: velvety

Pages : [1] 2

chewwtoy
06-18-08, 11:55 PM
So last week I got the call of the year, the person on the other end works for GM and said, hey chewwtoy (they called me by my real name), I just got this CTS-V sitting here wanna drive it? So then I said ... .. .. .yeah.. ok..

I own the 2008 CTS and as many of you know the two cars have the essentially the same exterior. The interior however has some notable modifications. The steering wheel is like some sort of velvet or something like that. It's grey and soft and nice. I think its a little bit smaller than my '08 CTS. Also the steering wheel has two paddle shifter-like buttons on the in-side part.

The seats are different as well. They're a bit bulkier. The sides are adjustable and can angle towards you or away.

They've added the new electronic park break. The switch is located just south of the gear shifter. It's a bit noisy now.. but I think that may change in the future... maybe..

And of course it drives quite nicely. I was able to easily squak the tires. In the place of the traction control button, now is a button that switches between Sport Mode and Tour Mode. Press the button, push the accelerator pedal, spin tires. Simple. The car handles amazing, I took in around a couple of turns, while trying ever so hardly to obey the speed limits.. (i really tried, but the car would let me).

All-in-all if you are fan of the 2008 CTS look and feel, but want some extra * extra fun, the new V doesn't disappoint.

v84life
06-19-08, 01:20 AM
Um, ok.....

Silverspeed
06-19-08, 01:52 AM
Worst review of all time.

The Tony Show
06-19-08, 09:41 AM
:yeah: :doh:

RightTurn
06-19-08, 09:48 AM
But the steering wheel is velvety. :coffee:

dqw1
06-19-08, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't diss the review too much because it wasn't done by a car rag that's only going speed too much time talking about the germans. Sometimes I get tired of the horse shit I read in some of these mags. Real person and a real review in the raw. I wish I was the one that got drive test it.

urbanski
06-19-08, 10:30 AM
exteriors not very similar at all

urbanski
06-19-08, 10:30 AM
But the steering wheel is velvety. :coffee:

FTW.

urbanski
06-19-08, 10:47 AM

potd

thebigjimsho
06-19-08, 11:23 AM
Thanks, that's good to know. I was wondering.

sizquik
06-19-08, 12:49 PM
We would all love to hear your review of the car then.

RightTurn
06-19-08, 01:00 PM
:food-snacking:

GNSCOTT
06-19-08, 01:04 PM
So someone at GM risked their career and life letting you drive the car? :bighead:

urbanski
06-19-08, 01:42 PM
We would all love to hear your review of the car then.

ouch

CTSV_510
06-19-08, 02:13 PM
I would have ripped around in that car, what are speed limits when you're driving a 550 hp pre-production cts-v !?!?

If he handed me the keys and said, "Drive slow, stay under the speed limit and keep the T/C & Stability on," I would have said,

"Bah! Nevermind then! I'd drive a DTS if I was interested in obeying speed limits and driving straight all the time!"

So did you drive it like a granny or did you forget to tell us what happened when you punched it at 3500 rpm???

thebigjimsho
06-19-08, 02:19 PM
We would all love to hear your review of the car then.My review is that it's faster than a V1. But on tight turns, its weight matters. And the steering wheel is velvety...

The Tony Show
06-19-08, 03:01 PM
I was on the fence about buying a CTS-V, but after hearing about the grey, soft, nice steering wheel, bulky seats and new parking "break", I must have one.

RightTurn
06-19-08, 03:25 PM
velvety wheel...:drool: Count me in. :alchi:

TSS
06-19-08, 03:47 PM
This thread rocks. Can I add a review of the regular Escalade? Here goes:

It is big. Real big. Not as big as an ESV, but still big nonetheless. The seats have little air holes in them. There is wood. Lots of wood. Might be fake wood. I am not sure.

The End.

RightTurn
06-19-08, 03:50 PM
Damn. Now I want a 'Lade, too. (Imaginary REP points for TSS. :thumbsup:)

:suspense: Where's Tony??

CVP33
06-19-08, 07:20 PM
OK, so here's what really happened. Guys shows up in a non-descript white panel van of unknown make, model or year. Poster doesn't even notice that the plates are missing. Once inside he's offered a sport drink. Unknown to him, the drink is laced with a date rape drug. Poster awakes 4 hours later, coffee can sized anal sphyncter, hair between teeth, tape residue on wrists and ankles, rug burns on forehead and chin.

Poster quickly invents test drive story to cover his tracks. Obvious by the total lack of facts, adjectives, pictures, insights, etc. I don't blaim him a bit. Did I ever tell you guys about my college fishing trip? :duck::thepan:

thebigjimsho
06-19-08, 09:05 PM
blaim?

lawfive
06-19-08, 10:09 PM
Note to self: don't mispell when James is around. No, I meant 'missppell.' No, that's not it either...

razl
06-19-08, 10:32 PM
pɐǝɹɥʇ sıɥʇ uı uo ƃuıoƃ sı ɟʇʍ

thebigjimsho
06-19-08, 10:48 PM
Note to self: don't mispell when James is around. No, I meant 'missppell.' No, that's not it either...I let most stuff go. But blaim? Common!!

lawfive
06-19-08, 10:53 PM
Common? :lol:

chewwtoy
06-19-08, 11:43 PM

Worst response of all time ..

Sorry for the post Silverspeed.. Could you please post some guidelines to help me improve .. maybe some tips.. examples of something you were looking for?

thebigjimsho
06-20-08, 12:34 AM
Worst response of all time ..

Sorry for the post Silverspeed.. Could you please post some guidelines to help me improve .. maybe some tips.. examples of something you were looking for?Yes, when you say velvety, would you describe something deep and plush like the interior of a vintage Cadillac or a crush velour suit, or something a little less complex, like a billiard table surface?

Just looking for a better feel here...

Silverspeed
06-20-08, 02:27 AM
Could you please post some guidelines to help me improve .. maybe some tips.. examples of something you were looking for?

How were the floormats?

Silverspeed
06-20-08, 02:29 AM
Yes, when you say velvety, would you describe something deep and plush like the interior of a vintage Cadillac or a crush velour suit, or something a little less complex, like a billiard table surface?

Just looking for a better feel here...

I'm guessing more like a peach.

jasaero
06-20-08, 03:02 AM
That 2009 CTS-V sure is peachy!!

Jpjr
06-20-08, 05:18 AM
I have to admit, very suspect review. Absolutely nothing that could not have been written without more than an original interior pic.

urbanski
06-20-08, 07:50 AM
pɐǝɹɥʇ sıɥʇ uı uo ƃuıoƃ sı ɟʇʍ

ahahah

urbanski
06-20-08, 07:50 AM
I'm guessing more like a peach.

2 months supporter

jasaero
06-20-08, 10:33 AM
Guess Urby took down my poll about this thread?

Kidhummer
06-20-08, 12:17 PM
The Best Damn Review:

The seats have an exquisite feel to them, almost like sitting on an african wild dogs back. The Steering wheel and shift knob have a "velvety" feel to them that makes your body tingle:hmm:. When you press down on the accelerator the car roars like a lion in heat. Then the car accelerates like a cheetah running after a gazelle. The car feels strong and solid like a rhino. The tires are black like a Puma. The car is definetely faster than an earthworm plowing through the sand chasing whatever earthworms eat.

TSS
06-20-08, 12:29 PM
urby needs to move this to the official Cadillc Review section of the Forum for posterity sake.

thebigjimsho
06-20-08, 12:32 PM
2 months supporterEconomical but stinky?

TSS
06-20-08, 12:40 PM
Dear Penthouse Forums:

I never thought I would be writing, but I had the most incredible experience with a set of nymphomaniac supermodel twins and wanted to give all your readers a little review. So, here it goes.

I went over to their apartment and we did it.

Their apartment was very nice. It was a 2 bedroom flat in the city. It had a combo washer dryer and very nice furniture. The carpet was new, so there were little nubbys everywhere. But, it felt really good on my bare feet.

Hope all your readers enjoyed sharing this very unique experience with me. If you like being with one nyphomaniac supermodel, you will like being with twins more and will not be disappointed.

The end.

thebigjimsho
06-20-08, 01:12 PM
Dear Penthouse Forums:

I never thought I would be writing, but I had the most incredible experience with a set of nymphomaniac supermodel twins and wanted to give all your readers a little review. So, here it goes.

