: Headlight washer

drjdan
06-16-08, 02:19 AM
I see the little opening for the headlight washers on the inside next to the headlights. Do they pop out when the washing is done? I do not see any openings for water to come out from the flush mounted cover?

Caroutisine
06-16-08, 04:19 AM
I believe that they pop out and wash the lights when you operate the windshield washer, but only when your headlights are on.

BirdJC
06-16-08, 02:28 PM
I believe that they pop out and wash the lights when you operate the windshield washer, but only when your headlights are on.

this is correct... Only complaint I have with this is if you have a clean car and use these at night, you will no longer have a clean car! the fluid runs down the whole side of your front quarter panels....

Hortaja
06-16-08, 06:47 PM
I agree in that it dirties you clean car. Any way to turn these darn things off....?? It's just not needed in south Florida.

ssstealth
06-16-08, 07:53 PM
They come out every 4th windsheild wash.

pjbizjak
06-16-08, 09:49 PM
There's instructions in the manual, I believe you press the windshield washer 5 or 7 times in a row to activate and probably the same thing to deactivate.

Lifer
06-17-08, 12:14 PM
From the "Bible"

Your vehicle may have headlamp washers.
The headlamp washers clear debris from the
headlamp lenses.
The headlamp washers are located to the inside of
the headlamps.
To wash the headlamps, press the washer button
located at the end of the windshield wiper lever. Both
the headlamps and the windshield will be washed.
The headlamps must be on to be washed. If the
headlamps are off, only the windshield will be washed
when the washer button is pressed. If the washer fluid is
low, the headlamp washers will not work.

ssstealth
06-18-08, 01:49 AM
My 2006 "Bible" is worded a little differently...

"To wash the headlamps, press the washer button
located at the end of the windshield wiper lever.
Headlamps will be washed when the washer button is
pressed if two minutes have elapsed since the last
washer button press. If two minutes have not elapsed,
the headlamps will be washed every fourth washer
button press. The headlamps must be on to be washed. If the
headlamps are off, only the windshield will be washed
when the washer button is pressed. If the washer fluid is
low, the headlamp washers will not work."

MARKVIII
06-18-08, 07:53 AM
however it works its a totally useless thing to have..just a gimmick.

BirdJC
06-18-08, 09:57 AM
however it works its a totally useless thing to have..just a gimmick.

yeah for the most part its pretty much just another reason to wash your car again after using them. Maybe in the winter time when an excess of winter road grime builds up it will help out some but thats about it..

TSS
06-18-08, 02:15 PM
this is correct... Only complaint I have with this is if you have a clean car and use these at night, you will no longer have a clean car! the fluid runs down the whole side of your front quarter panels....

No kidding! I had them on my White SRX and hated them. Not only the car, but the side wall of my garage was blue too if I hit the button in there accidentally...in the SRX, it was easy to accidentally hit. Useless feature that caused more annoyance than anything else. Thankfully, my other Caddys don't have it.

ssstealth
06-19-08, 09:47 AM
My only real issue with them was early on when I first bought the car. I was traveling less than 30MPH and had hit the washers... when I saw water spraying up from the front of the hood I thought my car was overheating.

Hortaja
06-19-08, 07:44 PM
I wonder if there is a fuse or somthing we can pull to just turn these washers off.

mlpjlk
07-18-08, 05:50 PM
I have to agree that I do not like Cadillac's design on this feature. It makes a mess. My Volvo S60 T5 has actual wiper blades and does a great job of cleaning the road grime from snow and rain off the lense.... I guess if I was going off road it would be more useful.... We lived in the UK for 3 years and had a BMW 330i and the feature was very helpful during the drizzel that would dry on the hot lenses. The BMW's is a squirt like the Cadillac and not a spray and wipe like Volvo's.

gogmgo
04-14-16, 05:13 AM
Hi to All

I picked up this thread because I was trying to understand why the new CTS-V and ATS-V (US Spec) did not have headlamp washers when the previous generation STS-V (US spec did). I am fascinated by the commentariat on this page regarding the utility of headlamp washers. Outside of North America and Mexico (NAFTA) the rest of the world follows the UN/EU guidelines on car safety requirements. The main differences are (and I will use Europe since Europe is the driving force for better safety regulations)
(1) are amber turn signals (so there is no confusion with brake lights)
(2) rear fog lights (front fog lights are useless)
(3) pedestrian safety measures such as inflatable hoods on all new cars (we obviously don't have pedestrians in the US)
(4) headlamps that can be regulated up and down to reduce glare to oncoming drivers (the reason we American drivers complained about bright HD lights early in the millennium)
(5) and what is not seen but is also vital is that front end crashes are measured differently and therefore the chassis is designed differently - so US spec CTS vs EU spec CTS have a different impact zone at the front. The rest of the world is more concerned with offset crashes; the US with full frontal crashes (guess which type of crash is more common?)
(6) no requirement for 5mph bumpers (add weight and look ugly - the European view is that one should learn to drive and park properly)

