: Z06 end links on front only? Also GC questions

Twitch
06-17-08, 04:53 PM
My FG2s are on the way and I'll be ordering a ground control kit soon. Decided to go with 500/550, because the roads here are so bad.

I've read a lot about the end links. But for some reason, I'm under the impression that you only need them in the front. Yeah, I know,,,dumb question :cookoo:

Now for the install. Is everything I need to know in the FAQ? Or are there any tricks I should know? Also, the clunk issue with the GC. Its old and fixed, right?
What size drill bit for the end links?
I know Big Jim had a problem with the end links being too close to the FG2s. I'll check his thread about that.
Randy told me it'll be a b*%ch to line up the end links, so I'm ready for that.
Thanks

Tony

rand49er
06-17-08, 05:03 PM
Z06 endlinks in front only.

15/32" drill bit, as I recall.

And, ronr started a thread in Oct '06 (pretty sure) which augments the FAQ instructions just a little. I thought he did a great job in explaining the steps.

Do you have a press or access to one? I had to use my BFH to do the fronts.

Don't forget the Feffman Fix, too.

Good luck!

Twitch
06-17-08, 09:20 PM
Z06 endlinks in front only.

15/32" drill bit, as I recall.

And, ronr started a thread in Oct '06 (pretty sure) which augments the FAQ instructions just a little. I thought he did a great job in explaining the steps.

Do you have a press or access to one? I had to use my BFH to do the fronts.

Don't forget the Feffman Fix, too.

Good luck!
I'll look for ronrs thread.
"press"? For the springs? Yes I can get one.
What was the Feffman fix? What did it fix?
Guess I'll start searching :helpless:. Got about a month before I need them on for Pocono.
Thanks Randy

rand49er
06-17-08, 09:38 PM
I'll look for ronrs thread.
"press"? For the springs? Yes I can get one.
Guess I'll start searching :helpless:. Got about a month before I need them on for Pocono.
Thanks RandyPress is for the front upper control arm. I used a Big Friggin' Hammer and a piece of pipe ... you'll see. But, yes, you also need a spring compressor (I forgot about that one :banghead:) ... and only for the stock springs ... AutoZone or whoever has 'em to "rent." Don't need it for your 550/500 Eibachs ... they just slip right in. ;)

The Feffman Fix is for the "clunk" the rear shocks make. Two, nice, thick washers on each side got rid of it for me. Your search should find the thread.

Keep in touch here, and we'll steer you through Mod Hell. :lildevil:

Feffman
06-17-08, 09:55 PM
Randy

Randy:

Clunk-Be-Gone for Ground Control rears:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/99150-clunk-gone-ground-control.html

Feff

Twitch
06-17-08, 10:55 PM
Press is for the front upper control arm. I used a Big Friggin' Hammer and a piece of pipe ... you'll see. But, yes, you also need a spring compressor (I forgot about that one :banghead:) ... and only for the stock springs ... AutoZone or whoever has 'em to "rent." Don't need it for your 550/500 Eibachs ... they just slip right in. ;)

The Feffman Fix is for the "clunk" the rear shocks make. Two, nice, thick washers on each side got rid of it for me. Your search should find the thread.

Keep in touch here, and we'll steer you through Mod Hell. :lildevil:

Randy:

Clunk-Be-Gone for Ground Control rears:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/99150-clunk-gone-ground-control.html

Feff

Yeah right. You guys are the cause of MOd Hell :rant2:
J/K

Thanks guys
I wanted to know about the end links so I can make the order.
I'll do a good search in the next couple days. Now I know what to look for.
Good night

thebigjimsho
06-18-08, 12:45 AM
Agreed, two washers on each side work for me.

As for the end links, I never installed the Z06 links. I have the stock ones. What happens is if you run on the track with a lowered V on stock plastic links, you put a lot of stress on those links and they may snap. I've got a half dozen track days on those stock links. But I raise the V when I put on the Hoosiers...a little counterproductive I guess but I'm looking for adjustable links...

Go Celtics!!!:highfive:

Twitch
06-18-08, 06:12 AM
Agreed, two washers on each side work for me.

As for the end links, I never installed the Z06 links. I have the stock ones. What happens is if you run on the track with a lowered V on stock plastic links, you put a lot of stress on those links and they may snap. I've got a half dozen track days on those stock links. But I raise the V when I put on the Hoosiers...a little counterproductive I guess but I'm looking for adjustable links...