Their apartment was very nice. It was a 2 bedroom flat in the city. It had a combo washer dryer and very nice furniture. The carpet was new, so there were little nubbys everywhere. But, it felt really good on my bare feet.

Hope all your readers enjoyed sharing this very unique experience with me. If you like being with one nyphomaniac supermodel, you will like being with twins more and will not be disappointed.

The end.:histeric::postpics:

urbanski
06-20-08, 01:30 PM
urby needs to move this to the official Cadillc Review section of the Forum for posterity sake.

this is now the official assimilation thread of 09 V

The Tony Show
06-20-08, 01:40 PM
Dear Penthouse Forums:

The end.

Now that's funny. :rofl:

gothicaleigh
06-20-08, 02:51 PM
Dear Penthouse Forums:

The end.

Absolutely perfect summary. :worship:

[/thread]

jasaero
06-20-08, 03:49 PM
So I guess polls poking fun at other threads aren't allowed?

RightTurn
06-20-08, 06:20 PM

Dear Penthouse Forums:

The end.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/sarahw422/ha-ha-ha2.jpg

CVP33
06-20-08, 06:41 PM
blaim?

Hey Jim, c'mere, I want to show you something. :devil:

lawfive
06-20-08, 08:31 PM
looking for the right lol cat...

StealthV
06-20-08, 08:59 PM
There's only one right cat...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1186/881400078_5dd598fbbf.jpg?v=0

lawfive
06-20-08, 09:35 PM
that'd be it

CTSV_510
06-20-08, 10:13 PM
Don't mess with this cat...
http://www.extremefunnyhumor.com/pics/karate-cat.jpg

RightTurn
06-20-08, 10:17 PM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/sarahw422/1162047379500.jpg

CTSV_510
06-20-08, 10:24 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/180653960_21cf28e0b3.jpg

thebigjimsho
06-20-08, 10:28 PM
Hey Jim, c'mere, I want to show you something. :devil:What, your bowl cut?

Silverspeed
06-21-08, 12:42 AM
2 months supporter

Why thank you very much urby. I promise I'll do my best to try and live up to this undeserved status.:yup:

RightTurn
06-21-08, 01:03 AM
I hope urby showed you the sekrat supporter handshake. :alchi:

lawfive
06-21-08, 03:00 PM
Yeah. Can't tell you everything about it on the open forum, but it involves a maneuver commonly known as the "reach around."

urbanski
06-21-08, 03:16 PM
oh lord

CTSV_Rob
06-21-08, 05:03 PM
Glad I never learned that one. I heard urb was a regular pro though.

PAULSTSMAN1
06-21-08, 06:03 PM
Would the car seat a guy 6'4" comfortably? Did you view the engine, was it a V8, or turbo something else? How many speeds did the transmission have? Did you drive over any bumps or pot holes in the street? And if so how did the suspension differ from your stock CTS?

This is just a sampling of the kinds of questions readers need answered in an auto review. The most that I know was the steering wheel was velvelty, and I suppose that kind of wheel would be dirty from all that sweating while driving.

RightTurn
06-21-08, 09:18 PM
The most that I know was the steering wheel was velvelty, and I suppose that kind of wheel would be dirty from all that sweating while driving.

:suspect:

rand49er
06-24-08, 04:59 PM
Where have I been to have missed this thread up till now?!!

Oops ... just pee'ed my pannts.

StealthV
06-24-08, 08:22 PM
Would the car seat a guy 6'4" comfortably?
Yes. It's so easy, even a caveman would fit.

Did you view the engine, was it a V8, or turbo something else?
It's a twin-turbo V6 - A modern derivative of the Buick GNX engine.

How many speeds did the transmission have?
Eight-speed, dual-clutch, twin-shaft autostick - Similar to the new Lexu$.

Did you drive over any bumps or pot holes in the street? And if so how did the suspension differ from your stock CTS?
Don't have good information on the suspension. They're all big bumps at 198 mph.

This is just a sampling of the kinds of questions readers need answered in an auto review. The most that I know was the steering wheel was velvelty, and I suppose that kind of wheel would be dirty from all that sweating while driving.
It's like the speed of sound - Go fast enough and the sweat is behind you.

CIWS
06-26-08, 11:29 AM
The car is definetely faster than an earthworm plowing through the sand chasing whatever earthworms eat.

They eat http://www.ciws.net/smiles/poop2.gif

razl
06-27-08, 10:10 AM
They eat http://www.ciws.net/smiles/poop2.gif

Does that mean they http://www.ciws.net/smiles/poop2.gif eats?

:duck:

urbanski
06-27-08, 10:44 AM
i wonder what bacon tastes like

RightTurn
06-27-08, 11:47 AM
Would you liek a review? :bacon:

CIWS
06-27-08, 12:09 PM
i wonder what bacon tastes like

Greasy chicken.

JD03Cobra
06-27-08, 02:08 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/JD03Cobra/foshorly.jpg

caddiedrummer
06-28-08, 07:40 AM
I have been the first on the block to have several new or upgraded cars. I paid MSRP and got the first C6 05 Vette in Va. I have watched on other forums where everyone has pent up demand for such things as the new Z06 , the 08 Viper (there was no 07 and they made a bunch of changes)

Soon after I have bought the latest greatest these Vettes and Vipers they were sitting on lots far below MSRP. A Z that was $85k is now in the $60s, 08 Vipers despite very low production are sitting on dealer lots. But the first guys paid MSRP and above. I know a dealer now that has one in his showroom for $120,000 (30k above) I guess he is hoping a Barrett jackson bidder stops by.

I am doing it again. I have an early order for the 09 V, but I know not long after mine comes they will be sitting on lots (particularly with these gas prices--I could not give my M5 away)

The point is we are the first and the dumb, and if this car is any different than the others tell me why.

Bluhair
06-28-08, 09:26 AM
I have an order in for a GTR for 5K over MSRP. That was my deposit, and markup. So when my GTR finally gets here, who knows when that is, I still will get to write a check for the MSRP. I personally think, the GTR will be MSRP next year, but you are like me, I don't want it next year. I also got a "good deal", considering I know guys who are paying 100K+ for the GTR.

What you are describing is the horrible depreciation that happens to cars, and electronics. iPhone 600 bucks, new on 300, and it is better.

As for the M5, I think those cars are a hard sell anyways. At least be happy you didn't buy a CL65 new. 225K MSRP, you can find plenty on ebay in the 60K range. OUCH.

As for the V, If it comes in at 60K with no mark up, I will gladly hand it over. Of course there will be a cheaper one in a year, but who wants to wait a year? If you do wait, you might save yourself 5K-10K.

StealthV
06-28-08, 11:55 AM
Don't see why the new V will be any different. It's a vehicle with a target audience even smaller in size than the M5 market.

How much for the M5? Color and options? :D

CIWS
06-28-08, 12:03 PM
Here's an 06 M5 w/ sport package and 11,666 miles on the odo for 40,600 :eek:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=246350089&dealer_id=62781337&car_year=2006&model=M5&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=75235&advanced=&end_year=2006&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=8

and they say Cadillac's depreciate.......

Dr Chill
06-28-08, 12:27 PM
The $65,000 CTS-V2 market is definitely larger than the $95,000 M5 market. The CTS-V will appeal to a much broader group now that an automatic transmission is available, along with a much nicer total package than the V1. There will even be attraction to the Corvette crowd as a five passenger sedan with similar performance is in the same price range. If you look at other performance car forums, there is a lot more CTS-V2 talk than there is M5 or E63 talk. Plain and simply, the 2009 CTS-V will be a kick-ass machine.

Anyone who pays MSRP to have a car sooner than others realizes the penalty of being first. It's a conscious decision we idiot car enthusiasts make based on emotion and not on common sense. That's what makes us enthusiasts. Car purchase decisions are based on wants and needs. If one's lease is up or their car is tired, a new car is a need. Any other time, its a want. If one decides to pay over MSRP for a car, that's a personal decision based on one's financial capacity, personal desire, and market value of the vehicle.

If you ask owners of the first 2006 Z06's, I'm sure most of them thoroughly enjoyed their vehicles for months while the more sensible 2007 owners read about their escapades (good and bad) while waiting for the first year bugs to be fixed and prices to go down. While dealers began discounting in 2007, the MSRP was also $5000 higher.

