: Service Engine light: how to pull codes

c5rose
06-16-08, 06:52 PM
Hi, newbie here.

My '04 ESV's Check Engine light just came on. About a week ago, I installed a gas cap with a lock on it. I've been getting a message on my DIC "tighten gas cap."

Coincidence, or is my locking gas cap the culprit?

How can I pull the codes to show up on my DIC where the problem lies? And where can I find a list of codes and their meanings?

Thanks.

DLE
06-17-08, 12:44 PM
Its your gas cap! Those aftermarket locking caps can leak pressure, therefore causes the check engine light to come on... Your computer reads these problems...

Best way to pull the codes is take your truck to a local autopart stores and have them run the codes.. Most stores like Shucks, NAPA, Autozone, etc will do it for free. Then scan it with a tool called OBD II Scanner, which plugs underneath your steering wheel. there is a plug for it..

Either go get a different gas cap, or use your original one. Have the autopart store erase the error code and the check engine light will go away.

Or, you can put your original cap back on, and take off your negative battery cable for 30 seconds to a minute, and put it back on and it will reset and light will go off..

Guyz1996deville
06-17-08, 02:55 PM
save yourself the money. People will just crawl under your truck and punch the tank and take your fuel. I would rather have them syphon the gas that is for sure...