Go Celtics!!!:highfive:
No idea if they're any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=021&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=310024257392&rd=1

thebigjimsho
06-18-08, 07:38 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=021&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=310024257392&rd=1
Hmmmm.........

rand49er
06-18-08, 09:14 AM

Geez, those guys are just down the road from me.

Begs the question, what guides you to get the proper adjustment? Do you just make it "snug?"

EDIT: PowerGrid is owned by a former Roush guy. Lotta racing background. Probably good product.

Twitch
06-18-08, 12:16 PM
Geez, those guys are just down the road from me.

Begs the question, what guides you to get the proper adjustment? Do you just make it "snug?"

EDIT: PowerGrid is owned by a former Roush guy. Lotta racing background. Probably good product.
First I thought I was saving some $$$ by only needing two end links. Now you got me thinking about these that are more expensive than four! :mad2:
LOL
I had my eye on them for a while, but didn't know if they were any good. I'd hate to spend the money, and get something that's cheap.

rand49er
06-18-08, 03:31 PM
Just get the regular Z06 ones unless you're gonna do a lot of tracking and REALLY want to tweak every little thing each time you're out.

I'd save the over hundred bucks. On second thought, I'd give it to me. :D

thebigjimsho
06-18-08, 06:37 PM
I still have my Z06 links. I had been leery of installing them because of the drilling involved. I'd like to go back to stock eventually...

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
06-19-08, 09:04 AM
Z06 endlinks in stock. $23.00 each

Twitch
06-19-08, 09:13 AM
Z06 endlinks in stock. $23.00 each
Yup, I'll be calling you soon. I also need one lug nut, if you sell them like that.

thebigjimsho
06-19-08, 10:30 AM
I also need one lug nut, if you sell them like that.Sounds like a personal problem...

rand49er
06-19-08, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a personal problem...Yeah, they usually come in pairs. :rolleyes:

Twitch
06-19-08, 11:50 AM
Yeah, they usually come in pairs. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a personal problem...

:crybaby:

thebigjimsho
06-19-08, 01:25 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=021&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=310024257392&rd=1I'm still thinking about buying these. But, between this and heavy's fire extinguisher mount, that's close to $300 on money I wasn't thinking of spending right now...

Twitch
06-19-08, 04:50 PM
I'm still thinking about buying these. But, between this and heavy's fire extinguisher mount, that's close to $300 on money I wasn't thinking of spending right now...
I know what you mean. I really didn't want to buy the FG2s.
No need to rush. The end links have been on ebay a few months, and they have others. Get them when your ready.

Twitch
07-01-08, 12:38 PM
Ground conrol is on the way. I ordered 500/550. Was hoping to do the install 4th of July weekend, but the nuckleheads didn't send them out till Friday. :mad2:

I asked them about the Feffman fix. They assured me that was an old problem, and I wouldn't need any washers. Anybody buy them recently, and can conferm what they told me? I'll have the washers ready anyway. While I'm putting them in, with the car in the air, can I tell if I need them? Or is it something you only feel when your driving?
Can I do one side at a time in the rear, or do I have to lower the whole cradle and do both sides before raising it up again?
Sucks that I have the FG2s, but cant put them in yet,,,lol
Thanks

Tony

thebigjimsho
07-01-08, 12:45 PM
Did the people at GC sound really with it? I would still add 1 washer per side if you feel AT ALL uncomfortable...

Twitch
07-01-08, 02:10 PM
Did the people at GC sound really with it? I would still add 1 washer per side if you feel AT ALL uncomfortable...
At this point, I really can't picture where it goes. I'll have a better idea when I have the car apart. I guess its one of those things that can't hurt if you do it.
And no, I didn't get the impression they knew a whole lot about our cars.
Thanks Jim, Imma do the washers anyway.

Feffman
07-01-08, 02:44 PM
Tony:

You can do them one side at a time. Call me at (314) 249-3770 if you get hung up over the weekend.

Feff

Twitch
07-01-08, 05:55 PM
Tony:

You can do them one side at a time. Call me at (314) 249-3770 if you get hung up over the weekend.