Even after having a bad experience owning the first E55 to come in, I can't wait to make the same "mistake" with the new V.

RippyPartsDept
06-28-08, 12:40 PM
i like your attitude Dr Chill

if you ever come to my stretch of beach i'll buy you a beer

Jpjr
06-28-08, 01:57 PM
Think of it like the stock market.

Whenever you buy (bid) on a stock and win, you at that moment were willing to pay more than anyone else on Earth for the stock. That means that it is technically worth less the second after you buy it, since if you tried to sell it no one else would be willing to pay the price you paid.

Now in the stock market, most stocks are liquid so that example is not as easy to see, but with illiquid assets like cars it is very easy to see. It is so easy to see that your high bid is worth substantially less the moment you drive the car off the lot.

It all comes down to perception of value like Chill was sort of referring. If you want a car more than someone else you will pay up for it. Sure it will be worth less after (definition: what someone else is willing to pay), but that is life. Cars are not investments.

Bluhair
06-28-08, 02:18 PM
I am going to try and keep my cars from here on out. That will mean, I won't be able to switch up as often. I think the CTS-V is a good bet. It is not certain how long these ultra-high performance cars will be around. I believe we are living in a second muscle car era, and the "80s" are just around the bend...

StealthV
06-28-08, 05:16 PM
More M5s are sold every year than CTS-Vs which to me says the M5 is a larger market.

Cheap and slushbox won't pull most M5 owners out of their cars.

jasaero
06-28-08, 06:36 PM
More M5s are sold every year than CTS-Vs which to me says the M5 is a larger market.

BUT, it's price and slushbox very well could sway a lot of 550, E550, M45, s6, and GS460 intenders to something a bit more extreme for sure!! Really with the base options the CTS-V will probably come with, you will probably be getting it for the same configured price as these cars if you were planning to option them out much at all. And it will take atleast SOME M5 and E63 buyers. Not to mention SOME M3 and C63, even though they aren't really the same sorta size and such.

Dr Chill
06-29-08, 01:35 AM

V1 does not equal V2. It's a whole new ballgame with this car.

Dr Chill
06-29-08, 01:40 AM

Being smoked by a CTS-V on the street or the track will though.

csp3000
06-29-08, 02:36 AM
:yeah: man Oct cant come here fast enough....:bouncy:

Jpjr
06-29-08, 04:39 PM

When I lived in Detroit I thought that. Now that I live in California I don't.

"Caddy vs BMW" is sort of like "Nascar vs Formula 1" or "Muscle vs Finesse", etc. etc.

Most BMW drivers I know would never consider a Cadillac regardless of the numbers because throwing a "truck" engine in a big car is not the way elitists care to compete.

The aspects of the V2 that are truly world-class / state of the art appear to be the suspension and perhaps the new interior. The rest (big displacement / low efficiency, slushbox, pig, etc.) are still behind the times even if the numbers compete or exceed.

(I am presenting the counter-argument here. I am buying the V2 :)

LV_V
06-29-08, 06:34 PM
Thats a damn fine lookin strip 'o bacon.

razl
06-30-08, 08:41 AM
Thats a damn fine lookin strip 'o bacon.

I was thinking it looked more like that "Sizzle-lean" crap from the 80s. Err, wait, do they still make that?

CIWS
06-30-08, 12:29 PM
KERQgZJcE2M

CTSV_510
06-30-08, 12:33 PM
WvxgM3lr-mg

StealthV
06-30-08, 12:37 PM
One gets what one pays for in life. Pay sticker to be first or wait and spend the money saved on mods.

lawfive
06-30-08, 01:10 PM

Up until now they've had a better product. It's a whole different shooting match come this November.

Around the world there's no way V2 will do better than M or AMG for years, if ever, but I think Caddy will do just fine on their V2 numbers. That is, as long as there are enough of us idiots willing to pay $20.00 an hour or more for gas.

More go, shift or don't (your choice), $20-30K less... I agree that most M5 owners won't switch, but I think most potential M5 buyers will give V2 a long, hard look and may decide to give it a try.

chris1268
06-30-08, 01:43 PM
I don't know if everyone has seen this or not yet - just looks like a advertising plug, but here it is....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TaoQxqNR0

CTSV_510
06-30-08, 01:51 PM
old video

ibt:lock:

lawfive
06-30-08, 02:03 PM
dittos

StealthV
06-30-08, 02:22 PM
Remember to factor in the BMW elitist mentality. Pushrods are evil.

lawfive
06-30-08, 02:26 PM
Ah. Well... That's a real problem. Whereas before all they had to do was avoid looking in the rearview mirror, now the pushrods will now be some distance ahead of them clearly viewable through the front windshield.

CIWS
06-30-08, 05:37 PM
:yeah:

ibthttp://www.ciws.net/smiles/lock.gif

Albertan
06-30-08, 07:27 PM
You have to hand it to BMW. They have made their cars the standard against which all others are measured. I'm sure this must cause Mercedes no end of grief! Regarding engines/ push rods etc. Those of us on these type of automotive forums no matter the car, are car guys and girls. We know cars better than about 99% of the general and high performance public. Most who buy a BMW have NO IDEA what kind of engine it has: straight 6, V6, V8 etc. Forget about overhead cams and other technical stuff. They by a BMW or Cadillac or what ever because they like the feeling of driving a status symbol.
Why else would they pay all that money when they could save thousands and buy an econo box to get from A to B?
Ultimately, if the "normal" BMW driver determines a Cadillac is the status symbol they want, then they will test drive one or else they will stay with BMW. Of course all this can be affected by lousy dealerships which drive customers to something else.

lawfive
06-30-08, 09:22 PM
dohc < *

StealthV
06-30-08, 11:31 PM
Instead of the new V, M5 owners will just jump to the next new BMW technowidget-infested beastly ubersedan.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/07/2011-twin-turbod-bmw-m5-to-produce-550-hp/

Anyone seen the throttle on my car? It seems to have gone missing. :confused:

Florian
06-30-08, 11:44 PM
dohc < *

thems fightin words... :sneaky:

F

ewill3rd
07-01-08, 09:51 AM
I pay what it costs for what I want.
After that I don't worry about it, I don't judge my personal happiness by what other people think.
If it makes me happy I enjoy it, if it doesn't make me happy, I sell it and move on.

If you really want to quit paying MSRP for the first car out, quit your job... after a while I bet you'll find you are much less interested in buying the latest/fastest/best whatever :lol:

My wife and I have bought one new car each.
She ordered her truck from the factory and just paid cash for whatever the amount was. Since it was a fairly plain pickup truck it wasn't a lot.
I ordered my Trailblazer through my fleet manager, he tricked me! :lol:
I told him I was thinking about buying one because I needed a family car, he asked me "if you got one what would you want on it?", he ordered one exactly the way I wanted it, color and all. I did the PDI on it, road tested it and bought it. I got it for employee pricing and financed it for 6 years ('cause I am poor ;) ) I paid it off 2 weeks ago and now it has started breaking :histeric: (go figure)
It isn't the first, it isn't the best, or the fastest, but it does what I want it to do and I like it.
I think it is cool that a lot of you guys have the means to buy the new stuff, it keeps me employed :D
I'd probably do the same if I could.
I am glad GM is being so slow about releasing the Camaro because I want one kind of, badly.

RippyPartsDept
07-01-08, 11:09 AM
I think it is cool that a lot of you guys have the means to buy the new stuff, it keeps me employed :D
I'd probably do the same if I could.
I am glad GM is being so slow about releasing the Camaro because I want one kind of, badly.

Cadillac Tony
07-01-08, 03:59 PM
Completely off topic:

This car looks great even sitting in a parking lot. :D

RightTurn
07-01-08, 04:26 PM
:drool:

jasaero
07-01-08, 07:58 PM
When I lived in Detroit I thought that. Now that I live in California I don't.

"Caddy vs BMW" is sort of like "Nascar vs Formula 1" or "Muscle vs Finesse", etc. etc.

Most BMW drivers I know would never consider a Cadillac regardless of the numbers because throwing a "truck" engine in a big car is not the way elitists care to compete.

The aspects of the V2 that are truly world-class / state of the art appear to be the suspension and perhaps the new interior. The rest (big displacement / low efficiency, slushbox, pig, etc.) are still behind the times even if the numbers compete or exceed.

