: OnStar -> Bluetooth Conversion Completed!!!

Pages : [1] 2

RustyBlazerDude
06-23-08, 03:20 PM
When my OnStar went down at the beginning of this year due to the FCC discontinuing analog cellular service, I decided it would be a good idea to use the buttons and microphone already installed in my 2001 DTS to interface to an existing bluetooth hands free kit.

It took a little longer than expected, but its now complete.

It works great and is real easy to install. You just locate and remove the OnStar VIU and plug this module in its place. Using the buttons on the mirror, you can place calls, accept calls, transfer calls and even mute calls. The module will automaticaly mute the radio when a call comes in. Even the steering wheel volume controls work to raise or lower the volume. The voice quality is excellent since you use the high quality OnStar microphone. And best of all, there are no wires to run. The OnStar LED indicates call progress, pairing, mute status, etc.

This module works only with older cars utilizing the class 2 communication bus. It is intended to replace the obsolete analog onStar system that is no longer in service with the bluetooth unit which ties directly to your cell phone. When installed, it mimics the OnStar communications so that no codes are set.

Is this something you guys might be interested in? I am not an authorized vendor, and I do NOT have anything to sell yet, but with enough interest, I could set something up.

CadillacSTS42005
06-23-08, 04:02 PM
huh
im game
lets see what you have

hyperboimmv
06-23-08, 04:10 PM
Im interested... If it wont work on my onstar-less (i hope it does because of the class II) sls, I have a malibu maxx i could put it on :-D

RustyBlazerDude
06-24-08, 11:22 AM
OK.
Not too many responses, but here is a picture of the existing product showing the harness. Again, this simply plugs in right where the old onstar viu unit was. No running any wires. You get to use the mirror's onstar buttons and the existing onstar microphone.
This should work in any GM vehicle that used the old analog onstar system, although the interface harness may be slightly different.
http://www.costartech.com/images/bluestar-class2.jpg

RustyBlazerDude
06-24-08, 12:04 PM
OK.
Not too many responses, but here is a picture of the unit with the harness. Again, this simply plugs in to where the old analog onstar viu was and enables you to use the buttons on the mirror, along with the onstar high quality microphone to allow you to connect directly to your bluetooth cell phone.

I think this will work with most cadillacs of this vintage (circa 2000) and should also work with any GM having analog onstar unit that utilizes class 2 data bus for communications. The harness may be slightly different for other GM vehicles.

hyperboimmv
06-24-08, 06:19 PM
Eh I doubt this module would work for my SLS :( I wished there was one for the hands free kit that was optional....

I looked up the model number on that module and found that I already have that in my car (the moto kit). I guess the easiest option would be to wire it to my radio.

Unless this module would work if I had the dealer use the tech2 and tell the car that there was a hands free kit installed, then it would take my left steering controls and turn them into call / end buttons? I wouldn't mind not having the fan speed buttons just for this purpose.

Does this connector look like the same one?

AlBundy
06-24-08, 08:20 PM
If you want more responses, you might want to post this in the Deville or Seville/Eldo lounge.

CadillacSTS42005
06-24-08, 10:15 PM
how does it par with your cell phone
a vid showing it working and how it works would help
also a ball park price

RustyBlazerDude
06-24-08, 11:34 PM
As you can see from the previous pic, the bluetooth portion is based on a motorola HF850 module. I simply created an interface to the mirror buttons and mic which replaces the keypad and mic that comes with the kit.

So to pair, you simply hold the blue onstar button for three seconds, and the indicator led will start flashing green / off. Then you put your cell in search mode. Once the moto module is found, you enter the linking pass code into your phone.

This only has to be done once, and every time you get into your car, your phone will link to the car kit. You can mute the call using the red emergency button. And you can transfer the call to your cell for privacy if someone else is in the car.

When on hook, the indicator is red, and when muted it flashes red/green.

Pricing depends on peoples interest (total quantity). The pcboards are expensive to build in low quantities. And the moto modules are not cheap either. I really set out to do this for myself, but a friend of mine thought it would make a cool product so he talked me into posting it.

I'm out of town for the rest of the week, but I'll see about making a video or at least some kind of manual showing installation and operation.

Regarding Hyperboimmv, If you already have a moto kit, then all you need is the pcb and harness. The pcb plugs right into the moto module.
Now in my '01 DTS, there was a cell unit and a VIU which were located in the trunk. The VIU had two connectors on it and the cell module had one. But they all connected to this harness connector shown in the pic. So for install, you pull out the VIU, and the cell module and the interconnecting harness. This gets tossed and the unit in the pic get installed by connecting it right where the old harness was.

A picture (or video) is worth a 1000 words so I'll see if I can get something better put together soon.

CadillacSTS42005
06-24-08, 11:43 PM
it itll work on my 03 STS (it can be upgraded but i dont feel like paying for it) then ill take one and be sure to pass on how well it works to the forum and customers at my work (im an installer at BB and youd be surprised how many ppl come in asking for something like this)
email me cadillac1997etc@yahoo.com and maybe we can work something out...

StuJac
06-25-08, 07:14 AM
Where can I get one? Will it work on my 03 DeVille?

Thanks in advance.

Stu

hyperboimmv
06-25-08, 08:26 AM
I think the cellular unit I am talking about is different. CadillacSTS2003, do you know if the cell kit in the 98 has the same connections as the onstar kit? I guess I could look the wires up at least and could probably hack something together.

And as far as I know this module should work on any gm car with analog onstar. If this is your board, I'd patent it and post on every gm forum. You'd make a mint.

CadillacSTS42005
06-25-08, 08:52 AM
off hand no i do not but i highly doubt it wont work as your onstar used a cell phone as a controller as opposed to the mirror and built in microphone
even if you had a similar connector you would have no way of controlling it...

RustyBlazerDude
06-25-08, 01:13 PM
When I get back home I'll post a picture of the VIU / cellular units that I pulled from the trunk of my DTS. If they are the same, it should definitely work.

My unit uses the buttons and microphone to control the motorola module which in conjunction with your cell phone, effectively replaces the cars cell unit.

Basically, it converts the mirror signals and microphone levels into something that is compatible with the bluetooth module which then communnicates to your cell, which actually does the dialing. Unlike the onstar system, you get to use your cell number, minutes and service provider, whomever, whatever that might be.

And hyperboimmv, I dont know if it is patentable, but I'm glad to here that you think it's worthwhile. I love having it in my car, and I thought other caddy folks would love it too, but aside from you, stujak, and cadiallcsts2003, nobody seems interested.

If it looks like it will work , I will hook you guys up with a free unit (less moto kit) to be field tested. I have a few prototypes left over that I can piece together. I only ask that you guys work with me in case there are any bugs. And if it works for you, you can help me spread the word.

quantum
06-25-08, 01:53 PM
Please count me in as a beta tester for your prototype. I will be happy to give you plenty of feedback. I have an 02 Deville with the analog onstar.

It will make a great addition to my carPC which is going in this summer. I LOVE gadgets like this.

Is this the kit I would need to buy? http://direct.motorola.com/ENA/SetUpproduct.asp?productid=HF850&Category=Car%20Kits Then what, just plug your interface in and go?

Hell, I'll even be glad to pay you for shipping and be happy to spread the word for you! :)

Subscribed!

skippydts
06-25-08, 02:03 PM
How big is this module?
Where does the module plug in?
Will it pair with my T-Mobile BlackBerry?

mrgoodbar67
06-25-08, 02:25 PM
I havent checked the forum in a whiel, otherwise i would have been on board the first minute ths post was up.
Please count me bro.
Ive been looking for this for a LONG TIME.
That was the only reason i bought the pioneer avic d3. To use my ipod and cellphone.
Now that i have the aux in hack that sts2003 made on my stock nav and you have this........i can use the phone too!!!!!
Much appreciated if you really get this going bro.
ALLOT OF US on this forum, IM SURE, ARE IN.
Heres my email just as fyi
mrgoodbar672001@sbcglobal.net

fyi
i have a 2002 dts with the stock nav unit and whenever i press the onstar button or the phone button, a screen with a number key pad, answer, end, phone book buttons pops up. Will this still happen when your interface is installed? Will i be able to dial using the screen buttons and phone book contacts saved into the nav unit?

Ill take a pic and post to show what i mean.

Anyone alse have a stock nav with onstar that can chime in?
And im talking factory installed, not the nav units sts2003 sells. Just saying that cuz it might make a diff.

Anxiously waiting.

AlBundy
06-25-08, 05:29 PM
What nav unit sts2003 sells?:confused: Interested but no nav unit.:mad::alchi:

mrgoodbar67
06-25-08, 07:10 PM
Heres the link that tells you everything about his creation.

it works on devis, sevis and eldos...from what i read.

Ill take pics and maybe even vid of the nav with onstar displayed and aux hack running.

Its worth getting it from him. Thats if he still does them and has any.

cadillacsts2003 has a gr8 rep so hes legit, and is a genius.....
maybe if you continue with your bluetooth creation and come through for us here, youlll get the title too.... some day.

Weve heard the 00-05 deville bluetooth solution before but it turns out to be BS.
So dont think were not interested...just tired of the "solution" talk.
But if youre for real an dhave action to go with that talk, and send us one for testing (especially me so that i can test it on my stock nav with onstar and see how it works with the on screen dial pad menu etc...) well definitly be able to reccommend it and push it for you here and everywhere.

hope you come through bro

pics and possibly vid of my onstar and aux vid/audio hack working will be up tommorrow.

keep us updated

CadillacSTS42005
06-25-08, 08:49 PM
where have you been AL lol
if devise how to install a fully functional nav into any 98-04 Seville 00-05 Deville and am still working minor tweaks for the 96-97 Seville/96-02 Eldo

as for the bluetooth youll get more interest beyond a doubt with more exposure and that can only come from word of mouth on a good product
with a movie clip and one or two OP (original posters that are trusted) youll be able to move it, also a price would be handy

mrgoodbar67
06-26-08, 01:16 PM
Heres a pic of my nav screen displaying what comes on when i hit the "OnStar" or "Phone" button.

Once i press the button, the OnStar lady intros her self and the whole OnStar system "selling pitch".

When its done, the image returns to the normal screen you were on prior to pressing the OnStar button (radio, nav map, cdx,dvd, aux, etc..)

Ive never had the onstar active so i have no idea how the dial pad and phone option work but im sure its just las a phone.

I would love to check if the bluetooth solution that rustyblazerdud came up with on my screen dialpad.
If it works to its full potential, it would make it even better!

Hey Al,
I posted pics of the nav that sts2003 sells with hack in action on the "how to install stock nav into non staock nav cars" thread.
Check em out...im pretty sure you get one.

mrgoodbar67
06-26-08, 02:10 PM
Heres the link that tells you everything about his creation.

it works on devis, sevis and eldos...from what i read.

Ill take pics and maybe even vid of the nav with onstar displayed and aux hack running.

Its worth getting it from him. Thats if he still does them and has any.

cadillacsts2003 has a gr8 rep so hes legit, and is a genius.....
maybe if you continue with your bluetooth creation and come through for us here, youlll get the title too.... some day.

Weve heard the 00-05 deville bluetooth solution before but it turns out to be BS.
So dont think were not interested...just tired of the "solution" talk.
But if youre for real an dhave action to go with that talk, and send us one for testing (especially me so that i can test it on my stock nav with onstar and see how it works with the on screen dial pad menu etc...) well definitly be able to reccommend it and push it for you here and everywhere.

hope you come through bro

pics and possibly vid of my onstar and aux vid/audio hack working will be up tommorrow.

keep us updated

For got the link in my original post. My bad.
Heres the link...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/129187-factory-nav-system-ready-2-go.html

hyperboimmv
06-26-08, 02:32 PM
Well basically the only thing that I think would be useful for me is the class 2 communication. I have a motokit with the button module on my dash. I have no problems leaving that there, if I could make it go through the radio, with the radio being controlled by the class 2 interface, I would just have to wire my module through to the audio. So I guess what I am saying is if your board would have inputs I could tap into, to make the radio "accept a call and route audio through the speakers" I could probably do the rest. I am assuming that the radios are all the same for a certain year group (communication wise (read:class2)). I just don't know what models had the mirror driven onstar.

I mean as it stands right now, I am trying to figure out a way to 'safely' attach my motokit to my center and left channels, and power off the radio when the phone is active. But since I have no way of attaching to a mute wire, and would have to cut the 12v B+ wire to the radio, effectively removing all power, I don't see an easier way of doing this unless I have access to the communication bus. When I get home, I am going to look over some schematics for my model and a few newer blue onstar button based models. In theory all I would need is the Class2 TX and RX, and Audio - and + for at least one channel that is accessed by the radio via the class2 "switchover, or call mode".

And RustyBlazer, I think that there isn't a lot of interest because there have been a lot of products like this that have been thought up, and never actually produced. I think people don't put forth the effort to say they are interested only to have their hopes lost because the product never sees life. I am sure once like 5 people on the board have this, you will have a large thread.

AlBundy
06-26-08, 04:20 PM
Hey Al,
I posted pics of the nav that sts2003 sells with hack in action on the "how to install stock nav into non staock nav cars" thread.
Check em out...im pretty sure you get one.

Thanks alot.:highfive: That thing look great. I've got to catch up on forum business.:thumbsup:

RustyBlazerDude
06-26-08, 05:36 PM
Fair enough hyperboimmv, I see what you mean about false expectations. All I can say is it works in my car, and I have made a board which I will give to you guys to try. If you are happy with it, we can then see where it goes from there. At that point we can look at pricing, but I'm sure it will be reasonable. If I can secure enough business, perhaps I can contact a moto wholesale ditributor and get better pricing on the HF850 module. I'm thinking the whole solution should be around $200-$250 depending on what the moto goes for.

