: Shot in the Dark..... Ford Question

DopeStar 156
06-16-08, 09:16 PM
Was wondering if anyone knew if the 3.0L Duratec V6 in my '99 Taurus was a Flex Fuel engine. A couple sources say the FFV version of the Duratec came out in the late 90's, and others say 2000 was the first model year. Does anyone know for sure?

dkozloski
06-16-08, 09:27 PM
Look for a tag on the gas filler door. It ought to say. There also should be a calibration sticker on the door jam.

Night Wolf
06-17-08, 12:49 AM
the FFV Ford's have a green leaf badge on the back of them

http://z.about.com/d/alternativefuels/1/7/S/5/-/-/08Escape_hybridbadge.JPG

gary88
06-17-08, 01:18 AM
I know I've seen that badge on the side of plenty of Tauruses (Tauri?)

Playdrv4me
06-17-08, 01:27 AM
Rick is correct, all the earliest flexible fuel vehicles Ford produced had the leaf logo on the fenders along with the letters "FFV" which back then meant nothing to absolutely anyone... Still it was there. Im sure it can be converted easily, but I wouldnt just go throwing ethanol in there as-is. '96 was still before I remember them doing that, and in fact that's the first year of the new body Taurus and that I recall it began with the second generation of that body with the updated headlights.

DopeStar 156
06-17-08, 01:53 AM
Yeah mine just says "24V DOHC" on the fender. I figured it might have always been FFV and they just started advertising it later in the 2000 model year. I dunno why I'm even bringing this up since New Jersey doesn't sell E85 anyway. The car's average fuel economy is 24.7 MPG according to my math which seems about right for that car......

dkozloski
06-17-08, 02:28 AM
The FFV hardware includes a very expensive sensor that determines the composition of the fuel and electronics to change the calibration of the fuel metering system to match plus some different fuel metering components. In the Chevy version there is a very high failure rate on the fuel grade sensor.

Night Wolf
06-17-08, 10:46 AM
since the 90's both the Taurus and the Ranger have had FFV versions.... I know the Rangers have the green leaf on the back... truth is, most owners are not even aware their car is any different then the others.... if you are looking for a cheap and reliable FFV, check out late 90's Rager/Taurus, just browse ebay and look for the geen leaf badge, listing will probably make no mention in it either.

the 3.0 Duratec in the Taurus, and the 3.0 in the Ranger are some super reliable engines.

DopeStar 156
06-17-08, 11:06 AM
the 3.0 Duratec in the Taurus, and the 3.0 in the Ranger are some super reliable engines.

I've found this to be true, with the exception of the all to common IAC motor and the transmission which we just replaced not too long ago. Still though, it's a hell of a car......

Destroyer
06-17-08, 10:07 PM
Fords suck, deal with it!. I'd rather push a Northstar with a blown H/G than drive a Ford. :cookoo::D

DopeStar 156
06-18-08, 01:13 AM
Fords suck, deal with it!. I'd rather push a Northstar with a blown H/G than drive a Ford. :cookoo::D

Says the guy with the Mustang and the Mark VIII. Hahaha.

Night Wolf
06-18-08, 05:48 AM
the 4.6 is one heck of an engine.... I have not had a single problem engine-wise with my car... all the issues have been chassis/hardware/minor electrical stuff that the previous owner so graciously left for me.... now that it's all worked out tho, it's one heck of a car.

Sure 210hp isn't much in todays world, even smaller engines closing in on the 275ft-lbs torque... but that is the beatuty of it, the engine makes decent power for it's size, therefor it is not stressed, gets very resonable gas mileage, good emmissions, really smooth, parts are cheap and it's easy to work on.... it's not a high power, high RPM engine, but it shows the benefits of that in what it returns.

The 3.0 V6 shares the same traits as well.

I've really come a long way to really respect these simple, lower output designs... something to be said for an engine that flat out last a long time without asking for much in return.

Destroyer
06-18-08, 09:03 AM
Rick, I was just kidding. Dope caught it. Look at what I'm driving!:D

Destroyer
06-18-08, 09:10 AM
the 4.6 is one heck of an engine.... I have not had a single problem engine-wise with my car... all the issues have been chassis/hardware/minor electrical stuff that the previous owner so graciously left for me.... now that it's all worked out tho, it's one heck of a car.

Sure 210hp isn't much in todays world, even smaller engines closing in on the 275ft-lbs torque... but that is the beatuty of it, the engine makes decent power for it's size, therefor it is not stressed, gets very resonable gas mileage, good emmissions, really smooth, parts are cheap and it's easy to work on.... it's not a high power, high RPM engine, but it shows the benefits of that in what it returns.

The 3.0 V6 shares the same traits as well.

