: balancer bolt

stoveguyy
06-18-08, 02:25 PM
the bolt is torqued pretty tight. 275lbs i think? i had mine off when i pulled the front cover. i am not sure how tight i got it. the balancer is pressed on so i dont see it ever falling off. someone said it makes the oil pump work. what if the bolt was removed? just for sake of argument. would the oil pump still function?

dkozloski
06-18-08, 03:26 PM
The oil pump drive is not keyed and depends on the balancer bolt squeeze to turn it. If you loosen the balancer bolt the engine fails in short order.

Ranger
06-18-08, 05:04 PM
It IS very tight. I seem to recall it is 300 lb/ft of torque or better.

jeffrsmith
06-18-08, 05:24 PM
The manual states

Crankshaft Balancer Bolt

First pass 37 lb ft

Final pass +120 degrees

stoveguyy
06-18-08, 10:57 PM
i was curious as to how the oil pump is driven. i work at a company that makes pumps. we make units that apply epoxies and silicones. we also use gerotor pumps which are very similar to oil pumps. i have not seen an exploded view of the oil pump and i did not remove my oil pump when i had the front cover off.

tateos
06-19-08, 09:14 PM
To get the harmonic balancer bolt OFF, after 10 years, was EXTREMELY difficult for me - I used a pipe on the end of a 2 foot breaker bar, but to put back on following the 37 plus 120 directions was easy - so easy, in fact, that I removed it and re-tightened, just to be sure I did it correctly. It didn't feel like even 100 ft lbs, but maybe I don't know my own strength? Getting the balancer to break loose from the crank was also very difficult - I bent a 3 jaw puller doing it, but again, re-installation with the correct tool was very easy

jeffrsmith
06-19-08, 11:10 PM
Could it be that it is so hard to remove due to the thread lock they put on at the factory?

I was able to get mine off with my impact wrench with no problems. I wasn't looking forwarding to trying to get the bolt out based on Tateos experience outlined in his HG thread. I even procured a five foot pipe, just in case i needed it.

tateos
06-20-08, 01:08 AM
My impact wrench wouldn't do it. It is a really nice Ingersoll Rand one, but I have a small air compressor. I was not aware they used thread lock on the bolt at the factory - I did not see any evidence

jeffrsmith
06-20-08, 06:57 PM
I could be mistaken about the threadlock on the caddy - but I have found it on every other car that I have had occasion to remove the crank bolt, in fact when I needed to remove the crank bolt from my neighbors Honda (timing belt job) the impact wouldn't budge it - I had to resort to the 5" pipe, sounded like the bolt broke when it finally came loose - it was totally covered with threadlocker.

My impact is a relatively heavy duty Blue Point (bought it off eBay for $35.00), I have a 30 gal 5 hp compressor worked like a champ.

jeffrsmith
08-27-08, 08:39 PM
Tateos - What did you use to hold the crank while you were torquing the balancer bolt? I used a harmonic balancer installation tool to press the balancer on and now I need to torque it and I can't seem to figure a reasonable way to lock down the crank while doing this? I am really not interested in buying any more "single use" tools, especially if there are other ways to do this.

mikelawson
08-28-08, 12:09 AM
I struggled with the first one I did, but I tried the starter trick and it has worked perfectly every time I have tried it. I was very skeptical, but if you put a breaker bar on the bolt and rest it (the breaker bar) on the a-arm and apply pressure against it while someone hits the starter switch, it will take the bolt out everytime. Sounds wacky, but guaranteed to work.

Mike.

tateos
08-28-08, 02:09 PM
I struggled with the first one I did, but I tried the starter trick and it has worked perfectly every time I have tried it. I was very skeptical, but if you put a breaker bar on the bolt and rest it (the breaker bar) on the a-arm and apply pressure against it while someone hits the starter switch, it will take the bolt out everytime. Sounds wacky, but guaranteed to work.

Mike.
Right, Mike. I should have done that, but I forgot until it was too late.

jeffrsmith
08-28-08, 08:29 PM
I got mine off - I need to how did you hold the the balancer or the flywheel in order to get the torque right when you put it back on?

tateos
08-28-08, 08:46 PM
I got mine off - I need to how did you hold the the balancer or the flywheel in order to get the torque right when you put it back on?

I used the same bolt in the flywheel though the starter hole in the block as I used to remove it

jeffrsmith
08-28-08, 10:04 PM
Thanks Richard, that's what I was looking for.

tateos
08-29-08, 01:38 PM
Sure - you can call me at work with any other questions if you want - 877-992-3766 X 516