: Door dings, and why not to take off the door guard.

bossplayer
06-20-08, 11:26 AM
I usually park my car away from other cars or park one side next to a curb or other stationary object. Have been doing this for over a year and no door dings still!

So, the other day I go out to some stores and a spot next to the front opens up with one side guarded by a curb. I notice the Jeep that is parked next to it is a bit close to or over the line going towards me, but decide to take a chance with it just this once.

Come back out and the Jeep is gone and was going to look at the door but another car is starting to pull in so I decide not to check it. Get home and start washing the car (it was in dire need) and notice a huge (1/4" by 1/8" deep) gouge out of the door guard. WHEW! Frakking learned my lesson on this one.

I bring this up only because I can't imagine how bad this would have been if that strip wasn't there. I had considered removing these strips or even having the door handles shaved, uh, not even a consideration now.:thehand::tisk:

ctsv154
06-20-08, 11:45 AM
Thats what really pisses me off more than anything. When somebody hits my car and dosn't even leave a note or anything. Before I had my V I drove a pearl white Lexus ES 300. You cant really park away from anybody so I get the usual spot up by the doors. It was winter so the car looked more tan than white. I come out and on the drivers door I see this big red scrape and a dent in my drivers door. Then you could clearly see were they rubed it to try and get the red off. I know because that was the only clean white spot on the whole car! I was pissed. I went looking for every red car that had white paint on a door but never found it. I would have kicked there F****** door in.

perfect
06-20-08, 11:45 AM
at least you have a driveway/garage to keep your car in safely most of the time

my apartment complex parking lot is ruthless

groverdill
06-20-08, 11:56 AM
The door guards on my 05 are pretty beat up, I think orginal owner was a lawyer in the downtown LA area. How are the guards held on and can you get pre painted ones to replace the beat up ones?

MauiV
06-20-08, 01:49 PM
I have a HUGE dent (no paint damage think God) just behind my fuel cap door, Im sure it was an SUV because of the height and it is even got a sideways V shape to it from the door corner. Detail shop guy says he can get it out for $85 with no paint damage, we shall see I guess.

Albertan
06-21-08, 11:44 PM
Noticed my first gouge in the strip a couple of days ago. It is on rear door drivers side. Probably kids flinging the back door open. Only good thing is now my wife doesn't complain when I park WAY away from everything.
Her CTS looks like someone took a hammer to both sides. (She works at a Tim Hortons. Canadians will know. Popular Canadian coffee shop ) I can't get her to park in the next lot. Now she wants a 2008! Just a note: A guy used to tip her until he saw her get into her CTS! Now no more tips!

rand49er
06-22-08, 08:32 AM
Usually, I park wa-a-y out in a parking lot, away from everybody ... my wife has learned to expect it whenever we go anywhere. Well, last year, my son put a ding in my car in the garage. :crying2: I took it to my local collision shop who charged me $75, and you can't even tell it was there.

People who have no respect for cars (i.e. 99% women and kids) just drive me crazy.

ewill3rd
06-22-08, 09:54 AM
I am not sure how they are held on, probalby a combination of clips and double stick tape.

You cannot remove them and leave them off because there is actually a recess in the sheet metal where they are mounted. It is not smooth metal. If you look closely you can see the channel the strip sits in.

Yes, people are retarded. I have even been sitting in my wife's truck and had people swing their door open and hammer the side of her truck and then just walk away without even looking or anything.
I am afraid that girl may have suffered a flat tire or too shortly after that but I am not really sure how it happened to her :lol:

rand49er
06-22-08, 11:17 AM
... I am afraid that girl may have suffered a flat tire or too shortly after that but I am not really sure how it happened to her :lol::rofl:

jerrycecco
06-22-08, 11:44 AM
yeah I need to fix my door too due to BIG door ding,

jerrycecco
06-22-08, 11:45 AM
Oh I forgot, I got a quote from Service King in Plano of $750 life time guarantee, anyone have an opinion on Service King in Plano, Good? Bad? anyone better? jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

MauiV
06-22-08, 12:41 PM
I am afraid that girl may have suffered a flat tire or too shortly after that but I am not really sure how it happened to her :lol:

Love it!!

That same thing occurs when someone steals a parking lot spot (if Im in the Jeep or onother car, since the V stays in the North 40) at the mall or grocery store etc.. As they walk by I slowly roll by, roll the window down and tell them to enjoy their shop as they figure out how they are getting home with 4 flats and 1 spare.