And I suppose this is the general conclusion.  Outside of North America drivers are expected to drive and anything that makes driving safer is a bonus. Seeing in the dark ranks up there with wearing glasses if needed. And the bottom line: Western European countries rates of automobile deaths per 100,000 inhabitants; 100,000 cars and 1 billion kilometers driven ALL rank 20-60% better than the good ol US of A. The US ranks at the bottom of the class in terms of vehicular deaths. Just one example should be highlighted because it is humorous to listen to our compatriots who travel to Italy and find the drivers to be "crazy"! In 2013 3,700 people were killed on Italian roads. That year in the US the number was 36,000. By the way, US deaths for 2016 have climbed 8% over 2015. The population of Italy is 60 million - 20% of the US's population. So on a like for like basis 18,500 Italians would have died vs twice that number in the US. And Americans drive more but Americans drive more on highways, the safest roads in the system. Italians do not take the highways to commute; they use them for trips and so spend more of their driving on roads with traffic coming in both directions - the riskiest roads. Furthermore, there are many more motorcycles and mopeds; pedestrians are packed and the cars are all smaller and the speed limits are much higher; and yet we kill ourselves at twice the rate. By the way, Italy has a higher automobile density than Canada and very close to the US (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita). So what gives? What gives is very simple - we have a dated and clueless NHTSA and we have a driving culture that has long ago abdicated the driving.

That is why I find the comments about the headlamp washers so fascinating - this community appears to be more concerned about the "mess" that the washers generate rather than appreciate the fact that they keep the headlamps clean and therefore make it easier to see at night. But I suppose that with our ludicrously unsafe and low speed limits who cares. It appears to be the same issue that American drivers have with brake dust. The European car manufacturers tear their hair out trying to satisfy this weird American desire to not have brake dust on wheels whereas in Europe brake dust is a sign of a hard driving car.

3redlines
04-14-16, 03:03 PM
I think what it is is "we" Americans tend to keep our headlights clean and if the need arises to clean them "we" will do it properly and not just spritz water on them.

(1) It seems some are easily confused

(2) Rear fog lights are useless if you want to go forward

(3) The ultimate solution is to limit the weight of autos and require foam rubber bodies with pedestrian catchers.

(4) I tend to use low beams when I meet traffic

(5) We do offset crash tests. Where have you been?

(6) Didn't know we still had 5mph bumpers. if you think you can hit something at 5mph and sustain no damage with modern autos you are delusional. A 1974 Buick had 5mph bumpers

What "we" Americans don't care for is someone dredging up a 7 year old post in order to deliver a condensing lecture on auto safety and Italian superiority.

On second thought replace "we" with "me personally" because I don't pretend to speak for everyone.

dkozloski
04-14-16, 04:00 PM
When Winston Churchill was informed that the Italians had entered WWII on the side of the Axis Powers he said, "It's only fair, We had them in the last war".

EChas3
04-14-16, 11:18 PM
Support Anarchy!

dkozloski
04-15-16, 02:45 PM
What more needs to be said about a country whose most notable and influential export to the Americas is the Mafia?

kiewee3
04-15-16, 03:55 PM
Someone is salty about an 8 year old thread and decided to revive it. Nothing to see here!

EChas3
04-15-16, 10:06 PM
Someone is salty about an 8 year old thread and decided to revive it. Nothing to see here!

Welcome new members!

carter's_sts
04-15-16, 11:18 PM
Well, I think I'll go buy an affordable, not small POS, Italian car this weekend. Oh wait.

And I disconnected my headlight washers years ago. Have never missed them once, and they are quite clean.

blackonblacklac00
04-16-16, 11:30 AM
Rear fog lights are stupid. Tho I think having the reflective strips in those places don't look bad on some cars like the 08-13 CTS. I actually wanted them for the STS like the euro version until I learned it was fog lights...

KRSTS
04-16-16, 12:30 PM
Rear fog lights are stupid. Tho I think having the reflective strips in those places don't look bad on some cars like the 08-13 CTS. I actually wanted them for the STS like the euro version until I learned it was fog lights...

If you have ever lived in Germany you would have a different opinion. Driving on the autobahn at night in dense fog with porches, mercs and BMWs wizzing by.

Ludacrisvp
04-16-16, 01:48 PM
You've never driven in real fog if you think that rear fog lights are useless.

carter's_sts
04-16-16, 06:20 PM
Seems like both front and back are a good idea. I've only driven in super dense fog once on the highway. It was scary.

I just went slow and kept my flashers on and prayed no one was going to run into me. Literally could only see about 30 feet.

Ludacrisvp
04-17-16, 04:27 PM
I used my rear fogs when driving around Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. The fog had rolled off the lake and the whole town was coated. I feel like it helped me from being rear ended.

EChas3
04-18-16, 08:49 PM
We get lot's of fog in Eastern WI. Today, we had a warm Spring day (70's) but Lake Michigan is 42 at the shoreline. Divers must always be prepared for 39 degrees F at depth.

hiedtechie
05-06-16, 04:04 PM
To share - my passenger side headlamp sprayer is missing a nozzle and so when it activates a near jet stream of fluid sprays up in the air sideways away from the car. Depending upon speed and prevalent wind, this can have the effect of hosing down anyone within a few car lengths behind or to the side.

Post discovery I've not used it for tailgaters but someday it may well be a temptation to do so.

kiewee3
05-06-16, 05:20 PM
Sounds like a feature that needs to be added to my car