: Tires

troy123
06-18-08, 01:18 PM
I have a 2006 STS with stock rims. Front tires are 235-50-17 Rear tires are 255-45-17. Can I run 255-45-17 on both rims so I can rotate tires? Or am I stuck with two different tire sizes? Also,any more feedback on the Nexen tires or other tires than the stock Mich's would be great!

Hortaja
06-18-08, 06:07 PM
I just put Bridgstone Serinitys on all 4. 235s all around. I can not be happier. I did my research and they were the best for my needs. I wanted the smoothest quites ride with good wet traction. Perfomance and handeling was the least of my priorities. $800 instaled at Firestone/Bridgestone dealer.

rb92gt
06-18-08, 07:34 PM
It won't look right as the rims are different widths. 255's will bulge on the front narrower rim. In case you didn't know, 255 refers to mm tire width, which are 20mm wider than the 235's.

Onalaska
06-18-08, 08:30 PM
I am running P245ZR45-17 Nexen tires on the front and they are doing fine. I plan on putting them on the back when the OEM 255's wear out. The front rims are smaller than the back and are really not rated fot 255's so I split the difference.

BirdJC
06-19-08, 09:21 AM
I had planned on running 255's in all four corners as well even though I believe the front rims are actually narrower then the rears by .5-1". But "Onalaska" may have a good idea there. But if the rims are different widths you still couldn't rotate them in the traditional way regardless... Tirerack.com is a good place to check out tires and reviews....

Onalaska
06-20-08, 07:32 AM
I don't see any reason why I can't put the 8" rims with P245 tires on the front and the 7.5" rims with the same P245 tires mounted on the back when I rotate them. The 1SG option comes with 8" rims all the way around so 8" rims work on the front. The 1/2" wheel size difference should have minimal effect when using the same tire size on all four wheels.

rb92gt
06-20-08, 10:22 AM
I would't put wider rims up front if I were you. I have the same size 17" rims all the way around with 235's on all, came this way since I only have the luxury package. I bought another 17" rim so I could have a full size spare, actually fits in the wheel well with the cover put on upside down. It was less than $100 on ebay, and looks brand new. You could buy two more rims so that you have all four matching. Many people who put aftermarket wheels on their cadi's sell the stock rims for cheap on ebay. Just my 2 cents. You can get great deals on 4 matching tires... I paid $600 for 4 goodyear responsedge tires a few months ago.

justgreat
06-20-08, 11:39 AM
I just put Bridgstone Serinitys on all 4. 235s all around. I can not be happier. I did my research and they were the best for my needs. I wanted the smoothest quites ride with good wet traction. Perfomance and handeling was the least of my priorities. $800 instaled at Firestone/Bridgestone dealer.

good move putting the same width tires on the front when you changed your rubber. going uptwo sizes on the fronts would have a disastrous effect on wet weather handling, especially at higher speeds....hydroplaning would become much more pronounced. you will lose a little bit of traction in the rear, but that's better than the alternative. one advantage though, with the narrower contact patch in the rear, the fuel economy and traction in the snow will be somewhat improved.

great price...

jackg
06 sts6