: Navi replacement - aftermarket or otherwise

ichpen
06-16-08, 01:48 PM
Hopefully not repeating existing topics but I've yet to see widespread opinions on aftermarket audio/video systems given the obvious lackluster performance of our CTS-V Navi units.

Looking to upgrade and/or completely replace the Navi unit with something... useful. Speakers will be upgraded eventually but right now I want a Navi system that works, mp3/ipod capability, bluetooth is optional.

What I've gleaned from this forums is the following:

1. A straight replacement with a double din Navi such as Avic will disable DIC functions and on star.
2. There is a GM harness (GMAHSC) that permits installation of aftermarket audio whilst retaining chimes/park assist and on star functions.
3. Ipod connectors are widespread but in my case I don't have a factory XM receiver. Instead I have an aftermarket Terk XMD1000 receiver/tuner that currently plugs straight into the Navi. This means I cannot use your standard IPOD XM harness from Nucleus and Neo.
4. I don't mind sacrificing DIC functions if necessary.
5. I am under a budget so cannot quite justify putting down 3k of a

Questions:

1. Who has outright replaced their Navi with a Pioneer or Alpine system?
2. Has anyone simply added an additional HU to the Navi using the GM harness? Is this even possible?
3. Do any existing Navi's currently support DIC for GM vehicles?

Thoughts are appreciated.

heavymetals
06-16-08, 03:28 PM
Do a search.

What you want to do is not cheap.

Your better off (if on a budget) to supplement the system instead of replacing it.

Netsloth
06-16-08, 04:00 PM
What I'm planning is to do the prep work of relocating the board for the DIC and cutting the cage to have an AVIC installed. The directions are in the FAQ. I'll have the shop do the rest. I want the DIC information, but I also want bluetooth and Ipod integration, not to mention touch-screen.

My understanding is that they can do in the AVIC install and retain all of the functionality of the stock HU.

ichpen
06-17-08, 10:30 AM
What I'm planning is to do the prep work of relocating the board for the DIC and cutting the cage to have an AVIC installed. The directions are in the FAQ. I'll have the shop do the rest. I want the DIC information, but I also want bluetooth and Ipod integration, not to mention touch-screen.

My understanding is that they can do in the AVIC install and retain all of the functionality of the stock HU.

That sounds interesting. Is there a right up on this? I'm curious as to what sort of programming is required on the AVIC to accept this.

Also, is the cage not big enough for the Avic?

ichpen
06-17-08, 10:47 AM
Do a search.

What you want to do is not cheap.

Your better off (if on a budget) to supplement the system instead of replacing it.

I'm good with supplementing i.e. adding a secondary HU or some sort of hub if possible, and retaining the Navi. The FAQ only shows schematics for adding a secondary HU to a CTS (non Navi). Search so far has not revealed much. I know there's a guy who did a complete overhaul of the Navi/speakers etc, but that's a step too far for me. If anyone's managed 'supplementing' please leave your feedback.

Also to clarify, I am willing to spend. When I say budget I'm trying to keep it reasonable. Obviously I'll hit 4 figures with a full blown Avic-like system and will happily pay this if I can somehow retain some of the DIC functions.

Netsloth
06-17-08, 11:10 AM
That sounds interesting. Is there a right up on this? I'm curious as to what sort of programming is required on the AVIC to accept this.

Also, is the cage not big enough for the Avic?

The cage is big enough once the circuit board is moved up in the cage. The writeup is here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/aftermarketradiodic/index.html

ichpen
06-17-08, 11:13 AM
The cage is big enough once the circuit board is moved up in the cage. The writeup is here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/aftermarketradiodic/index.html

Thanks but isn't that a non-Navi unit/cage in the picture or does it matter? The pictures show a DIC screen which I'm sure is something standard on non-Navi CTS's. CTS-V's Navi is the DIC screen so not sure whether the same principles can be applied.

Netsloth
06-17-08, 11:37 AM
You know what? After reading about that neolink a few posts down, I think i'm going to do that instead. The only real reason I wanted to replace the stock HU was for ipod support.

ichpen
06-17-08, 12:59 PM
You know what? After reading about that neolink a few posts down, I think i'm going to do that instead. The only real reason I wanted to replace the stock HU was for ipod support.