I've really come a long way to really respect these simple, lower output designs... something to be said for an engine that flat out last a long time without asking for much in return.Ford makes great engines. The 4.6 and the older 5.0 were reliable/solid hardware. You are right, there is something to be said for reliability, smoothness and being easy to work on. These are traits that many cars nowadays do not have. Many cars that are now legendary are that way because of the reliability and ease of maintenance. Look at anything with a slant 6 Dodge. Nothing with that motor was high performance or the least bit exciting yet to this day people have nothing but good things to say about them. Look at the old Mercedes diesel cars, bulletproof drivetrains that have gone over 1 million miles without rebuilding. This is how a company builds a reputation. This is where Cadillac has let me down with the Northstars.

DopeStar 156
06-18-08, 10:02 AM

Fords are like fat girls: Ok to ride until your friends see......

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-18-08, 12:16 PM
Fords are like fat girls: Ok to ride until your friends see......

Hahahahahaha! Awesome! :thumbsup:

dkozloski
06-18-08, 02:45 PM
The 3.0L Ford V6 is bullet proof.

Destroyer
06-18-08, 03:21 PM
The 3.0L Ford V6 is bullet proof.I had a 3.0 V6 in my '95 Ranger years ago and it was reliable but I heard they had H/G issues. Is that right?.

dkozloski
06-18-08, 04:36 PM
I had a 3.0 V6 in my '95 Ranger years ago and it was reliable but I heard they had H/G issues. Is that right?.
I've never seen one personally that wasn't runnig like there was no tomorrow.

DopeStar 156
06-19-08, 02:08 AM
I've been beating mine for almost a year now and it just gets back up and goes, "Is that all you got?"

Night Wolf
06-19-08, 08:20 AM

oh, I know.... I was just making a statement anyway :)

Night Wolf
06-19-08, 08:26 AM
I had a 3.0 V6 in my '95 Ranger years ago and it was reliable but I heard they had H/G issues. Is that right?.

The 3.8 is the engine with headgasket and head problems.... I'd steer clear of anything with that in it, short for a Thunderbird SC, cause it's badassness makes up for the engine.

Tho I do know some people with the 3.8 that have been fine, but I also know of people that had nothing but problems.... that was the big issue with early 90's FWD Contentials. Tortoise and Ranger tho, get one with the 3.0 and you've got a solid vehicle. A 90's era 3.0 2wd 5spd manual Ranger is about one of the most simple, and most reliable useful means of transportation these days.

DopeStar 156
06-19-08, 12:12 PM
My Taurus......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Ford%20Taurus%20SE/taurus6.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Ford%20Taurus%20SE/taurus7.jpg

They don't make interiors like this anymore...... flat grey.... Haha.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Ford%20Taurus%20SE/taurus5.jpg

Nine Inch Nails sticker, makes the stereo louder.....
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Ford%20Taurus%20SE/taurus2.jpg

People like to hit me, I dunno.....
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Ford%20Taurus%20SE/taurus1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Ford%20Taurus%20SE/taurus4.jpg

I think this is gum, haha.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Ford%20Taurus%20SE/taurus3.jpg

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-19-08, 07:17 PM
Ahh, I hate the look of that generation Taurus. I really like the look of the early 90's ones, but after that they got all roundy.

DopeStar 156
06-20-08, 01:26 AM
Yeah I know, there's a strange circular theme to this car, everything is a freakin' circle....

dkozloski
06-20-08, 02:06 AM
One of them Torso cars.

Night Wolf
06-20-08, 07:06 AM
It's funny, when that generation Taurus came out, I was hooked on it as a kid, I thought they looked so cool and considered it a sports car, I remember when they were using a red one in X-files for the whole scene, I was like, one day I'd like to have one of those.

Then my drivers ed car (already had my license, wanted the insurance reduction) was a '98.... I was so disapointed with that car, I didn't like any part of it... everything felt cheap and it wasn't interesting to drive or anything... maybe cause it was a basic drivers ed car, I dunno... but I remember getting in even my '89 Olds 88 at the time, it was a far better car in all regards.... the 3.0 was fine tho, I remember liking the engine, it's just everything else I didn't care for.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-20-08, 09:52 AM
I rode in a friend's 98 Sable last night. The cabin was surprisingly spacious.

DopeStar 156
06-20-08, 11:51 AM
I rode in a friend's 98 Sable last night. The cabin was surprisingly spacious.

Not for nothing, it's a pretty comfortable car. I did a two hour drive to the shore last weekend in it, with the ECC on, and the power lumbar support right in the curve in my back and I was pretty satisfied. It rides pretty nicely for a car in this class and it'll prolly ride even nicer once I get around to replacing the busted ass front end and struts.......

Destroyer
06-20-08, 04:53 PM
I rented one this body style awhile back. I thought it was comfy, I didn't have any desire to own one but I thought it was a great rental car. I remember wondering how the hell does one install an aftermarket radio in one?. I liked the flip up center console.

orconn
06-20-08, 06:11 PM
One of them Torso cars.

