: Opinions on head gaskets vs. engine swap?

RLLOVETT
06-05-04, 01:52 PM
I need head gaskets at 130k and am looking at about $1300 if there's nothing else to be fixed... but I found a N* (90k) on ebay with 2 days left, no bids (asking 799), will transport, will leave the tranny on it for another $350. Sooooo, trade the devil I know for the one I don't?? What would YOU do?
Thanks for thinking!

LacSeville
06-06-04, 11:36 AM
and pay somebody another $1000 to put it in? personally, i'd fix the head gasket. it'll be cheaper, and your motor should last another 100k. 90k isn't that far behind yours comparitvely speaking. - IMHO

RLLOVETT
06-06-04, 03:33 PM
Good thinking--appreciate the advice! I'm pretty sure this motor is fine otherwise and the rest of the car is good and I'm HOOKED on the ride!

OlManRivah
06-06-04, 11:13 PM
You know your engine. The used engine's condition is unknown. Without a warrenty on the used engine, I'd stick with the engine I know. The only way I'd use a used engine is that it is installed by a Dealer or reliable shop with the proper documented warrentys.

dloch
06-07-04, 10:41 AM
I agree... having gone down that road for my car. The engine I got was a mis-match of different year NorthStar parts. It's in the car and running well now but I had to jump through some hoops to figure out what it was I really had. Bbob was very, very helpful in helping me figure out what it was I had, I believe he got a laugh out of it as well.

If you have the time to do the repairs of your original engine, fix it.