: '02 STS Drain Plug Issue

bebor
06-23-08, 10:58 AM
Hello All:

I crawled under my (newly purchased) 2002 STS for the first time last night to change the oil. The Drain Plug was rounded off pretty bad from previous abuse and I'm wondering if anyone can comment what size this Plug actually used to be?? It looked like 15MM to me, but not sure if anyone else could agree or disagree. Any suggestions getting this thing off, I'm trying not to round it off any worse, but this thing seems to have been slammed on there with an impact wrench or something.

Thanks for your help.

Robert B
66 Galaxie Convertible
2002 Pearl White STS w/ Sunroof
:(

JimD
06-23-08, 11:05 AM
Mine is 15 MM.

bebor
06-23-08, 11:18 AM
Thanks man! Now I'm not so concerned with grabbing that 15MM and pulling harder. Later! Wish me luck!

Robert B

C&C
06-23-08, 11:26 AM
I think it's time to head to the parts store and get a replacement. Getting it off and replaced, even with visegrips, gets my vote. Best of luck with your new '02.

Ranger
06-23-08, 03:26 PM
A small pipe wrench will work if vice grips don't. Then replace it, DO NOT use it again.

What kind of an idiot uses an impact on a drain plug? :helpless:

Dadillac
06-23-08, 03:38 PM
A small pipe wrench will work if vice grips don't. Then replace it, DO NOT use it again.

What kind of an idiot uses an impact on a drain plug? :helpless:

Best advice anyone could get. If you do anything but what is listed you are more foolish than the guy who damaged the plug to begin with. The plug is cheap and reusing the old one will eventually cause you to damage the oil pan threads.

Don