Come on guys! Can't you recognise the work of dispeptic Japanese toy designer when you see one ......... but how did he get into Ford's design studio and more importantly from a management assessment position did his design get into production!

DopeStar 156
06-20-08, 10:07 PM
You guys are jerks! I like my Taurus! Hahaha.

dkozloski
06-20-08, 10:09 PM
You guys are jerks! I like my Taurus! Hahaha.
Ain't no accountin' for taste.

Destroyer
06-20-08, 11:45 PM
You guys are jerks! I like my Taurus! Hahaha.I must have missed the whole Taurus thing, what happened to the malibu?.;)

AlBundy
06-21-08, 12:32 AM
Personally, I thought the Ford VIPs made a bet between themselves on how many people would actually buy that fugly car.(no offense).

Night Wolf
06-21-08, 06:59 AM
I remember wondering how the hell does one install an aftermarket radio in one?.

Using a kit like this

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/lifestyle/2000/h142F134010p.jpg

Destroyer
06-21-08, 07:15 AM
Using a kit like this

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/lifestyle/2000/h142F134010p.jpg
Aha!:alchi:

DopeStar 156
06-21-08, 04:10 PM
I must have missed the whole Taurus thing, what happened to the malibu?.;)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Chevrolet%20Malibu%20LS/malibucrash1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Chevrolet%20Malibu%20LS/malibucrash2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Chevrolet%20Malibu%20LS/malibucrash3.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1999%20Chevrolet%20Malibu%20LS/malibucrash4.jpg

A little over a year ago, some hot-rod earlybird special attendee and her Audi took me out in the middle of a left hand turn. Unlike Jesda I was profusely bleeding from the head and had no idea where/who I was. My head hit the window. That very next day after getting outta the hospital I was given the "Happy Accident" gift that is my Taurus......

Night Wolf
06-21-08, 06:24 PM
Wow.... I never heard about that... and over a year!?!? it seemed like a couple months ago you were posting pictures of it....

So now that you've driven both Ford and GM's most family sedan bread and butter cars... how about a full comparison?

DopeStar 156
06-21-08, 08:08 PM
Wow.... I never heard about that... and over a year!?!? it seemed like a couple months ago you were posting pictures of it....

So now that you've driven both Ford and GM's most family sedan bread and butter cars... how about a full comparison?

Lemme put on my best Motor Trend voice..... Ahem....

"In 1999 the average family needs an average family sedan and Detroit's big two answered. Today we've compared the all new 1999 Ford Taurus SE and the 1999 Chevy Malibu LS. How did the two stack up? We put our experts to the test.

If you're looking to get to the office before your boss catches you late for the third time, the Malibu is the preferred choice. The 3100 V6 in the Malibu LS has a pleasant rumble from the tailpipe and a quick response off the line. There's no doubt in our minds that this zippy sedan has the spirit of its Chevelle ancestors within it. The interior feels sporty but also cramped. This kind if interior seems more fit in a Monte Carlo than in a family sedan and doesn't provide much moving around room for taller people, not to mention the droll looking grey plastic that adornes the interior of this car. Even the LS's faux woodgrain adds enough class to fit in a medicine dropper. The exterior styling however is a hit with the lifted rear suspension and slanted front that states this car will show you nothing but taillights.

Ford's second installment of the Taurus answers to the basic needs of the average American family. For a midsize sedan, the interior feels more like that of a Crown Victoria. Plenty of leg room here and with the upgraded SE you get Electronic Climate Control, power lumbar support, and other such amneties as rear seat A/C outlets. The Taurus also offers an optional 6 disc CD changer mounted at the bottom of the flip open center console. The 24 valve DOHC 3.0 V6 is a much better improvement over the standard V6 with better acceleration and low end torque but the transmission is a high revver consuming more fuel in lower gears. The exterior of this car has a rather strange design que with the sloping rear end and hood that makes the car's profile resemble that of a sand dune. The circular motif of this car seems a bit overdone with the rounded lights everywhere, rounded grille opening, rear and side windows. It would appear Ford is trying to emphasize the blue oval with this car since it's covered in ovals. The Taurus also feels a bit bulky when moving and is more prone to body roll when taking corners. Comfortable, but not a performance car.

In summary, the Taurus is roomier and more comfortable, better suited to pack up and take on those long summer trips, but has a tendancy to guzzle gas on the city streets. However for the thrillseeking driver, the more asthetically pleasing Malibu is the choice for performance."

Simply put....
Malibu: Dad's car
Taurus: Mom's car

*Bows*

Night Wolf
06-22-08, 08:17 AM
Cool :cool:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-23-08, 01:30 AM
Quite the review there DS.

DopeStar 156
06-23-08, 03:13 AM