Let me clarify a few things though, about how and what it does.

It does NOT work in conjunction with the OnStar Navigation interface. It simply reads the button pushes from the mirror, and communicates that to the moto HF850 module. As far as I know, the mirror on all GM cars is the same, and acts only to supply keypresses to the onstar unit. It has no sophistication itself. My unit should work in a car with navigation, just nothing will display on your nav when a call is being made or received.

It WILL sense off hook status from the moto module and mute the radio via class 2 data command, exactly as the onstar unit would have done it if it were still installed. The audio from the moto module (which is actually received via bluetooth from your phone) is sent to the cars amplifier which is also switched via class 2 data to take the input from what was the onstar device, and is now my interface module. When the call is over, the radio will unmute, and the amplifier will be switched to take the radio's input.

I promise I will make a video showing all of this more clearly once I get back home next week. It will show how to install the unit and how to make and receive calls.

I will also provide pictures of my onstar equipment that was removed and connector information from my service manual that shows the units interface.

I'm hoping that they are the same as my 01 DTS. IF so, its a plugin.

Now if you already have the moto kit installed, you need to unplug all the connectors including power, mic, speaker, AND keypad. This all goes away. The only thing you keep is the core module as shown in my pic. The board I'm going to give you plugs right in where all those cables were. The onstar mirror buttons will replace your keypad, the onstar mic will replace your moto mic, the audio, power and class2 connections will go through the attached harness and plug right were the onstar unit plugged into.

As mentioned, I'll do all of this once I get back home. And I should be able to ship out ~5 units for trial so that they should be in your hands by next weekend. Once we confirm cable pinouts for your specific vehicles, I'll get your addresses.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

-RBD

mrgoodbar67
06-26-08, 06:08 PM
It all sounds good bro thanks.
Please do make me when of those testers so that i may test it with my nav...and see what happens once its installed.
Keep us updated.

quantum
06-26-08, 10:13 PM
I'm still in for one too! I love being a beta tester

:)

hyperboimmv
06-26-08, 10:37 PM
RBD,

Do you happen to have a wiring diagram or at least a pin out that you could possibly send me? That may help me in my search to figure out how I can customize this to fit what I need. I mean, there is no way I am going to beable to get around not having the keypad, so if you were to have a board that didn't have any connectors on it, that would be perfect for me, because I would probably need to solder some wires in place of the connectors so I can clip/splice into the right areas.

CadillacSTS42005
06-26-08, 11:28 PM
well
as soon as your ready for testing let me know

RustyBlazerDude
06-26-08, 11:50 PM
I'll get you pinout info when I get home.

Why cant you do without the keypad?

Between the onstar buttons and the volume control on the steering wheel, you have everything you need (or at least everything that is available on the moto keypad).

I'll work with you to customize it as you need, but help me understand why.

hyperboimmv
06-27-08, 02:12 AM
Because I don't have the onstar buttons on my mirror. The 98 didn't come with onstar except as a hand-held phone option/kit. Basically I would test/buy your board from you, only to use its ability to detect the off hook status of the motokit and send audio and class2 data to the radio to mute and what not. The current onstar setups have two connectors. If I am understanding my schematic correctly, I have one connector, and it was for an optional integrated phone kit that caused the steering wheel controls to go from having temp up/down and fan up/down to temp up/down and send/end.

That makes me wonder, CadillacSTS2003, would I have to have the dealer use the tech2 to tell the car that there is the cellular kit installed before this works? Or do you think that if it gets a mute signal, it will just work?

RustyBlazerDude, I would certainly appreciate any info you give me. Anything that gets me closer to the options I want my car to have is excellent.

xxxxxxxxxdcd9675
06-27-08, 06:23 PM
If you are still there I am interested in a plug and play solution. let me know how much
Thanks Dennis

RustyBlazerDude
06-28-08, 11:34 AM
Ok, as promised here are some photos of the viu module that I removed from the DTS' trunk. The part number is Delphi 12201539. If you have this unit, my module should work for you, since this is what my module is emulating. The harness is GM part number 12450687. If you have this, then my kit is plug and play. This harness has three connectors on one side (red and blue connectors plug into VIU, and DB25 connector plugs into cell unit.) The other side has the same connector as my harness. So you need to remove the viu/cell combo and the harness that goes with it. (Actually, you could just remove the harness and eave the viu/cell module, but then you have to find another place to mount my kit.

I also have a manual which shows the pinouts and a little more info on how to use the kit. It's a modified version of the moto manual.

***Note*** This is not ready for prime time yet until you guys have tested it in various vehicles. As i mentioned before, I did this for my vehicle only and have not tested it anything else. Once you guys are happy with it, I can make it available to all. CoSTAR technologies will be the company name and the product will be called the BlueSTAR. but IT IS NOT AVAILABE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC YET!!!

Hyperboimmv, if you need more info let me know info@costartech.com

CadillacSTS42005
06-28-08, 11:55 AM
in about 10 seconds i can tell you if it will work or not
i can use GM esi and see if the pins/plugs match up

quantum
06-28-08, 11:56 AM
Looks like I have the same Onstar setup in the 02 DTS!!! Cool!!!

So, Mr. RustyBlazerDude, what is the next step, you need an address from me to send the trial board? E-mail? Money?

I am guessing I'll need to get one of the Motorola HF850 kits too, no problem there, I was going to get one anyway (or something like it).

Let me know, PM is fine or e-mail, either way.

Many, many thanks!

CadillacSTS42005
06-28-08, 12:08 PM
:yeah:

RustyBlazerDude
06-28-08, 12:19 PM
I think I have enough parts from the prototype purchase to build up 4 additional boards and harnesses. I'll work on building them up and testing them this weekend. Send me your addresses to info@costartech.com and I'll mail them out early next week.

You'll have to get the moto kit if you don't already have one. Check e-bay. It must be the HF850 because my board plugs directly into that module.

Quantum looks like a plug and play so he shouldn't have any issues, not sure about the rest of you guys. But whatever car you have, I'll make it work somehow. I'm even thinking of buying one of those nav units from cadillacsts2003. Maybe I can figure out a way to make that work too.

CadillacSTS42005
06-28-08, 12:21 PM
i just sent you an email
i can def buy the moto kit just shoot a link were you think the best place to get it is
as for the nav unit we can def work something out later
as it seems so far the nav/no nav wont really matter your product will work 100% with it except there will be NO WAY to use voice commands on the nav unit as it requires the VCIM which is removed in the installation of "bluestar"

quantum
06-28-08, 12:33 PM
e-mail sent :)

STS2003 - e-bay is where I found mine.

hyperboimmv
06-28-08, 07:00 PM
I guess I do need a bit more info. I am trying to find a cross from the Onstar connectors on the DeVille to the connector on my 98 Seville. So far, I am going to assume the 'ppl' data wire would be the same. I won't need to worry about the LED wires, as there is no led. MIC will be connected to the moto unit along with the keypad. I guess the only wires I need to worry about are the MUTE, Audio +/- to amp, GROUND, Fused Battery, and Ignition Sense. I am assuming you are using the orange wire for your 12+ constant. What wire on your DTS are you using for radio mute?

Here is the cross reference I am getting from following the schematics:

Please tell me what you think. I hope this will work.

CadillacSTS42005
06-28-08, 07:05 PM
hyber im gonna say likely not
your car needed cell phone equipment for that years onstar
even if it did have onstar the vcim used had 4 plugs and was controlled via the hand held unit (ie the phone) not an overhead mirror control

im sure using all the wires used in all the systems you COULD get the module correctly wired in but then you have the issue of interfacing it with the controller in your case the impossible to find onstar cell kit

hyperboimmv
06-28-08, 07:21 PM
I don't understand what you mean by controller? I mean I am going off of the assumption that the radio/amp, for that year, knows how to handle the class 2 data his board is going to send. If the radio/amp recognizes this as a signal to switch to the audio input, then I am in. I mean, his kit is a total replacement for the onstar hardware. The mirror control is not going to be an issue, because on my dash I have the moto control pod mounted. I also have the mic on my drivers side pillar.

Now, I'm not arguing with you... I am just really wanting this thing to work. :-D

CadillacSTS42005
06-28-08, 07:32 PM
on my system and all later systems the onstar system and what this interface relies on is the mirror acting as a controller for the system
the 98-00ish onstar system utilized a cell phone to operate the system along with completely different wiring, onstar in those days was an added dealer kit, in 01 and on all newer cars it is hardwired into the entire cars electrical system...

hyperboimmv
06-28-08, 07:37 PM
Right, I understand that. All his module is doing is checking the resistance from those buttons and applying them to the motokit's brain as different functions. Instead of the onstar buttons, I will have:

http://assets1.everythingtreo.com/store_images/product_images/accessories/large/3438.jpg

I guess the only way to really find out if this is going to work or not is for him to send me a board that has wires on it that I can connect to the motorola hf brain and to the car.

CadillacSTS42005
06-28-08, 07:41 PM
yea
then whats the point of buying or using anything from him if you plan to use that as the controller
you can install that as it sits right now into your car and use that to control it...

hyperboimmv
06-28-08, 08:15 PM
But the audio goes through a little speaker mounted under my seat. Using his module, the radio switches sources, so its like an auto mute, plus the audio would go through the car stereo instead of the little loudspeaker.

I mean its either this, or connecting relays to the audio out wires on the back of the radio, with some sort of method of preventing amp thump, so when a call comes in, the relays switch over to the hf kit and the sound goes through the radio. I don't want to have that sort of a hacked setup.

RustyBlazerDude
06-28-08, 09:06 PM
Hyper,
No worries dude, I'll send you a test unit that you can plug into the OBDII connector. I'll put a switch on it for testing that will, in effect, ground the mute wire, and thus send the radio mute command out on to the class2 bus.
If the radio mutes, than all we have to do is get the audio from your moto module into the amp, get mute from moto along with power and ground into my board, and get class2 data bus connected.

You will have to disconnect whatever onstar system you might have since there is alot of handshaking that goes back and forth in the command and having the real unit installed with mine might confuse things a little.

I have a test cable with an OBDII connector on one side and a DB9 that I'll interface to my board, but you gotta make sure I get it back.

This will in affect, act like a class 2 "lockpick".

It may take a little longer to rig something up for you to test, but I should still be able to get you something to try before the week is out.

And you might want to think about getting an onstar mirror off of ebay and loose that cheesy moto controller and external mic going forward...

hyperboimmv
06-28-08, 09:27 PM
I was thinking about getting a mirror already, lol. I was actually thinking of getting one with the compass and temp in one display.

I also sent you an email, so be on the look out. LOL

thu
06-29-08, 08:09 PM
This is very interesting to me. I've been thinking about building my own Bluetooth interface to my 2003 STS with NAV. I think I have pretty much the same car that CadillacSTS2003 has. Looks like RustyBlazerDude is almost done with his implementation.

I await to see the results - how it operates, etc.

Thanks for your efforts, all of you.

thu
06-29-08, 08:49 PM
Heres a pic of my nav screen displaying what comes on when i hit the "OnStar" or "Phone" button.

Once i press the button, the OnStar lady intros her self and the whole OnStar system "selling pitch".

When its done, the image returns to the normal screen you were on prior to pressing the OnStar button (radio, nav map, cdx,dvd, aux, etc..)

Ive never had the onstar active so i have no idea how the dial pad and phone option work but im sure its just las a phone.

I would love to check if the bluetooth solution that rustyblazerdud came up with on my screen dialpad.
If it works to its full potential, it would make it even better!

I don't get that screen when I try to use the built-in phone or the OnStar button. I hear all the normal prompts (e.g. "call", "dial"), but nothing special appears on the Nav screen. The stereo mutes, though. 2003 STS with Factory Nav.

mrgoodbar67
06-30-08, 12:57 PM
thats strange......use the voice recog button on the steering wheel and say "phone" after the beep.
See what happens

thu
06-30-08, 03:15 PM
thats strange......use the voice recog button on the steering wheel and say "phone" after the beep.
See what happens

Yah, I did that. I can control the phone and make calls (if I had the service), etc via voice prompts. I just don't get anything on the NAV screen.

The owner's manual says nothing about anything appearing on the NAV screen, either. Maybe things changed in 2003.

thu
06-30-08, 03:57 PM
RustyBlazerDude,

As I recall, the steering wheel's phone buttons result in a Class2 message being sent to the car's built-in phone. So, I assume that your module doesn't recognize these buttons since your module doesn't listen for Class2 messages being sent to the phone, right?

I've been thinking of developing a complete Class2 <--> Bluetooth interface for my car for some time now. I just haven't gotten around to it.

RustyBlazerDude
06-30-08, 07:05 PM
Actually, my kit does look for messages coming in on the class2 data bus. And it will respond to volume controls from the steering wheel.

The mute command is actually quite complicated with lots of handshaking required to set it up properly. That's why it took me since Feb. to get it working properly.

There was also some complexity involved in interfacing with the microphone and button circuitry from the onstar system, not to mention emulating keypad and microphone on the moto side as well. Impedance matching etc.

But it's too soon to toot my own horn. Let's wait for some feebdback from the guys who will be testing it...

And Thu, as i said earlier in this thread, it will not put anything on the nav system screen.

Clifton Gardner
06-30-08, 09:58 PM
I would like to get on the wagon for one also. If i am not too late please email me at gcliff1939@aol.com

thu
06-30-08, 10:17 PM
Rusty,

Oh yes, I forgot that your module responds to commands from the volume controls on the steering wheel. Sorry about that.

If you want me to beta a prototype, too, I'd be happy to do that.

RustyBlazerDude
07-01-08, 04:59 PM
Guys,
Just wanted to give you a quick progress update on the evals.

