: Powder Coat Stock Wheels

capt. dan
06-24-08, 08:47 AM
I am having my stock wheels powder coated and the guy is telling me he is having a hard time stripping the original paint off. Does anyone who has had their wheels done know the process that was used to prep them.

I checked out this guys work before I took my wheels to him and he does a good job. He said these are just tough to prep.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

qqik4u
06-24-08, 08:52 AM
I am having my stock wheels powder coated and the guy is telling me he is having a hard time stripping the original paint off. Does anyone who has had their wheels done know the process that was used to prep them.

I checked out this guys work before I took my wheels to him and he does a good job. He said these are just tough to prep.

Aaha - finally someone having big issue with the powdercoating:ill: Sorry to hear that, but for me it was very painfull. The guy I took the wheels to also was very good at what he does and had to blast sand blast the wheels about 21 times before the original started to peel. But once it did then he was able to get the wheel preped and coated. He did have to powdercoat a couple of times. That guy also said he won't touch another CTS-V wheels again as to how much work it took.

Here is pic of the wheels and calipers he did - (Calipers were a piece of cake)

Goodluck - let me know if you need more info.

whisler151
06-24-08, 10:42 AM
There was no problem with mine. I had them back on the car the next evening.

Bueller
06-24-08, 10:58 AM
QQuik, Looks great!

Did you have to rebuild the calipers to have them powder coated?

I would guess the seals would cook. Also what did you use to keep the material out of threads or open line holes, and or off the pistons?

Is there some sort of high temp tape they have to mask off these areas?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

qqik4u
06-24-08, 11:07 AM
QQuik, Looks great!

Did you have to rebuild the calipers to have them powder coated?

I would guess the seals would cook. Also what did you use to keep the material out of threads or open line holes, and or off the pistons?

Is there some sort of high temp tape they have to mask off these areas?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Calipers had to be put back togather (if you are refering to rebuilt then yes)

seals had to be removed. Not sure what the guy used to keep the material out of threads and off the pistons (sorry). There is no high temp tape that was used to mask. All I remember was everything had to be barebone.

Bill (ewill3rd) at Lindsay could help answer some of these questions as he was involved in taking apart the calipers and putting them back.

crankedupforit
06-24-08, 11:24 AM

The stock wheels come with a super high quality paint job from Italy. They use a 5 step process that needs a cure time as well. The paint also contains lead which is not found here in the states. No wonder it's such a pain to get the paint off. Too bad these wheels curb so easy because the rest of paint holds up pretty well. An origainal OEM refinish can be had from a company called Transwheel for $175 each.

svtbolt2001
06-24-08, 11:29 AM
Wow,
Yeah the finish looks pretty thick compared to other vehicles I have had that rock chipped way too easily.

KEV-V
06-24-08, 02:16 PM

My powdercoater had a hell of a time stripping my wheels to. He tried roughing them up and dipping them in a tub of high quality stripper and nothing. So it was strip the long hard way, grinding and buffing and he said they were rough underneath all the paint and primer as well.

He ended up spending about triple the amount of time as expected and they had to be coated twice. But daaaaaaaaaamn they look good on my car!! :cool2:

SkullV
06-24-08, 02:45 PM
My powdercoater said it took him 2 hours to sandblast the 4 wheels, they look GREAT though!

Civardi
06-24-08, 03:28 PM
My powdercoater had a hell of a time stripping my wheels to. He tried roughing them up and dipping them in a tub of high quality stripper and nothing. So it was strip the long hard way, grinding and buffing and he said they were rough underneath all the paint and primer as well.

He ended up spending about triple the amount of time as expected and they had to be coated twice. But daaaaaaaaaamn they look good on my car!! :cool2:

This would explain why I have prices from $400-900. The guy that quoted $900 said he had done one of these before.

mbiker97_old
06-24-08, 06:11 PM
My powdercoater didn't say anything about trouble stripping them. Hopefully they were taken all the way down, but the shop is used to doing show stuff so I'm sure they did.

p.s. It was only $260 for my set.

KEV-V
06-24-08, 06:28 PM
This would explain why I have prices from $400-900. The guy that quoted $900 said he had done one of these before.

Yup my guy wanted 1G$ but he was a buddy of mine and I got "a deal" at $850. After buying stock wheels and shipping them from the US to Canada my wheels ended up costing about $2200......ouch. Oh well, I am still very happy with them and the look.

coolcaddy1
06-24-08, 08:26 PM
I feel your pain. I've got a Triumph motorcycle that has a similar type of paint/process for the aluminum frame. I ended up using a belt sander with 80 grit and then working with finer and finer papers then polishes. Shines like chrome but sure took forever. Ps Wish I knew at the time that paint had lead in it! Wear a respirator and wash your hands real good lead is nasty stuff!

SkullV
06-25-08, 12:32 AM
My powdercoater didn't say anything about trouble stripping them. Hopefully they were taken all the way down, but the shop is used to doing show stuff so I'm sure they did.

p.s. It was only $260 for my set.

Yep, $270 for mine. Shop around, especially at custom motorcycle shops, they often do a lot of gloss black so that is usually cheaper.

06-26-08, 07:48 PM
How durable is the powder coating compared to the stock coating? I am going to use my stock wheels for winter. I thought about getting them powder coated in black chrome. However, if the stock coating is more durable for chips than perhaps I will stay stock.