: MSD Plug wires

WoodShoe
06-17-08, 09:18 AM
Do these actually fit? If so, why am I wasting my time and money buying OEM plug wires which only seem to last 1 season.

http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/store/Cadillac-Seville_product_156333415.html#

Submariner409
06-17-08, 09:27 AM
What car? What engine? What year? How many miles?

ACDelco wires should last at least as long as the plugs in a N*....100,000 miles. What symptoms do you have that would lead you to believe that you need new plug wires? ACDelco only.......MSD has caused problems on Northstars in this forum in the past.

From the link MSD picture it appears you have a pre-2000 Northstar, and if so, are the present wires connected to the correct coil terminals and plugs? Your engine uses a waste spark system, so each coil terminal/plug is critical.

Click on the diagram and scroll in.

codewize
06-17-08, 09:41 AM
Yes, if you're only getting one season out of plug wires (on any car) you have other problems.

OE Delco plug wires should last for years, and as stated on a N* at least 100k

WoodShoe
06-17-08, 12:15 PM
97 STS, 110'000 miles on it. Ive had the car for 5 years. This is my 3rd set of plug wires. Not exactly new plugs every season, but I guess I was just trying to make a point. The plugs are in the right order. It ran fine when I put them in.

What kind of problems were the MSD wires causing? And what kind of issue could exacerbate the plug wires going bad?

Would be nice if this car ever tripped the missfire sensor, so I could tell which cylinder it was without taking it to the stealership. Its so useless, might as well not even be there. I've had the car missing like crazy before without tripping any codes.

Submariner409
06-17-08, 02:50 PM
Members have had problems with aftermarket wires misfiring and also problems with spurious EMI, but MSD wires are generally pretty well shielded. We use them exclusively on our Olds 455 boat engines and have no problems with GPS or VHF 2-way radio.

Other than radical heat exposure or flood, modern spark plug wires should be good for the life of the plugs, at very least. There are far more cars running around with OEM plug wires than aftermarket. (Granny is satisfied. Grandson is always trying to make things better.)

and, as you say, curious there are no misfire codes setting.

Edahall
06-17-08, 08:38 PM
I have a custom set of MSD 8.5mm wires on my 1993 Allante with the Northstar engine. I had problems with the engine bucking when going up hills. I looked further into the situation and opening up the hood at night revealed a light show. These Delco spark plug wires had 60k miles on them and looked practically brand new but they were leaking. Anyways, I decided to make my own custom spark plug wires using MSD wires sold in a roll and reusing the OEM boots and connectors. The bucking disappeared and I have not had any EMI issues.

Here's a picture of these beautiful spark plug wires. I'll have to take another picture of them installed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1030968-1.jpg

Submariner409
06-17-08, 09:54 PM
Your post is telling: You took the time to create a set of fitted wires instead of using a generic engine set. You are one in ten thousand. Very few know that you can go to a BIG engine parts catalog (www.pawengineparts.com (http://www.pawengineparts.com)) and literally assemble wires from scratch. We're a "I want it now" society, so the DIY urge is slowly slipping away.

Well done. (but, and this is a big "but", there are those who have had problems with aftermarket wires. Too much documentation to say other....), and I'm still mystified that the DELCO wires seem to have caused problems.

WoodShoe
06-17-08, 10:25 PM
I didnt know you could rip the stock boots appart like that and put new wires in them. Looks like thats what ill be doing. Thanx for pix. :thumbsup:

codewize
06-17-08, 11:33 PM
I like the Coil on Plug idea myself :stirpot:

Edahall
06-18-08, 12:22 AM
Your post is telling: You took the time to create a set of fitted wires instead of using a generic engine set. You are one in ten thousand. Very few know that you can go to a BIG engine parts catalog (www.pawengineparts.com (http://www.pawengineparts.com)) and literally assemble wires from scratch. We're a "I want it now" society, so the DIY urge is slowly slipping away.

Well done. (but, and this is a big "but", there are those who have had problems with aftermarket wires. Too much documentation to say other....), and I'm still mystified that the DELCO wires seem to have caused problems.

Well there's no doubt in my mind that these MSD wires cured those driveability problems I was experiencing but on the other hand, the OEM Delco's had 60k miles on them so it's an unfair comparison. However, if I open the wires up, the Delco's seem very cheap compared to the MSD's. Whether or not that translates to making the engine run better is an unknown until many more miles down the road.

Edahall
06-18-08, 12:26 AM
I didnt know you could rip the stock boots appart like that and put new wires in them. Looks like thats what ill be doing. Thanx for pix. :thumbsup:

Good luck!!!

I even doubted that I would be able to pull this off. I asked on another forum and the responses were not too positive but I decided to try anyways. I do have to say that it will test your patience and your ability to think outside the box.

WoodShoe
06-18-08, 09:40 AM
Good luck!!!

I even doubted that I would be able to pull this off. I asked on another forum and the responses were not too positive but I decided to try anyways. I do have to say that it will test your patience and your ability to think outside the box.

I still have my old set of wires in the box, so Im not worried about wrecking them. Any advice before I get going on this. Did you pry off the stock terminals (snap plug grips) from the wires once you pulled the boots off, or did you buy new ones?