I worked on the boards all weekend and they are just about finished, but I am having problems getting good crimps in the harnesses. I ordered a new crimp tool and should hopefully get that in this week. Last thing I want is for you to get a board in and have a wire break off during test. That would be frustrating for both parties.

When they ship, I'll email you tracking numbers.

Sorry for the delay,

RustyBlazerDude.

AlBundy
07-01-08, 05:10 PM
I'm interested. I hope this turns out ok.

cadmanchris
07-01-08, 10:55 PM
I'm interested too. Let me know. It's for a 01 DTS also.

hyperboimmv
07-01-08, 11:33 PM
So I was thinking on the way to work... How hard would it be to hijack the cd changer communication and make an input for .. Oh, I dunno, my motokit's bluetooth streaming audio ability? What would one have to have to make this possible, hopefully in the same module?

--- Its just a thought, not tryin to stir the pot or anything. --- :duck:

thu
07-02-08, 02:35 AM
I worked on the boards all weekend and they are just about finished, but I am having problems getting good crimps in the harnesses. I ordered a new crimp tool and should hopefully get that in this week. Last thing I want is for you to get a board in and have a wire break off during test. That would be frustrating for both parties.

I've made many a cable. I know how you feel. Good luck with that.

RustyBlazerDude
07-02-08, 08:23 AM
So I was thinking on the way to work... How hard would it be to hijack the cd changer communication and make an input for .. Oh, I dunno, my motokit's bluetooth streaming audio ability? What would one have to have to make this possible, hopefully in the same module?

--- Its just a thought, not tryin to stir the pot or anything. --- :duck:

Not a bad idea, I have an ipod interface that goes in the CD changer slot and it works OK.

I do see two problems with this though..
1. Audio level at CD port is line level (like what comes out of IPOD earphone jack) The moto audio out is meant to drive an 8 ohm speaker directly, so it needs to be padded down.
2. I'm not sure if the CD changer communication bus (entertainment bus is different than class 2 bus) supports auto switching. Meaning that when a call comes in, you might have to hit the source button on the radio in order to hear any audio if you are not already in CD changer mode.

Maybe STS2003 can add more info regarding this idea.

Also, for others who have been PM'ing me, I do not have enough posts yet to reply. Please email me at info@costartech.com with any private questions or comments.

Thanks,
-RBD

hyperboimmv
07-02-08, 08:26 AM
On my kit, the audio won't go through the loudspeaker. The manual said it was a line level output meant to interface with your radio. But I dunno if others are different? I mean with my kit, it lets me stream audio to it, but I can't use it because I don't have it hooked up to the radio. It also gives me a line in, to hook something else up. But, like I said, it was just food for thought I guess.. LOL

I guess what I was thinking was that the Bluetooth Stream would emulate the CD changer, so if a call came in, the radio would still switch. I dunno I think I am thinking too far into this.

CadillacSTS42005
07-02-08, 10:24 PM
98 SLS does not have data bus communication with the changer it communicates using entertainment serial data
However if your looking for a clean aux in sound they do make an aux in adapter which uses the changer wires for direct sound

2003tahoe
07-03-08, 02:44 PM
If it will work in my 2003 Tahoe, I'm interested.

Thanks.

StuJac
07-03-08, 06:31 PM
Me too. Continuing to monitor the thread. Do we know yet if it will work on an 03 Base DeVille?

xxxxxxxxxdcd9675
07-04-08, 01:23 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the parts that RustyBlazerDude is talking about?

Stuff like the cable and board to connect the motorola unit to the onstar unit?

Any help would be great
P.S. I would have emailed Rustyblazerdude but I can't without first having 25 post's
Thanks Dennis

hyperboimmv
07-04-08, 05:30 PM
He is making them, waiting to be tested, then hopefully mass produced! :-d

xxxxxxxxxdcd9675
07-06-08, 11:28 PM
He is making them, waiting to be tested, then hopefully mass produced! :-d

Thanks for the info.

RustyBlazerDude
07-08-08, 02:14 PM
Ok fellas, After a long holiday weekend, I got my #$% together and have mailed out the first batch of evaluation units.

With this we hope to satisfy the Seville / Deville markets going back as far as '98.

All other models that have class2 data comm should work provided we get the correct interface cabling. This includes all GM vehicles, not just Cadillacs.

The next step is to create these interface cables for various GM vehicles. If anyone has a copy of the onstar interface schematics from their service manuals, please send me an email (no PM's please) and I will begin compiling / defining and creating interface cables for the various vehicles.

With positive feedback from the field, we can begin production orders for anyone else interested in these units.

Keep your eyes on this thread for additional status updates and field testing results.

Thanks again for all of your help and interest in this.

info@costartech.com

-RustyBlazerDude

CadillacSTS42005
07-08-08, 02:21 PM
i can give u the VCIM pin outs for any gm 98-05

mrgoodbar67
07-08-08, 09:54 PM
how will i know if i was one of th lucky testers?
without having to wait for it in the mail.

AlBundy
07-09-08, 12:27 AM
I intent to read STS's entire thread on this an I hope it has the interest that I have for it. All these options I would like to have for my 96 but if it's not possible please PM me and let me know what I can do before my 38 page journey. Thank you.

CadillacSTS42005
07-10-08, 11:49 AM
got mine today!
just gotta buy the Motorola kit and we shall test this puppy out!
expect more from me in about a week

initial impressions VERY PROFESSIONAL looking set up
looks like it came straight from a manufacturer not a guy working in his garage
truly A1 clean looking set up

StuJac
07-10-08, 12:04 PM
Is it being tested on an 03 base Deville? Or any of the same models so we'll know if works the same?

CadillacSTS42005
07-10-08, 12:07 PM
Is it being tested on an 03 base Deville? Or any of the same models so we'll know if works the same?
our cars have the same VCIM if it works on my 03 STS itll work on your 03 Deville

Ok, as promised here are some photos of the viu module that I removed from the DTS' trunk. The part number is Delphi 12201539. If you have this unit, my module should work for you, since this is what my module is emulating. The harness is GM part number 12450687. If you have this, then my kit is plug and play. This harness has three connectors on one side (red and blue connectors plug into VIU, and DB25 connector plugs into cell unit.) The other side has the same connector as my harness. So you need to remove the viu/cell combo and the harness that goes with it. (Actually, you could just remove the harness and eave the viu/cell module, but then you have to find another place to mount my kit.

I also have a manual which shows the pinouts and a little more info on how to use the kit. It's a modified version of the moto manual.

***Note*** This is not ready for prime time yet until you guys have tested it in various vehicles. As i mentioned before, I did this for my vehicle only and have not tested it anything else. Once you guys are happy with it, I can make it available to all. CoSTAR technologies will be the company name and the product will be called the BlueSTAR. but IT IS NOT AVAILABE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC YET!!!

Hyperboimmv, if you need more info let me know info@costartech.com

quick ? and i noticed this as well
which of the plugs does your kit plug into
i have dug into it yet so please excuse my ignorance but the connector with the kit you sent looks like a connector for a splice pack not a connector for either of the 32 pin plugs on the vcim box (where i assumed you were tapping in)
is the splice pack where this plugs into higher up where the 2 32 pins branch off from?

hyperboimmv
07-10-08, 12:19 PM
I am still waiting for mine.. It has been in Lenexa for the past 24 hours... Ugh.. Way worth the 30 minute drive, but.. Good luck trying to get it from them, I guess.. LOL..

RustyBlazerDude
07-10-08, 02:31 PM
quick ? and i noticed this as well
which of the plugs does your kit plug into
i have dug into it yet so please excuse my ignorance but the connector with the kit you sent looks like a connector for a splice pack not a connector for either of the 32 pin plugs on the vcim box (where i assumed you were tapping in)
is the splice pack where this plugs into higher up where the 2 32 pins branch off from?

There is a small harness (see pic below) which has 4 connectors on it. The RED and BLUE connectors, go to the VCIM, there is a DB25 that goes to the cellular communicator, and this whole thing ties into the vehicle with the splice pack connector. So as I mentioned a while back, you need to remove this harness, and plug my harness in its place. Mine was located in the trunk.
Using the splice connector makes for a real simple, and reliable install. Hopefully, this will be common among several models, if not, i will have to make different harnesses. If anyone out there can do a reverse lookup on this harness and tell me what vehicles it was used in, I would know which vehicles this kit would drop right in as is. There might even be a free unit in it for you !!!:thumbsup:

The appearance will be even better once manufactured by machines. These boards were all hand soldered and the cables were all hand crimped. I'll have them made by a contract manufacturer if there is sufficient demand.

hyperboimmv
07-10-08, 04:04 PM
So I got mine finally, and I ripped open the box, plugged it in, flipped the switch, and it totally kicked the radio into phone mode... Now the wire hunt begins...

RustyBlazerDude, you totally rock! Thank you so very much!

RustyBlazerDude
07-10-08, 04:28 PM
WooHoo !!! :highfive::highfive::highfive:

mike.nite
07-10-08, 06:44 PM
So I got mine finally, and I ripped open the box, plugged it in, flipped the switch, and it totally kicked the radio into phone mode... Now the wire hunt begins...

RustyBlazerDude, you totally rock! Thank you so very much!

I've a 99 STS with the DVD Nav but without onstar. So will this work?

So if it works in Hyper's car it should also work in mine - right?
Will I need a "Onstar ECM Module" and the Onstar-Mirror ?

Thanks

RustyBlazerDude
07-10-08, 07:41 PM
Looks like I'll be making two version of this product.

The "BlueSTAR" unit, which interface to the motorola HF850 hands free car kit and uses the OnStar mirror buttons and microphone, and passes the audio into the cars amplifier, and...

The "HyperSTAR" (named after HyperBoimmv) which simply mutes the radio over class 2 and is triggered with an external mute input. You can use any bluetooth kit with this version, but it will not interface to the onstar mic, buttons or pass audio to the radio.

The HyperSTAR unit should work in all GM class 2 controlled vehicles without Onstar.

I'll detail all of this again in more detail on my website once I get it up and running. www.costartech.com

hyperboimmv
07-11-08, 02:37 AM
:bouncy:Saweeet! I have a product named after me :P:bouncy:

So, I figured I would post a quick update... I have taken lots of pictures, but until I get this permanently mounted, they aren't going to do any good.

Basically, I tore my car apart, taking the rear bottom and top seats out, and the lining out of the top and back of the trunk. I found a harness that I thought was like the one I was looking for, but it ended up not working. I have a car that has Bose in it, so cars with out Bose will work, but not using the same harnesses I am.

I am using a connector on the amp for the bluetooth. It has class2 and telephone audio on it. Basically, connect the class 2 purple wire to one of the purple wires in the connector, and then connect the line level out positive and negative from the bluetooth kit to the positive and negative audio wires on the harness. The low level mute from the hands free kit needs to connect to the yellow wire on the HyperSTAR board. The hands free kit needs to be connected following your user instructions, but I am using a Motorola T605 Wireless Stereo/Car Kit, so I have my 12v+ from the HyperSTAR board connected to the Ignition sense on the t605. I have the ground connected in the same harness as well. Now the only issue I am having is getting the low level mute from the t605 to work. I can't find my multimeter, so I haven't a clue what is going on.

Now, I know the kit works, because I ground the mute wire, make a call, and it comes through the front tweeters. The volume is controlled on the bluetooth kit. There is no need to go to the dealer to have the hands free kit enabled.

This is going to get edited, and I will post pictures when I am done, but I wanted to get my results up. I work tomorrow night, so I am going to spend the night putting my car back together. After taking everything apart, the kit is quite simple to install, once I found a harness I could use.

Attached is a screen shot of the harness I used.

RustyBlazerDude, you totally rock, and thank you for making this, and sending one to me to test. :thumbsup::highfive::worship:

hyperboimmv
07-11-08, 08:06 AM
Okay so for some reason, I can't edit my posts. Well I need to make an addition. The T605 is wired incorrectly from the factory. Motorola swapped the orange (supposed to be audio +) with the yellow (supposed to be mute). That is why I couldn't get my kit to mute when there is activity. I searched for T605 mute on google and found a SAAB board that was talking about it. So, the changes I made are that I am using the amplified audio out to connect to my amplifier, and the orange wire now connects to the HyperSTAR module.

I am getting ready for bed, I have to be up in 5 hours, to go to work, so I haven't finished the install the way I want. I am going to try and find a prototype box to put the module in, and I am going to make a harness for the amp, so I can plug and unplug if necessary. The T605 only uses five wires in the main harness: Red Constant for 12+, Black for Ground, Green for 12+ Ignition, Purple for Audio +, and Grey for Audio -. The HyperSTAR module uses Red for 12+ (I recommend using a switched source, because if the mute is shorted, the amp kicks in with the car off, regardless of radio activity) Grey for ground, Yellow for Mute, and Purple for Class 2 communication. I am trying to think of places to mount my mic, but the pillar is going to have to do for now. I think I am going to mount the T605 under the drivers seat. Before I got this board, I had my center console emptied out, with a 10 foot harness inside, hooked to the T605, because I wasn't sure what I was going to do, or where I was going to mount the stuff, but now that I have a controller and don't need the loud speaker, things are getting moved around.

The only problems I had with the install were from the T605 its self, not from the HyperSTAR. I am amazed at the quality of this board for being hand built. The sound quality is excellent. I can use the handset to control the volume, which is either good or bad, depending how you look at it, but nothing related to this module. This works with the iPhone, and its visual voicemail (read:selling point). For most of you, the BlueSTAR is going to be a plug and go type setup, but for those of us who don't have onstar, a bit of searching for the harness is required, and you will have to take the rear seats out. Once I figured out what I was going to hook up where, it was straight forward. The non-bose systems should be able to use this (read:sls,sts,eldo,deville, presumably any of the radios that have a phone display), so lots of people should be able to make use of this wonderful kit. Now, just in case there is some confusion, you would order BlueSTAR to use with a specific motorola kit that RustyBlazerDude would recommend, and you would want to use it to replace your analog onstar. The HyperSTAR kit is for any type of car kit that has a mute out (relays may be required). No audio goes through the HyperSTAR board.

