: Window tinting...

JTraik
06-15-08, 04:36 PM
I want to get the windows tinted on my FWB just not sure what percentage transmittance to have done. What are some of the % transmittances that you guys are running on your cars? I would like privacy but I dont want it to be dark enough where I cannot see things outside the windows at night. I am going to disregard state regulations at the moment, thanks.

96Fleetwood
06-15-08, 04:49 PM
I have 15% tint all around, it is not a daily driver so I do not mind the dark.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9521.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9527.jpg

I have to lower the windows when I back into my garage because it is hard to see...but it looks good :thumbsup:

JTraik
06-15-08, 04:57 PM
I don't mind the dark I just want to be able to make out stuff at night, does your 10% allow that? How much did you pay to have all of those windows done?

BTW I think I am going to mimic what you did with that plastic molding that goes along the chrome body panels... with my color of course!

JTraik
06-15-08, 05:06 PM
Oooo new pictures... So it is 15 no 10?

96Fleetwood
06-15-08, 05:24 PM
Oooo new pictures... So it is 15 no 10?

Yep, sorry... it is the wagon that has 10% on the 5 rear windows.

I have 35% on the front windows of the wagon.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/3071000-3071999/3071348_5_full.jpg

I paid $80.00 to tint the Fleetwood in Miami, best deal ever!

I paid $350 to tint the Wagon here in Chicago, not as many tint places here.

Rolex
06-15-08, 09:17 PM
My truck has 5% on the rear windows and 20% on the front. It can be tough to see out of the back at night. You can still see the neighbor's fence through the front. You can't see jack through the back, even in bright daylight. I can have people sitting in the back seat during the day and you can't see them even if you put your face against the glass. :cool2: Not really legal though. :hide:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/P7100160.jpg

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-16-08, 12:30 AM
I think that 15-25 will suit you well. You can still see out nicely, and can see in a tiny bit during the day, but you can't see in at all during night. I put tint on my back windows because I was tired of being a cop magnet when I was carrying 4+ people in my car at night. I did the tint on my car myself. Its easy enough if you know what you are doing. Look up some videos on YouTube. As long as you use lots of water, it is very unlikely that you will have bubbles. I used 15%, which is a little darker than I wanted, but anything lighter came out as having a purple tint instead of that nice smoky tint that comes from the factory.

EcSTSatic
06-16-08, 09:40 AM
Even at 35% I found it uncomfortable to back up in my narrow driveway at night or in shade. I would roll the window down.
IMHO driving in all but the brightest days sucks with tinted windows. However, they cut down on the interior heat and they look sexy. :cool:

State laws (http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/)

Cadillacboy
06-16-08, 02:32 PM
This is what my Fleet looks .As I recall, it should be in the neighbourhood of 35-40 . I like dark windows too but I'm fed up with the rolling the windows down that's why I picked up a lighter choice :thumbsup:

STScadillac
06-16-08, 03:10 PM
I had 20% on my 94 STS and my sister has 20% on her 04 Monte SS and that seems to be right in the ball park for most people not to dark but dark enough to see during the night.

Playdrv4me
06-16-08, 03:30 PM
Yes, 20% is the ideal amount of tint and usually won't get you in any jams with the authorities.

JTraik
06-16-08, 05:22 PM
20% is what I am going to get then... I was quoted for ~$200 for everything but the windshield. This is from a very reputable shop in the area.

EcSTSatic
06-19-08, 01:45 PM
Thought this was an interesting contribution to the discussion. Is this you?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/15/AR2008061501959.html

AMGoff
06-19-08, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to disregard state regulations... I don't know what NY's laws are for such, but I'd make certain what they are and then make even more certain that you're well within them.

You might not care at the moment... but you sure will once you're pulled over a couple times and especially once you rejected at your next inspection.

AMGoff
06-19-08, 05:52 PM
New York State Law Chapter 775, Title III, Article 9, Section 375, Subdivision 12:

12. It shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway or street in
this state any motor vehicle registered in New York state unless such
vehicle be equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used in doors,
windows and windshields. For the purposes of this subdivision, any
device other than a trailer, which is attached to or carried upon a
motor vehicle and which lawfully can be occupied while the motor vehicle
is in motion, shall be considered a part of such motor vehicle.
12-a. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, when driven or
operated upon a public highway, road or street shall be equipped with a
front windshield in a fixed and more or less upright position
constructed of safety glass as defined in subdivision fourteen of this
section and required by subdivisions eleven and twelve hereof. No person
shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent
material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by
law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either
side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat.
(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway,
road or street:
(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or
treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six
inches of the windshield; or
(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of
or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or
treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent; or
(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe,
hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light
transmittance of less than seventy percent; or
(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated
with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy
percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than
seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both
sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a
clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such
vehicle.

I know you said you don't really care for whatever the reason.... but the fact remains that if you put 20% on your windows - you're pretty much asking for trouble. With a limit of only 70%, it's going to be pretty darn obvious that you're running around with 20%.

All I'm trying to say is that no matter how good it may look to you now... it's not going to look nearly as good when you've got a pile of tickets sitting inside... even less so if you can't drive it from a failed inspection.

Believe me... I'm really not trying to rain on your parade - I'm just trying to save you some grief!

gary88
06-19-08, 07:53 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/health/theskinny/blog/debbie_downer.jpg

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-19-08, 08:08 PM
New York Window Tint Law
New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows: No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows: No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW YORK RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors: No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors: Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements: Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements: The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on each tinted window.
Medical Exemption: State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

Wow, New York sucks. I thought IL was anal, but at least we have no limit on rear window tint. I know that factory tint on most cars has to be less than 70%. My mom's Blazer is at least 30% if not lower.

Look at the other regulations part. They require that you put a sticker between the glass and the tint stating that it is legal tint. Stupid.

EDBSO
06-19-08, 08:29 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/edbso/Cad.jpg

25%

AMGoff
06-20-08, 05:03 PM
Wow, New York sucks. I thought IL was anal, but at least we have no limit on rear window tint. I know that factory tint on most cars has to be less than 70%. My mom's Blazer is at least 30% if not lower.

Look at the other regulations part. They require that you put a sticker between the glass and the tint stating that it is legal tint. Stupid.

Pfff... New Jersey is even more "anal".... You're not allowed to have any tint whatsoever on the front windows.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-20-08, 08:41 PM
Thats how it is in IL. I can understand that because it lessens visibility at night. At least we are allowed to have whatever tint % we want on the rear ones.

dkozloski
06-20-08, 08:58 PM
The front side windows in my STS are labeled 70% down in the corner from the factory. In Alaska, anything additional is a violation. If the rear windows are labled MPV anything goes on them.

Rolex
06-22-08, 09:16 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/health/theskinny/blog/debbie_downer.jpg

:haha:

<<waa waah>>