(I am presenting the counter-argument here. I am buying the V2 :)

My problem with this argument is that even though it might be derived from a truck engine, it is still an engine, even with the new FI hardware that still comes in at nearly the same weight as the BMW V10.

The LS7 in the Z06 is actually A LOT lighter than the BMW engine, while making the same power, oodles more torque, costing less, burning less fuel and taking up less room in the engine compartment. This engine is a beefed up FI version of that engine.

Not sure where the finesse is when everying thing on the BMW V10 is bigger and more thirsty, other than the displacement per stroke. On top of all that, they are going FI in the next gen also so can't even brag about NA anymore.

Also, it's very tough for the AMG guys to claim this is any less of a muscular approach than the AMG one.

gojo
07-02-08, 12:00 AM
What have I missed? The CTS-V, LSA V8 is derived from the LS9 in the Corvette ZR1. The LS9, my LS7 in a 2003 Vette and all other Vette engines since 1997 are based on the LS1 introduced in the 1997 Vette. As Corvette has said, it was created from "A Clean Sheet of Paper".
Where's the truck?

v84life
07-02-08, 01:45 AM
There is nothing wrong will LS engines. They make the Hp and Tq user friendly. They make it light and leading fuel economy for its power is fantastic. I've been fortunate to have owned or have driven everything thats out there. I still LOVE my stock LS-6. Plain and simple there are works of art out there engine wise and by no means is the LSA the best and end all. But I can't f%%^$ wait. This car is going to kick ass. This one is going to take me down modd hell. Already picking out the rims ohhh boy:devil:

csp3000
07-02-08, 10:29 AM
Completely off topic:

This car looks great even sitting in a parking lot. :D

Tony, why didn't you tell me my car came in already? I will be up today to pick it up...;)

Cadillac Tony
07-02-08, 10:35 AM
Patience, grasshopper. :D

By the way- make sure you give me a call or email when you make a decision on the option we talked about the other day.

dqw1
07-02-08, 11:09 AM
Tony, what is that color in the pic?

Cadillac Tony
07-02-08, 11:20 AM
Thunder Gray Chromaflair. :drool:

thebigjimsho
07-02-08, 11:44 AM
Patience, grasshopper. :D

By the way- make sure you give me a call or email when you make a decision on the option we talked about the other day.The panty picker-upper?

CIWS
07-02-08, 12:24 PM
A friend of mine here e-mailed me yesterday to say he had just placed his order for his at the dealership. :thumbsup:

Jpjr
07-02-08, 01:43 PM
There is nothing wrong will LS engines. They make the Hp and Tq user friendly. They make it light and leading fuel economy for its power is fantastic. I've been fortunate to have owned or have driven everything thats out there. I still LOVE my stock LS-6. Plain and simple there are works of art out there engine wise and by no means is the LSA the best and end all. But I can't f%%^$ wait. This car is going to kick ass. This one is going to take me down modd hell. Already picking out the rims ohhh boy:devil:

LS motors are glorified truck motors, that is why you see them or variants of them in trucks. You also see the Viper motor in the RAM, and the modular 4.6 and 5.4 Mustang motors are really just modified truck engines.

There is nothing finesse about a pushrod motor. The technology is dated and the motors are less efficient. By efficient I mean power efficiency and not fuel consumption. OHC can be revved significantly higher and peak power output can be acheived at targeted points along the band vs a high displacement pushrod motor that cranks out monster torque whether you want it through turns or not. When you are driving around in a circle like Nascar, it makes no difference so you want the least technology and the fewest moving parts. When you are road racing / carving corners, you want the opposite.

From the perspective of Europeans, they like to view high end luxary performance sedans as sport minded rather than just muscle minded. At least that is my impression.

If you have ever driven a late model M3, you know what I mean. The car is simply the funnest car I have ever driven on the street. The M5 is nothing like the M3, but I don't think BMW did a good job with the M5. Whoever said it was right, the V10 is not a great motor and not significantly better than an LS if at all. I was referring more to some of the V8's you see now coming from BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche.

Cadillac Tony
07-02-08, 02:06 PM
OHC can be revved significantly higher and peak power output can be acheived at targeted points along the band vs a high displacement pushrod motor that cranks out monster torque whether you want it through turns or not.

I never understood this argument. Revving higher does not equal better- in fact, I'd argue that it shortens the life of the motor and related components (alternator, oil pump, etc) by constantly revving it to 8,000 to see any power.

As far as "torque whether you want it or not", that's why the throttle has infinite different positions and is not an ON/OFF switch. A good driver with a monster motor can run through a corner at 4,000rpm/20% throttle and be able to explode out of the corner by rolling into the throttle.

It's easy to feel like Andretti in a car that doesn't punish you for mashing the throttle, but it's also less rewarding for the talented driver.

thebigjimsho
07-02-08, 04:01 PM
LS motors are glorified truck motors, that is why you see them or variants of them in trucks. You also see the Viper motor in the RAM, and the modular 4.6 and 5.4 Mustang motors are really just modified truck engines.

There is nothing finesse about a pushrod motor. The technology is dated and the motors are less efficient. By efficient I mean power efficiency and not fuel consumption. OHC can be revved significantly higher and peak power output can be acheived at targeted points along the band vs a high displacement pushrod motor that cranks out monster torque whether you want it through turns or not. When you are driving around in a circle like Nascar, it makes no difference so you want the least technology and the fewest moving parts. When you are road racing / carving corners, you want the opposite.

From the perspective of Europeans, they like to view high end luxary performance sedans as sport minded rather than just muscle minded. At least that is my impression.

If you have ever driven a late model M3, you know what I mean. The car is simply the funnest car I have ever driven on the street. The M5 is nothing like the M3, but I don't think BMW did a good job with the M5. Whoever said it was right, the V10 is not a great motor and not significantly better than an LS if at all. I was referring more to some of the V8's you see now coming from BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche.http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Industry_Tuner_News/004__scaled_600_011.jpg

http://www.ritzsite.net/AC_Cobra/1968_Ford_GT40_Mk_I.jpg

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/images/content/111006_1.jpg

http://tuning4u.info/57798-2/ctsvr.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-02-08, 04:21 PM

If you have ever driven a late model M3, you know what I mean. The car is simply the funnest car I have ever driven on the street. The M5 is nothing like the M3, but I don't think BMW did a good job with the M5. Whoever said it was right, the V10 is not a great motor and not significantly better than an LS if at all. I was referring more to some of the V8's you see now coming from BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche.First off, you've got it backwards. LS and Viper motors were not designed with truck use in mind. So using it as a "truck motor" argument is weak. If you want to make that asinine comment, then DOHC are glorified truck motors as well. See Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra.

As far as road racing, you have no clue. What matters more than high revving is a flat torque curve. Ask any road racer and the flexibility and revvability of the LS6 or LS2 V engine is a huge time saver. Nothing like taking Shenandoah in the V and only shifting twice, staying in 3rd gear all the way around the track. It's all about useable power. As for efficiency, I guess a DOHC engine may be efficient at low rpms, but it doesn't make power like pushrods, either.

As for Germans and not being muscle minded, check the hp and tq numbers and compare the E39 M5 and 1st gen CTS-V...

As for someone with extensive use of both types of engines, I thoroughly enoyed each. I'm not so ignorant to declare one superior to the other...

v84life
07-03-08, 01:19 AM
First off, you've got it backwards. LS and Viper motors were not designed with truck use in mind. So using it as a "truck motor" argument is weak. If you want to make that asinine comment, then DOHC are glorified truck motors as well. See Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra.

As far as road racing, you have no clue. What matters more than high revving is a flat torque curve. Ask any road racer and the flexibility and revvability of the LS6 or LS2 V engine is a huge time saver. Nothing like taking Shenandoah in the V and only shifting twice, staying in 3rd gear all the way around the track. It's all about useable power. As for efficiency, I guess a DOHC engine may be efficient at low rpms, but it doesn't make power like pushrods, either.

As for Germans and not being muscle minded, check the hp and tq numbers and compare the E39 M5 and 1st gen CTS-V...

As for someone with extensive use of both types of engines, I thoroughly enoyed each. I'm not so ignorant to declare one superior to the other...

Thanks Jim, that's what I was basically saying.... There is nothing wrong with LS based engines. They do there job well, plain and simple.