I will get pics up once I get everything cleaned up, and can do a step by step instruction set to match the pics. RustyBlazerDude, thanks again, I truly am grateful for this. And you have built an amazing product.

CadillacSTS42005
07-11-08, 10:50 AM
very nice
congrats man
cant wait to get my kit and test her

CadillacSTS42005
07-11-08, 01:55 PM
so wait
you can use either the hf850 or the hf650 with the bluestar/hyperstar?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=KBMQ4XWSN3GBJKC4D3FVAGI?sku Id=8338364&type=product&id=1175389264447

RustyBlazerDude
07-11-08, 03:14 PM
It looks like the "BlueSTAR" will require the HF850 junction box. The HF650 looks completely different.

The "HyperSTAR" should work with ANY hands free kit since it does not interface directly to the kit, it only blanks the radio. But you will need to use the keypad and mic that comes with the hands free kit.

hyperboimmv
07-11-08, 07:16 PM
... With my experience, I would not recommend the T605... I have had nothing but trouble.. Besides their harness not being correct, sometimes when I use my iPhone, it decides its going to keep the kit turned on, even after the car is off, requiring me to pull a fuse to let the kit pair my treo... I bought the T605 from a Verizon store, because they were on sale (120, I think), but I am thinking of getting a Parrot 3000 or something simple. I like my ipod too much, so I don't need to stream audio...

*Side note, I still don't understand where my edit post button went.*

*edit: I say that, then the button is on this post only.. This is odd..*

mrgoodbar67
07-11-08, 07:24 PM
i think u can only edit previuos post within the same day

mrgoodbar67
07-11-08, 07:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-Handsfree-Rearview-Mirror-Car-Kit-Sun-Visor_W0QQitemZ330250098164QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1493 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VR3-BLUETOOTH-HANDS-FREE-CELL-PHONE-CAR-KIT-MIRROR_W0QQitemZ320270076242QQihZ011QQcategoryZ203 36QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ok i really like this bluetooth solution but find it a lil pricey though ill probably still get one.
i was ebaying just now and found this pretty cool rear view mirror bluetooth gadget.

it fits over the exsting mirror and acts like rbd's product...except it transmits the audio through the radio using an fm freq.
what i really like about it is the caller id display, voice dialing and earpice that they provide incase privacy is an issue.

just some ideas i threw ouy...but i still like rbds bc of its integration and stock feel/look.

dont think im bashing his solution.
just be cool if it had caller id etc....

hyperboimmv
07-11-08, 08:06 PM
<sucking up>
Actually, I was going to ask RustyBlazerDude how hard it would be to either use Class2 for the DIC to display caller id text, or E&C bus to display Caller ID text on the radio, but I think this would probably be way too involved, and would be limited to a handful or less of car kits. Would be kind of cool to have an interface board that hooked up to class 2 giving a person the ability to use his computer to send messages and chimes to the DIC. But then again, if he accomplished this, who knows what he is capable of. :-D

</sucking up>

RustyBlazerDude
07-11-08, 09:39 PM
I actually put some thought into this idea a while back.

There are a couple of hurdles to overcome:
1st: The moto HF850 module (which I happen to have had at the time) does not provide caller ID information to any peripheral device (keypad, etc.) So I don't readily have access to this information.

2nd: As far as I know, the 2001 DTS (which I happen to have had at the time) cannot accept any form of external text to be displayed on the radio. Since my IPOD interface cannot display song info, I assume this to be true.

To get around problem 1, I could base a module on the Parrot bluetooth interface. But that would add significant cost to the overall solution.

To get around problem 2, it might be possible to tap into the RDS system display somehow, but I can't really see that viable since that is modulated data on the FM radio carrier.

As for me, I throw the phone in the well in front of stick shift and if it should ring when I'm in the car, I simply pick up the phone and look on the display to see who it is. A little archaic these days I admit, but it actually works!

And besides, sometime I dont want the passengers in my car to know who is calling. Could be an old girlfriend. (Or worse a new one!) My wife would be steamed.:eek:

RustyBlazerDude
07-11-08, 09:40 PM
No news here, just bumpin' up the post counter so I can return all your PM's.
-RBD

hyperboimmv
07-11-08, 09:52 PM
Is it 25 or 50, I can't remember?

Anyways, I am not sure who or where or what it was, but I could have sworn someone here had a video posted of his DIC displaying custom messages... Hrm, maybe I am just making stuff up as I go, who knows.

RustyBlazerDude
07-11-08, 10:02 PM
It's 25.
And if you or anyone else can find that link, I'd love to see it.
I can think of endless things to display. With a class2 tap, I can display all sorts of goodies.

hyperboimmv
07-11-08, 10:16 PM
I am wanting a screen-less navigation display, I think blaupunkt had one I liked (Turn left on Arrow Blvd, the next line, Turn right on to ramp) etc. Thats why I think the serial -> module -> Class 2 -> DIC thing would be kind of cool.

CadillacSTS42005
07-12-08, 12:04 AM
I actually put some thought into this idea a while back.

There are a couple of hurdles to overcome:
1st: The moto HF850 module (which I happen to have had at the time) does not provide caller ID information to any peripheral device (keypad, etc.) So I don't readily have access to this information.

2nd: As far as I know, the 2001 DTS (which I happen to have had at the time) cannot accept any form of external text to be displayed on the radio. Since my IPOD interface cannot display song info, I assume this to be true.

To get around problem 1, I could base a module on the Parrot bluetooth interface. But that would add significant cost to the overall solution.

To get around problem 2, it might be possible to tap into the RDS system display somehow, but I can't really see that viable since that is modulated data on the FM radio carrier.

As for me, I throw the phone in the well in front of stick shift and if it should ring when I'm in the car, I simply pick up the phone and look on the display to see who it is. A little archaic these days I admit, but it actually works!

And besides, sometime I dont want the passengers in my car to know who is calling. Could be an old girlfriend. (Or worse a new one!) My wife would be steamed.:eek:

i know the nav radio can be made to accept messages
hence why with the xm option it will display the channel name on the top have of the screen

mrgoodbar67
07-13-08, 10:42 PM
thata tru because installer.com sells some bt kit that interfaces with gm radios that have rds.
when a call is in progress the rds displays "phone" or "bluetooth".

noesp
07-15-08, 11:39 PM
Have any of you beta testers tried one of these yet? It sounds like a great product, can't wait until it's available. Is there anything holding it up?

mike.nite
07-18-08, 10:05 PM
Any news from the beta tester?
Hyper - does it work fine? (I also have a non Onstar sts)

hyperboimmv
07-19-08, 07:03 PM
I was gone for a good portion of the week. I don't have my car assembled, but I spliced wires when I was bored. The module works as it should, you get a ground, it stops playing tapes/cds and mutes the radio and plays the audio you have coming into the cell in on the amp. I still have pics I need to put up for the connection, but on the bose amp, its the smallest connector, that has two data wires, two cell wires, and two other wires. I have a bluetooth adapter in my computer so I synced the kit to it, and using Streets and Trip, the radio switches audio over when ever nav voice comes through. It'd be kinda cool to get a plugin rigged up so it would ground out half a second before a guidance voice comes over. There are a lot of possibilities with a bluetooth kit and the HyperStar.

mike.nite
07-19-08, 10:06 PM
I was gone for a good portion of the week. I don't have my car assembled, but I spliced wires when I was bored. The module works as it should, you get a ground, it stops playing tapes/cds and mutes the radio and plays the audio you have coming into the cell in on the amp. I still have pics I need to put up for the connection, but on the bose amp, its the smallest connector, that has two data wires, two cell wires, and two other wires. I have a bluetooth adapter in my computer so I synced the kit to it, and using Streets and Trip, the radio switches audio over when ever nav voice comes through. It'd be kinda cool to get a plugin rigged up so it would ground out half a second before a guidance voice comes over. There are a lot of possibilities with a bluetooth kit and the HyperStar.

1. So do cds pause or completely stop?
2. Do you use the Motorola HF850 Bluetooth ?
3. Would it be possible to get visual outputs (numbers/names) on the nav screen or DIC ?

hyperboimmv
07-20-08, 08:15 AM
The mechanisim stops (tape/cd) when there is a call, and starts again when the call ends. I am using the T605, so I am just using a ground to mute on the HyperStar. Text etc isn't available until RustyBlazerDude makes a hack.

mike.nite
07-20-08, 05:05 PM
RBD and Hyper - Thanks for the update!

quantum
07-23-08, 12:05 AM
Just got the final piece of the puzzle today, the HF850 kit.

Hopefully with some good weather this weekend, I'll be able to pop it in.

Anxious to see how it works with the GMOS-06 in place of the radio. Pushing the Onstar buttons for Onstar makes the song volume mute and come back on when the "call" is cancelled. That's a good sign!

CadillacSTS42005
07-23-08, 02:02 AM
im still waiting on my kit
they sent me the wrong one a 605
they are rushing me the correct one...

CadillacSTS42005
07-24-08, 12:29 PM
got my box today
began testing
and what other can i say than this guy has my 100% full backing
kit works flawlessly
remember the buttons will be the hardest part but thats to be expected
anyone looking for a bluetooth solution for their Cadillac Deville or Seville and have it fully integrated with the stock Cadillac system would do right to buy the Bluestar!

oldeja
07-24-08, 01:50 PM
I've got a 2003 dts with a useless onstar and I'm not bad with installs. I was going to make a hack then I started reading and followed this thread. Now I'm excited. I want a BlueStar! Talk to me Rusty.

mrgoodbar67
07-24-08, 01:55 PM
RBD,
what do i need to do on my part to get one and install it?
sts2003,
what do u mean the buttons are the hardest part?

CadillacSTS42005
07-24-08, 10:25 PM
remembering what the buttons do is the hardest part...

mrgoodbar67
07-25-08, 11:06 AM
Gotcha!!
Thx

CadillacSTS42005
07-26-08, 08:37 PM
wonder where rusty is...?

RustyBlazerDude
07-28-08, 02:22 PM
Hi All,
I'm still here. Just waiting for the beta testers to post their complete findings with pictures before going forward with production.

So far, things look good. Hyper seems to have his unit working but not yet finalized the install and CadillacSTS has had good luck with his car. He has promised more detail next week. Quantum was supposed to do the install this past weekend but I have not heard from him yet.

I appreciate all of your patience and interest, but I'm sure you guys can realize that if I go forward and there is a problem, I'll be stuck eating a lot of expense. (As it is I'm already in for a lot). I need to be sure that this thing will work in different scenarios (i.e. vehicles, phones etc.) You remember, I made this for my car only, and I am finding that there are some subtle differences between models and years. (CadillacSTS has and will continue to be be a big help here.)

Once I get green lights from the beta's, I'll push forward as fast as I can.

I promise that it will be worth the wait.

Regards,
-RBD

quantum
07-28-08, 02:50 PM
Hey RustyBlazerDude!

Sorry for the delay in putting your unit in. I JUST finished the CarPC install on Saturday afternoon, details and pics can be found here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/145951-2002-dts-carpc-installed-lots-pics.html

Since there were so many variables with the computer playing nicely with the car (remove the radio, install GMOS-06, etc.) I wanted to make sure that it worked before I added another piece to the mix.

The good news is the CarPC and GMOS-06 work perfectly together, and when I press the Onstar button, the sound mutes and the Onstar kicks in.

Now that I know that part works, I can put in the BlueStar and the HF850 and see what that does. Based on our chats, I am pretty sure it will do the same thing Onstar does, which would be SO cool!

So, yes it is a non-traditional install. If it works (confident it will!), you will be able to also add "it works with GMOS-06 and a non-factory head unit" to the marketing material. ;)

I will see about getting it in tonight or at the very latest before the weekend.

THX!!!

CadillacSTS42005
07-28-08, 09:43 PM
no prob
like i said ill help anyway that i can

va561
07-30-08, 09:40 PM
I thought you might be interested in this website. Do you think this phone would fit in my 2000 dts. It has an analog corded phone in the center console. http://www.bluecarphone.com/index.php

quantum
07-30-08, 10:16 PM
I thought you might be interested in this website. Do you think this phone would fit in my 2000 dts. It has an analog corded phone in the center console. http://www.bluecarphone.com/index.php

Will it fit? Yes...

Will it work with the phone you have in the car? No...

That is really just a fancy Bluetooth handsfree kit that links up with your Bluetooth cel phone.

I looked into it a while back. It is very neat, costs about $500.00 IIRC. Since it's just a BT handsfree unit, the kit that RustyBlazerDude has put together is much more "factory"

alarmonboard
07-31-08, 10:37 AM
Hi guys,

I just bought one of Cartel's blue carphone from Verizonwireless.com for $349 and i love it.
Here is the link to Verizon http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=accessoryMart&action=viewBluetoothAccessories&model=Capable%20Devices&make=Bluetooth@reg;

Hope this helps!!

mrgoodbar67
07-31-08, 11:24 AM
RBD's is definitely better.
factory/ stock appearance and intergrates smoothly with the onstar and vehicle.
No handset no huge hand set sticking out like a sore thumb....."1980's saved by the bell Zach Morris phone".
Plus who the hell in that company allowed a bad cut and paste job of a mercedes in the photo gallery?
the caller id display is nice though....a bit pricey for me.

thu
07-31-08, 12:05 PM
Plus who the hell in that company allowed a bad cut and paste job of a mercedes in the photo gallery?
LOL, that cut and paste job is really ghetto.

mrgoodbar67
07-31-08, 05:24 PM
...I just bought one of Cartel's blue carphone from Verizonwireless.com for $349 and i love it....

