: ratttles

blustreak
06-21-08, 11:54 AM
I love my STS. But, it has always had a soft rattle coming from the passenger's door over broken pavement. The noise sounds like loose plastic on metal. It disappears on very warm days but when the temperature is below 60 degrees, I can hear it. I would prefer to try to fix it myself, if I could, because I don't feel like dealers have much interest in figuring these noises out--and you can't hear it all the time.
Any suggestions?

drjdan
06-21-08, 11:50 PM
I would not care what the dealer is interested in doing--it is their job to fix warranty repairs on the car.

C&C
06-22-08, 07:16 AM
Here's a funny story. I had a 1980 Chevrolet Citation X-11 that had a low clunking sound emanating from the drivers side door; drove me nuts as it was also intermittent. I finally had had enough and removed the door molding. While I was noodling around inside the door channel, I grabbed something that wasn't attached; it ended up being a gas fill door mechanism (that I suppose one of the line workers had put in the door on purpose I'm guessing as a prank?). I'm not saying this is your problem, by any stretch, though there could be something loose inside you door that rattles only under specific conditions. If it's easily reproducible, bring it to the dealer.

GarryW
06-23-08, 03:41 PM
My 2008 STS-4 has a similar rattling sound. When I bring it in for the first oil change I'm going to have them test drive it too because when the passenger side tires runs over rough road somethings not right.

dhemrick
06-23-08, 05:14 PM
My STS-V had a similar rattle in the front passenger side door when going over bumps. It would also rattle when the radio was playing certain bass frequencies.

It turns out, it was something loose inside the speaker assembly itself. They replaced the whole speaker and it has been rattle-free ever since.