Jpjr
07-03-08, 02:05 AM
First off, you've got it backwards. LS and Viper motors were not designed with truck use in mind. So using it as a "truck motor" argument is weak. If you want to make that asinine comment, then DOHC are glorified truck motors as well. See Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra.

Thanks for the implication.

To get a better understanding on why BMW has eaten Caddilac's lunch over the past few decades, you may want to rethink who is ignorant here. You can aruge all you want that a technologically superior motor is not better, but it sounds more like a patriotic Big 3 supporter talking than an objective enthusiast. I only buy American but try to keep the blinders off.

There is simply no argument about which motor is superior. You can argue which car is superior, but not the motor. The pushrod motor can make great power but will lose every time to an equally displaced DOHC motor. The same power output coming from an OHC motor gives you more options across the board, not less.

As far as revving goes, I didn't think it would be argued that having the ability to turn a motor faster for optimal performance was a bad thing?? BMW would not warranty an 8000+ rpm motor if it wasn't reliable. They would be out of business and clearly arent.

Unfortunately GM and Chrysler shortcut performance by sticking large displacement engines in small cars because they are...cheaper. That is the real reason, it certainly is not because they are better. Heavier motors in turn require a heavier chassis and drivetrain, which turns many muscle cars into fast pigs.

Was anyone else around when GM came out with the LT5, its greatest motor ever?

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_about.htm

They proved that they can compete with the best. But I call a spade a spade. BMW is now building better motors accross the board because they can price thier cars and move enough volume to cover the R&D.

thebigjimsho
07-03-08, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the implication.

To get a better understanding on why BMW has eaten Caddilac's lunch over the past few decades, you may want to rethink who is ignorant here. You can aruge all you want that a technologically superior motor is not better, but it sounds more like a patriotic Big 3 supporter talking than an objective enthusiast. I only buy American but try to keep the blinders off.

Right, you're talking to someone who is an avid BMW enthusiast and have been since I can remember. I remember when owning a BMW was rare as my parents still have their '72 2002. They used to always flash other owners as they drove by. Of course, this was in the 70s...

Growing up, I always wanted an M5. I have often called my CTS-V my bargain M5. I had no allegiance to Cadillac or the LS6 motor until I bought my V in '04. And until I did, I was an SHO owner, a car with one of the most technologically advanced engine of its time, built by Yamaha.

So your assessment of me is very ignorant.

thebigjimsho
07-03-08, 07:44 AM
There is simply no argument about which motor is superior. You can argue which car is superior, but not the motor. The pushrod motor can make great power but will lose every time to an equally displaced DOHC motor. The same power output coming from an OHC motor gives you more options across the board, not less.
Again, your obsession with superiority is stupid. Sure, the DOHC makes more hp up high. But a pushrod motor makes more torque. And it makes it down low and up high in today's engine. And if the torque curve is flat and doesn't drop off before redline, then it doesn't need to rev to 8000 rpm.

Again, as a former SHO owner and a DOHC fan, I like revving a motor into the stratosphere. But I know that I don't need to to be fast. Neither is superior.

thebigjimsho
07-03-08, 07:53 AM
As far as revving goes, I didn't think it would be argued that having the ability to turn a motor faster for optimal performance was a bad thing?? BMW would not warranty an 8000+ rpm motor if it wasn't reliable. They would be out of business and clearly arent.

I never said it was a bad thing. And I never said it was unreliable. Again, I'm not the closed-minded one who ignorantly declares one as superior when neither clearly is.

Funny, you still haven't addressed issues YOU brought up earlier that was bogus. Such as low-revving torque monsters are not good road racers. Or that LS and Viper engines and such are truck motors because you can find pushrod engines in trucks when there are plenty of DOHC engines powering trucks as well.

As far as pushrods being dated, DOHC is pretty old technology as well. And neither has knocked each other. You can blab all you want about cost to build and such. But pushrods make power efficiently and with good fuel economy. Seems like you'll never accept that fact with your own bias going on...

thebigjimsho
07-03-08, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately GM and Chrysler shortcut performance by sticking large displacement engines in small cars because they are...cheaper. That is the real reason, it certainly is not because they are better. Heavier motors in turn require a heavier chassis and drivetrain, which turns many muscle cars into fast pigs.

Again, you show your lack of knowledge here. You think because a motor has larger displacement, it's larger and heavier? I suppose GM was just lazy for not putting the Northstar in the CTS-V. No, it was because the LS6 was smaller and lighter. You can't fit the Northstar into a CTS. Care to check the weight of a 5.7 liter LS6 to a 3.0 liter V6 Yamaha motor in the SHO?

Again, another benefit of the incredibly efficient LS motor is its tidy packaging and light weight.

Now what?

thebigjimsho
07-03-08, 08:03 AM
Was anyone else around when GM came out with the LT5, its greatest motor ever?

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_about.htm

I LOVE the ZR-1 and I LOVE the LT5. But the LS6 is just as good and just as impressive. Nevermind the LS7's power to displacement ratio...

thebigjimsho
07-03-08, 08:13 AM
BMW is now building better motors accross the board because they can price thier cars and move enough volume to cover the R&D.I've driven an E39 M5 and my CTS-V. Statistically very similar vehicles. But when it comes to real world driving on the road and road course, your "better" engine fails to beat out the lesser one. JEM, a fellow SHO owner and E39 M5 owner swapped rides with me in California back in '04. There's good reason his car was $30k more than mine. Being faster was not one of them...

Your arguments are based on feelings. Mine are subjective. Again, I'm a big fan of both engine types. In fact, at one time, in the top of my SHO days, I was a DOHC snob. But I've seen the brilliance of the LS motor. Don't judge me as a pushrod snob because me shooting down your arguments are like shooting fish in a barrel...

silver bullet
07-04-08, 03:34 PM
The Chevy small block has won more race's than any other motor in the world and it's design is 53 years old. And that's the truth.:yup:

ewill3rd
07-04-08, 04:26 PM
Not to split hairs... but the original small block went into production around 1954 and was replaced by a "white sheet" Gen III small block in 1997 and on through a few more years as the design spread to similar models.
The Gen I and II engines could not adapt to modern fuel controls and emissions standards so they started over.
The Gen IV engine is in production now, the only diff between III and IV is Active Fuel Management hardware cast into the block.
Even though this design is only 11 years old now it carries on a great legacy of GM small block design.

The rest of this is looking a lot like the babbling that got another topic locked not too long ago.... hmmm....

Jpjr
07-04-08, 08:32 PM
Guys I want to be clear about something:

My argument was that OHC engines in general are an evolutionary improvement over pushrod engines. I apologize for wording that implied this meant one car/carmaker was better than another. The Corvette (and V) smoke many comparable cars and are significantly less expensive because of pushrod motors that are excellent quality and super high performance. If I didn't think the motor/performance got it done I would not be buying the new V.

CTSV_510
07-05-08, 12:48 PM
I'm putting my LS6 into a smart car next week.

ewill3rd
07-05-08, 12:59 PM
Bring it by, I want to see that!

tmwfla
07-11-08, 11:28 PM
I'm putting my LS6 into a smart car next week.

Isn't that called a Boss Hoss when you have to sit on top of the V8 due to spacial restrictions? :)

HiTechRV
07-12-08, 11:38 AM
It is a common misconception that OHC engines are somehow more advanced than OHV. OHV engines of the same displacement or HP as an OHC typically make a lot more power under the total curve, and supply torque over a much broader RPM range. OHC engines today have active fuel management, cam phasing, roller rockers and technology in every way equal to or better than OHC engines.

Some people are thrown off by the intentionally lumpy idle of certain OHV engines to reinforce to concept that they are somehow low tech. You need not have a lumpy cam to have a high performance OHV engine, it's just fun ;-)

Mystical_Ice
07-13-08, 02:29 AM
exteriors not very similar at all

look pretty damn similar to me
http://www.rpmdaily.com/images/2008_cts.gif
http://www.dieselstation.com/uploader/files/890_xxcmf/cadillac-cts-v-2009-pictures.jpg

urbanski
07-13-08, 08:44 AM
nope lots of changes

CTSV_510
07-13-08, 10:46 AM
But the question is how soon will the chrome pillars be available?

lawfive
07-13-08, 11:36 AM
Already too much damned chrome on the car.

