: Service Vehicle Soon Keeps Coming on in my navie screen

1FASTV
06-22-08, 01:13 PM
What would cause this message to come up on my Nav. Screen? And is there anything i can do to clear this so that i dont have to take the car to the dealer ....
- I did disconnect the battery...
- I did try to clear codes, but their were no codes to clear....
- The car was in the dealer a week before for a new trans to be replaced...

The car does'it need anything, the oil's fresh and all the fluids are full......

I just really don't want to drive to the dealer just so that they car reset something, Thanks again

BlackStellion
06-22-08, 01:42 PM
how long did u disconnected the battery for?
From my underdstnading you need to disconnect the batt for a while 10mins plus++++.
other wise the comp is still gonna remember the codes. I'm not to familiar with the V, but I am
when it comes with general codes. What with you use to check for the codes? and how did you try clearing codes??

1FASTV
06-22-08, 02:24 PM
well i have a tester called OTC which i just got and it ran me $1700 bucks, but thats because i own a repair shop. But the car does'it display anycodes on the computer, its just that the nav. screen says that i need to service vehcle soon...... the nav screen shows a car with its hood open..... it talks about it in the owners manual but say to "take the car to the dealer...." but i want to avoid that

Bueller
06-22-08, 02:30 PM
Just throwing this out there...Did they reset the Oil Life meter when they did the oil change? If not simply pull it up on the screen and reset. It is under info. Check www.cadillacfaq.com for more info on the nav and lots of other items.

I hope it is that simple. You would get the engine light to the right of the tach if you were throwing a code. Good luck.

heavymetals
06-22-08, 03:15 PM
Mine did the same thing after I raced a Vette and I thought I killed my car.

0 oil pressure!

Turned out to be a bad sender but scared the crap out of me.

Scroll through the DIC and see if everything reads normal.

1FASTV
06-23-08, 08:28 AM
I did chck the DIC, that was my first thing i did.....They all read normal, I did reset the oil meter, but the only other thing i did that may have didit is change the battery... but who know, i'll disconnect the battery before i go to work and and see if that does'it and if not then i'll put the old battery back in and see if that does it and if that does'it do it then off to the dealer. its a nice 100 bucks to start, deductable....

ewill3rd
06-23-08, 09:19 AM
The "service vehicle soon" message could be an indicator of a body electrical issue.
Since it is not related to the emissions systems they cannot turn on the CEL, but it could be an issue just as important.
For example, the one I have in the shop right now (v-sam's car) has had the same thing going on for a while.
Extensive testing showed an internal failure in the alternator.
As of last Friday there were 3 of them in the country, scratch that down to 2 because I used one of them.
You need to get someone to read the codes and see what the code is.

The SVS light doesn't come on for maintenance issues.

1FASTV
06-23-08, 09:17 PM
Thanks a lot, so either i will see if my 1600 dollar coder read can do it other wise i'll be bring it to the dealer.... How did you track it to the alternator

ewill3rd
06-24-08, 07:53 AM
:lol: THAT is quite a story actually.

It was based off of the code chart, although I had to call GM and chew them out because the chart is horrible.

They first have you disconnect a wire from the generator and start the car to check for voltage.
The voltage reading in the chart is not even close to the voltage I got, so I checked another car and got the same incorrect voltage. I was then instructed to make a yes or no decision based on a faulty reading.
One way takes you to the PCM, the other to the generator after they instruct you to test a circuit that is INSIDE THE GENERATOR!! Not exactly sure how to test a wire for an "open or high resistance" that is inside the generator without taking it apart.
I had to call Technical assistance, I checked the wires from the PCM to the generator and did some tests to make sure nothing else was shorting to ground or damaged and TAC told me to replace the generator.
Sadly, the car doesn't have a PCM so I can't even verify the fix yet. I should get it back today.
I think sam wants his car back!
(but I am sure he wants it fixed first)

Start with finding the code, look in the PCM, then other modules as they can cause this message too.

1FASTV
06-24-08, 07:40 PM
Well as far as i will go was i checked the codes and i did find this time that the computer said that "the L terminal on the generator" And that was the problem.... so i put the car on the lift and looked at the alternator wires and say the dealer can have fun with this one.... It looks as if you have to take out the Radiator to get the alternator out, that sucks..... Is their any grounds on the transmision because a week before they replaced the transmission..... Thanks a lot, hopefully its just the Alternator for the both of us.....

AlmostAV
06-24-08, 08:54 PM
I was told itts probably a bad ground behind your rear seat area. Mine does the same thing. Cadillac claimed they cant find the problem, so I have to live with this annoying little qwirk. It pops up like 2-3 times during a 20 minute drive.

1FASTV
06-25-08, 01:18 AM
same here it comes on every once and a while... i wish i could find it and fix it so i dont have to bring the car back to the dealer.... and the alternator is a bit%^ to take out.... I think the radiator has to come out.....

ewill3rd
06-25-08, 07:45 AM
I got the PCM back yesterday and checked it out, the code did not come back and the light did not come back on while driving.

The manual says you can do it by removing only the fans, but it is easier just to take the radiator out.
It is actually a pretty easy job but it does take a few hours.

ewill3rd
06-25-08, 07:46 AM
Oh... PS, that means on this one it was because of the Generator/Alternator.
I believe it is fully repaired.
;)

1FASTV
06-25-08, 08:39 PM
thats good to hear! Well after vacation i'll take the car in and see what they say.....

Dennisscars
10-23-08, 02:08 AM
Well as far as i will go was i checked the codes and i did find this time that the computer said that "the L terminal on the generator" And that was the problem.... so i put the car on the lift and looked at the alternator wires and say the dealer can have fun with this one.... It looks as if you have to take out the Radiator to get the alternator out, that sucks..... Is their any grounds on the transmision because a week before they replaced the transmission..... Thanks a lot, hopefully its just the Alternator for the both of us.....

thats good to hear! Well after vacation i'll take the car in and see what they say.....
Bump on this one, What did you find here? I've got the same problem..seems to only come on after it gets up to full temp, worse after you stop, get out a few minutes then restart.

dmilamj
11-17-09, 04:46 PM
I'll bump this old thread because I have exactly the same problem. I have the car at the dealer right now, but they say they can't find any problems...

Anybody track down the problem?

Mine is the same, it only seems to surface after the car has been run to full temp, then stopped for about an hour or two, then started up and run through stop and go type traffic. Then it starts flashing "service vehicle soon" with a little car icon with the hood open. Nothing else looks bad, oil pressure, alt. voltage, etc.

Although now that I think about it, it could be a transient alternator fault...only shows up when the alt is hot and running at low RPMs (stop and go)

heavymetals
11-17-09, 04:55 PM
suggestion:

Bypass the Magnavolt and hook up a wire from the battery to the fuel pump and see if it starts right up, when you turn the ignition.

All you have to do is disconnect the 12 volt input to the Magnavolt and connect to the output (which should go straight to the fuel pump).

If it does, you have an electrical problem.