: In this thread, Jesda locks himself out of his office and does something stupid.

Jesda
06-15-08, 08:38 PM
Its Sunday and I'm here at the office processing some inventory and shipping some orders. I'm in the building alone, so I have my sub turned up and the AC down to 65 where I like it.

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7494-1/officedoor.jpg
http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7492-1/keys.jpg

Well, I got up to walk down the hall and use the bathroom, and closed the door behind me. I normally don't lock the door, but this time it was locked for some reason. When I returned from the bathroom the door was indeed locked, and my keys and phone and computer were inside. The music was still playing too, quite loudly.

Well, I thought I would pull a Macguyver and unwind a key ring and use it to pick the lock. FAIL.

I thought I would do what this guy did...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uLwuzbfItV4
...and climb over the top (by entering through the storage room next door) and come down through the ceiling, but I was too fat to fit through all the support bars. Plus, I'd have likely broken something from the fall.

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7487-1/ceiling1.jpg
http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7490-1/ceiling2.jpg
Not much room up there to crawl.

I then tried to remove the door frame, but that was installed very well. I couldn't find anything to slip through the mail door either.

I worked up quite a sweat from all the thinking and climbing, and was getting quite frustrated. Inside, "In A Little While" by Amy Grant was playing. The song is about a frustrated person who is comforted by knowing they'd be dead and in heaven soon -- argh!

Anyway, I went back to the storage room and sat down, staring at the wall that separated me from my things. Finally, I kicked the wall. The hole ended up being much bigger than I wanted, and I was able to crawl through on my hands and knees and enter my office.

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7498-1/viewfromstorage.jpg
View from storage room. I put a painting and a flattened cardboard box over it so maintenance wouldn't notice for a while. I now must ponder repair options.

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7496-1/viewfromoffice.jpg
View from my office.

That concludes this very stupid story.

Playdrv4me
06-15-08, 08:43 PM
I can't see the pics yet, but if it's just drywall there are tons of articles on HGTV, ThisOldHouse and other DIY sites about how to easily and cheaply repair drywall damage.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-15-08, 11:24 PM
Haha. One of my friends used to work at a 3M warehouse. He accidentally put the business end of a forklift through one of the walls there. The walls were filled with tiny foam pellets for insulation and they started pouring out. He a pallet of stuff in the way and put the forklift back where it belongs. Three weeks later they had a staff meeting about truth. I was laughing for a good 5 minutes at that one.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-08, 11:52 PM
Haha.

"While most people were out celebrating father's day with their dad...."

dkozloski
06-16-08, 01:07 AM
I used to manage some apartments. One of the tenants, an older guy, was doing housework in the nude. He stepped into the hallway to get the community vacuum cleaner and the door to his apartment locked behind him. The only thing he could find to cover himself was a vacuum cleaner bag so there he was going from door to door trying to find somebody who'd let him in while holding the bag in front of him. Somebody finally called me so I could come down and let him in with my master key. Of course he managed to scare the shit out of a little old lady who thought he was a maniac rapist or something. He was a long time living that down.

AMGoff
06-16-08, 01:09 PM
It's pretty darn easy to pick a 4-6 pin lock... which is probably what that lock was. Not that I encourage such for nefarious purposes... but it's a handy skill set to possess. I have my little "quick pick" tool which makes most standard household/office locks a breeze... but with enough practice, it's pretty easy to pull a "MacGyver" with a paperclip and a small screwdriver/allen wrench - it just takes a little more patience.

dkozloski
06-16-08, 01:22 PM
It's pretty darn easy to pick a 4-6 pin lock... which is probably what that lock was. Not that I encourage such for nefarious purposes... but it's a handy skill set to possess. I have my little "quick pick" tool which makes most standard household/office locks a breeze... but with enough practice, it's pretty easy to pull a "MacGyver" with a paperclip and a small screwdriver/allen wrench - it just takes a little more patience.
How are you with picking locks with hourglass shaped pins or a GM sidebar?

DopeStar 156
06-16-08, 11:35 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me when I worked in an office 2 years ago. Same thing too, alone on a Saturday, keys and phone in office with music blaring. I managed to slip my belt through the mail slot, and fling it over the doorknob. I mimiced a pulley and belt and turned the knob popping the door since it only locks from the outside.

Jesda
06-17-08, 06:06 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me when I worked in an office 2 years ago. Same thing too, alone on a Saturday, keys and phone in office with music blaring. I managed to slip my belt through the mail slot, and fling it over the doorknob. I mimiced a pulley and belt and turned the knob popping the door since it only locks from the outside.

THAT is BRILLIANT! I wear a belt too. I should have thought of that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-17-08, 07:20 PM
THAT is BRILLIANT! I wear a belt too.

Why? You don't need a belt with sweatpants.

Jesda
06-17-08, 07:28 PM
Why? You don't need a belt with sweatpants.

After a while the elastic is like, "Oh, screw this! I give up!"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-17-08, 07:31 PM
Elastic can only take so many Baconators before it gives way and lets the "lake mead" of fat out.

CTSV_Rob
06-17-08, 10:58 PM
:rofl:

DopeStar 156
06-18-08, 01:08 AM
THAT is BRILLIANT! I wear a belt too. I should have thought of that.

Oh I went through all the ideas you did too before that one came to mind. I even went as far as to get into the cieling and crawl around a bit. I just didn't punch any holes through the walls....

RunningOnEMT
06-18-08, 06:19 AM
Haha. One of my friends used to work at a 3M warehouse. He accidentally put the business end of a forklift through one of the walls there. The walls were filled with tiny foam pellets for insulation and they started pouring out. He a pallet of stuff in the way and put the forklift back where it belongs. Three weeks later they had a staff meeting about truth. I was laughing for a good 5 minutes at that one.

you think THAT's BAD? I have a co-worker that put the business end of a forklift through the exterior skin of a brand new railcar because he misjudged the turning radius of the rented offroad forklift

THAT was a lot of paperwork.

Jesda
06-18-08, 07:45 AM
Elastic can only take so many Baconators before it gives way and lets the "lake mead" of fat out.

"When the levee breaks"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-18-08, 10:27 AM
If you're referencing the Led Zeppelin song, that is awesome.

Jesda
06-18-08, 01:59 PM
I basically just ruined the song for everyone. Now when you listen to it, you'll picture a brown man with broken pants.

Spyder
06-18-08, 02:05 PM
Better than a broken man with brown in his pants.

dkozloski
06-18-08, 02:30 PM
you think THAT's BAD? I have a co-worker that put the business end of a forklift through the exterior skin of a brand new railcar because he misjudged the turning radius of the rented offroad forklift

THAT was a lot of paperwork.
After doing a quarter of a million dollars worth of damage to an aircraft with a forklift the operator reported that the problem was that he didn't have a window in his stomach so he could see what he was doing with his head up his ass.