: Air ride compressor not working?

250motorsportz
06-16-08, 11:03 PM
Ok, I know this topic has been brought up in other threads but I wanted to know if anyone has found an actual answer for this problem.

When I used to start up my truck or even put it on ACC the compressor would make a noise and the air shocks would fill up raising the rear of the truck to stay level with the front. But now it still makes the noise but the shocks don't fill up and the rear sags when I have people sitting in the 3rd row, have sh*t in the back, or if I'm hauling my 20ft flat deck. I know with the flat deck the rear will be a little lower but this is EXTREMELY low, damn close to rubbing with stock wheels and tires!

Could it be just the fuse? Just the compressor? Shocks? or the whole system?

EXTodd
06-17-08, 12:58 AM
Ok, I know this topic has been brought up in other threads but I wanted to know if anyone has found an actual answer for this problem.

When I used to start up my truck or even put it on ACC the compressor would make a noise and the air shocks would fill up raising the rear of the truck to stay level with the front. But now it still makes the noise but the shocks don't fill up and the rear sags when I have people sitting in the 3rd row, have sh*t in the back, or if I'm hauling my 20ft flat deck. I know with the flat deck the rear will be a little lower but this is EXTREMELY low, damn close to rubbing with stock wheels and tires!

Could it be just the fuse? Just the compressor? Shocks? or the whole system?

My problem is the compressor is not turning on. If you hear the compressor and you are sagging then it sounds like your air bags are the problem.

250motorsportz
06-17-08, 12:59 AM
I hear a noise like something is filling up but the truck doesn't level out. I dont wanna take it to the dealership because they will charge a sh*t load just to look at it since its out of warranty.

EXTodd
06-17-08, 02:08 AM
I hear a noise like something is filling up but the truck doesn't level out. I dont wanna take it to the dealership because they will charge a sh*t load just to look at it since its out of warranty.

Check out jcwhitney.com for air suspension parts.

dmarlow
06-19-08, 01:30 AM
If you hear the pump running when the ignition is on then you may have a leaking line to the air shocks due to fatigue or rubbing or a ruptured bladder (no not your's) on one of the air shocks.

With the ignition on (engine off) and air pump running see if you hear air escaping from the rear shock area. If not take a spray bottle of water and add a squirt of dish washing soap in it. Spray the lines from the compressor and the rubber boots of the shocks. If you see bubbles then that is your leaking point.

You may have a bad/weak compressor, but I would suspect a leaking line or ruptured boot on a shock.

If you can't find the problem and it being out of warranty I would take it to a reputable mechanic in your area for diagnostics/repair. Not the dealer! May save you some bucks that you can use for fuel!

Good luck and let us know what you find.

250motorsportz
06-19-08, 03:21 AM
Ok, today I payed some close attention to it and found out that the compressor is working but there is a leak. How do I know? Well, I watched it work when the compressor was working, the rear end was leveling out and when the compressor shut off, I heard a air leak somewhere and noticed that the truck was VERY VERY slowly moving back down. So I think you're right, I do have a leak somewhere. I will take it to a mechanic sometime next week. Also my passenger side door is f**kd i'll start up a new thread with pics tomorrow.

robmick
02-19-10, 03:11 PM
I have a leak, I can hear it. It's not the shocks, though. I hear, and feel, air coming out of the area where the compressor sits. Any ideas?
Is the compressor just bad? Could it leak?

sk7
02-19-10, 05:37 PM
You are lucky the compressor is the cheapest part to replace in the system, give it a good spray of water with a bit of dish soap mixed in and you will find the source of the leak real quick. Could be as simple as the outlet hose being unplugged or broken!

robmick
03-19-10, 04:27 PM
I replaced the compressor, and discovered the problem. The air drier isn't sealed very well against the compressor. The new O-ring helps that, and the compressor is in there and running fine. One broken Torx screw, but the unit is holding up fine.

Now, the back end rides high, like it used to. How do I lower that???

cardan123
06-19-14, 02:11 PM
Where is the air suspension compressor located and do you have to do anything from the inside or is it all outside Thanks John

the cadillac man
06-19-14, 02:36 PM
I replaced the compressor, and discovered the problem. The air drier isn't sealed very well against the compressor. The new O-ring helps that, and the compressor is in there and running fine. One broken Torx screw, but the unit is holding up fine. Now, the back end rides high, like it used to. How do I lower that???

Mod the lift/dive sensors in the back to get the desired ride hight

----------

Where is the air suspension compressor located and do you have to do anything from the inside or is it all outside Thanks John

Under left rear quater panel and there is only three sensors inside the truck
Steering wheel position sensor in the steering column
The yaw/lateral sensor under the center console

Keep in mind that those sensors do mutliple duty for different systems in the truck
Abs
Stablitrac
Suspension
I want think the air bag is tied into it also but not sure(the second sensor)

boricua4eva821
07-14-14, 11:49 AM
here is a trick I learned there are hydrolic shops located pretty much every where have them replicate your hoses and pay for the heavy duty hose I put them in myself And the hoses I installed are much more durable to extreme conditions like weather. I paid a lot less than is listed in automotive stores just a tip for all you Cadillac guys this also works for radiator hoses and ac hoses. remember use your resources in your area and these shops really like the business and give you a premium product at half the price...

the cadillac man
07-14-14, 12:26 PM
here is a trick I learned there are hydrolic shops located pretty much every where have them replicate your hoses and pay for the heavy duty hose I put them in myself And the hoses I installed are much more durable to extreme conditions like weather. I paid a lot less than is listed in automotive stores just a tip for all you Cadillac guys this also works for radiator hoses and ac hoses. remember use your resources in your area and these shops really like the business and give you a premium product at half the price...

That's a great idea
I am needing to replace the coolant hoses in my car soon so I think I will do that