Edahall
06-18-08, 12:08 PM
Yes I did reuse the stock terminals by carefully prying the old wires out. Be sure to buy the MSD crimping tool. It's about $6 and will facilitate in making the new crimps. Another piece of advice is to measure twice and cut once.

stngh8r
06-30-08, 07:42 PM
Do these actually fit? If so, why am I wasting my time and money buying OEM plug wires which only seem to last 1 season.

http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/store/Cadillac-Seville_product_156333415.html#

Yea, they will fit, but the ad is deceiving. That is not a pre cut set, it is a universal kit, which means some assembly required.

After looking at all my options, I actually ended going with this set (knowing I would have to build them myself).

My Findings on N* Plug Wire Options:
-parts store brand 7mm wires, which I considered inferior to factory replacement AC Delco, ran about $50-80.
-AC Delco's were ~$166 at most of the local parts stores and $114 from Rock, but then you have shipping and the wait for the parts.
-Magnecor wires $177-200+ depending on which of the three choices you pick.
-MSD kit that you posted $91 and was on the shelf at the local AutoZone.

My decision was based on this: I considered the wires at or above factory quality (simply due to their name recognition in racing etc..), they were cheaper than factory and readily available to me.

I was a little worried about the task of putting the wires together myself, but after some pondering, decided to go for it.

Eric

Edit: The kit/part # in the OP, includes the MSD mini stripper/crimper and thankfully some extra terminals and boots should you mess up on one or two. It was time consuming, but after I done a couple, I could put together a wire in about 6min. I simply used the original wires for my measure of length.

WoodShoe
07-05-08, 10:29 AM
I ended up buying a Taylor universal v8 kit for 70$ (im sure you guys get them cheaper down in the us&a) ripped apart my OEW wires, put it all back together. (it was a B*tch pushing the 8mm wires though the stock boots btw) and now she runs great. The whole project didnt take more than a couple of hours while sipping on some beer (real canadian beer ;) ) I would recommend anyone do this instead of buying AcDecrap

Edahall
07-05-08, 02:03 PM
For my custom made MSD's, I spent a total of $39 for the wire and another $6 for the crimp tool. I reused the stock boots and terminals.

eldorado1
07-05-08, 02:28 PM
How did you reuse the terminals? I thought those were a one time crimp deal?

Edahall
07-05-08, 07:27 PM
How did you reuse the terminals? I thought those were a one time crimp deal?

1. Use a flat bladed screw driver and ice pick to open up the crimp and remove the old wire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1030941.jpg

2. This terminal is now ready to accept the new wire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1030949.jpg

3. Use a crimper tool to crimp the used terminal on the new wire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1030963.jpg

4. This is how a finished crimp looks like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/rhedahl/P1030962.jpg

WoodShoe
07-05-08, 08:29 PM
I couldnt find MSD wire for sale anywhere around here. I would have had to order it. Thats why I just ended up grabbing the taylors off the shelf. Once you get the hang of uncrimping the stock terminals, it goes pretty easy. I just used your average electrical crimper, which worked just fine..

Edahall
07-07-08, 01:04 AM
I couldnt find MSD wire for sale anywhere around here. I would have had to order it. Thats why I just ended up grabbing the taylors off the shelf. Once you get the hang of uncrimping the stock terminals, it goes pretty easy. I just used your average electrical crimper, which worked just fine..

Did you notice any difference in how the engine ran after the new wires? My old wires had about 60k miles on them and after the new wires were installed, it eliminated the hickuping while going up hills. It also improved idle and it definitely has better power. I have not noticed any difference in fuel economy.

WoodShoe
07-08-08, 10:27 AM
Did you notice any difference in how the engine ran after the new wires? My old wires had about 60k miles on them and after the new wires were installed, it eliminated the hickuping while going up hills. It also improved idle and it definitely has better power. I have not noticed any difference in fuel economy.

I noticed a huge difference. My car had a horrible idle, and a big missfire under load. My fuel millage hasnt really improved, even though I changed out 3 bad o2 sensors, and those plugwires.

Bit of a thread jack here, but i need to rant...
There is a lot of things on this car that are a pain in my a$$holes;
ie. that last o2 sensor that you have to drop the engine for..... The power steering pump gave me the rage while changing it... I just had to change the water pump, which looks like it might need some tool to take on and off easily (which i obviously didnt have; therefore another pain in my a$$) the rear calipers are a dumb effin design. Not to mention the engine bay is hot as hell under normal operating temps....lets not forget the amount of oil it eats, and those sweet headgaskets it loves to mangle:banghead:

Its about time for a new car, and even though we have had cadillacs for years.... i think this is going to be my last one..

Edahall
07-08-08, 02:58 PM
It looks like you had the same exactly symptoms of mine with A/C Delco wires. My wires looked practically brand new but the engine ran horribly. I opened up the Delco wires and they look very cheap compared to the MSD's.

Fire and Ice
07-11-08, 12:15 PM
I personally recommend Nology wires. I've done a lot of my own 'personal' testing on plug wires trying to find the best performing wire and these are the only ones I've ever seen that actually increase performance on the vehicle through. They are a little pricey, but well worth the $$$, IMO.

stngh8r
07-15-08, 03:28 PM
www.magnecor.com/