: Question on disconnect front diff.????

BIG SPENDER
06-14-08, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone,
most of you are aware of the increase cost of fuel. I was wondering if the front drive shaft to the front diff was removed, maybe this will help as to less effort to drive the rear wheels. When I had my 03 Avalanche 4X4 it had a smaller gas tank and a smaller engine, it consumed less fuel than my ESV all wheel drive. So if anyone has tried this, could you please let me know if it works????

Thanks

ewill3rd
06-15-08, 10:31 AM
If your truck is an '02 or up the only thing disconnecting the front propshaft will do is destroy the transfar case.
The '02 and up models use a borg-warner transfer case that has an open gearset inside. If the front shaft is removed and the vehicle is placed in gear the truck won't move and the transfer case will over rev and likely explode.
You might get away with it on a '99 which uses a selectable 4WD new venture transfer case, I really honestly wouldn't advise it either way.
The new Escalades are AWD, not selectable 4WD... there is a bit of a difference.

BIG SPENDER
06-16-08, 12:24 AM
What if I inserted just the yoke? into the transfer case? would that keep things together...

ewill3rd
06-16-08, 07:22 AM
The issue is that without the front propshaft in place there is nothing to drive, if you know anything about open differentials it would be effectively the same thing as removing one axle.
The case would spin up but with a missing axle the differential would just sit and spin, the truck won't move and the planetary gearset used inside the transfer case will tear itself apart in seconds.
You could try to locate a 2WD Escalade, truthfully the mileage won't be that much better.
Even trying this could cause damage to the transfer case, trust me.

hcvone
06-16-08, 07:32 AM
I would not do that, read on a GM truck forum some tried it and ended up with an expensive repair bill that warranty would not cover. :(

BIG SPENDER
06-16-08, 10:54 AM
thanks for your input guy's... I guess I'll have to find another way to increase fuel mileage..

dkozloski
06-17-08, 02:44 AM
Put staggered wheel sizes on it; bigger in the rear than the front. That way you'll always be going downhill.

Max-Q
06-19-08, 04:28 AM
Put staggered wheel sizes on it; bigger in the rear than the front. That way you'll always be going downhill.

:histeric:

The driver mod is really the only thing you will be able to change that will increase your gas mileage. That and make sure your tires are properly inflated.

ewill3rd
06-19-08, 08:03 AM
You can put narrower tires on it to help reduce the rolling resistance. If you are rolling on dubs, you are paying for it in gas.
A smaller surface area on the tire contact patch will help increase mileage. Sure you may not look as cool going down the road....
Other than that just keep the tire pressures set right, keep the fluids at the proper levels and keep your foot out of it. I see a lot of folks trying to beat people to the next red light. That is a huge waste of fuel.

hcvone
06-19-08, 10:36 AM
You can put narrower tires on it to help reduce the rolling resistance. If you are rolling on dubs, you are paying for it in gas.
A smaller surface area on the tire contact patch will help increase mileage. Sure you may not look as cool going down the road....
Other than that just keep the tire pressures set right, keep the fluids at the proper levels and keep your foot out of it. I see a lot of folks trying to beat people to the next red light. That is a huge waste of fuel.

The added weight also kills mileage.