: Anbody had problems with their speedometer?

BadBowtie03
06-24-08, 11:37 PM
Hey everyone, just like the title says I am having problems with the speedometer in my familys 05 STS. We actually just bought the car and love it, but the speedo reads about 10-12 mph slower than you are actually traveling. The car is still under warranty, so we will have it fixed... but, could that mess with the mileage at all? Or can cadillac tell if it had ever been tampered with? Because the car says that it only has 9,700 miles on it and its an 05! Thats one of the reasons we bought it too... Thanks for the input!

Onalaska
06-25-08, 08:49 AM
Hi and welcome. You have a digital speed readout in the driver information center also. How does it compare the the speedometer readout? If they are both off your odometer would be off by the same percentage. What size tires and wheels are on the car?

ewill3rd
06-25-08, 09:11 AM
Tires and wheels are the first place to look.
No real way for it to be off otherwise.

sweetdivel
06-25-08, 11:46 AM
i compared mine with GPS in my mobile and the U-speed sign in on my way to work, i found a diferance about 8-10 KM/H.
do i need to check with the dealer regarding this?

ewill3rd
06-25-08, 12:20 PM
4-6% is an acceptable margin of error.
Depending on the actual speed you are traveling 8-10 km/h is pretty miniscule.

dhemrick
06-25-08, 02:32 PM
Do you have the nav system? There is a way directly through the nav system to calibrate the speedometer. You simply touch one button and then drive for a while. You are supposed to do it if you change your tires.

BadBowtie03
06-28-08, 05:00 PM
Hi and welcome. You have a digital speed readout in the driver information center also. How does it compare the the speedometer readout? If they are both off your odometer would be off by the same percentage. What size tires and wheels are on the car?

Do you have the nav system? There is a way directly through the nav system to calibrate the speedometer. You simply touch one button and then drive for a while. You are supposed to do it if you change your tires.

Hey, guys thanks for replying. and yes inside of the driver readout information center the reading is the same.

No, we dont have the NAV system... so is there another way to calibrate the speedo?

The car has stock wheels and tires on it. Anymore ideas before i take it to the dealer?

dkozloski
06-28-08, 05:20 PM
Call your local highway department and find where the nearest measured mile is located and time it over the mile with a stopwatch. You might also ask a local LEO to pace you.

BadBowtie03
06-29-08, 01:28 AM
Call your local highway department and find where the nearest measured mile is located and time it over the mile with a stopwatch. You might also ask a local LEO to pace you.

Well, I know that its not calibrated right cause we tested it with our Avalanche... and it was about 10 mph off... I think were just gonna take it to the dealer on monday.