a high idle.....good to check the linkage and such...check the floormat carefully, especially if aftermarket mats are being used. Many floor mats can bunch up and hold the throttle.

I mentioned the idle speed control motor as most likely guess due to the sudden nature of the problem from what you said. Throttle body deposits could cause the problem...but they don't just suddenly form and trap the throttle.... The ISC motor can fail suddenly and cuase the erroneous idle.

cardio-doc
06-09-04, 07:15 AM
Having owned 3 different Black 1994 Cadillacs - my money is on the ISC. Not too hard to change if you're handy - I did the last one in under an hour and I work very slow on stuff like that.

Found the part new at an auto parts store that sells AC/Delco for $80 (with a discount).

Good luck,
~Doc

Yea, there are a lot of things that can get under the throttle and hang it slightly causing a high idle.....good to check the linkage and such...check the floormat carefully, especially if aftermarket mats are being used. Many floor mats can bunch up and hold the throttle.

I mentioned the idle speed control motor as most likely guess due to the sudden nature of the problem from what you said. Throttle body deposits could cause the problem...but they don't just suddenly form and trap the throttle.... The ISC motor can fail suddenly and cuase the erroneous idle.