Me too and I have a Neo prolink for sale if you want it. Couldn't fit it on mine as I have an aftermarket XM receiver/tuner.

PM me if you want one cheaper than list.

50 4Ever
06-17-08, 02:38 PM
I just had a Pioneer AVIC Z2 put in my '08 Z06. I have front and rear cameras, bluetooth, XM receiver, and XM Traffic. I would imagine they (pioneer) would have a setup that will replace the stock CTS-V NAV. I love it, no peeling buttons, 30GB hard drive to copy CD's to, etc...

ichpen
06-17-08, 02:51 PM
I just had a Pioneer AVIC Z2 put in my '08 Z06. I have front and rear cameras, bluetooth, XM receiver, and XM Traffic. I would imagine they (pioneer) would have a setup that will replace the stock CTS-V NAV. I love it, no peeling buttons, 30GB hard drive to copy CD's to, etc...

Thanks. Did you retain the DIC console/info on your Z06?

50 4Ever
06-17-08, 03:18 PM
Thanks. Did you retain the DIC console/info on your Z06?

Yes, no effect. But they have to add an interface to retain the steering wheel controls (volume +/-. track +/-, and Source selection (AM, FM, XM, Library)).

perfect
06-17-08, 03:33 PM

that sounds awesome!! :bonkers:

Please post some pictures, I think I'll definitely be making the switch if I can retain most of the stock HU's goodies.:cloud9:

ichpen
06-17-08, 03:48 PM
that sounds awesome!! :bonkers:

Please post some pictures, I think I'll definitely be making the switch if I can retain most of the stock HU's goodies.:cloud9:

Likewise, pics speak a thousand word.

ssmith100
06-17-08, 04:09 PM
Your not going to be able to keep all your DIC functions unless you relocate it. The regular CTS DIC won't work in the CTS-V. I tried that already. I have had my factory NAV replaced for over a year now and don't miss anything it offered especially if you add more to it. There are a lot of threads on this subject. One of mine below:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/133152-stereo-complete-new-pics.html

Shane

The Tony Show
06-17-08, 04:56 PM
I don't understand how you can't have an XM receiver- it was standard equipment on every CTS-V (on US models, anyway). Grab an iPod adapter that plugs into the XM receiver and you're good to go.

ichpen
06-17-08, 05:30 PM
I don't understand how you can't have an XM receiver- it was standard equipment on every CTS-V (on US models, anyway). Grab an iPod adapter that plugs into the XM receiver and you're good to go.

Canadian car....

ichpen
06-17-08, 06:25 PM
Your not going to be able to keep all your DIC functions unless you relocate it. The regular CTS DIC won't work in the CTS-V. I tried that already. I have had my factory NAV replaced for over a year now and don't miss anything it offered especially if you add more to it. There are a lot of threads on this subject. One of mine below:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/133152-stereo-complete-new-pics.html

Shane

Good job on this car. I'm not willing to go that far and replace everything but would definitely be interested in the Navi components that you swapped out. What harnesses did you get and were you able to retain steering wheel controls, onstar and park assist?

Also, were any other DIC features retained i.e. doors open, trip/temperature/fuel stats?

BlackStellion
06-17-08, 07:12 PM
Is this what you taking about?
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/lcd-bottom-2.jpg
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/lcd-bottom-1.jpg

perfect
06-17-08, 07:24 PM
how close do your knuckles come to slamming that screen when you power shift into 3rd?

BlackStellion
06-17-08, 08:07 PM
Its not my ride, I just found those pictures searching around.
Not really my style. I'm keeping my Navi; yet what I want is to
Play DVDs and be able to change rewing fast forward and have full funtion
of the it. In addition a nice sound system.
Do any of this changes/upgrades put me out of Warranty??

ichpen
06-18-08, 10:29 AM
how close do your knuckles come to slamming that screen when you power shift into 3rd?

Nice idea but agree that the screen isn't going to last too long unless you forget that you have 1st, 3rd and 5th gears...