: What do you guys think?

svtbolt2001
06-18-08, 10:44 PM
I recently located and put a deposit on an 07 Silver/ebony 9K miles for 31K. I am pretty stoked to have found such a smokin deal on this car which I have wanted for about 2 years. I am however a little concerned about the overall decision.

My wife and I are about to start working on our first child and are trimming some of the budget fat. We currently have a 23 foot ski boat which we are selling and a F250 Diesel (Modded of course) which my parents are buying. We have a considerable amoutn of equity in the truck and will be breaking even on the boat (which is about all most people do). I guess my question for the home owners out there that own sedans is do you thin I will regret selling my truck (15 - 19 MPG) for a V. We bth want a boat again but it may be 5 years before our kids can really enjoy it. By then the truck with have more than 140K miles on it and depreciate greatly, not to mention the 4.60 diesel it takes. I know the V's are not the most fuel efficient, but I expect 19-23 depending on driving styles and traffic conditions. BTW, I just sold my C5 convertible. Another part of the variable is my wife also drives a sedan (Acura TL type S)

So is anyone else out there home owners with sedans only?

lilred
06-18-08, 10:55 PM
I've got a 2000 Lightning (saw your username) and a 2006 CTS-V. If you are going to worry about gas mileage, look elsewhere. I am averaging 14-15 mpg mixed driving and for the most part don't hot rod it...much. Other than that it's the perfect family sedan for my family.

mschlott
06-18-08, 11:01 PM
Sounds like a great deal. You sound like you are going the same route that I am. With 2 kids and less time to play with my old toy, a 1970 442 W-30, gave it up along with my 2000 honda accord to get a car I can drive every day like my honda but take off from a light like my 442. The kids miss the 442 but I think they will like the V more. I gave up my boat just before my son was born. He is 9 now so I may be looking to replace it soon. Family can shift prioritys around a little, but the V should fit in just fine.

mike

randycsvt
06-18-08, 11:35 PM
I'll get 22-25 mpg on my drive to and from work when driving slower and avoiding fast accelerating.

I get single digits to 12mpg on the weekends tearing around town.

This leads to a combined avg of 17-18mpg.

The V sounds like a great car for your situation.

heavymetals
06-18-08, 11:47 PM
If you get bit by the mod bug your DOOMED.

CTSV_510
06-19-08, 12:03 AM

:yeah: If you plan on hanging around here, plan on spending a bit more on top of that $31k.

BTW, that is a GREAT deal for an '07!

You can always find a truck down the line to tow your future boat.

Good luck "working on your first child" ;)

rlj5
06-19-08, 02:18 AM

Looks like a good deal on the '07,
you'll need what you saved for the Mods & then some.
I bought an '05 less than 2 years ago with no intentions to due any serious mods & looked what happened to me.
Mod Hell really is . Just like heavymetals says "Doooomed"

Good Luck with the new ride, You'll love it

Max-Q
06-19-08, 02:52 AM
First of all, great deal on an 07.

To answer your question, I am a homeowner with two young boys. Back a few years ago we were in the same situation as you. I sold my truck and donated my boat to the American Cancer Society. My wife owned a 2005 STi and I bought a 2006 Evo IX MR. We were able to survive just fine with the two smaller sedans but there were always those times I wished I had my truck. I finally sold the Evo and bought an Escalade and couldn't be happier. It gave me the room I needed to haul people or anything else I needed.

You will be the only one who can truly know if you will be able to handle two sedans. As far as hauling kids the V is great. We load the family into the V and go everywhere. It has plenty of backseat room and a large trunk and remember the seats do fold down flat.

I say just buy the V and borrow the truck from the parents when you need to do a weekend project. There you will have the best of both worlds.

heavymetals
06-19-08, 04:07 AM
I can almost see it now.

Your parents are gonna comment on how you should have bought a more reliable car as your continually borrowing the truck and you seem to be working on the V all the time............

Then your explaining to the kids about the benefits of a public education.......

JK!

But when you buy a V you have no idea of what your getting yourself into. :eek:

urbanski
06-19-08, 06:31 AM
you can get an 05 for 21 and bank the 10K
my car gets 20mpg driven gently

BBD
06-19-08, 09:27 AM
I have 3 kids and a dog, I was driving a Mini Cooper S before I bought the V and before my third child was born. When we do not want to take the Suburban and save about 2 miles per gallon in gas (about the difference between the two cars) the back seat of the V fits one Car Seat, one Booster Seat, and my oldest in the middle, you can not ask for more. Like mentioned above the trunk is pretty good size so you can do day trips with no worries. The car is still a blast to drive so you compromise stating to your wife that you will give up the sporty two door cars and get the family sedan.......with a devil under the hood!!!!

Of course I do have the Suburban so if needed I can remove the third seat and put down the back seats and then I am able to fit 20 sheets of sheet rock and still close the rear cargo doors and not have the rear end dragging on the ground! But $115 dollars to fill the tank does not always feel the best.

JD03Cobra
06-19-08, 04:32 PM
I've got 3 little kids and so far the V has worked out great. I have been very happy with mine. I'm averaging 13.6 mph in the city which kinda blows. Especially since my Dodge Big Horn with a Hemi is averaging 15.7.

I try to stay away from this site because of the mod addiction...I've been close to having a cam or maggie installed 4 or 5 times...lol.

FYI...After market shifter and Skip Shift is mandatory.