But it looks like it belongs in a 1980's car.
RBDS might be cheaper and look stock

va561
07-31-08, 05:44 PM
Hello Rusty Blazer Dude,
I have a 2000 DTS with an outdated built in analog phone. I would like to purchase a bluetooth conversion kit from you if possible.

Thanks

alarmonboard
08-01-08, 03:20 AM
But it looks like it belongs in a 1980's car.
RBDS might be cheaper and look stock
Thats the point!! You know what? its the most comfortable usefull bluetooth carkit out there, and everybody knows that today everything is about looks but this piece is made to use but still gives you that gangster look of the 80's.

mrgoodbar67
08-01-08, 01:34 PM
...still gives you that gangster look of the 80's.

:werd::yeah:
THE ONLY REASON I WOULD GET THAT KIT!
TO BE GANGSTA!!!!!!!!!!

AlBundy
08-02-08, 12:48 PM
Looks good to me.

thu
08-02-08, 07:59 PM
RBD,

Do you have future plans to allow the phone button on the steering wheel to work with the BlueStar? It would be nice to use the phone via the steering wheel phone button, too.

I searched for "steering" and "phone button" all through this 13-page thread and didn't see a mention of this. I read the manual that's on your website and didn't see mention of the phone button. So, I assume that the steering wheel phone button doesn't work on the current BlueStar.

Thx

RustyBlazerDude
08-02-08, 09:05 PM
Currently only the volume control on the steering wheel is supported.
I'll look into the phone control, but I'll have to get my hands on a car with this feature in order to make this upgrade. My 2001 has useless fan controls on the wheel.(Which btw drive me crazy because I always thought they should be swapped with the radio controls, but thats a topic for another thread.)

thu
08-03-08, 01:15 AM
My 2001 has useless fan controls on the wheel.(Which btw drive me crazy because I always thought they should be swapped with the radio controls, but thats a topic for another thread.)

That's what I think, too. It would be much more handy if the radio controls were on the left and the phone/temp controls on the right.

If you want me to beta test a BlueStar w/ steering wheel phone button control, I'd be happy to do that.

Thx

mrgoodbar67
08-03-08, 02:59 PM
im on board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDConcours
08-03-08, 04:54 PM
Hello I've been looking for something like this for a long time! I have a 97 De Ville Concours, in that year on star was integrated in to the optional cell phone, (which my car never had) however all Concours 97 and up are pre wired with microphone, controls are mounted on the steering wheel right hand side, connections for phone are in the console and I believe there are connections in the trunk, I upgraded my stereo to RDS CD Cass it has the cell phone on star and cd changer controls on screen, let me know if I'm on the rite track, I believe many 97 and newer Eldorado's and maybe 97 STS are similar, also I can post pics of these components in car if that would help. Also has anyone tried a 2000 or newer nav unit in a 97 before I know all 97 up Concours have the console with the rounded shaped radio it resembles the newer nav's but couldn't find one to try thanks!

oldeja
08-06-08, 05:50 PM
The phone on the wheel is a good question. Rusty, is that something that you may be able to add quickly? I want to order one now, but I would certainly wait to have the phone button work.

Also, do any of the beta testers have any pics of your installs? That would be cool to see????

mrgoodbar67
08-06-08, 06:09 PM
Well I Have The "face Talking" Button And "end" Button On My Left Steering Wheel Controls.
When I Press The "face Talking" Button It Expects Me To Give Voice Command Like....fm Radio1 Or Map Or Cd Changer, Etc...

I Think It Would Still Function That Way If The Bluetooth Mod Was Done.
Thet Never Worked With My Onstar....i Dont Think.

But I Woul Dlike To Know If It Does.

CadillacSTS42005
08-06-08, 07:55 PM
wont work
the commands for the nav are still controlled through the VCIM as i understand
the VCIM is unplugged for this mod

RustyBlazerDude
08-06-08, 07:58 PM
Hmmm. As I mentioned before, I don't have access to a car that has those buttons so I don't know when I will be able to figure out what I need to know in order to implement it.

MR. Goodbar has me a little worried about it though, since something is already using this button for speech commands. I assume that his vcim is using the onstar microphone to do some voice recognition to change the input source on the radio.

If a bluestar is installed (and therefore vcim removed) this feature might go away. The good news is that I'll have the button all to myself to do whatever I need.

I'm guessing that it acts the same as pressing the phone button on the mirror, in other words it initiates a call. Likewise it should probably answer a call as well. Is that correct? The "end" button is obvious, but does everyone who has the "talking mouth" button have the "end" button? Or did they combine the "talking mouth" with other features? I saw a link in another forum where people were remapping these buttons (since without a phone they are totally useless) to the temp/fan control buttons. Apparently there is a hack for that somehow. If I could do the opposite, maybe I could figure out the buttons using my car! Any help here appreciated.

Regardless, we might have to wait for rev 2 for that change, could be a while. As I mentioned, I don't have it so I really don't miss it, but I can't see reaching up to the mirror as that big an inconvenience. Unless you're making lots of calls, that is.

We're still waiting on pics from the beta testers. Quantum was tied up with the pc install and then realized he had a bad cable ( I had some trouble with the first batch of cables but have since gotten the correct crimping tools) so he just got his stuff together earlier this week and has promised to try and get to the install this weekend. The other guys have just been too busy to put anything together yet for us. I'm confident that both CadillacSTS2003 and Hyperboimmv will come through for us soon.

Another mod I was contemplating was using a moto IHF1000 instead of the HF850. I rejected it originally because it added cost and my phone has voice dialing built in, but maybe some people dont have that feature?

Any feedback on this would be helpful, too. Perhaps I could have my board interface to both units and offer a choice. But if nobody wants the ihf1000 i won't bother.

And lastly, I have received a few orders since going live atand want to thank those who placed them. I am working hard on getting them out asap.

thu
08-06-08, 09:00 PM
RBD,

I have the talking mouth button that's also the END button. When I hit the top part of this, I can give the NAV and Entertainment system voice commands (like "screen off", "FM1", "I'm Hungry", "Mark This Point").

It would be a bummer if this functionality went away with the installation of the BlueStar. Using the voice commands is the best way to turn off navigation if you have a destination activated. Otherwise, you have to navigate through a few menus to get to the "Cancel Route" soft key. Kinda hazardous when the car is moving.

I have the 2003 Seville Navigation/Audio manual in PDF format. If you don't have it, I can send it to you if you think it will help.

CadillacSTS2003, you have the BlueStar still installed, right? Can you still control you NAV and audio system via voice commands?

Thx

CadillacSTS42005
08-06-08, 09:04 PM
yup installed and is a truely awesome upgrade!
as for the nav command never tried to be honest
when i did my nav upgrade i had the 5 pin voice command however i never took it to the dealer to turn this feature on through the VCIM
i suppose when it goes in Monday morning i can askm while they have the tech 2 on her if they can turn it on and ill see if it works...

quantum
08-06-08, 11:01 PM
VERY VERY COOL!!!

Confirmed working on 2002 Deville DTS!!!

My setup is a little different than the 2001 it seems. There is only one unit to remove (it's got 2 part numbers), Part #25740426 on the side and Part#25720581 on the top. The factory cable is a different part number too, #12450885. The car phone and Onstar appear to be one unit (since there wasn't a separate phone module). Not 2 units like the pics at the beginning of this thread show. See my pics below, which may be true for 2002 and up...

I haven't searched yet, but this MAY be the digital Onstar upgraded version perhaps? It looked like it was replaced by some technician. When I dropped the trunk tray it was kind of just laying in the clips at an angle and had tape wrapped around it.

BONUS - I'm pretty sure now that was the rattle I heard behind the rear seat. Now that it's out, I'll know for sure tomorrow!

RBD's unit works like a charm, and does everything it says it will do! I have a Motorola Q and was able to voice dial, mute the mike, adjust the volume using the steering wheel controls, etc. The "End" steering wheel button doesn't do anything, the mirror buttons all work as they should.

BONUS #2 - It plays well with the GMOS-06:

Call comes in > Music mutes > Rings through speakers > pick up call with mirror button.

End call > Music fades back up to the same volume.

I do have a current general Class 2 code, (IPC U1000), and on the DIC when I cycle through the options it now says "Phone Not Present" vs. "Phone ON" when the factory unit was in. But it is totally no big deal and doesn't effect the car or unit in any way. It's one of those things that I know I did. :)

I spoke to RBD about it, and he's going to look into it to make it go away. My guess is that the car is searching for the missing factory phone module. I'm going to disconnect the battery this weekend and see what happens.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, he is also a GREAT guy, very helpful and knows his stuff.

http://quantumoptical.com/caddy/onstarunit1.jpg

http://quantumoptical.com/caddy/onstarunit2.jpg

oldeja
08-07-08, 09:32 AM
Nice Pics Quantum. Any more would be helpful as well. I have a 2003 dts, so I'm gussing the install will be pretty similar. You didn't mention if the phone button on the wheel works. You said the end button doesn't so I would guess it doesn't work either, but it would be interesting to know. Also, was there power local to the install area, or did you have to run a line from the fusebox?

Thanks for the info sharing.

quantum
08-07-08, 10:11 AM
Nice Pics Quantum. Any more would be helpful as well. I have a 2003 dts, so I'm gussing the install will be pretty similar. You didn't mention if the phone button on the wheel works. You said the end button doesn't so I would guess it doesn't work either, but it would be interesting to know. Also, was there power local to the install area, or did you have to run a line from the fusebox?

Not really much more to take pictures of :) The trunk tray looks the same as the ones in the beginning of this thread, and that's about it. I will snap a pic once I get the BlueStar wire-tied in.

I only have one button on the steering wheel for phone (End). It doesn't do anything for the phone with this hooked up, but like RBD said that allows me to tap it for something else, maybe something PC related!

No need to run a power line, the harness taps the 12V from the original connection.

CDConcours
08-09-08, 05:27 PM
Hello, I wanted to add that when my RDS radio was installed the dealer had to program my cars vin into the new radio using the cars computer and a special scanner (I don't know what thats called). I've uploaded the pictures of my car 97 DeVille Concours dash setup, phone controls on left side of wheel, RDS radio installed, and the in console connections for the old phone with Onstar ect.

RustyBlazerDude
08-09-08, 08:34 PM
Nice, But do you have the onstar buttons on your mirror?

CadillacSTS42005
08-09-08, 11:14 PM
no he wont
onstar buttons were on the phone for that gen system

hyperboimmv
08-10-08, 02:52 AM
Oye so it looks like I need to check in...

I am not sure what else to add for my install... A while ago I attached a PDF showing a small connector on the bose amp that needs to be accessed. It is on the very top of the amp if you are looking at the amp from the interior of the car (You will need to remove the rear seat bottom and back) and it is the smallest of the three connectors. You can get the audio +/- and data from this harness. Something I have ran into that is keeping me from completing my install is running wires under the carpet. I don't exactly want to / have the time to take what is needed out to lift the carpet and run my wires so that everything meets. I currently have a wire running from the ignition to my bluetooth module, and have tapped into that wire for the HyperStar board, and then I am using the CD Changer harness for power etc for the bluetooth module. Everything is currently stored in my center console. I am going to wait and see if I can find a better handsfree kit than the T605. I want to move all of the modules to the back, but the only problem I am having is that my mic wire isn't long enough. I am going to have to find a better mic that I can modify the harness on.

A few things to remember with the HyperStar:
The board does not actually control the hands free kit, nor does audio pass through it. It acts as a radio mute device only.
The radio does not control the volume of the call, so if your ringer is too loud, the audio will be distorted. If the call volume is too loud, the volume will be distorted. Use your phone to control the volume for both of these.
This module can be mounted anywhere you see fit, since it does not have a specific harness to hook into, you can run the single wire you need to interface with the car.

A few tips on install:
Make sure you have a battery charger. Even with the lights off and everything powered off, having the doors opened seemed to still cause my car to stay 'alert' so the battery eventually drained ( I suppose it didn't help that I worked off an on on this while looking up info etc)...
Removing the seat back is going to be tough. I am not sure what size socket you will need, as I didn't have one big enough. I used the tire iron... Make sure not to puncture your leather, so keep the edges covered with your hands at all times. The clips on the top of the back are going to be a pain. If I remember right, they are below the inner edges of the headrests. Find them with a plastic tool of some sort before poking around. Once you feel the metal, there is going to be a raised part and a lower part. You need to press down on the raised part to release the seat back.
You can run the wires along the amp harness and place the modules around in that area somewhere, there shouldn't be too much interference as long as you are away from the battery.
When putting it all back together, make sure to cover the seat back bolts with wd-40. They were a pain to get out, because the bottom portion is exposed on the underside of the body, but the wd-40 should take care of the rust and make it easier for them to go in.

A side note: For those picky people out there, while the seat back and bottom is out, you could get crumbs and what not out of the stitching and what not.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.. Hopefully I will be able to pay more attention to the board. Send me a PM if needed.

CadillacSTS42005
08-10-08, 11:16 AM
hyper
i didnt have to pull my rear seat back at all
i just pryed it back and was able to feel for the plug unplug it and plug the bluestar in
didnt even remove the onstar system

hyperboimmv
08-10-08, 09:04 PM
The hyperstar kit is more of a find the wire and splice it.. There isn't a specific harness you need like the BlueStar.