Feff

GC kit's not coming till Monday. Your number is stored though.
Thanks Mark :highfive:

Tony

rand49er
07-01-08, 09:17 PM
Tony, yeah, Mark's right, you can do one side at a time. Also, just leave the back-seat/back-cushion assembly out till you have a chance to drive it. If it clunks, then it's really easy to do the Feffman Fix. If it doesn't, you haven't lost anything 'cause you'd have to put the rear seat in anyway.

Why can't you do the FG2s at the same time again? :hmm:

Twitch
07-02-08, 01:48 AM
Tony, yeah, Mark's right, you can do one side at a time. Also, just leave the back-seat/back-cushion assembly out till you have a chance to drive it. If it clunks, then it's really easy to do the Feffman Fix. If it doesn't, you haven't lost anything 'cause you'd have to put the rear seat in anyway.

Why can't you do the FG2s at the same time again? :hmm:
Oh no, I was bitchin cuz my GC kit is late. Wanted to do it this weekend, but they didn't send it Friday (I ordered it Tuesday).
I wish I could do something with the FG2s, but I can't till I get the GC, cuz its the same work.
As long as its ready by July 20 for Pocono.

Twitch
07-07-08, 06:59 PM
GC kit came in today. That company is a joke, but I'll bitch later.
They told me the "Feffman fix" has been addresed and I wont need to add washers.
There's no parts list, so it took me a while to figure out what's what.
Does anybody know what this ring is? It's about 2 1/4 OD. They call it a urathane spacer. I didn't see a picture of it in the FAQ. According to the (really $hitty) directions I got from GC, it goes right where the Feffman washers go. I'm hoping this fixes the clunk.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/IMG00040.jpg

BTW I ordered 500/550, but they sent 550/600. No big deal, but it would have been nice if they called and told me they didn't have what I ordered. :tisk:

PS already talked to them, and I have no confidence they know what they're talking about. So I'd rather get my advice here, or just figure it out as I go along.
And we're sure the higher number spring goes in the rear, right?

atdeneve
07-07-08, 07:57 PM
There is another pair of urethane spacers that sit right below the steel washer and retaining nut, however (in comparison to your picture), it has a much smaller ID, has more of chamfered design, and it says Ground Control on it.

If it's the only piece that you don't recognize from pictures of the early kits, then it's gotta be what they've added in order to get rid of the clunk. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

You have a pair of em, right? What is the thickness of the spacer? Is it a 1/4"? If so, probably their attempt at a solution to the clunk.

The stiffer springs go in the rear. Unless you're going for understeer...

rand49er
07-07-08, 08:27 PM
There is another pair of urethane spacers that sit right below the steel washer and retaining nut, however (in comparison to your picture), it has a much smaller ID, has more of chamfered design, and it says Ground Control on it.

If it's the only piece that you don't recognize from pictures of the early kits, then it's gotta be what they've added in order to get rid of the clunk. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

You have a pair of em, right? What is the thickness of the spacer? Is it a 1/4"? If so, probably their attempt at a solution to the clunk.

The stiffer springs go in the rear. Unless you're going for understeer...:yeah:

BTW, I answered your PM.

People at GC really are :helpless:.

PISNUOFF
07-07-08, 09:47 PM
At this point, I really can't picture where it goes. I'll have a better idea when I have the car apart. I guess its one of those things that can't hurt if you do it.
And no, I didn't get the impression they knew a whole lot about our cars.
Thanks Jim, Imma do the washers anyway.

Tony:

I installed mine about 3 months ago and the clunk had not been addressed by GC at that time, it still klunks. I'm pretty sure that urethane spacer goes in the front assemblies at the top (top to bottom = 1. nut 2. metal flange 3. urethane spacer 4. casting, etc.). Look at GC installation manual in FAQ and this is on page 28.

Twitch
07-08-08, 01:38 AM
Tony:

I installed mine about 3 months ago and the clunk had not been addressed by GC at that time, it still klunks. I'm pretty sure that urethane spacer goes in the front assemblies at the top (top to bottom = 1. nut 2. metal flange 3. urethane spacer 4. casting, etc.). Look at GC installation manual in FAQ and this is on page 28.
Yes, it goes in the front. My bad. Guess it was just wishfull thinking. lol
Thanks for all the help guys.

