: Diff Oil Leak 05

beartrace
06-21-08, 11:15 PM
My 05 -V with 26k just spouted an oil leak at the front of the diff. It appears to be coming from the bearing (pinion?). Any others with this problem?
Suggestions? Help?
I will take it to the dealer. I also have the "clunk" when shifting low gears.

heavymetals
06-21-08, 11:24 PM
Pinion seal.

Known problem.

ctsv154
06-22-08, 12:32 AM
Clunk is also known problem. Do a search and you'll find all kinds of diff leaks and clunks. My question for the guys that have replaced theirs. Is there anything special I have to do to get it out. Bust the yolk off, pop the seal out and pop the new one in. Whats the torque for the pinion nut and the pinion bolts. I'm also gonna pull the driver side cover to put a new axle seal in. Whats the torque for the side cover?

BacDoc
06-22-08, 04:30 PM
Pinion seal. Have them replace the entire diff while they're in there. My dealer did.

beartrace
06-25-08, 12:18 AM
BacDoc - please give me more details, dealer name, any other issues. I am getting static from my dealer. You may email direct.. al@legal2u.com.

Thanks

BacDoc
06-25-08, 10:03 AM
BacDoc - please give me more details, dealer name, any other issues. I am getting static from my dealer. You may email direct.. al@legal2u.com.

Thanks

It was replaced before me. I did a carfax and called the dealership that did the service. Manager told me all about the history. He told me they replaced it when the pinion seal began leaking.

Call Cadillac themselves and express your concerns that this leaking seal and know diff problem needs to be resolved together.

lollygagger8
06-25-08, 03:16 PM
The Pinion Seal has been recalled I thought??? Dealer should replace under warranty no prob. Mine is out of warranty and my dealer is still going to change it out for free.

For the clunk sound: Check carrier bearing on prop shaft (driveshaft) for play.

beartrace
06-25-08, 10:29 PM
The recall was for 04 - but they are going to replace the seal. Also going to replace a bushing for the "clunk." And - get this - I complained about paint flaking off one of the radio knobs, so they are going to replace it. It being the entire radio!!!!

I have hopes for the dealer - the service writer was pretty familiar with -V issues. We shall see.

Thanks for all of your input.