CadillacSTS42005
08-10-08, 09:55 PM
i was just posting my experience
:thumbsup:

CDConcours
08-10-08, 10:18 PM
My car does not have the buttons on the mirror it was on the phone for that generation.

RustyBlazerDude
08-11-08, 08:25 AM
My car does not have the buttons on the mirror it was on the phone for that generation.

In that case, you can use the HyperSTAR module to mute the radio (telephone icon will appear) and use a complete hands free car kit of your choice which has the button controls and microphone.

I have not mapped all the steering wheel controls to eliminate the keypad in your case. It might even be in your vehicle that they are not class 2 commands, but go directly to the onstar controller.

hyperboimmv
08-12-08, 11:06 AM
From what I was reading the Hands free steering wheel controls are a TechII programmed option. It asks if there is a car kit installed in the car or not, so I <i>assume</i> that means it makes the steering wheel controls become phone controls, but you never know...

mrgoodbar67
08-12-08, 11:47 AM
ok, when you guys say phone contols...are you guys talking about the "face talking" button and "end" button on the left of the steering wheel?

If not, what do the phone buttons look like?

CadillacSTS42005
08-12-08, 02:25 PM
yea
the wheel controls do not work with this kit

RustyBlazerDude
08-12-08, 08:44 PM
yea
the wheel controls do not work with this kit

Currently, only the volume control on the steering wheel is implemented.

I am looking into the "talking mouth" and "end" buttons for a future revision.

phathead785
08-21-08, 01:04 PM
So what pieces would I need to buy for my 2004 DTS?

quantum
08-24-08, 12:17 AM
So what pieces would I need to buy for my 2004 DTS?

You would need the Motorola HF850 BT kit (just the box really) and the new module that RBD just came out with, a 10mm socket and about 20 minutes.

john95632
08-31-08, 01:08 PM
Will this work on a 2000 DHS? and how $$$.

mrgoodbar67
09-01-08, 12:21 AM
bro..............check the website.
quickly though,
you need the old anallog onstar with the three buttons on the dash or rear view mirror.

mac1usa1
09-14-08, 08:18 PM
Quantum,
I have the same unit (25720581)(three plugs) and harness (12450885) as you.
Which product from CoSTAR did you use, the BlueSTAR or the BlueSTAR PNP?
Mac

iceberg5xx
09-15-08, 02:12 PM
Currently, only the volume control on the steering wheel is implemented.

I am looking into the "talking mouth" and "end" buttons for a future revision.

Rusty,

Do you have any time frame on the "talking mouth" button integration? Will the existing BlueStar unit be able to add that feature? OR will a swap out be required?

RustyBlazerDude
09-16-08, 01:10 AM
Rusty,

Do you have any time frame on the "talking mouth" button integration? Will the existing BlueStar unit be able to add that feature? OR will a swap out be required?

I can't get my hands on a car with this feature. Anybody in the Long Island area willing to lend their car for a few minutes????? The current version of the pcb is hard programmed, but the next release (which should support GM-LAN bus for newer vehicles) will be USB upgradeable.

Quantum,
I have the same unit (25720581)(three plugs) and harness (12450885) as you.
Which product from CoSTAR did you use, the BlueSTAR or the BlueSTAR PNP?
Mac

Quantum got the original BlueSTAR but that was because the PnP was not yet available.

And as a side note, the CTS guys got wind of this. Does anyone know when they switched over from class2 to GM LAN?

Thanks,
-RBD

phat cad
09-18-08, 03:40 AM
"Anybody in the Long Island area willing to lend their car for a few minutes?????"

I have a 2007 Escalade and am in Westchester. I could drive out to LI if this would help.

phat cad
09-19-08, 04:45 AM
RBD:

I got your PM but the forum won't send my response. Please call me at 917 dash 710 dash 0979 to make arrangements.

Jeff

jashev
09-20-08, 11:21 AM
If this will work on my '07 CTS I would replace my On-star in a heartbeat. On-star sucks! Is there anyway to set this up for my car?

RustyBlazerDude
09-20-08, 05:43 PM
If this will work on my '07 CTS I would replace my On-star in a heartbeat. On-star sucks! Is there anyway to set this up for my car?

Sorry,
Current version works in 2003-2006 CTS's only. I'm working on a GMLAN verison for the newer vehicles.

And a big thanks to Phat Cat for letting me scan his vehicle for the talking mouth codes. Unfortunately, his 2007 Escalade is also GMLAN and therefore no progress was made. Still looking for a donor vehicle on Long Island...

jashev
09-20-08, 06:57 PM
Will my 07 CTS due? I am in South Jersey but would have no problem coming up to LI as long as I can drive it back home.

RustyBlazerDude
09-20-08, 09:06 PM
Will my 07 CTS due? I am in South Jersey but would have no problem coming up to LI as long as I can drive it back home.

Thanks, but the '07 CTS is GMLAN based. No good. Needs to be class 2.
See the attachment.
The scan is harmless. I just need to tap the obdII connector and run a scan on the streaming data. Should take less than 5 minutes.

hyperboimmv
09-21-08, 12:10 AM
And as far as I know this module should work on any gm car with analog onstar. If this is your board, I'd patent it and post on every gm forum. You'd make a mint.

Heh I think I was right... I should be a fortune teller :-D.

Agarwal
09-26-08, 05:46 PM
I was very excited with this kit, until I discovered that the Motorola HF850 doesn't seem to support A2DP (for playing music with good quality from the phone to the car's speakers). Is it possible to get the kit working with a different bluetooth unit and if not, is such a thing planned? Thanks a lot.

hyperboimmv
09-26-08, 07:50 PM
I think if Rusty Did this, he'd have to some how program his board to .. imitate the cd changer. The only way I see this working is if he makes his board pretend to be the cd changer, hook up to the cd changer port on the E&C bus and let the Left and Right audio pass through to the headunit. You would still have to find another source for the telephone audio to go though *either the onstar interface or the telephone interface on the bose amp*.

Agarwal
09-27-08, 01:10 AM
I see what you mean.
I guess I could always add yet another bluetooth unit (like the Scosche BlueLife; I installed one of those in another car) hooked to the same place where you guys connect the iPod kit... I'm wondering how good my phone would handle having the "headset" functionality routed to one device while having the "headphones/a2dp" routed to another, though.

Well, I guess I'll have to find out ;) Unless someone has a better idea... ?

hyperboimmv
09-27-08, 01:34 AM
I'm wondering how good my phone would handle having the "headset" functionality routed to one device while having the "headphones/a2dp" routed to another, though.

Actually the device should be able to handle that just fine.

RustyBlazerDude
09-27-08, 01:04 PM
You know, I haven't tried it, but I think the BlueSTAR might work with the Motorola IHF1000 unit. That has A2DP, and alot of other features as well. It is however, a more expensive solution.

Agarwal
09-29-08, 11:07 AM
Would the BlueSTAR (are talking about the BlueSTAR PnP?) automatically mute the radio/changer when the IHF1000 plays music streamed from a2dp?

Edit: hmm, after reading some specs and review, I'm not so sure that the IHF1000 supports a2dp... are you 100% positive it does?

RustyBlazerDude
09-29-08, 07:48 PM
Would the BlueSTAR (are talking about the BlueSTAR PnP?) automatically mute the radio/changer when the IHF1000 plays music streamed from a2dp?

Edit: hmm, after reading some specs and review, I'm not so sure that the IHF1000 supports a2dp... are you 100% positive it does?

I think your right about the IHF1000, but the T605 definitely supports it. I just got one for testing so I'm working on the interface for that now. It's relatively cheap and more available than the HF850.

It also supports streaming bluetooth audio, as well as hardwired audio in. (Bluetooth takes priority).

In audio streaming mode, you want to go into the aux inputs of the radio (if available) and switch it that way since the onstar interface (and therefore blueSTAR interface) is only a mono connection.

Agarwal
09-29-08, 11:18 PM
Agreed on all you said ;)

So uh... where can I order a kit made for the T605? He he he. Seriously tough, please keep us updated on the progress and any guesstimated ETA you might have. Looking forward to buy a kit! Thanks.

buzzweiser
10-02-08, 10:37 PM
can the t605 pair with apple's iphone? I too would like to wait for the T605 if it can pair with the iphone. By the way, thanks for all you have done. I've been looking for a solution for a while and just found your forum.

Agarwal
10-10-08, 10:37 PM
I just received the T605, I'll probably be installing it (temporarly, ŗ la iPod kit) this week-end.

mac1usa1
10-11-08, 11:37 AM
Just some feedback on my BlueStar PNP install.
Received the unit in less than one week.
Mounted with double stick tape where onstar was.
Paired to phone fairly easily.
Quality of calls is exceptional.

MaesMV6
10-12-08, 01:41 AM
this is something im actually really interested in, i have the old analog system in my car. send me a pm with info please

01 catera

ocgltd
11-03-08, 06:30 PM
I have a question for those people who have installed the BlueStar: The BlueStar comes with (optional) harness to plugin to GM connector - which for my 01 STS is behind the back seat. But how about connection to the HF850?

1. Does the BlueStar come with connectors to connect directly to the HF850? (and how long are the cables)
2. Do I need to supply power to the HF850 by splicing into nearby power - or does the BlueStar feed it power?
3. Does the BlueStar repond to RAP requests to power on/off and does it power down the HF850 too? (assuming it supplies power to HF850)

RustyBlazerDude
11-03-08, 07:23 PM
I have a question for those people who have installed the BlueStar: The BlueStar comes with (optional) harness to plugin to GM connector - which for my 01 STS is behind the back seat. But how about connection to the HF850?

1. Does the BlueStar come with connectors to connect directly to the HF850? (and how long are the cables)
2. Do I need to supply power to the HF850 by splicing into nearby power - or does the BlueStar feed it power?
3. Does the BlueStar repond to RAP requests to power on/off and does it power down the HF850 too? (assuming it supplies power to HF850)

I can help you out here.
1. The BlueSTAR has connector pins on it which plug directly into the HF850 junction box. There are no wires or harnesses required.
2. All connectivity to the BlueSTAR and HF850 is through the harness connector. (GM Lever Lock) No need to splice or run anything.
3. The BlueSTAR monitors class2 data traffic and when it sees that the car has "shutdown" for two minutes, it powers down the accessory voltage to the HF850. It will then wake up when it sees class2 data activity.

Here's a picture of the BlueSTAR / HF850 connection.

ocgltd
11-03-08, 07:30 PM
Ahh - now I get it, the HF850 case plugs directly into the circuit board! Could make mounting this a challenge...but I'll wait and see.

The term leverlock is new to me....My 01 STS has 3 devices in the rear (to be removed): Analog cell, VCU, and VIU. A total of 3 connectors will be available once these units are removed. Is one of these connectors the "leverlock" one?

RustyBlazerDude
11-03-08, 07:46 PM
The other end of the three headed monster to which you refer, is the lever lock.
On your onstar, there is a blue and red connector, and the cell unit has the DB25. These all go into a harness that terminates with the lever lock. When you install the BlueSTAR, you can remove the onstar box VIU and the cell unit AND the three headed monster harness and tie into the lever lock.

this is an old pic, but it shows the Harness, BlueSTAR and HF850.

You can mount it with either tie wraps or double sided tape works well too. Once the old dead weight onstar is removed, you'll have plenty of room.

The 'Lever Lock' name is Delco connector series, and it gets its name (obviously) from the fact that the big lever locks the connectors in place. (You need to squeeze the sides in to open the lever, btw.)

thu
11-12-08, 02:55 AM
I've been away from this thread for a while and now I'm trying to catch up. Reading back a few screens' worth of postings, I didn't see if the problem of the 'end' key on the steering wheel being INOP after BlueSTAR installation has been solved. Has it?

Thanks.

carguyshu
12-10-08, 11:51 PM
I have a 00 STS that DID NOT come with onstar originally.

1) If I purchase the mirror that has the onstar buttons on it, will the Bluestar plug-n-play work? Would I need any other additional wiring, harness or other thing? I assume that pretty much everything is there (the microphone, wiring, etc.) and that the onstar option came with the different mirror and onstar box with antenna.

2) If this would work under the scenario of me just having to buy a mirror from an onstar car off ebay or junkyard, if I did the conversion to a DVD nav using Cadillacsts2003's harness, would it also work?

I have not seen either of these 2 topics covered yet....

ocgltd
12-11-08, 03:10 PM
I would guess that the onstar wiring/harness is already present (standard) on all the caddies...but pull your back seat back to have a look. If you see the big 40 pin locking connector you are probably ready to roll..

As for DVD...I'm not sure but I would guess yes. The costartech device appears like a regular onstar VIU/VCU to the rest of the car. It's probably worth asking the costartech guys about that one.

docjust
12-17-08, 06:48 PM
RBD,

I have a 2006 CTS. Is it the BlueStar that I need? I'll do what it takes to get this done, it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for.

chazglenn3
12-25-08, 11:48 AM
Are these available for sale, Rusty? If so, let me know where to send the money!

bonemaster
12-25-08, 10:37 PM
I have an '02 DTS and am looking for this exact thing.

I sat here and read almost the entire thread and am very interested in getting one of these in my car. I've got the onstar buttons on the mirror and the mouth/end button on the steering wheel.

What do I have to do to get one of these?

Please e-mail - [email removed by admin - not a good idea to post your email address on a forum.]

I am new to this forum and joined today to read this interesting thread.

Thanks,
Tony

mrgoodbar67
12-26-08, 01:32 AM
Did you read the entire thread?
Probably not.....Go to www.costartech.com

bonemaster
12-26-08, 11:32 AM
You're right I didn't read the entire thread, I skipped pages 11 through 18. I'm a little slow,
I searched the entire website you gave me and found no information or products as discussed in this thread. Is there any more information anyone else can give me?