Tony

atdeneve
07-08-08, 12:04 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. Knew that looked familiar, but couldn't place it. Forgot about those that fit in from atop the knuckle assembly.

Twitch
07-11-08, 11:31 AM
Finished the install last night. The fronts went on faster than the rear.
The only problem I have, is that the front was too low. Went under to raise them, but the whole sleave turns with the adjusting nut. I held it with my other hand, but still couldn't get it high enough. I'll go under there after work with a channel lock.
Does anybody have a better idea?
I finished after 1am so I only took it around the block. Better test drive tonight, and some pics by the weekend. :D

PS I did loosen the allen bolt.
Thanks

Tony

LUVMY04V
07-11-08, 12:11 PM
Finished the install last night. The fronts went on faster than the rear.
The only problem I have, is that the front was too low. Went under to raise them, but the whole sleave turns with the adjusting nut. I held it with my other hand, but still couldn't get it high enough. I'll go under there after work with a channel lock.
Does anybody have a better idea?
I finished after 1am so I only took it around the block. Better test drive tonight, and some pics by the weekend. :D

PS I did loosen the allen bolt.
Thanks

Tonypics NOW!!!!!! cell phone anything..... :crying2:

Twitch
07-11-08, 12:43 PM
pics NOW!!!!!! cell phone anything..... :crying2:
2am cell phone pics. I'll have some real pics once I adjust the height.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/IMG00044.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/IMG00041.jpg

LUVMY04V
07-11-08, 01:09 PM
doesnt look to low to me???? :sneaky::lildevil:

rand49er
07-11-08, 04:33 PM
... The only problem I have, is that the front was too low. Went under to raise them, but the whole sleave turns with the adjusting nut. I held it with my other hand, but still couldn't get it high enough. ...Same thing has happened to me before. Used two hands, and it worked out just fine.

Yeah, Tony, where're those pics? :D

Twitch
07-11-08, 04:46 PM
Same thing has happened to me before. Used two hands, and it worked out just fine.

Yeah, Tony, where're those pics? :D
My usual Saturday routine: Get breakfast, pull out hose, wash baby V, roll out a chair (weather permitting), look @ baby V and girls walking by.
That's when I'll take those pics.:thumbsup:

OK, I'll use both hands to hold the sleave,,,,but what the heck am I gonna do about turning the wrench :confused:

PISNUOFF
07-11-08, 10:00 PM
My usual Saturday routine: Get breakfast, pull out hose, wash baby V, roll out a chair (weather permitting), look @ baby V and girls walking by.
That's when I'll take those pics.:thumbsup:

OK, I'll use both hands to hold the sleave,,,,but what the heck am I gonna do about turning the wrench :confused:

I had the same problem, have to drop the knuckle down and remove the two bolts at the bottom of the shock to release enough pressure to adjust. We should have told you about adjusting them all the way to the top of the shock the first time. That is about a 1" drop from stock. Sorry, wasn't thinking when replied the other day.

Twitch
07-11-08, 10:32 PM
I had the same problem, have to drop the knuckle down and remove the two bolts at the bottom of the shock to release enough pressure to adjust. We should have told you about adjusting them all the way to the top of the shock the first time. That is about a 1" drop from stock. Sorry, wasn't thinking when replied the other day.

Its cool. The channel lock worked great. Raised it a bit, need a little more. As it is, its slammed, but didn't rub much.
Drinking now, so I'll finish it tomorrow.

rand49er
07-12-08, 07:18 AM
... We should have told you about adjusting them all the way to the top of the shock the first time. That is about a 1" drop from stock. Sorry, wasn't thinking when replied the other day.:yeah:

:hide:

LUVMY04V
07-14-08, 09:14 AM
More Pics!!!!

Twitch
07-14-08, 11:57 AM
More Pics!!!!
Really not happy with how these pics came out. They were taken Saturday. As you can see, the rear was a bit high. I lowered it Sunday and all four corners are just about 27". It was too late to take any pics, and the cars going in to the dealler (motor mounts) tonight. I'll try to take some better pics soon. If not I'll post some good ones in the picture thread, along with something from Pocono this weekend.

