: Crayon Melted on Rear Seat

rand49er
06-19-08, 07:50 AM
He left a couple of those crayons they give kids to color with at restaurants on the rear seat, and it melted. :banghead: I haven't taken the seat out yet to more closely investigate it, but it's really on there. Seems to be some on the back support portion, too.

Anybody got any surefire solutions?

OldRoadDawg
06-19-08, 08:13 AM
Anybody got any surefire solutions?

Not surefire, but how about ice on top of it to make the crayon wax brittle. Carefully chip away the large chunks. Then use something like Goo-Gone and blot away the residue that's down in the fabric. Keep blotting with clean cotton cloth until gone. Let it air dry.

That's what I'd try . . . after the wife pulled me off the ceiling and calmed me down.

RightTurn
06-19-08, 08:17 AM
:yeah: And for any remaining residue, gently apply some heat (hairdryer), then blot the stain with absorbent cloth. Finally, try a toothbrush and upholstery cleaner. You should be able to remove all traces. Good luck.

Twitch
06-19-08, 08:29 AM
Well, you were looking for your next mod. Fendi seat skinz! :p
They'll go great with the 22s you didn't wanna tell anybody about. ;)

That suck man. If your gonna try to freeze it, use the stuff in a can. If you can't find it, I'll see if we have any at work n send it to you.
Good luck either way.

rand49er
06-19-08, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone! Wasn't sure if the getting-it-cold trick was the way to go. I'll give it try ... when I come down from this ceiling.

BBD
06-19-08, 09:50 AM
Mr Clean Makes those sponges....Magic Clean sponges or something, I use it at home all the time amazing things removes crayon and just about anything from anywhere. I use it on the walls, couches, and rugs. Wet sponge and rub over area affected. Never tried it on the fake swayed but if nothing else works pick up those things and try it.

Civardi
06-19-08, 11:15 AM
I would find a dry cleaner that does leather and see what they have something.

peter simov
06-19-08, 11:18 AM
Try a steam cleaner and i will bet it will come out it has never failed me wish u luck

The Tony Show
06-19-08, 11:54 AM
Take he opportunity to replace the boring black suede with some leopard print.

Balla pointz + 1,000 :bling:

nxlr8
06-19-08, 01:21 PM
I would use the "cold" method for the majority of it... then I would use a thick paper towel (like Scotts Box-O-Rags), put that on top, heat gun or hair dryer to make wax soft, and blot it up... don't know if the wax would stain though...

If all else fails.. use this to hide it :banghead:
http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/images/thumbs/t_16158_01.jpg

JonCR96Z
06-19-08, 02:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-07-Cadillac-CTS-CTS-V-Black-Suede-Rear-Seats-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 QQcategoryZ33701QQihZ001QQitemZ110259850503QQrdZ1Q QsspagenameZWD1V

http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b7/7d/9bba_12_sb.JPG

rand49er
06-19-08, 02:08 PM
Take he opportunity to replace the boring black suede with some leopard print.

Balla pointz + 1,000 :bling:

I would use the "cold" method for the majority of it... then I would use a thick paper towel (like Scotts Box-O-Rags), put that on top, heat gun or hair dryer to make wax soft, and blot it up... don't know if the wax would stain though...

If all else fails.. use this to hide it :banghead:
http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/images/thumbs/t_16158_01.jpg:nono:

CTSV_Rob
06-19-08, 06:08 PM
:lol:

I would take to a pro and see if they can get it out for you.

Taking heat to a crayon seems like a bad thing as it cuold melt it into the fabirc. Not a pro on that so be careful or you may need to consider the suggestions above :D

peter simov
06-19-08, 06:48 PM
use steam get it warm then scrape it with a credit card

onebadcad
06-19-08, 06:50 PM
Randy,
Sorry about the mishap, here's what I found on the 'net:

Remove Crayon Stains From:
Leather, Suede

With a dull knife or your fingernail, gently scrape up the crayon. If any stain remains, mix a thick paste of fullers earth and water and apply it to the stain. Carefully brush it off when dry. Repeat if necessary. When the stain has been removed, on leather only, follow with Tannery Vintage Leather Cleaner & Conditioner or Fiebings Saddle Soap to condition the leather.

Hope it helps,,,

lasciVious
06-19-08, 08:44 PM
I would die.... Good luck

NormV
06-22-08, 10:51 PM
Randy, the seat bottom pops right out. Two tabs holding it in place on each side. Should make the job easier than bending over.

Just make sure the seat belt receptacles are properly fed when reinstalling. If you swap the two together they will not work with the other three point belt. :)

Norm

rand49er
06-23-08, 07:37 AM
Randy, the seat bottom pops right out. Two tabs holding it in place on each side. Should make the job easier than bending over.

Just make sure the seat belt receptacles are properly fed when reinstalling. If you swap the two together they will not work with the other three point belt. :)

NormThanks, Norm, I've had them both out many times doing the GC, then fixing the GC clunk, then installing the FG2s.

Since at some point in the past my son's car seat has chafed (sp?) the center section, too, leaving some marks, I'm leaning towards purchasing a used set. Would love to spend less than a couple of hundred bucks, but maybe in time I'll scrape together the money to go that route.

All you guys (well, with the exception of Tony and nxlr8 :annoyed:) have been great ... thanks!

(j/k, Tony & nxlr8 :D)

Twitch
06-23-08, 08:31 AM
Thanks, Norm, I've had them both out many times doing the GC, then fixing the GC clunk, then installing the FG2s.

Since at some point in the past my son's car seat has chafed (sp?) the center section, too, leaving some marks, I'm leaning towards purchasing a used set. Would love to spend less than a couple of hundred bucks, but maybe in time I'll scrape together the money to go that route.

All you guys (well, with the exception of Tony and nxlr8 :annoyed:) have been great ... thanks!

(j/k, Tony & nxlr8 :D)

Just do the best you can for now. You can wait for a good deal, and put them in when your son outgrows the car seat.

Just don't look back there lol

NormV
06-23-08, 08:51 AM
In Cleveland area we have a place called Duramend. I had a tires sitting in the back seat in a black plastic bag to protect from having the tire dressing mess up the seats. Sat for a couple of days in the sun and stained the leather with Michelin lettering. Duramend restained them and they looked like new! Look in the phone book in your area for something similar in your area.

Norm

Civardi
06-23-08, 11:24 AM
Call Luke for replacement skins. I know I read somewhere they are available. I have a baby seat mark in the back also but not to bad.. Plus I never sit back there and never will.