RustyBlazerDude
01-06-09, 09:58 PM
You're right I didn't read the entire thread, I skipped pages 11 through 18. I'm a little slow,
I searched the entire website you gave me and found no information or products as discussed in this thread. Is there any more information anyone else can give me?

No worries, Master of the bone, it's a long thread. I sent you PM with contact info if you have any questions.

You must have searched the wrong website since all info is posted under the products tab. Try again. www.costartech.com

2dfx
01-08-09, 07:31 PM
I have a 2003 base DeVille w/analog onstar, I am DEFINATELY ordering one of these modules! Fantastic invention, RBD my kudos for developing a device to modernize our cars! Just finished reading the entire thread and I have one question - for the dialpad on the dvd nav deck, is there not a way to integrate that in? With the onstar module, presumably all the unit does is sends the digits over class2 to the onstar module and places the call...can the same not be done in terms of translating that info from class2 over bluetooth to the phone?

RustyBlazerDude
01-09-09, 10:06 AM
I have a 2003 base DeVille w/analog onstar, I am DEFINATELY ordering one of these modules! Fantastic invention, RBD my kudos for developing a device to modernize our cars! Just finished reading the entire thread and I have one question - for the dialpad on the dvd nav deck, is there not a way to integrate that in? With the onstar module, presumably all the unit does is sends the digits over class2 to the onstar module and places the call...can the same not be done in terms of translating that info from class2 over bluetooth to the phone?

You are correct in that the nav data is transmitted to the onstar via class 2 data, but even if we could figure that out, I would not be able to get the numbers into the hf850 and back to the cell phone to dial.

ocgltd
01-09-09, 10:08 AM
Hey there's and idea!! CoStarTech - how about mfg replacement buttons? :)

I agree - I sometimes press the wrong one...but I'm learning

thu
01-11-09, 01:40 AM
Rusty,

Did you solve the problem regarding the "End" key on the steering wheel? Earlier in this thread we were discussing if the addition of your module would deactivate the voice recognition for the NAV and entertainment systems.

thu
01-14-09, 09:44 PM
*bump*

02Lackey
01-15-09, 11:04 AM
I bought the BlueStar PnP for my '02 STS and it works. But, the LED backlight for the mirror buttons won't turn off. Any ideas? I sent an email to costar tech support but haven't received an answer yet. I want to fix this ASAP.

02Lackey
01-15-09, 11:52 AM
I installed the BlueStar PnP on my car and it works but my mirror button backlight stays on constantly. I ohmed out the module and there was no short. The backlight stayed on all night. Luckily hasn't drained my battery. Anybody have any ideas?

RustyBlazerDude
01-15-09, 08:10 PM
Rusty,

Did you solve the problem regarding the "End" key on the steering wheel? Earlier in this thread we were discussing if the addition of your module would deactivate the voice recognition for the NAV and entertainment systems.

Found a guy on Trailvoy forum that helped with the additional steering wheel commands, but he only had the talking mouth, no end button.

My post for help in the regional section went unanswered.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northeast/157755-long-island-area-help-needed.html

Sorry for the delayed response, been out of town for a while.

chazglenn3
01-15-09, 11:14 PM
I installed the BlueStar PnP on my car and it works but my mirror button backlight stays on constantly. I ohmed out the module and there was no short. The backlight stayed on all night. Luckily hasn't drained my battery. Anybody have any ideas?

I thought my BlueSTAR was doing the same thing. It turned out that the module stays on for a few minutes after the last door is closed, and turns on as soon as the car wakes up (remote unlock or door open). I thought the light was staying on all the time, but it actually just takes a while to go off and instantly lights up when you get ready to get in the car. Go out and look through the window without pressing any buttons on the remote or the door handle after the car has sat for a while. You will probably notice the light is off.

thu
01-16-09, 04:04 AM
I thought the light was staying on all the time, but it actually just takes a while to go off and instantly lights up when you get ready to get in the car. Go out and look through the window without pressing any buttons on the remote or the door handle after the car has sat for a while. You will probably notice the light is off.

This might be the car's Battery Guard is turning off the power to everything in the car. You'll also notice it if you leave the interior lights on or leave the trunk open. After about 10 minutes, the car will turn all electricity in the car off in order to save the battery.

02Lackey
01-19-09, 10:57 AM
I've done all those things. I approached it without unlocking it and the lights were on. I sat in the car with it locked and with nothing on and key out of the ignition (boring as heck too) with no change. It is alright though CoStar responded and said the first couple of PnP units they made had this defect and that they would gladly replace. These guys are great customer service reps.

chazglenn3
01-20-09, 09:54 AM
Agreed. They have great customer service. I had a low volume issue, and it was repaired quickly. Now, I have a new problem. I recently bought an iPhone and sadly the iPhone doesn't appear to be compatible with the Motorola HF850 that the BlueSTAR uses. Anyone here using the iPhone with their BlueSTAR?

xPosTech
01-22-09, 11:27 PM
Agreed. They have great customer service. I had a low volume issue, and it was repaired quickly. Now, I have a new problem. I recently bought an iPhone and sadly the iPhone doesn't appear to be compatible with the Motorola HF850 that the BlueSTAR uses. Anyone here using the iPhone with their BlueSTAR?

No but . . . how much do you want for the BlueSTAR? :rolleyes:

Seriously. Not just :stirpot:.

Ted

crusher
01-26-09, 11:08 AM
I recently bought two PNP units for a 2003 and 2005 Escalade. Products work perfectly as advertised. Also, I contacted Chris about a problem that I created during installation and all I can say is the custom service and Chris are the best. Love the product and love the company....

chazglenn3
01-28-09, 01:40 PM
No but . . . how much do you want for the BlueSTAR? :rolleyes:

Seriously. Not just :stirpot:.

Ted

Well, I'm trying to adjust to the connection delay on incoming calls. Chris offered to refund my purchase, but if I can get my usual callers to get used to waiting about 10 seconds before we can talk when they call me, I may manage.

mtflight
02-02-09, 04:47 PM

Hmm wondering if you have the latest Firmware for the iPhone? It should pair no differently than any other bluetooth accessory, one would think. I have a 3G and have a Scosche bluetooth receiver (audio/phone) in my car (not a car kit, but rather has audio out), as well as a motorola ear receiver.

chazglenn3
02-03-09, 03:22 PM
Yes, I had version 2.2 firmware when I posted the above, and have since upgraded to version 2.2.1 hoping it would help, but no change. Apple has taken a stand that they don't need to address the issue because Motorola has discontinued the HF850.

thu
02-09-09, 02:30 AM
RustyBlazerDude,

Just a note if you ever find an STS with the BOSE/NAV with voice recognition and the TALK/END button on the steering wheel:

If you push the TALK/END button up, the car's voice recognition system waits for a voice command. If you HOLD that button UP, the car's cell phone waits for a voice command.

In other words, that button controls both the NAV/BOSE and the CarPhone's voice recognition systems. Push momentarily up and you get the NAV/BOSE voice recognition mode. Push and HOLD up and you get the Cell phone voice recognition mode.

Hitting END (pushing TALK/END down) terminates either/both NAV/BOSE and CellPhone voice recognition mode, whatever mode you're in.

Hope that helps.

If you're ever in my area, give me a holler and you can hook up your CAN2 Bus sniffer to my car. I think you're on the other side of the country, so this is prolly unlikely.

RustyBlazerDude
02-09-09, 09:51 PM
RustyBlazerDude,

Just a note if you ever find an STS with the BOSE/NAV with voice recognition and the TALK/END button on the steering wheel:

If you push the TALK/END button up, the car's voice recognition system waits for a voice command. If you HOLD that button UP, the car's cell phone waits for a voice command.

In other words, that button controls both the NAV/BOSE and the CarPhone's voice recognition systems. Push momentarily up and you get the NAV/BOSE voice recognition mode. Push and HOLD up and you get the Cell phone voice recognition mode.

Hitting END (pushing TALK/END down) terminates either/both NAV/BOSE and CellPhone voice recognition mode, whatever mode you're in.

Hope that helps.

If you're ever in my area, give me a holler and you can hook up your CAN2 Bus sniffer to my car. I think you're on the other side of the country, so this is prolly unlikely.

Hi Thu,
Thanks for the offer and info. I've been alerted that some of the voice commands that work the nav go through the onstar vcim. Obviously, if that gets removed, this function will no longer work. I'm working to see how we can get around this and keep this feature as well as use it for the phone as described. First, though, I need to get the GMLAN version working.

What first started as a simple mod to my vehicle is now getting out of control! :hide: But too late to stop now.

dwight.j.carter
02-11-09, 07:35 PM
I want one how much ?

chazglenn3
02-12-09, 01:44 AM
http://www.costartech.com/

Cadfleetwood
02-12-09, 10:04 PM
hey i would love too get one of those if possible i have an 04 deville. I am really interested in hearing more about this product.

RustyBlazerDude
02-12-09, 10:16 PM
hey i would love too get one of those if possible i have an 04 deville. I am really interested in hearing more about this product.

You need to hear more? 212 posts and a website loaded with info is not enough for you?????
:eek: :confused: :stirpot:

chazglenn3
02-13-09, 06:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Chris! :preach:

Renew82
02-13-09, 09:36 PM
Would like some info. On my 03 STS with the factory Nav system, if a bluestar is installed, I will lose the voice command feature of the nav system. Will I also loose the Verbal Route Guidance feature of the Nav system too?

Thanks.

RustyBlazerDude
02-13-09, 09:57 PM
Would like some info. On my 03 STS with the factory Nav system, if a bluestar is installed, I will lose the voice command feature of the nav system. Will I also loose the Verbal Route Guidance feature of the Nav system too?

Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the NAV commands are processed by the onstar VCIM. If that's the case, you would lose this because the onstar VCIM needs to be removed to install the BlueSTAR. I don't have NAV so I don't know for sure. A quick test is to disconnect the onstar VCIM and try the nav functions. If you lose functionality, I might have to rethink keeping the VCIM connected somehow.

isakhanyan
02-22-09, 01:34 AM
I have a 05 cts-v do you guys know where i connect the costar device?
Thanks

RustyBlazerDude
02-23-09, 07:45 PM
I have a 05 cts-v do you guys know where i connect the costar device?
Thanks

Here's a nice step by step on removing onstar in CTS.
Once removed, simply plug the BlueSTAR in its place.

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/onstardisable/index.html

mfiszlew
03-11-09, 04:08 PM
RustyBlazerDude--

This is an awesome idea! I've been looking for something like this forever!!

I have a 2001 Cadillac Catera. Are you still looking for beta testers? [email removed by admin] - do not post your email address on forums. The bots can easily figure out what you did and send you unlimited amounts of spam.

chazglenn3
03-12-09, 10:59 PM
These have been selling on the costartech website for a while now, so I doubt that any beta testing is happening. Pony up the $249...it's well worth it!

sjc313epd
03-14-09, 05:14 AM
I went to the Costar.com web site, and I'm still a little confused about what systen will work with my 2000 Eldorado.
Will I need an extra harness?
Also......I couln't get an email link....does anyone have a phone number to this company?
Thank you......Sal

chazglenn3
03-16-09, 01:48 PM
You'll need the Class 2 kit and the GM lever lock cable.

RustyBlazerDude
03-16-09, 02:28 PM
Hey, can you remove the email addresses rom the above post? I don't want spam! Just link to contacts page.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

chazglenn3
03-21-09, 12:26 PM
Looks like I need moderator help to remove the e-mail addresses, Chris. The "edit" button is gone. I'll send a PM to Ranger to remove them for me...sorry!

greeman
03-27-09, 08:10 PM
I have an 08 DTS and am definitely interested in the new kit (I sent an email to your sales dept through your site). My OnStar subscription runs out in April (thank goodness) and I was looking for a way to have bluetooth without mounting something ugly! I agree with some of the others here, if you market this thing right you should make a mint. Bluetooth is OK, but Onstar I don't like. I'll bet some of the dealerships might even be interested. I know the one I bought my car from will install Parrot Bluetooth in the car for me, but I didn't really want that. I think your kit will be MUCH better. Looking forward to trying this thing out.

greeman
03-31-09, 08:53 AM
I am now looking for the VCIM in my 08 DTS. Has anyone found it? I heard it is behind the seat, but that still covers a lot of territory. I looked around some and found the amplifier there. Does anyone know how to remove the trunk lining? Do those black buttons that hold it on just snap out?..... and if so do the snap back in OK. I plan on finding it this week and ordering Bluestar.

hesaves0211
04-03-09, 08:55 AM
if I install the gmx322 I can pretty much do the same correct?

cnty
04-05-09, 12:42 AM
First, I wanted to give some detailed information, so hope the post isnít too long. I donít often post to forums, but since the product was so great I felt I should. I know many of us 2008 CTS owners, actually my wife owns, have been craving a really good Bluetooth option/solution. I think Costar has one.

I got one of these modules about two weeks back and just finished installing it in my wifeís 2008 CTS. It was a pain getting to the VCIM. The module went in easy, after getting to the VCIM. The VCIM for the 2008 is located on the rear deck, so you have to remove the plastic piece that covers it and the speakers. Iíll be honest, for me, removing the rear deck was not fun and I was worried about breaking something. I started by removing the rear seat bottom, more than one time, but each time going a little further. I had to pull up on the corners, back corners that fit under the seat back and it pops out. Then I had to remove the seat back. 4 nuts, that are hidden behind the seat bottom and 4 nuts that protrude into the trunk. My wife has the pass through rear seat, FYI. Then I removed two push in plastic clips that are behind the rear seat back and hold the plastic deck lid cover down. I also loosened\half removed the drivers, rear side, sail panel, thinks thatís what the window tint guys were calling it on-line. Then I had to kind of bend the plastic deck lid cover up, very scary, didnít want to crease it. I was able to get a deep well socket back there and take the one nut off that holds the Onstar module in and it came out. I was worried that the blue tooth module wouldnít fit in the space back there, under the deck cover, but it seems to be fine. I put everything back and feel her car looks as good as it did.