BTW My tires are 255/45, so it would be a little lower with the stock size.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/DSC06199.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/DSC06208.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/DSC06193.jpg

rand49er
07-14-08, 02:48 PM
Nice, Tony! :thumbsup:

Twitch
07-19-08, 08:38 PM
I thought I was in mod hell for a couple days. Got the V back together and I thought I went too far. With the GC, FG2s and Specter bushings, the ride kinda sucked. On the way to the dealer, it was rattling and I got a bit of a whine. But with the new motor mounts etc, it feels like a Caddy again. Baby V feels smooth and really tight over the bumps. Even the exhaust seems quiet, now that you don't feel the rumble under you.
I was on a spirited run last night. Switching from one highway to another, I went around a long, sweeping onramp. Not sure how fast I was going (70/80?) But when I looked at my G meeter, it read .99....WOW. She was on rails. I've done .96 on tighter turns, but didn't think I could do this on such a long turn.

Next project: sound deadening
I have 50 feet of fatmat waiting at home. Almost don't wanna do it cuz the car seems so quiet now lol.
Last week a drove around a bit with the back seats loosly in place, and the side trunk pannels out. I heard all kinds of noise comming from the back. Just those little things back in place made a huge difference. I'm sure the sound deadening will make the V a pleasure to drive on a road trip. I like those long rides quiet. I'll be doing this next week, and will post my results.
Pocono tomorrow!!! Hopefully I'll have some video to put up (if I can figure it out).

Tony

justin311
05-06-09, 02:07 PM

I'm about to do the install and didn't want to start ANOTHER THREAD on GC's. Is it best to adjust them all the way up before install?

Twitch
05-06-09, 06:21 PM
Can't remember how the rear was. But the front is close to the top.

rand49er
05-07-09, 07:25 AM
You'll see it the second you lower the car down onto to the ground if you have it right.

Oh, btw, if you hear a huge clunk when you first drive away, it could be an Eibach settling back into a perch. VERY unnerving the first time that happens! :eek:

justin311
05-07-09, 09:00 AM
Ground controls instructions look like some chicken scratch.

atdeneve
05-07-09, 09:01 AM
For the rears, definitely have the collar/perch at the top of the adjustment range (meaning the rear of the car will be as low as possible in the adjustment range). In all likelihood, you'll probably end up just leaving it there, but if you find you do want to further adjust it, there won't be as much turning required, compared to if you were down at the bottom of the collar.

justin311
05-07-09, 10:38 AM
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/jmj311/IMG00031.jpg

Like this?

PISNUOFF
05-07-09, 12:00 PM
Yes, like that for the front. You have the rear one adjusted to the highest setting in that pic.

justin311
05-07-09, 12:18 PM
So come down a bit in the back?

Buck02
05-07-09, 12:26 PM
Is there a right up on the Z06 end Links?

Twitch
05-07-09, 12:32 PM
Is there a right up on the Z06 end Links?
Not much to write about. What do you need to know?

rand49er
05-07-09, 12:48 PM
Is there a right up on the Z06 end Links?Here it is: PITA.

Seriously, you'll need a 15/32" drill bit to drill out the holes in the lower control arm, and it seriously is a PITA.

Buck02
05-07-09, 12:51 PM
Well what is the purpose of it and do they help?
What is the part number to order them?
And i hear there is something to drill and were to drill?

Sorry for the questions but i just bought a V with a maggie on it and i want to mod it and but im new to the tricks and mods of this car so i have been reading and searching for months.

Thank you for the Help.

Im actually working on a Programmer on the side for the cts-v. Im a Gas and Diesel calibrator for Edge Products and i have all the routines from the PCM I need to build a Tuner. I will do some custom tunes from efi live then Flash them into the tuner.
I Helped with the superchips tuner back in the day on the V project.

Twitch
05-07-09, 02:41 PM
Looks like Buck might be my new best friend. Hook your fellow Maggied brothers up. Especially the ones with the rich tune :D

The Z06 endlinks are shorter and stronger. You put them on, when you lower your car. The stocker is like a twig, and may break.
As for the drilling, you have to make the hole bigger on the sway bar and lower control arm.

Tony

mpunklil
05-07-09, 02:48 PM
Hey guys, I'll let you know how the Powergrid adjustable endlinks are. I already have them, will be installing them soon. Just got my diff in last night. The Powergrids look nice though, I like how they tell you how to adjust them as well

rjoffe
05-11-09, 06:12 AM
Hey guys, I'll let you know how the Powergrid adjustable endlinks are. I already have them, will be installing them soon. Just got my diff in last night. The Powergrids look nice though, I like how they tell you how to adjust them as well

I'm interested in those as well, please post some pics.

