: Aftermarket audio/visual installation

trackmasterdlb
06-19-08, 05:20 PM
I'm looking to replace my non-nav radio with a Pioneer in dash gps/dvd/cd player. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their radio with anything aftermarket and what did you do about all the open space that it looks like would be left over? I've searched the internet high and low and can only find two folks who said they've made the switch - but no pictures of the end result or info on how expensive a task this was. Any info is appreciated - Pics would be wonderful if you have them... Thanks in advance.

DLB

trackmasterdlb
05-27-09, 06:32 PM
anyone...?

bbshriver
05-28-09, 11:01 AM
Unless Pioneer somehow builds this in you will lose your 'customization' settings. Seat memory, etc is stored in your current stereo head unit. I'm not sure how you would get that back. Don't remember what all else is controlled through that, but it's pretty much the "brain" of the non-engine part of the car.
Probably why you're having a tough time finding anyone who has done this.

I'm looking to replace my non-nav radio with a Pioneer in dash gps/dvd/cd player. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their radio with anything aftermarket and what did you do about all the open space that it looks like would be left over? I've searched the internet high and low and can only find two folks who said they've made the switch - but no pictures of the end result or info on how expensive a task this was. Any info is appreciated - Pics would be wonderful if you have them... Thanks in advance.

DLB

trackmasterdlb
05-29-09, 01:30 PM
Gotcha... I'll just hold off and make sure my next Caddy comes with navigation. just wish i hadda known of the difficulties before I purchased...

bbshriver
05-29-09, 01:33 PM
Just get a good Garmin for a coupla hundred bucks.. works as well/better than OEM stuff and can be moved between vehicles.

amgqmp1
05-30-09, 12:52 PM
Gotcha... I'll just hold off and make sure my next Caddy comes with navigation. just wish i hadda known of the difficulties before I purchased...

I felt the same way after I learned of the complexity involved. I also have the non-navi deck. I've read that swapping in the navi unit isn't exactly easy either. I ended up having an FM modulator wired into the deck, and use an iPod touch in a dock. :)

EChas3
05-30-09, 01:57 PM
To get I-pod support you may have other options. Pacific Accessories Corporation makes add-on's for STS Navigation head-ends. They (or someone else) may make add-on's for the standard radio, too. FM modulators work but generally top out around 12,000 Hz. due to the limitations of FM radio. You're not really getting the top octave (if present in your source). If you're over 40, you probably can't hear it anyway!