I tested out the range, and fill comfortable that it will pair with a device in the front area of the car, was kind of a worried. I didnít start to lose connectivity until about maybe 15 feet from the module. My wife has a blackberry and it seemed to work well with it. I was able to use the steering wheel controls to place a call, her phone supports voice commands. I was also able to use the rear view mirror buttons. In addition, I was able to scroll to a name on the phone and just use that method. When I powered on the car it did auto connect to the phone. Only thing that I noticed at this point was the touch screen navigation, hang-up button/widget, doesnít hang-up the phone. It does hang-up using the steering wheel, button on the rear-view mirror, or just by the phone. I am realistic though and this is easily acceptable. Instead of saying Onstar on the Navigation screen it says Bluestar or Costar, now canít remember. I know many people might ask if it shows the number dialed on the DIC, think thatís what you all call it, and the answer is no. I never found this to be that great anyway, because of location and readout color, so doesnít bother me.

I tested by myself for about 15 minutes with no issues. I will report back if we have any. One thing for sure, if my wife likes it then it must be good, so we will see.

I did contact Chris at Costar and he always replied promptly. He didnít have any information on the 2008 CTS, except that it should be a 29 bit version, and he was correct. I did send him an email saying he should be able to add the 2008 CTS to his list of vehicles it works in. 2008 pre Onstar Generation 8 owners, I think we have a winner. Good luck and happy bluetoothing.

Rob M.

RustyBlazerDude
04-06-09, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the write up CNTY. :thumbsup:

big.eds
04-06-09, 04:12 PM
Chris (RustyBlazerDude),
im am seriously interested in this unit to interface with my 2005 escalade and Iphone 3G. i currently dont subscribe to On* but its fun to push that steering wheel button and listen to someone talk to me and /say cancel and it tells me goodbye....id really like to advance my communications IN-RIDE to full blow bluetooth calls. I have prolly been reading scosche and their bluefusion product BUT after reading the rest of your site, im 99% a go for your product but my questions still remain:

1) is that hiss people were talking bout equipment failure on the production and rampant OR install error and reseating necessary?
2) will that steering wheel button work to place or answer calls?
3) do the calls RING through the stereo system?
4) iPhone compatibility, i read somewhere where you did test iPhones (trailvoy forums) but here Charles had problems.
5) do you have installation instructions for an escalade (On* location?)

im interested if its functionally compatible no doubt!

Toronto Owner
04-06-09, 05:24 PM
First, I wanted to give some detailed information, so hope the post isnít too long. I donít often post to forums, but since the product was so great I felt I should. I know many of us 2008 CTS owners, actually my wife owns, have been craving a really good Bluetooth option/solution. I think Costar has one.

I got one of these modules about two weeks back and just finished installing it in my wifeís 2008 CTS. It was a pain getting to the VCIM. The module went in easy, after getting to the VCIM. The VCIM for the 2008 is located on the rear deck, so you have to remove the plastic piece that covers it and the speakers. Iíll be honest, for me, removing the rear deck was not fun and I was worried about breaking something. I started by removing the rear seat bottom, more than one time, but each time going a little further. I had to pull up on the corners, back corners that fit under the seat back and it pops out. Then I had to remove the seat back. 4 nuts, that are hidden behind the seat bottom and 4 nuts that protrude into the trunk. My wife has the pass through rear seat, FYI. Then I removed two push in plastic clips that are behind the rear seat back and hold the plastic deck lid cover down. I also loosenedhalf removed the drivers, rear side, sail panel, thinks thatís what the window tint guys were calling it on-line. Then I had to kind of bend the plastic deck lid cover up, very scary, didnít want to crease it. I was able to get a deep well socket back there and take the one nut off that holds the Onstar module in and it came out. I was worried that the blue tooth module wouldnít fit in the space back there, under the deck cover, but it seems to be fine. I put everything back and feel her car looks as good as it did.

I tested out the range, and fill comfortable that it will pair with a device in the front area of the car, was kind of a worried. I didnít start to lose connectivity until about maybe 15 feet from the module. My wife has a blackberry and it seemed to work well with it. I was able to use the steering wheel controls to place a call, her phone supports voice commands. I was also able to use the rear view mirror buttons. In addition, I was able to scroll to a name on the phone and just use that method. When I powered on the car it did auto connect to the phone. Only thing that I noticed at this point was the touch screen navigation, hang-up button/widget, doesnít hang-up the phone. It does hang-up using the steering wheel, button on the rear-view mirror, or just by the phone. I am realistic though and this is easily acceptable. Instead of saying Onstar on the Navigation screen it says Bluestar or Costar, now canít remember. I know many people might ask if it shows the number dialed on the DIC, think thatís what you all call it, and the answer is no. I never found this to be that great anyway, because of location and readout color, so doesnít bother me.

I tested by myself for about 15 minutes with no issues. I will report back if we have any. One thing for sure, if my wife likes it then it must be good, so we will see.

I did contact Chris at Costar and he always replied promptly. He didnít have any information on the 2008 CTS, except that it should be a 29 bit version, and he was correct. I did send him an email saying he should be able to add the 2008 CTS to his list of vehicles it works in. 2008 pre Onstar Generation 8 owners, I think we have a winner. Good luck and happy bluetoothing.

Rob M.

Rob sounds fabulous I've been wating for this type of result - happy to read your success!:worship:

lavaman
04-06-09, 10:49 PM
CNTY,

Thank you for posting! It was very helpful in locating the VCIM. I wish I had read your post prior to installing my BlueStar module. I had the glove box out, the center console apart, the front dash panel off and the trunk liner pieces out. While all of that was un-necessary at least I now know that all the screws I removed are securley reinstalled.

I received the BlueStar this afternoon and once I knew where to find the Onstar module it took me about 45 minutes to install it.

I have a few items of installation advice to add. Hopefully this will help others that will be installing this excellent device.

BTW, For the 08 CTS the VCIM module is located on the drivers side of the rear deck, it is the only aluminum encased module on the rear deck. All the other modules are black plastic. There are 3 electrical connectors (2 white and 1 black) along with what seemed to be 2 antenna connections. Only the 2 white connectors are used with the BlueStar unit. The others are left unplugged.

To perform my install I removed the rear deck cover completly. I followed your instructions up until I had the module loose. Then I found it necessary to expose the entire area. The lone bolt that holds the onstar module in place comes up from the bottom of a plastic tray. With the cover removed I was able to lift up the tray and remove the bolt that would have otherwise rattled around. To remove the cover it was necessary to first remove both side panels. To do this, start by popping out the rectangular piece that says "Air Bag" then remove the screw underneath it (7mm socket). Then pull the panel loose. There is teathered clip that must be slid off of the panel to get the panel out of the way. Slide it down the seat belt and set aside. Once the side panels are off the deck cover can be removed. While I had the cover off (To help insure a quiet ride) I rattled every wire, speaker and module and secured things with wire ties and foam filler pieces.

I secured The BlueStar/Motorolla module with 3m reclosable fasteners and stuck it down where the VCIM used to be.

I then tried the system. It worked just as Rob described so I put the car back together. I am pleased with it so far and I think it performs just as it is advertised. I'll give it a couple days and post again.

Doug

big.eds
04-08-09, 07:16 AM
Now, I have a new problem. I recently bought an iPhone and sadly the iPhone doesn't appear to be compatible with the Motorola HF850 that the BlueSTAR uses. Anyone here using the iPhone with their BlueSTAR?

can you share what kinda problems youre having
im undersatnding the delays can be longer than wanted...what bout outgoing...are they 100% working?
any insight as im highly interested in trying this out

big.eds
04-08-09, 07:17 AM
I recently bought two PNP units for a 2003 and 2005 Escalade. Products work perfectly as advertised. Also, I contacted Chris about a problem that I created during installation and all I can say is the custom service and Chris are the best. Love the product and love the company....

im thinking of installing this into an 2005 escalade...what "problems" did you create and how was it solved?

cnty
04-08-09, 08:10 PM
So far no real problems. My wife did comment on a few seconds delay when calling people, but that is about it.

-Rob

cnty
04-08-09, 08:14 PM
CNTY,

Thank you for posting! It was very helpful in locating the VCIM. I wish I had read your post prior to installing my BlueStar module. I had the glove box out, the center console apart, the front dash panel off and the trunk liner pieces out. While all of that was un-necessary at least I now know that all the screws I removed are securley reinstalled.

I received the BlueStar this afternoon and once I knew where to find the Onstar module it took me about 45 minutes to install it.

I have a few items of installation advice to add. Hopefully this will help others that will be installing this excellent device.

BTW, For the 08 CTS the VCIM module is located on the drivers side of the rear deck, it is the only aluminum encased module on the rear deck. All the other modules are black plastic. There are 3 electrical connectors (2 white and 1 black) along with what seemed to be 2 antenna connections. Only the 2 white connectors are used with the BlueStar unit. The others are left unplugged.

To perform my install I removed the rear deck cover completly. I followed your instructions up until I had the module loose. Then I found it necessary to expose the entire area. The lone bolt that holds the onstar module in place comes up from the bottom of a plastic tray. With the cover removed I was able to lift up the tray and remove the bolt that would have otherwise rattled around. To remove the cover it was necessary to first remove both side panels. To do this, start by popping out the rectangular piece that says "Air Bag" then remove the screw underneath it (7mm socket). Then pull the panel loose. There is teathered clip that must be slid off of the panel to get the panel out of the way. Slide it down the seat belt and set aside. Once the side panels are off the deck cover can be removed. While I had the cover off (To help insure a quiet ride) I rattled every wire, speaker and module and secured things with wire ties and foam filler pieces.

I secured The BlueStar/Motorolla module with 3m reclosable fasteners and stuck it down where the VCIM used to be.

I then tried the system. It worked just as Rob described so I put the car back together. I am pleased with it so far and I think it performs just as it is advertised. I'll give it a couple days and post again.

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for letting me know about the the rectangular airbag piece removal. I got scared away from this because I was reading some window tint installer forums and they all said, "just dont remove the airbag cover" Now I know that it would make things easier if I ever had to put the onstar module back in to trade the car in, or something along that line.

-Rob

chazglenn3
04-11-09, 10:17 PM
can you share what kinda problems youre having
im undersatnding the delays can be longer than wanted...what bout outgoing...are they 100% working?
any insight as im highly interested in trying this out

It works fine on outgoing calls, but takes about 10 secs to connect on incoming calls. I think I have finally got all of the people that usually call me trained to wait a bit if they don't hear me right away.

TMW597
04-12-09, 11:27 AM
We've got to get some video of this device in action posted up on YouTube or somewhere. Seeing this in action will really help folks get an idea of how it works. It answers and settled a lot of questions. It will be nice to see what the display shows with incoming and outgoing calls. I know that's what sold me on the GMLockPick products. (Mine actually work!)

evil0ne
04-14-09, 12:28 AM
Any 29bit Escalade Owners try this yet?

amgqmp1
04-17-09, 11:19 AM
What would I need to order for a 2005 STS V8 with the base radio package? (i.e. no navi) I believe from your site that I'd be good with the BlueSTAR kit, but, I wanted to confirm with you first before ordering. Also, any ideas where the OnStar VIU is located on the 2005+ STS?

HtotheH
04-18-09, 09:17 PM
Where in the world is the OnStar VIU on the 2005 Cadillac CTS-V? I have looked through the manuals, websites, and this thread. Help! :confused:

daveyg
04-29-09, 11:01 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 sts and i would love to have the bluetooth! I have no idea of where to even begin, but was wondering if rusty is selling this as a kit yet or if anyone can point me in the right direction? thanks

chazglenn3
04-30-09, 01:46 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 sts and i would love to have the bluetooth! I have no idea of where to even begin, but was wondering if rusty is selling this as a kit yet or if anyone can point me in the right direction? thanks

Yes. The kit is being sold.

www.costartech.com

liqidvenom
05-10-09, 09:37 AM
so for a 05 cts-v i would just need this kit and to disconnect the onstar in the trunk? are there any negative effects people have found using this in a 05 cts-v?

mrgoodbar67
05-10-09, 05:31 PM
We've got to get some video of this device in action posted up on YouTube or somewhere. Seeing this in action will really help folks get an idea of how it works. It answers and settled a lot of questions. It will be nice to see what the display shows with incoming and outgoing calls. I know that's what sold me on the GMLockPick products. (Mine actually work!)

id like to see the video...wheres it at

liqidvenom
05-11-09, 10:26 PM
any feed back on any issues with using this in a 05 cts-v? i'm sitting with money in my pocket and missing bluetooth

RustyBlazerDude
05-11-09, 10:34 PM
Don't sweat it liqidvenom,
I offer a 60 day full refund if you have ANY problems at all.
There are several happy CTS customers already. Did you check the CTS forum for their input?

liqidvenom
05-13-09, 11:01 PM
Don't sweat it liqidvenom,
I offer a 60 day full refund if you have ANY problems at all.
There are several happy CTS customers already. Did you check the CTS forum for their input?

i just placed my order.... i just noticed you are in NY, Im in jersey if you ever need to test anything on a cts-v 2005

liqidvenom
05-17-09, 07:57 PM
hey chris i just installed the unit and it works. it took me more time to find cable ties for it then to actually install the unit.

i have a few things that i'm wondering about with it but i'll play with it for a bit before i bug you. it may just have to do with the bt stack on my phone.

-will