Are you running stock suspension, or GC ?

Twitch
05-11-09, 06:39 AM
I might look into adjustable endlinks also. Getting tired of the stupid clunk from the sway bar hitting the shock. Was messing with them yesterday. Hotchkis never sent me the collars, but I'm ready to put the stock bar on if I have to go to the trouble of removing everything.

thebigjimsho
05-16-09, 01:11 AM

I'm interested in those as well, please post some pics.

Are you running stock suspension, or GC ?
If you can find the right type joints, you could make your own endlinks for a fraction of the powergrids. However, I have them on my V and they're nice. A little noisy but not too bad...

rjoffe
05-16-09, 10:46 AM
Jim,

You have the powerlinks on your car, or home made ones? About 6 months ago I tried to find the same parts as the endlinks from powerlinks are made of and struck out, plenty of other brands types.

mpunklil
05-16-09, 01:48 PM
I snapped my Powerlinks in the front last night, apparently even if they are adjustable, then they are still too long. gotta call em up and see if they will swap for the z06 links. i dont see why they wouldnt, the links were never road driven. it was such a horrific sound when i lowered her off the jack stands *SNAP.SNAP*...."shit!" Tryed it out anyways because i figured maybe it was just something settling and didnt know they were snapped, and the stability control FLIPPED out along w/ ABS. Pulled her back in the garage and saw them snapped

rjoffe
05-16-09, 05:01 PM
Pics pretty please :)

thebigjimsho
05-16-09, 07:41 PM
I snapped my Powerlinks in the front last night, apparently even if they are adjustable, then they are still too long. gotta call em up and see if they will swap for the z06 links. i dont see why they wouldnt, the links were never road driven. it was such a horrific sound when i lowered her off the jack stands *SNAP.SNAP*...."shit!" Tryed it out anyways because i figured maybe it was just something settling and didnt know they were snapped, and the stability control FLIPPED out along w/ ABS. Pulled her back in the garage and saw them snapped
They are a little long but nothing a little grinding down shouldn't hurt...

rjoffe
05-16-09, 08:25 PM
Jim, you talking about grinding down the threaded rod a bit ?

thebigjimsho
05-17-09, 01:18 PM
Jim, you talking about grinding down the threaded rod a bit ?
Yeah, don't see why that wouldn't work...

mpunklil
05-20-09, 10:04 AM
Ok, after two days of EXPLAINING to the owner of Powergrid (Chip is his name) why the endlinks snapped, he decided to sell me another pair of vette links at "his cost" of $130 plus next day air shipping which then comes out to the same cost. Thanks?? Great product in my opinion, not sure WHY they snapped other than the fact they are too long, yet he doesnt want to take ANY responsibility. What kind of customer service is that? He technically should have swapped them out for me. Not ask me 80 questions WHY they snapped, and make me send a bunch of pictures. He claimed that the only way they could have snapped is if they snagged something. They did NOT snag anything, and in turn he basically challenged my mechanical ability. I am not happy with him. If it was a large company, there would have been no questions asked and they would have just swapped them out for what I needed. All I did was get the car off jack stands and they shit their pants. So now I'm going to be $460+ deep just on endlinks. What if it was actually a faulty product? He denied that even being the case. None the less, I have to get them from him...supply and demand, he has them and I need them NOW. Prick.

Bueller
05-20-09, 10:16 AM
You should have called Luke. I don't recall what I paid but I think it was right around that price for the Z06 links.

Let us know how it goes once you install the shorter ones.

rand49er
05-20-09, 10:25 AM
Back on Oct 2, '06, Luke charged me $22.61 each for two Z06 endlinks (PN 15288535). With freight, it was $53 even to my door. :shhh:

Btw, they're still on the car and doing just fine.

lollygagger8
05-20-09, 10:36 AM
Randy is right.....15/32" drill bit size. I didn't think it was very hard though. Just make sure you keep the drill straight!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/148074-z06-sway-link-collar-install-rotor.html

mpunklil
05-20-09, 11:09 AM
You should have called Luke. I don't recall what I paid but I think it was right around that price for the Z06 links.

