: Looking at getting a V. have some questions

Gerbonium
06-14-08, 06:01 AM
Ive loved these cars ever since i first drove one at GM's auto show in motion back in 04/05. Im gonna try to get an 05 as there are a few around my budget. My questions are mainly regarding the diff issue. i know its been discussed a lot but still have some questions. I dont plan on beating on it hard and do a lot of hard launches but the occasional one may come up:)

anyways... How worried should i be about the diff? i heard there was a recall on the diffs? is this true and was it to actually solve the exploding diff problems? also does the car still have to be under warranty?
I may get an anti wheelhop kit to reduce the wheelhop and hopefully prolong the life of the diff. im mainly worried bc buying an 05 the warranty isnt going to last a whole lot longer.

any other things to consider, especially when getting a used one. thanks a lot and am looking forward to hopefully getting one in the not too distant future

rand49er
06-14-08, 08:49 AM
Ive loved these cars ever since i first drove one at GM's auto show in motion back in 04/05. Im gonna try to get an 05 as there are a few around my budget. My questions are mainly regarding the diff issue. i know its been discussed a lot but still have some questions. I dont plan on beating on it hard and do a lot of hard launches but the occasional one may come up:)

anyways... How worried should i be about the diff? i heard there was a recall on the diffs? is this true and was it to actually solve the exploding diff problems? also does the car still have to be under warranty?
I may get an anti wheelhop kit to reduce the wheelhop and hopefully prolong the life of the diff. im mainly worried bc buying an 05 the warranty isnt going to last a whole lot longer.

any other things to consider, especially when getting a used one. thanks a lot and am looking forward to hopefully getting one in the not too distant futureI believe the recall involved the pinion seal only, not the diff in its entirety, and then it was just a portion of the '04s. The only way a dealer will replace one on their nickel is if you're under warranty. Not many '04s are still under warranty unless they have an extended one.

Wheelhop kit is certainly a good idea. A LOT of people have not had any problems with their diff even without a WH kit, but doing burnouts is a sure way to have them ... problems, that is.

Get a V, enjoy the power, enjoy the cornering, and enjoy the braking. You could have it for many years to come. However, abusing ANY car will hasten its demise, IMHO. Good luck!

Twitch
06-14-08, 08:52 AM
If you get one from a dealer, and can extend the warrenty, do it.
The diff is hit and miss. Some people replace them a few times. I am still on my first at 26K. I don't abuse the car, but I drive it hard. I know that it can go at any time
Most of them were replaced because of the whine. Not all of them shatter. Some people brake them doing a hard 1 - 2 shift. I've done hard 1 - 2 shifts, but I mostly try to ease the clutch out when I'm shifting. I think that's a big part of it.
Wheelhop kit is a good idea. Search my threads. I had a write up on the Specter bushings, with a video of me doing a burn out. I wouldn't recomend it though :shhh:.

The car has a bunch of little things. If you love the V, they won't bother you much. I think the biggest thing is all the rubber pieces (bushings, mounts). When you start changing them out to stronger parts, the car will be much better. Just keep in mind. When you do that, you'll get more road noise coming into the car.
Good luck

Tony

Gerbonium
06-14-08, 04:37 PM
Alright thanks for all the info. Im coming from a 95 v6 camaro with no options aka no power anything so im definitely ready for the step up. if i get it from a general used car dealer can i then take it to a caddy dealer to buy an extended warranty. one im looking at's warranty expires july 6