: DFW V's -- Anyone going to the Driver's Edge HPDE on 7/12 & 13?

jconaway
06-23-08, 05:54 PM
Wanted to check if any other DFW area V's were going to be at the Driver's Edge event at Motorsport Ranch (south of FW) on 7/12 & 13. This will be my first track event, so I'm really looking forward to it.

jerrycecco
06-23-08, 06:18 PM
interesting, do you have a web site to review? cost? I may come out for one day...
...1st track day....excellent.....I've went MANY MANY times in NorCal, nothing yet in TX. Drove my 96 Cobra for many years. Brought my V once. Suggestions: fresh oil, water wetter, bring water for you and your car. $$$ for gas, tire pressure gauge....
jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

Kmajecki
06-23-08, 06:48 PM
I was going to do the Apex Driving Academy event on June 28 until I broke that valve spring last week. Those Drivers Edge events look like fun, but 2 days in a row on the 3.1 mile layout?! Have you been out there before? That 3.1 has multiple elevation changes. I think i may come out and watch though! A year or so ago i did a day event on the 1.7 layout and that was more than enough turns to learn in a day.

Here's a few i've researched in the dfw area:

www.ApexDrivingAcademy.com

http://www.thedriversedge.net/

http://www.texasdrivingexperience.com/sub.aspx?p=DrivingPrograms&s=OTYC

There's also the Eagle's Canyon Raceway out near Decatur/Sanger. I went out there just to check it out once. It's still pretty new, so there's not much other than the track and one garage out there, for now at least...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/l_72bbb7be973745cc40f6900b71ce8334.gif

CIWS
06-23-08, 07:24 PM
I doubt I will be going. Although this is the first I had heard of it.

CTS2NV
06-24-08, 01:09 AM
damn i'm goin on a training exercise or else i'd be all over it.

whisler151
06-24-08, 11:40 AM
Maybe one day on the 1.7 would work for me...not sure about two days on the 3.1. I still haven't had my track cherry popped yet. I'm too paranoid that something will break.

Kmajecki
06-24-08, 02:30 PM
I'm too paranoid that something will break.

As CTS2NV knows, mine didn't come home until the next day on a trailer.... Although without the maggie maybe now i could make it the whole day without breaking something! I think 2 days in a row would be pushing it though, especially on that 3.1 layout. After seeing my tires/brakes after just 1/2 day i totally understand why people just buy miatas and beat on them on the track. Not trying to discourage you though jconaway. I had a blast the time i went, i'm sure you will too! :yup:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/track.jpg

CTS2NV
06-29-08, 04:20 PM
hey Kmajecki i shot you an email could you giv me a call wen you get the chance ?

Kmajecki
07-12-08, 10:43 AM
Wanted to check if any other DFW area V's were going to be at the Driver's Edge event at Motorsport Ranch (south of FW) on 7/12 & 13. This will be my first track event, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Let us know how it went!

jconaway
07-15-08, 03:22 PM
Well -- I'm still recovering from the 2 days running the 1.7 mile course (clockwise) at MSR. As I mentioned earlier, this was my first track day - so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I've got to say, it was a lot of fun.

A few observations:

It was HOT! The high temp was 102 on Saturday. I think I drank 2 gallons of water each day and still felt dehydrated.

The Drivers Edge runs a very well organized event. If you think you'd be interested in this, give these guys a try. They love what they do and it shows.

Take a good torque wrench! Apparently my $30 Jegs special wasn't too accurate, as I managed to twist off a rear lug nut (and stud).

All in all, I'm now thinking about going again to Texas Motor Speedway in College Station. From what I hear, it's a much faster track and not quite as technical as MSR.

Kmajecki
07-15-08, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear you had a good time! I thought you were running the 3.1 layout? Did you take a look at it?! I think it'd be overwhelming for the 1st track experience. When i went to the apex driving academy 1 day event, we did the 1.7counter clockwise. I loved that part they call the rattlesnake...i wonder what that part was like going clockwise, prob still a lot of fun. When is their next event? The one in college station is Texas "World" Speedway right? Motor Speedway is the nascar track in Ft Worth, then you've got the Texas Motorplex in Ennnis... Texas needs some more diversity when it comes to naming tracks!

jconaway
07-15-08, 04:49 PM
Typo on my part -- I meant Texas World Speedway.

The 3.1 looked overwhelming to say the least. I can't compare the 1.7 CW to CCW, but we did a few parade laps on the CCW and it's a different animal altogether...

The "rattlesnake" is fun in both directions.

Kmajecki
07-15-08, 05:14 PM
Yea that other half of the track looks scary! Well glad you had a good time, you coming out to Quality Motorsports BBQ this Saturday?