Let us know how it goes once you install the shorter ones.

NOT adjustable!

Bueller
05-20-09, 11:41 AM
Gotcha.

I thought you were abandoning the adjustable ones because the broke and he was sending you just regular vette ones. My bad.

Twitch
05-20-09, 01:49 PM
Took off my front Hotchkis Friday. Got tired of it clanking around every few months. I'll look into extending it before I put it back on.

rjoffe
05-20-09, 02:10 PM
mpunklil,

What exactly snapped? Did both ends snap on each side, or only one end? Are there any salvageable ends ?

Ron

mpunklil
05-20-09, 03:27 PM
mpunklil,

What exactly snapped? Did both ends snap on each side, or only one end? Are there any salvageable ends ?

Ron

maybe this will help. clicky clicky on the attachment. both sides did this

Twitch
05-20-09, 03:43 PM
Ok, after two days of EXPLAINING to the owner of Powergrid (Chip is his name) why the endlinks snapped, he decided to sell me another pair of vette links at "his cost" of $130 plus next day air shipping which then comes out to the same cost. Thanks?? Great product in my opinion, not sure WHY they snapped other than the fact they are too long, yet he doesnt want to take ANY responsibility. What kind of customer service is that? He technically should have swapped them out for me. Not ask me 80 questions WHY they snapped, and make me send a bunch of pictures. He claimed that the only way they could have snapped is if they snagged something. They did NOT snag anything, and in turn he basically challenged my mechanical ability. I am not happy with him. If it was a large company, there would have been no questions asked and they would have just swapped them out for what I needed. All I did was get the car off jack stands and they shit their pants. So now I'm going to be $460+ deep just on endlinks. What if it was actually a faulty product? He denied that even being the case. None the less, I have to get them from him...supply and demand, he has them and I need them NOW. Prick.
Double check everything before you put the new ones in. I had my stock endlinks on for a while with the car lowered, and they held up. Even did a track day. So it might not be just the length.

lollygagger8
05-20-09, 03:56 PM
I attributed my stock ones breaking (ball joint popped out) due to them moving too far side to side

*this was after the hotchkis sway install - before I got the collars*

mpunklil
05-20-09, 05:38 PM
my hotchkis is newer and pre-collared

rjoffe
05-20-09, 06:08 PM
mpunklil,

Thanks for the pic, very nice failure mode. It doesn't look like the vette ones could be more then 3/8" shorter then these, unless they are using a different end unit.

Does this mean you can put two halves back together and have one functional spare (although a bit long for your use)?

Can you please take a pic of the new ones when the come in so we can compare the vette versus v from powerlink?

Thanks,

Ron

mpunklil
05-20-09, 08:26 PM
yeah ill take a pic to compare the two. i can use the broken fronts as spare ball links for the rear in case one of them wears out? probably no reason to though. Im more pissed off that the OWNER would not back his product up. I didnt technically do anything wrong. I dont know how much shorter exactly the endlinks HAVE to be, but at least I tried and did get the Powergrids which were technically shorter than the stocks. People have used stocks w/ lowering springs, so it shouldnt have been such a large issue that these would have snapped. Wouldnt you as a seller just send these back to the manufacturer to get the difference in money back for a failed product? Instead the consumer has to dig even deeper in his pockets because nobody can come up w/ an exact specification. All anybody has come up w/ is that you gotta use z06 links. How do any of you know that the z06 is the correct length as well? Yeah it may fit better, but you could all be preloading your bars in the wrong direction. I dunno, im too picky i guess

rjoffe
05-20-09, 08:39 PM
Thanks for being picky, the rest of us are learning :)

mpunklil
05-20-09, 09:26 PM
hahaha, learning from my wallet :P

rjoffe
05-22-09, 12:17 PM
I'll buy you a beer to help keep that wallet full. You need to make it out here for V-day :)

mpunklil
05-22-09, 12:40 PM
Jesus, it'll take more than a beer to make it to V-Day, try a plane ticket and having my car shipped lol. Im on the west coast :(

rjoffe
05-22-09, 12:50 PM
road trip ?

mpunklil
05-22-09, 12:51 PM
eeek, im trying to keep the miles OFF of the V lol. It has depreciated in value so damn much over the last year! Bought it for 30k, now its worth maybe 22k...mods dont count at the dealer!