LawFive's 2010:

Black (Raven or Ice, TBD)
Powdercoat grill
Powdercoat stupid side hole inserts
Powdercoat stupid chrome trim over doors
Powdercoat stupid chrome strip on ass (the car's, not mine)

StealthV
07-13-08, 02:13 PM
For the Bimmer, I paid extra for no chrome (like it really costs more for less expensive parts :rolleyes:) and am with the Law.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

http://www.tbkusa.com/yul%20brenner.jpg

lawfive
07-13-08, 02:41 PM
So say we all.

FrgMstr
07-13-08, 02:45 PM
I intend to do "this" with my V2......
http://www.hummercommunity.com/files/hfpics/compare2.jpg

lawfive
07-13-08, 04:44 PM
Yeah, that. 'Cept for the wheels.

CTSV_510
07-13-08, 06:33 PM
needs a snorkel.

StealthV
07-13-08, 11:28 PM
And a Mr. Fusion.

CIWS
07-14-08, 10:22 AM
I intend to do "this" with my V2......

That can't be a pic of your Hummer. There's no mud on that one.

Greg*
07-14-08, 06:02 PM
Article (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/14/lock-and-load-cts-v-to-go-hunting-in-europe-after-all/)

concorso
07-14-08, 07:51 PM
I love how they still include the present M5 and E63 in this 'dream' comparison. :) As far as Im concerned, the dream comarison is the RS6 sedan against the M5. Oops, brainfart. I didn't mean M5 at all, did I? :) All 4 sedans drive well enough and look good enough inside and out, that power really does matter. Hopefully the CTS-V will still be alot cheaper then all 3 by the time it makes it across the ocean.

JEM
07-14-08, 09:11 PM
BMW does great chassis but their recent emphasis on 8000RPM buzz-bomb motors doesn't tickle me. Audi chassis are seldom all that good, their powertrains are hit and miss - some are exceptional, some are lackluster. Mercedes chassis are consistently adequate (seldom more) but they've got really nice powertrains these days.

IMO, of course.

luckydaughter
07-15-08, 10:26 PM
My father in law said-OMG.... due to the low profile tires and high performance this new V will be a VERY hard ride and bumpy as heck.That I will not have a smooth driving experience. Is this the case? I'm looking for this car to be fast, has great handling, and pleasant to drive. As I am a "girl" is this an unreasonable expectation for the new V? Thanks for the feedback- LD.

gothicaleigh
07-15-08, 11:03 PM
As I am a "girl" is this an unreasonable expectation for the new V?

o.O

"As I am a girl"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? :gothicaleigh:

The new V has Magnetic Ride Control, it will soften while cruising on the highway and stiffen when cornering or encountering extreme changes in grade.

Will it be as smooth as a Deville? Of course not. ...but it's not going to be a lumberwagon either.

If you have ever driven BMW's 5 series, I think you will have a reasonable idea of what the car will feel like on the road.

thebigjimsho
07-15-08, 11:08 PM
o.O

The new V has Magnetic Ride Control, it will soften while cruising on the highway and stiffen when cornering or encountering extreme changes in grade.

Will it be as smooth as a Deville? Of course not. ...but it's not going to be a lumberwagon either.

If you have ever driven BMW's 5 series, I think you will have a reasonable idea of what the car will feel like on the road.Add to the MRC that the V2 will have non-RFT tires. Sure, they may be lower profile tires but they'll still ride nicer than the F1s did...

Florian
07-15-08, 11:20 PM
go pick up your new Escalade.

F

CTSV_510
07-15-08, 11:31 PM
My father in law said-OMG.... due to the low profile tires and high performance this new V will be a VERY hard ride and bumpy as heck.That I will not have a smooth driving experience.

He's f-ing with you because he's jealous he's not getting one.

...is he?

The Tony Show
07-15-08, 11:45 PM
Dad's suddenly realized Princess would wrap this car around a tree in 48 hours or less, and is now in full backpedal and downselling mode.

"The more I think about it honey- you don't want that car. It'll ride rough, and isn't very green at all." :lol:

v84life
07-16-08, 01:47 AM
Dad's suddenly realized Princess would wrap this car around a tree in 48 hours or less, and is now in full backpedal and downselling mode.

"The more I think about it honey- you don't want that car. It'll ride rough, and isn't very green at all." :lol:

:histeric:

urbanski
07-16-08, 07:57 AM
assimilation

CIWS
07-16-08, 08:25 AM
My father in law said-OMG.... due to the low profile tires and high performance this new V will be a VERY hard ride and bumpy as heck.That I will not have a smooth driving experience. Is this the case? I'm looking for this car to be fast, has great handling, and pleasant to drive. As I am a "girl" is this an unreasonable expectation for the new V? Thanks for the feedback- LD.

Seriously, don't you think it would be a good idea to wait until you / y'all can actually look at and drive one to make sure it's what you're looking for before you purchase it ? In some way I guess it doesn't matter even if you do order one and then for whatever reasons change your mind, the dealership will sell it in no time to someone else.

thebigjimsho
07-16-08, 08:27 AM
I think you guys fail to realize there is a vagina in this room...

urbanski
07-16-08, 08:48 AM
just one?

slothV
07-16-08, 09:26 AM
As someone who's driven an 04 and an 09 back to back, I can say that the ride is better in the 09.

Kadonny
07-16-08, 09:26 AM
More than one would be good, real good.

thebigjimsho
07-16-08, 10:05 AM
just one?Of course there's more than one. :bouncy:

CTSV_510
07-16-08, 11:21 AM
I think you guys fail to realize there is a vagina in this room...

just one?

More than one would be good, real good.

Of course there's more than one. :bouncy:

:welcome:

330toSRT8
07-16-08, 06:31 PM
Have you ever driven a car with over 500 HP? Any car with this type of handling/performance will have a very hard ride and feel bumpy compared to 95% of all cars out there. My SRT-8 is very stiff compared to the Impala rental car I had last week, but I'm willing to sacrifice comfort for handling.

If you need insane HP and comfort, you better have a lot of money so you can buy a Mercedes S600 or S65.

luckydaughter
07-16-08, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=thebigjimsho;1579728]I think you guys fail to realize there is a vagina in this room...[/QUOT What is THAT supposed to mean? You sexist S.O.B. I just have the interest to buy this car and the $$$$ (mine) to do it. I wanted some feedback requesting if this car was going to ride like a truck. I am disappointed that some of you men can not or will not appreciate that I am looking for something that I can DRIVE, as well as having some comfort as I'm touring around locally.
Signed,
THE VAGINA

urbanski
07-16-08, 08:24 PM
:hide:

StealthV
07-16-08, 08:29 PM
Well I'm not going to use the :v: word so here it goes - We don't have that :v: accessory, we don't know how to maintain it or get it to do much of anything.

A :v: has a lower return on investment than a K&N air filter.

Those with :v: don't think the same as those without - Look at Wildwhl.

The Tony Show
07-16-08, 08:59 PM
Signed,
THE VAGINA

Now that's funny. :rofl:

330toSRT8
07-16-08, 09:02 PM
He deserves to be called thelittlediksho!:yup:

thebigjimsho
07-16-08, 09:49 PM
He deserves to be called thelittlediksho!:yup:When did you get the time off from sucking it to suck up to the Vag...?

thebigjimsho
07-16-08, 10:13 PM
[quote=thebigjimsho;1579728]I think you guys fail to realize there is a vagina in this room...[/QUOT What is THAT supposed to mean? You sexist S.O.B. I just have the interest to buy this car and the $$$$ (mine) to do it. I wanted some feedback requesting if this car was going to ride like a truck. I am disappointed that some of you men can not or will not appreciate that I am looking for something that I can DRIVE, as well as having some comfort as I'm touring around locally.
Signed,
THE VAGINAhttp://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/bowhunter917/tampon.jpg

330toSRT8
07-16-08, 10:23 PM
When did you get the time off from sucking it to suck up to the Vag...?
:welcome:

Rich H
07-16-08, 10:26 PM
Call me a sexist male SOB, but.... with the comfort that will be afforded in the new 09 V including the Recaro seats, electronic parking brake, AND fully automatic transmission there will be than a few of the opposite sex attracted to it - regardless of how stiff (excuse the crude expression) the suspension is.

StealthV
07-16-08, 10:28 PM
Hypothesis - You're all being screwed with and there is no :v: involved at all.

