: Oil guzzling 2003 Deville Northstar V8

tgifford5
06-22-08, 06:46 PM
We have a 03 DeVille with 92,000 miles on it. I recently had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube, when the odometer read 89,500. Here a couple of weeks ago my wife said the "check engine oil light" came on. It took 2 qts. of oil. There are no spots in the garage or driveway when her car is moved. Is this normal for these engines to eat oil like that? Is this a common problem with the Northstars? Any suggestions what to do for a fix?

Submariner409
06-22-08, 06:58 PM
Your first problem is Jiffy Lube. Did they know, or charge you for, about 7.5 quarts of 5W-30 ? What has your past oil consumption been? The "Check Oil" light comes on at 2 quarts low, as you found out. Best to maintain the oil level at halfway up the hashmark on the dipstick as a Northstar tends to throw out that first half quart pretty quickly. Go down to Northstar Performance and read up on how to do a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) run in order to free up piston rings and clean carbon from the piston/head quench area. Run a few tanks of Shell, Chevron or Texaco gas. Run a 20 oz. jug of TECHRON with a gas fillup. Google "techron" and "top tier".

Read the Technical Archives in the top ^^^ black bar. A consumption of 1 quart per 1,000 miles is not unusual, but still high, in a Northstar.

tgifford5
06-22-08, 07:19 PM
Your first problem is Jiffy Lube. Did they know, or charge you for, about 7.5 quarts of 5W-30 ? What has your past oil consumption been? The "Check Oil" light comes on at 2 quarts low, as you found out. Best to maintain the oil level at halfway up the hashmark on the dipstick as a Northstar tends to throw out that first half quart pretty quickly. Go down to Northstar Performance and read up on how to do a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) run in order to free up piston rings and clean carbon from the piston/head quench area. Run a few tanks of Shell, Chevron or Texaco gas. Run a 20 oz. jug of TECHRON with a gas fillup. Google "techron" and "top tier".

Read the Technical Archives in the top ^^^ black bar. A consumption of 1 quart per 1,000 miles is not unusual, but still high, in a Northstar.

Yes they charged me for 7.5 qts. I checked the receipt to see how much they did add and what the mileage was when I changed it. It also was the middle of last month when we had it changed.

CadillacSTS42005
06-22-08, 07:21 PM
WOT her
wide open throttle
go to tech archive for more info
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#noil

tgifford5
06-23-08, 12:54 AM
WOT? My wife knows nothing less than that. That is normal driving to her.

CadillacSTS42005
06-23-08, 09:05 AM
beating the piss out of the car and performing a WOT are entirely different
you must put the car into 2nd nail it to redline and let the car power-brake itself back down to speed

codewize
06-24-08, 12:19 AM
I'm going to bet that they charged you for 7.5 quarts but only put in 5. That would make a whole lot of sense here. Not to mentions it's a very common thing with those guys. Also remember that up to 1 quart every 1000 miles is considered normal.

pnkmcneil
10-20-10, 10:32 AM
We have a 03 DeVille with 92,000 miles on it. I recently had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube, when the odometer read 89,500. Here a couple of weeks ago my wife said the "check engine oil light" came on. It took 2 qts. of oil. There are no spots in the garage or driveway when her car is moved. Is this normal for these engines to eat oil like that? Is this a common problem with the Northstars? Any suggestions what to do for a fix?

I have the same car, same engine, for years adding 1 qt. every 600 miles or sooner. Seems cheaper this way rather than paying dealer (very expensive!) to tear down the engine and trying to prove to Cadillac that this oil consumption exceeds factory recommended maximum oil consumption of 1 qt. per 2000 miles. Bottom line - carry oil on-board and add when oil light comes on.

Submariner409
10-20-10, 10:44 AM
I have the same car, same engine, for years adding 1 qt. every 600 miles or sooner. Seems cheaper this way rather than paying dealer (very expensive!) to tear down the engine and trying to prove to Cadillac that this oil consumption exceeds factory recommended maximum oil consumption of 1 qt. per 2000 miles. Bottom line - carry oil on-board and add when oil light comes on.

One quart/600 miles is lousy. What sort of driving does this car get, what oil are you using, and have you attempted a few WOT (Wide Open Throttle) runs ?

I use 5W-30 synthetic in my '02 and get over 4,500 miles/quart - and I drive the snot out of the car.

codewize
10-20-10, 10:51 AM
I don't get that kind of mileage in my 01 or my 02. The 02 has no leaks at all. I'ts pretty amazing. The 01 has a very slight drip onto the crossover.

Having said that, both cars have had the WOT at least once. Both are right around the 70k mark. The 01 I get about 1200 miles per qt and the 02 I get about 1500 miles per qt

Submariner409
10-20-10, 11:20 AM
I don't get that kind of mileage in my 01 or my 02. The 02 has no leaks at all. I'ts pretty amazing. The 01 has a very slight drip onto the crossover.

Having said that, both cars have had the WOT at least once. Both are right around the 70k mark. The 01 I get about 1200 miles per qt and the 02 I get about 1500 miles per qt

Yep, they all vary. After 4.5 years of reading oil wars in here I consider my engine to be very fortunate to be at the right end of the GM oil consumption bell curve. Same as with the truck, I keep paper logs of all work and maintenance, so there's a pretty good database to fall back on. Also, like a damn fool, I save every receipt and invoice for parts and stuff. It's all in the shop.............the ol' Navy training won't quit !

ThumperPup
10-20-10, 11:43 AM
One quart/600 miles is lousy. What sort of driving does this car get, what oil are you using, and have you attempted a few WOT (Wide Open Throttle) runs ?

I use 5W-30 synthetic in my '02 and get over 4,500 miles/quart - and I drive the snot out of the car.

DAM you luck SOB 4500 per qt man best i ever got was 2000 per qt that was right after the heads where doen last time and engine cleaned out

even with wot i seem to get no more then 1400 per qt

im hoping after this next tear down and rebuild it will get high again

97EldoCoupe
10-20-10, 02:22 PM
For my father's 01 DTS, I took his internal components from a 120,000 mile car (rings, pistons, crank, etc.) and threw those cleaned components into a brand new block. Old rings with 120k into a new block. I checked the end gaps and the old cylinders for out-of round. The rings, even at 120,000 miles (200,000 kms) were perfect- just carboned up. No wear.

With those old components, consumption is less than a 1/2 quart in over 3,000 miles. I promised him all the new parts I had but we tried to keep costs low by using the old pistons, crank, rods, and rings- The only new internal component we used were crank/rod bearings and new fully assembled heads.

pnkmcneil
10-20-10, 03:45 PM
Good for you! R&R used to mean Remove & Repair. Now it means Remove & Replace. You are from the old school. So am I. Good for you. R&R for me now means Rest & Relaxation. Unfortunately, I stay too busy for this kind of R&R. Maybe tomorrow?

Ranger
10-20-10, 03:49 PM
Well put. :thumbsup: