: Tired of my Treo

ahahnu
06-16-08, 07:22 PM
I've had a Treo 650 and 700 for a total of four years. I've been getting tired of it and recently been having annoying software/hardware problems with it. I went to Verizon yesterday, they gave me a new one, the same problem occured today so I brought it right back. It doesn't even connect to my bluetooth.

I don't know where to turn next. I've been leaning towads an i phone, but I'm afraid of the jump to At&t from Verizon. Anyone have one and hate it, or really like it?

gary88
06-16-08, 08:10 PM
I've had my iPhone for almost a year and think it's worth every penny. Not a single problem with at it all, and that really surprises me for such a new product.

Playdrv4me
06-16-08, 08:22 PM
You've heard it once and you'll hear it again, the shitty part about getting an iPhone, no matter what the price is (though it's *extremely* tempting) is that you have to take the network with it. You can buy an UNlocked Gen 1 iPhone that gives you worldwide GSM compatibility, but you have to be very careful about EVER upgrading it again and you won't get all the benefits of the newer version until someone cracks that firmware.

I've had my **Palm** (Windows mobile is trash and it has a lower resolution screen) Sprint Treo 750 for probably a year now and it is the best phone I've ever owned. Yea it may not be the sleekest thing out there but it is incredibly versatile and it even allows me to piggyback onto the 3G network via Bluetooth and connects with *most* bluetooth compatible vehicles.

Unfortunately, you have Verizon, and that is where the praises stop. Verizon has about as reliable a network as Sprint so I don't have any problem there, but their pricing plans and data offerings are the WORST of any carrier out there. This is why I left verizon and I will not go back.

If you're prepared to stick with the network, this is THE time to make the switch to the iPhone.

Brizzal
06-16-08, 10:48 PM
my 650 is a pile of garbage.... im buying the 3g iphone

AMGoff
06-16-08, 11:33 PM
The iPhone, as a mobile device is top-notch... it's really more than just a phone, it's an entire computing platform. I've never had a lick of trouble with it in the past 10 months or so. If you're serious about getting one, then I'd suggest you wait until July when the iPhone 3G comes out along with v2.0 of the iPhone OS... You'll be getting better hardware (3G, GPS, and I believe Wireless-N) and v2.0 of the software is a big step forward as well... most importantly, the inclusion of the App Store and all of the third party applications that come along with it - not to mention the cheaper price. If you can't wait 'til next month to get one and you go get the current iPhone, you'll still be able to upgrade to the v2.0 software... you'll just miss out on the new hardware stuff.

I'm not sure what will happen with the new phone... but if connecting to your laptop for mobile internet is something you need, current "jail-broken" iPhones can be rigged to "piggy-back," as Ian put it... via BT to provide access to the cellular data network. Although.... I'd say it's pretty safe to say that there will be some third-party app available on the App Store that will do such a thing and you'll be more certain that it will work since it will be developed using the iPhone SDK.

As far as AT&T goes... I've had the same number for well over a decade now - first with Cellular One... then Cingular... and now AT&T. I can say wholeheartedly that I've never had a problem with the service... I'm not sure which part of Jersey you're in... but it's been my experience that Cingular/AT&T has always decent coverage pretty much over the entire state. I would just find people in your specific area who have AT&T and ask them how the coverage is.

Either way, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if you go ahead and make the big switch, you won't be disappointed whatsoever with the iPhone itself... and that you might just be surprised by the service through AT&T - especially if you wait for the iPhone 3G.

CadillacGurl
06-17-08, 09:12 AM
I would recommend the Blackberry Curve. That's what I have now and my father has always had Blackberrys + loves them. I'm not a big fan of the iphone keyboard hence I like my keyboard on my Curve. Either way I recommend both since my friends with iphones love them. The only reason I didn't get the iphone cause the iphone didn't have a rebate where the Curve did for $100.00 so I got it for $99.99 instead of $199.99.

RunningOnEMT
06-17-08, 10:12 AM
i just got the blackberry world edition 8380 love it!

AMGoff
06-17-08, 10:37 AM
It's always hard to put a price on a superior product....

Lowtrac
06-17-08, 11:42 AM
I've been a BlackBerry guy for some time now. Started with the 7290, then 7100, 8700, then Perl. I currently use a Curve 8310. It sounds obvious, but you need to base your decision off the devices intended usage. I work in a technical field in an enterprise that runs Microsoft Exchange and is very email reliant. I also do network and server management which the BlackBerry handles very well with the appropriate software. The BlackBerry is the best choice for me. We run a BlackBerry Enterprise Server in house. If you're a "normal" user who needs a phone more than a PDA, then a BlackBerry may not work as well for you. If you do a lot of media stuff on your device, then the iPhone is tempting. I'm not an Apple fan, but I freely admit that the iPhone is a sexy device. I just advocate that people make an informed decision and not jump into something because it's trendy.

AMGoff
06-17-08, 09:04 PM
It sounds obvious, but you need to base your decision off the devices intended usage. I work in a technical field in an enterprise that runs Microsoft Exchange and is very email reliant.

Fortunately, come July 11th the iPhone will offer full Exchange support, including push email, contacts, etc.... However... that won't really be of any extra benefit for me since I've had no problems connecting to my Exchange mail via POP access.

With the new software and hardware, Apple has pretty much given everyone all the things they've been complaining about . So with the exception of AT&T related hatred... people will have very little excuses left not to get one.