330toSRT8
07-16-08, 10:32 PM
Call me a sexist male SOB, but.... with the comfort that will be afforded in the new 09 V including the Recaro seats, electronic parking brake, AND fully automatic transmission there will be than a few of the opposite sex attracted to it - regardless of how stiff (excuse the crude expression) the suspension is.
The SL65 Black Series also has nice seats with an auto, but I doubt many women will buy it.

CTSV_510
07-16-08, 10:35 PM
He deserves to be called thelittlediksho!:yup:

How would you know? :hmm:

Rich H
07-16-08, 10:41 PM
The SL65 Black Series also has nice seats with an auto, but I doubt many women will buy it.

Yes the other part of the formula is whether the $$$ spent are worth the return on investment. As far as options go, I will take the seats (could do without the heated feature though) but will forgo the auto tranny.

I can see it's nearing time for a poll to determine the most popular options and the potential buyer cross-section. You would think that GM has already done this.

DoctorV8
07-16-08, 10:57 PM

Corvettes have the optional Magnetic Ride suspension that will be standard on the V....and so equipped, even a Vette rides very wel, especially if you ditch the run flats. People are always amazed at how my '04 C5 with the F55 shocks rides, despite 19" wheels all around. I have a Z06 that makes the C5 feel like a Caddy in comparison.

Bottom line....the V is 900 lbs heavier than the already smooth mag ride Vette.....it's gonna be a great combination of controlled ride and comfort.

StealthV
07-16-08, 11:09 PM
I B T A

StealthV
07-16-08, 11:11 PM

CTSV_Rob
07-16-08, 11:13 PM
I'm with urb on this one :hide:

urbanski
07-17-08, 06:32 AM
ah nothing liek a good merge at 430am

CIWS
07-17-08, 08:34 AM
I A T A

CTSV_510
07-17-08, 10:25 AM
IACIWS

:spam:

TSS
07-17-08, 11:31 AM
IDUAOTA.

(I Don't Understand Any Of These Abbreviations...) :bonkers:

CTSV_510
07-17-08, 12:42 PM
Iuaota.

CTSV_510
07-17-08, 12:52 PM
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/05/Cadillac-CTS-V-Nurburgring.jpg

CTSV_510
07-17-08, 12:53 PM
I found the color for luckydaughter's bumpy-riding favor-returning V.

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/bankhead/112_0707_01l+2009_cadillac_cts_v+front_three_quart er_rendering.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-17-08, 12:58 PM
You'd think a bumpy ride would be a good thing...

CTSV_510
07-17-08, 02:01 PM
You'd think a bumpy ride would be a good thing...

Not when your :v: hurts.

TSS
07-17-08, 02:20 PM
Iuaota.

Then educate me. Bring me into the circle of trust.

RightTurn
07-17-08, 04:11 PM
Ah... the "CoT."

lawfive
07-17-08, 08:36 PM
o.O

If you have ever driven BMW's 5 series, I think you will have a reasonable idea of what the car will feel like on the road.
you said 'stiffen'

urbanski
07-18-08, 07:22 AM
haha

CTSV_510
07-18-08, 12:53 PM
:woot2:

urbanski
07-18-08, 03:29 PM
you said 'stiffen'

YEAH BABY [/AUSTINPOWERS]

Kidhummer
07-24-08, 02:58 PM
First Cadillac CTS-V Sells for $75,000 (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080418.011/first-cadillac-cts-v-sells-for-75000).....READ THE COMMENTS THEY ARE FUNNY!

thebigjimsho
07-24-08, 03:05 PM
Notice the article said April 18? OK, now, go back here to about April 19 on this forum. That is where you'll find the original thread, dead...

the cadillac kid
07-24-08, 08:04 PM
IBTL :lock:

CADILLAC_IN_MY_DREAM
07-29-08, 12:26 AM
i have a 08 cts with AWD it has no power what so ever cant stand it and the seat on the V looks more comfy so id like to trade it in

dose anyone know which dealer around NY NJ has a V on stock? and how much its going for?

or is it even out yet??

v84life
07-29-08, 03:11 AM
Hopefully Nov.-Dec 08:) Nothing before then.

thebigjimsho
07-29-08, 04:45 AM
You can find them in the color Unobtanium...

CIWS
07-29-08, 08:42 AM
i have a 08 cts with AWD it has no power what so ever cant stand it

:histeric:

09 CTS-V isn't even in retail production yet. Maybe by Oct-Nov they begin to trickle to dealerships. Of course if you want to wait till January you can buy a new Camaro with an LS3 (420hp) and mod it beyond the CTS-V's power for about 6K more.

atdeneve
07-29-08, 10:38 AM
The Camaro SS with the LS3 will be tuned to about 400-405 bhp. The Z28, which will appear a year later, will have the LSA tuned to about 480-500 bhp.

CIWS
07-29-08, 12:20 PM
The Camaro SS with the LS3 will be tuned to about 400-405 bhp.

I guess they changed their mind...

"As for headline-maker, SS-designated Camaros will get not one, but two nearly identical, aluminum-intensive 6.2-liter V-8 engines derived from the Corvette's small-block. For the automatics, the L99 V-8 should make about 395 horsepower and 395 pound-feet of torque. Manual transmission SS models will receive an LS3 V-8 with an estimated output of 420 horsepower and 408 pound-feet of torque on premium."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0809_2010_chevrolet_camaro_first_look/engines_suspension.html

Corvettes with the LS3 and cam/headers/tune are making at least 470 rwhp. A friend's makes 495 rwhp cam/headers/tune.

A Camaro making 460 rwhp and N.A. will be 09V power (or slightly more) and weighing 300-400lbs less.

CTSV_510
07-29-08, 02:22 PM

The SS has always been the higher performance model as compared to the Z28, why would they change that now?

CadV
07-29-08, 04:34 PM
They have 4 09 CTS-V's

Black
Red
Gold
White

They just called me to come by and take a look at them. I am shocked they got them so early. The lady said they are built in Arlington so maybe that explains it.

Cadillac Tony
07-29-08, 04:56 PM
I doubt it- According to my Dealer locator there isn't a single salable unit in the country, not to mention the fact that they're built in Lansing, Michigan (Not Texas). Gold is also not available on the CTS-V, so chances are a Salesman saw a few 2009 V6 CTSs arrive and got prematurely excited.

The only possible explanation (which I still doubt) is that they're evaluation cars that are to be picked up from the Dealer and not for sale.

CadV
07-29-08, 05:23 PM
Yeah disregard the women didn't know what she was talking about. They just got the regular CTS's in.

CIWS
07-29-08, 09:55 PM
The Arlington plant is off right now and it builds GMs SUVs. The last plant to do so, the rest are being permanently closed.

urbanski
07-29-08, 10:16 PM
merge

RightTurn
07-29-08, 10:59 PM
Velvety wheel.

:alchi:

concorso
07-29-08, 11:07 PM
Soggy bottoms.

RightTurn
07-29-08, 11:18 PM
Lighted makeup mirror. :thumbsup:

the cadillac kid
07-30-08, 01:27 AM
umbrella holder. :alchi:

the cadillac kid
07-30-08, 01:27 AM
I doubt it- According to my Dealer locator there isn't a single salable unit in the country, not to mention the fact that they're built in Lansing, Michigan (Not Texas). Gold is also not available on the CTS-V, so chances are a Salesman saw a few 2009 V6 CTSs arrive and got prematurely excited.

The only possible explanation (which I still doubt) is that they're evaluation cars that are to be picked up from the Dealer and not for sale.

damn! ....you're good

TSS
07-30-08, 10:34 AM
I saw a test mule/evaluation car here (Lansing) 2 days ago. Looked like it was on its way back to the plant. No camouflage, no disguise. All happened too fast for me to snap a photo. Pretty sure the photo would have sucked anyway from my PDA. It looked exactly, as far as I could tell, like the release photos we have all seen many times. From what I could see, the steering wheel was in fact velvety.

The Tony Show
07-30-08, 10:47 AM
That's good to hear.

CTSV_510
07-30-08, 11:54 AM
From what I could see, the steering wheel was in fact velvety.

:woohoo:

the cadillac kid
07-30-08, 04:35 PM
:rofl:

guess you dont want those gloves then, huh? :alchi:

urbanski
08-06-08, 04:46 PM
velvet ftw

the cadillac kid
08-06-08, 07:04 PM
:bump: ftw

ewill3rd
08-07-08, 09:51 AM
Yeah, the '09 base cars are out, we have plenty of them. The V's are not hitting the showrooms yet.
I can't wait until we get one so I can drool on it.... sorry to whoever buys it, I'll make sure they wipe up the drool before it is delivered.

