: !996 Cadillac Deville Exhaust Smoke Problem

swinn
06-05-04, 11:38 PM
When I start my car up, within 30 seconds white exhaust smoke starts bellowing
out the exhaust and continues for a while. After car warms up, it stops. Was told
by one mechanic that it was either a bad head or needs a head gasket replaced.
I personally don't think it's either of the above problems because the car is not
overheating at all. But now there seems to be anti-freeze on my front windshield
and back window on the inside. Is that a bad heater core?

Any help would be appreciated.

BeelzeBob
06-05-04, 11:55 PM
Is the cooling system loosing coolant regularily??? If so, it may be loosing it at the head gasket....possible of course.

Is the cooling question filled with fresh coolant and dosed with the GM coolant supplement (sealer). Search the archives using "coolant supplement" for more info. Lots in previous posts.

If the cooling system is not loosing coolant regularily then doubtful that it is the cooling system or antifreeze causing the white smoke.

White smoke can also be caused by a sticking injector or a heavily leaking fuel pressure regulator. Does the engine start good cold and hot???

Typically, steam or antifreeze on the inside of the windshield indicates a heater core is failing and leaking.

swinn
06-06-04, 05:11 PM
Thanks bbobynski :worship:.

I'm not adding coolant on a regular, so for now I can eliminate the heads,
but I will look into the sticking injector or the fuel pressure regulator. Also
the car starts up fine hot or cold (besides the white smoke :banghead:). And I know
I will get that heater core replaced.

Would bad oxygen sensors cause white smoke :confused:

Thanks again.

BeelzeBob
06-06-04, 11:30 PM
Don't see how O2 sensors could cause white smoke....