: A/C mildew

blustreak
06-21-08, 11:56 AM
It's been a 100 degrees here this week. The A/C on the STS has been crankin'. I noticed a mildew like smell coming from the air vents. Is there a filter that needs to be replaced or something that needs to be cleaned?

stillen
06-22-08, 09:39 PM
Yes there is a filter for that take it to the Caddy dealer have look at it repalce the parts cleaning the areas needing it.

You should notice a big difference for the better afterward.

drjdan
06-22-08, 10:37 PM
How often does this filter have to be changed? Is it covered by warranty?

gunner13
06-25-08, 12:16 AM
I would guess the "warranty" on a filter is covered by whether or not your dealer takes really good care of you... I expect it is like an air or oil filter but don't know for sure. The other thing to check is to make sure that when the A/C is running the condensation has an open pathway to drain out to the underside of the car. IOW you should see a puddle below the car if the humidity is above about 15% where you are. If you don't see where the drain is letting water escape that might well be clogged. You can slip a pipe cleaner up there if it isn't draining and maybe open it that way.

justgreat
06-25-08, 07:58 AM
this seems to be an issue with all cars in certain parts of the country where the humidity and the temperature is high...i'm not sure it has anything to do with the cabin filter. the first thing is to make sure that you have the condensation puddle under the car, to ensure there's no blockage. also, there is a product that can be sprayed into the vent at the base of the windshield (which is where the condensor is located) that will kill the bacteria that forms on the coils and produces that musty odor.

do a google search to locate the spray or call the parts counter of your dealer...i'm sure that they have a product for the odor.

one last thing, using the recirculation button all the time, i think, can lead to greater condensation on the coils and thus a greater chance of the bacteria growing. i use the recirc button on a regular basis but not constantly, plus the climate control system reverts to open whenever the ignition is switched off.

jackg
06 sts6