CTSV_510
08-07-08, 09:32 PM
:party:

StealthV
08-07-08, 11:54 PM
:pirate2:

the cadillac kid
08-08-08, 12:36 AM
reminds me of type-:pir8: & gt-:pir8:

Jpjr
10-03-08, 07:00 AM
I would have sworn it said Fall before. Am I crazy?

CIWS
10-03-08, 08:55 AM
Nope you are correct. From public introduction till a couple of months ago it was to be released "in the fall" (expecting a Sept production start) However production starts were moved roughly a month later to Oct, which in turn meant it would be winter for most before it started showing up. In reality a change of about a month.

Jpjr
10-03-08, 11:24 AM
That's right.... thanks. For some reason I thought it still said Fall until I actually paid attention last night.

Dr Chill
10-04-08, 12:21 AM
They changed the site to say winter 2 months ago. That is what did it for me.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/146858-bad-news-cadillac-com-just-changed.html

luckydaughter
10-04-08, 10:03 PM
Well, I've given up. GM said my car might be available for delivery in November that'd be 3 weeks.As I sold my primary car I have been driving my vintage Caddy and NOT happy about that. My miles are low and want to keep it just that way, and asleep in the garage. I also have STILL been unable to secure any pricing. Therefore, and very sadly, I will add I am giving up my car order. I have never experiencing anything quite like this CTS-V, an amazing car that I just can't get any info on- enuf already. SO... if anyone is looking for a black beauty it's available. I'm out. Times are so economically tough and for GM to just let us all hang is cruel and inhumane treatment. I give you all kudo's to stick this one out and will be green with envy when the car does appear.
Sadly,
LD

concorso
10-04-08, 10:31 PM
You love it enough be green with envy, but youre not patient enough to wait a couple weeks? You could have bought a beater to hold you over. Let's be honest, the economy is tough for people who cant afford to buy milk or put gas in their car.

I really dont understand the impatience.

CIWS
10-04-08, 11:14 PM
Ahh well. Such is life.

vperl
10-04-08, 11:47 PM
Actually, I hate to say this, but if these "bad times" continue, GM will have to either make this a very limited issue or lower the final price, with deep discounts...\\

Either way I can wait.

thebigjimsho
10-05-08, 03:19 AM
I love how the 2 issues are blended together as though they have any relevance on each other. If they came out 8 months ago and said the new V would cost $20G and be ready for delivery in November, would you be bitching about it then? Or if they said it was $100G but would be ready in July, what then?

I love how some of the people in this country think this situation is cruel and inhumane. The expected price hasn't fluctuated in months and the delivery date has stayed within the same timeframe as well.

I'm just grateful to now be spared the "cruel and inhumane treatment" of having to read such drivel in these threads started by the spoiled OP, LD...

Seattle CTS-V
10-05-08, 05:47 AM
I agree with BigJim. What's with all the whining. The cookies will be out of the oven when they're done. Buy a Vespa to hold you over.

Florian
10-06-08, 10:42 AM
unbelievable....talk about a whiny turd.

F

RightTurn
10-06-08, 07:07 PM
You can find them in the color Unobtanium...

Ahahaha :rofl:

RightTurn
10-06-08, 07:09 PM
This is a prime assimilation candidate. :yepper:

urbanski
10-06-08, 07:26 PM
this is the 09 assimilation version. LD should go here

caddiedrummer
10-06-08, 09:39 PM
I have a V on order, but after losing 1/3 of my savings in the last 2 weeks, my only hope is that GM does not do something dumb like price this car at 70K plus.

How bad is the car market? I have a low mileage, pristine 06 M5 which fully loaded had an MSRP of over $98K. I can't get a sniff on it at $55K. My 06 Viper--also with an MSRP north of $90K is worth about $58K. The eagerly anticipated 08 Viper had a production run of around 1300 units--there are now about 400 still on dealer lots and my friend paid $92 for one and has it for sale for $73K. The factory is sitting on a bunch cause Dealers won't accept.The much desired Z06s are now in the mid 60s new.

GM---don't screw up or else you will have these Vs sitting once again just like you did on the STS-Vs and Gen1 CTS-Vs and the 100K XLR-Vs (one of which I bought new for 77K)

CIWS
10-06-08, 10:01 PM
GM---don't screw up or else you will have these Vs sitting once again just like you did on the STS-Vs and Gen1 CTS-Vs and the 100K XLR-Vs (one of which I bought new for 77K)

70K would be the high end, not 70K+

Cadillac didn't have any problem selling Gen 1 CTS-Vs, there were still people looking for them after they were all sold off the lots new. STS and XLR-Vs were apparently priced too high new vs demand for the cars. But then they weren't produced at near the numbers even the CTS-Vs were.

Caddyscat
10-07-08, 12:40 AM
who says Bimmers have a high resale?
I thought the Caddy website says $59,025
Looks like youre not very good at making investments?

Jpjr
10-07-08, 06:57 AM
i think $59.9k MSRP is the right price.

a 20% premium for an upgraded drivetrain and body kit is market, especially since most of these parts will be spread out amongst the corvette, camaro, cts-coupe, cts-wagon, and who knows what else.

GM needs to price this car to a profit, but they do not need to over-price the car like they have done with sts and xlr. that was clearly not a winning sales formula. the residual values tell the story.

Mixdoctor
10-07-08, 12:02 PM
One magazine had the exact $59,025 price and estimated about $64-65K loaded. So I would say that is the price that GM seems to have set thus far.

rayainsw
10-07-08, 12:53 PM
One magazine had the exact $59,025 price and estimated about $64-65K loaded. So I would say that is the price that GM seems to have set thus far.

What magazine?
Thanks....

Mixdoctor
10-07-08, 02:32 PM
I believe it was Motor Trend. Here is the online articlehttp://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0811_2009_cadillac_cts-v_first_test/specs.html It may not be the exact price but I think $59,950 is an odd "estimated" price.

rayainsw
10-07-08, 03:33 PM
I believe it was Motor Trend. Here is the online articlehttp://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0811_2009_cadillac_cts-v_first_test/specs.html It may not be the exact price but I think $59,950 is an odd "estimated" price.

$59,025 + $970 "Dealer Freight Charge" would
bring the MSRP bottom line to $59,995.
And GM initially priced the 2008 G8 GT at $29,995.
Including Freight...

Certainly possible ...
- Ray
Hope we do see official pricing 'soon'.......

Bigron
10-07-08, 04:41 PM
I have a V on order, but after losing 1/3 of my savings in the last 2 weeks, my only hope is that GM does not do something dumb like price this car at 70K plus.

How bad is the car market? I have a low mileage, pristine 06 M5 which fully loaded had an MSRP of over $98K. I can't get a sniff on it at $55K. My 06 Viper--also with an MSRP north of $90K is worth about $58K. The eagerly anticipated 08 Viper had a production run of around 1300 units--there are now about 400 still on dealer lots and my friend paid $92 for one and has it for sale for $73K. The factory is sitting on a bunch cause Dealers won't accept.The much desired Z06s are now in the mid 60s new.

More info on the M5 my dad is looking at an 06 right now

Jpjr
10-08-08, 12:34 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5060371/corvette-zr1-production-halted-possibly-canceled

At this point it is an ugly rumor, but says GM will remark the ZR1 as a Cadillac.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1885803

If this goes unsubstantiated by morning this post should be removed IMO, but I thought posting it at jalopnik was fairly relevant.

Jpjr
10-08-08, 12:39 AM
Now it's on autoblog... they are saying not true.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/07/gm-on-zr1-cancellation-rumor-not-true/

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-08-08, 02:26 AM
Lets wait and see on this one... It's not out of the question for execs to lie these days to keep stock prices up. When they hit the showroom floor then I would say this rumor is debunked... Until then I'm not holding my breath.

CIWS
10-08-08, 09:20 AM
I would never believe that rumor based on the fact they are selling every one of the ZR1s when they leave the plant, with people waiting in line for them.

thebigjimsho
10-13-08, 05:13 PM
I saw 2 ZR1s last week, 1 at a specialty dealer in Santa Cruz and 1 on I-880 in San Jose...